EU Referendum | UK residents vote today.

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the EU?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Best things I heard on the radio this morning was a Brexiter saying that the pound getting weaker is a great thing...
Think of the boost to exports blah blah blah, while input costs soar.

So while you lived in the UK you mainly voted for the most anti EU party and the cause of the referendum and now you have left the UK you complain about Brexit voters. fecking hell what an admission given your stance in this thread. I don't know how you have the face to make half the comments you have made given your stated voting record.

You seem to have as completely an irreconcilable position a David the hypocrite Cameron.

How come all the seemingly, certainly older, labour voters are voting to leave the EU. Remember when the UK joined the EEC it was Labour that was more opposed, policies change , as Zarlak said you don't agree with every policy a Party does, you vote for the Party that would be advantageous to your situation, hopefully without prejudices.
I can't remember the last time I voted as I haven't lived in the UK for 9 years. I have always been pro-EU though and there was never really a threat to leave before now.

Problem with this referendum it seems more about party sniping or political figure sniping than actually about the issue at hand which is the future of the UK.
The other problem is that people are misinformed from all directions and most have no idea what they are voting for, this is insanity.
If you have studied every aspect of Brexit and the obtained the truth and decide that for you this would be in your best interests, then I would have no problem with someone voting for Brexit.

But if people believe all the nonsense about saving £8.5bn and getting shot of a lot of immigrants and restoring the laws and of the UK which haven't gone) and the sovereignty argument, then this is absolute bull and is bewildering that people believe this.
No the EU is far from perfect but what the hell is the "realistic" alternative because even Brexit don't seem to know.

How come all the seemingly, certainly older, labour voters are voting to leave the EU. Remember when the UK joined the EEC it was Labour that was more opposed, policies change , as Zarlak said you don't agree with every policy a Party does, you vote for the Party that would be advantageous to your situation, hopefully without prejudices.
I can't remember the last time I voted as I haven't lived in the UK for 9 years. I have always been pro-EU though and there was never really a threat to leave before now.

Problem with this referendum it seems more about party sniping or political figure sniping than actually about the issue at hand which is the future of the UK.
The other problem is that people are misinformed from all directions and most have no idea what they are voting for, this is insanity.
If you have studied every aspect of Brexit and the obtained the truth and decide that for you this would be in your best interests, then I would have no problem with someone voting for Brexit.

But if people believe all the nonsense about saving £8.5bn and getting shot of a lot of immigrants and restoring the laws and of the UK which haven't gone) and the sovereignty argument, then this is absolute bull and is bewildering that people believe this.
No the EU is far from perfect but what the hell is the "realistic" alternative because even Brexit don't seem to know.

Doesn't help that both campaigns are being run by Tories and something like 40% of the airtime has been dominated by the Conservatives.

As all Brexiters know the realistic alternative is to get out of the EU.

Last edited:
get bashed about all over the place in negotiations before coming out with a deal that will cripple us and have another referendum saying shall we beg the EU to let us stay (probably on worse terms than we are now)
I beginning to believe that all Remainers have such a negative attitude to life that they daren't vote anything but Remain.

get bashed about all over the place in negotiations before coming out with a deal that will cripple us and have another referendum saying shall we beg the EU to let us stay (probably on worse terms than we are now)
Or more likely negotiate a far better free trade deal in double quick time with the credible threat of destroying the whole EU economy.

The threat of denying an already crippled europe 17% of their export market, will make them sing god save the queen with a scone an a cuppa in hand.

They will dance to our tune under the threat of mutualy assured economic destruction.

Or more likely negotiate a far better free trade deal in double quick time with the credible threat of destroying the whole EU economy.

The threat of denying an already crippled europe 17% of their export market, will make them sing god save the queen with a scone an a cuppa in hand.

They will dance to our tune under the threat of mutualy assured economic destruction.

You can tell your from Ashford.

The one near Kent, full of insufferable little Englanders.

:lol: Alright then.

I beginning to believe that all Remainers have such a negative attitude to life that they daren't vote anything but Remain.

Tell us the positives of leaving that does not include immigration. And even that just seems like guess work.

I'm still waiting to learn the "realistic" positives from brexit, and just to let you know, I stopped listening to fairy stories when I was about 3.

Presume this is a WUM

As all Brexiters know the realistic alternative is to get out of the EU.

If the EU were going to reform to our satisfaction, we should have seen the evidence of such progress during recent decades. Worst still, what evolution has taken place has been toward centralisation.

So we look to leave, confident in our own liberal values, with the object of continuing an economic relationship with our European neighbours. And i have no doubt that we shall cooperate on such issues as climate change, science, consumer protections e.t.c.

If the UK hasn't actually left yet, how would that even be possible? I fear that you have been hanging around George Osborne too much of late.

I am beginning to believe that all Remainers have such a negative attitude to life that they daren't vote anything but Remain.

We should consider ourselves fortunate that Sun didn't wheel out the Islamophobic and Enoch Powell insinuations.

If the EU were going to reform to our satisfaction, we should have seen the evidence of such progress during recent decades. Worst still, what evolution has taken place has been toward centralisation.

So we look to leave, confident in our own liberal values, with the object of continuing an economic relationship with our European neighbours. And i have no doubt that we shall cooperate on such issues as climate change, science, consumer protections e.t.c.

I still find it amusing you can say this, time and time again, with a straight face.

, confident in our own liberal values.

nigel-farage-hitler.jpg

Boris Johnson and that bald cnut Duncan Smith are like Maggie Thatcher on steroids. Any halfwit that votes for their future government by proxy deserves everything that comes their way. It will be brutal, too.

Boris Johnson and that bald cnut Duncan Smith are like Maggie Thatcher on steroids. Any halfwit that votes for their future government by proxy deserves everything that comes their way. It will be brutal, too.
Brutal on some - I imagine if your a rich pensioner you will be pretty much unscathed for example

I still find it amusing you can say this, time and time again, with a straight face.

And i find it sad that you doubt the people who live and work alongside you everyday. The people who have fought against and defeated infringements of our civil liberties, some of which supported by the EU itself.

For the first time in four decades i can express my democratic will directly, and i'm damn well not going to waste the opportunity. There are Remainers who will freely acknowledge that the EU has serious problems of course, the difference is that they aren't prepared to do anything about it.

Pretty easy as they would set ant terms if we wanted to re-join - e.g. no or reduced rebates

So we'll be re-joining something that we are still a part of? :confused:

The leader of a party with 1 MP, and he a man who spends much of his time at odds with said individual?

This coming from the same mind that expected UKIP to get 100+ seats at the last election.

Osbourne as really messed up with this threat of budget cuts backed up by the blairite Alistair darling.

So we look to leave, confident in our own liberal values,
with the object of continuing an economic relationship with our European neighbours. And i have no doubt that we shall cooperate on such issues as climate change, science, consumer protections e.t.c.
But what if you're not confident of our own liberal values, and see those as being significantly at risk from a move away from the EU's guaranteed protection of human and workers rights, and towards the model government of the likes of Boris, Farage, IDS and Gove?

I can't believe that you genuinely think that Britain will be a 'fairer' or more liberal country in five years time as a result of Brexit.

And i find it sad that you doubt the people who live and work alongside you everyday. The people who have fought against and defeated infringements of our civil liberties, some of which supported by the EU itself.

For the first time in four decades i can express my democratic will directly, and i'm damn well not going to waste the opportunity. There are Remainers who will freely acknowledge that the EU has serious problems of course, the difference is that they aren't prepared to do anything about it.

Yes. It's an exciting, and sad point, that for the second time in my life (the first being the AV referendum) my vote will actually count in a national UK election. The fact that, if we vote to leave the EU, it will be the last time my vote counts on anything bigger than local elections (unless the powers that be deign to, through their benevolence, offer us another referendum) because the same people who want to leave the EU are obstinately refusing to entertain any argument for reforming our electoral system, is sadder still. Oh hail the great champions of democracy Gove and Johnson.

But, purlease, anyone that sits there with a straight face and argues that the Labour or Conservative parties are great champions of 'liberal values' (whatever you actually mean by that) or will be, or could be, post-EU is, for the lack of a better word, deluding themselves. I mean you don't have to look too far to see that argument for the nonsense it is, do you? Theresa May is literally frothing at the mouth to abolish the European Bill of Human Rights so we can chill out with Belarus as the only country in Europe as bastions of 'liberal values'. Whatever you think of the EU's record on 'liberal values' the UK government's record on it, under successive governments, is absolutely horrific. So you might think its 'sad that I doubt the people who live and work alongside me everyday' but, really, its utterly irrelevant. What I doubt is the UK government, I doubt their ability, inclination and even desire to defend 'liberal values' and I doubt the UK electorate to vote in someone that does.

This coming from the same mind that expected UKIP to get 100+ seats at the last election.
Read my reply above before getting your knickers wet.

Also I was 20 studying econ. so nothing wrong in making mistakes.

You on the other hand predicted a labour sweep with all your knowledge, how did that work out for you.

To be fair, they were thoroughly dicked over by FPTP.
Yes, back then I dint know the general election does not work like MEP election. Was a first time voter.

Read my reply above before getting your knickers wet.

Also I was 20 studying econ. so nothing wrong in making mistakes.

You on the other hand predicted a labour sweep with all your knowledge, how did that work out for you.
I predicted a Labour/ Lib Dem coalition, even made a decent sized bet on it.

So not well, no. :(

Also - waddup from one econ grad to another. *waves*

I'm actually finding the behaviour of Osborne and Cameron not only nauseatingly predictable but embarrassing. Can't see Osborne lasting much longer if Brexit wins. Then again I can't see him lasting much longer if Remain win. Both of them have handled this badly and lost credibility with so many people, including their own MPs. Pretty sure Cameron will still be here whatever the outcome but both of them are coming across as nasty, petulant spoilt kids who just can't cope with not getting their own way.

Not a chance, they've lost their party now. Cameron will be out if we vote Leave, he couldn't possibly carry enough credibability to carry out the negotiations. His failed negotiations are why we're going to end up leaving.

Remain is a shambles.

Yes. It's an exciting, and sad point, that for the second time in my life (the first being the AV referendum) my vote will actually count in a national UK election. The fact that, if we vote to leave the EU, it will be the last time my vote counts on anything bigger than local elections (unless the powers that be deign to, through their benevolence, offer us another referendum) because the same people who want to leave the EU are obstinately refusing to entertain any argument for reforming our electoral system, is sadder still. Oh hail the great champions of democracy Gove and Johnson.

But, purlease, anyone that sits there with a straight face and argues that the Labour or Conservative parties are great champions of 'liberal values' (whatever you actually mean by that) or will be, or could be, post-EU is, for the lack of a better word, deluding themselves. I mean you don't have to look too far to see that argument for the nonsense it is, do you? Theresa May is literally frothing at the mouth to abolish the European Bill of Human Rights so we can chill out with Belarus as the only country in Europe as bastions of 'liberal values'. Whatever you think of the EU's record on 'liberal values' the UK government's record on it, under successive governments, is absolutely horrific. So you might think its 'sad that I doubt the people who live and work alongside me everyday' but, really, its utterly irrelevant. What I doubt is the UK government, I doubt their ability, inclination and even desire to defend 'liberal values' and I doubt the UK electorate to vote in someone that does.
Well said.

I predicted a Labour/ Lib Dem coalition, even made a decent sized bet on it.

So not well, no. :(

Also - waddup from one econ grad to another. *waves*
Howdy. Fello crystal ball gazer :D

No doubt. I'm really hoping Labour push for PR in the run up to 2020 (or sooner, if we have another election before then!).
The question though is would you ever want Ukip or Greens to have 10-15% of parliament?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.