EU Referendum | UK residents vote today.

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the EU?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The closer the referendum gets, the more annoyed I find myself at the fact that we actually have to vote on this. One of the biggest, most complicated and important political decisions we'll ever have to make... and it's being left to an uninformed electorate to decide who have no idea of the real ramifications of what a vote either way will really mean for our futures. Even intelligent voters who are trying to remain fully informed are still second guessing what this will all mean. What really is the point in Government if they abdicate such responsibility?

I glance down my Facebook feed and the amount of utterly ignorant posts on either side of the divide about this is just depressing. These people will get a say on it as well. Even the lad who posted the other day that Britain 'definitely shouldn't join the EU'. It really does feel like a sorry state of affairs.

Well those people also got a say in electing the loons you have in govt and don't forget you have a PM that was prepared to campaign for exit until he got those world shaking reforms

Well those people also got a say in electing the loons you have in govt and don't forget you have a PM that was prepared to campaign for exit until he got those world shaking reforms

And on the leave side you have Boris who would naturally have campaigned for 'remain'. If 'leave' wins, you'll likely end up with a PM in Government who would have preferred to stay in the EU were it not about furthering his own political agenda.

I just don't think that the Government should be shirking their responsibility when it comes to what may be the most important political decision of our life times. Whilst I have little faith in our politicians, I really don't think they are less informed than the vast majority of the people who will be voting in this referendum. In my opinion, they should have made the decision themselves and had the accountability for it.

Well yeah but the the referendum was used just to secure votes and it worked. Now we will see if there is a price to pay for that decision. If the uk leaves and all goes to shit, I will rejoice in the fact that "call me Dave" will be remembered only for that.

Having workers rights is great but only if you can keep people in work to have those rights. The EU is failing in growth and employing people particularly young people in southern Europe.

I don't want to waste huge amounts of the budget subsidising farming and underspending on R+D which could change the dynamic.

The EU spends its budget based on internal political expediency rather than on economic merit. If it keeps doing so it will continue to fail and there is no sign it is going to change.

There is not much point voting leave if the economy tanks because of it.

There is not much point voting remain if the EU carries on as it is denying there is a world outside of the EU in which it has underperformed.

Well as a citizen who comes from Southern Europe (the most Southern of Europe to be honest apart from Lampedusa) I beg to differ. We've got the 3rd least unemployment rate (less then Britain), a great standard of living and a great economy. Our major immigration influx comes from the Brits who come here without risking of being blamed of clogging our roads, stealing our jobs and raping our women.

If you are referring to countries like Italy well you cant really blame the EU for them being in shambles. For decades they were lead by a whorist, by Christian democrats who were in the mafia pockets and closet commies. No matter what they do these politicians seem to return again and again under a different party name but with the same greed. These days no one really gives a feck about politics. A big chunks of voters voted for a comic (a real comic not like Farage), the prime minister is an idiot and the opposition leader is similar to Farage but with less IQ (he actually went in a meeting were he insulted half of his voters) and much more nasty.

Italy today has record debts and an obsolete almost mafiaesque infrastructure which is inadequate for today's world. You only have to see the rights people on permanent contracts have which would put the Londoner's tube drivers into shame. I had the misfortune to have to work with them some years ago in a project and they have so many leave days that I ended up doing most of the work myself. Its a country built around the old people who have firm control over their world while the younger people struggle to find work or work for peanuts.

The EU is far from perfect and had let the Southern European countries down in a couple of things especially regarding immigration (so its ok for the Northern countries to bomb the hell out of Iraq, Syria and Libya but its not ok to then foot the consequences of it in terms of immigrants) but without the EU countries like Greece and Italy would be third world countries. It provides the Italians with the chance of leaving their country and work elsewhere + it keeps their politicians at bay.

There are many different factors that will affect the property market. Biggest one is confidence, then the other factors, purchase power, demand etc.
Central London is already hit and the luxury market has dropped significantly over the past 6/9 months with a fear of Brexit.
This doesn't apply so much to the average UK household, but if is likely foreign investment diminishes, companies leave the Uk to transfer into the EU.

It is inevitable that the Pound will take a hit on the currency exchanges which means that the cost of importing goods, food will rise considerably as the UK is a nett importer and that's without factoring in the Duties and taxes that will be applied to foreign goods depending on the 'new deals' that Brexit are arranging. Brexit even admit there will be a hit to the economy - they think short term, this I doubt.
How do people afford to buy houses when the value of the money in their pocket has greatly diminished and inevitable higher unemployment - thus reduced demand.

Young people trying to get on the housing ladder may be pleased but if the value of their money in their pocket has also diminished in value along with the price of houses then they still cannot afford to get on the ladder

Appreciate the response but I still see this as a proposed series of unfortunate events. I'm particularly interested as I'm going through the process of purchasing at the moment.

It's quite normal for houses to stall before a general election so i don't think that's unusual we'd see it now. Most of the foreign investment comes from outside the EU and it's still a small percentage so I'm not convinced that will negatively impact.

The economic side and the secondary impacts of that on the housing sector I do see as a concern but I don't think that will be rapid or as significant as made out. We're close to stagnation with or without this referendum so I have that concern anyway.

I am voting remain either way I was just trying to conclude if I was missing a peice of the puzzle or if it's just tied into a tanking economy. Probably the latter.

And on the leave side you have Boris who would naturally have campaigned for 'remain'. If 'leave' wins, you'll likely end up with a PM in Government who would have preferred to stay in the EU were it not about furthering his own political agenda.

I just don't think that the Government should be shirking their responsibility when it comes to what may be the most important political decision of our life times. Whilst I have little faith in our politicians, I really don't think they are less informed than the vast majority of the people who will be voting in this referendum. In my opinion, they should have made the decision themselves and had the accountability for it.

Holding a referendum was in the Conservative manifesto and was a highlight of their campaign. The electorate voted them into power on that basis.
I don't like Tories but I do like democracy, and if that means having a shit government and unnecessary referendums then so be it, in the long run democracy is the best system we have.

Holding a referendum was in the Conservative manifesto and was a highlight of their campaign. The electorate voted them into power on that basis.
I don't like Tories but I do like democracy, and if that means having a shit government and unnecessary referendums then so be it, in the long run democracy is the best system we have.

All 36% of the electorate did, yeah.

I don't think a referendum on Europe was the only reason the current Government were elected but I take your point... although it does make me chuckle that you might argue 'they have to do it because it was promised pre-election'... and what of all the other broken promises?!

Having a democratically elected Government make a decision on EU membership is not undemocratic... and in my opinion, is certainly preferable to leaving it to a far less informed electorate to decide.

Anyway, it was a ridiculous thing to put in their manifesto really and I suppose now the chickens are coming home to roost.

Speculation

Of course it's speculation. Posts like this are just beyond ridiculously absurd and completely pointless. Everything in this entire debate is speculation. The entire leave's campaign is speculation. You can't just try to dismiss something by pointing out it's speculation. So is all of what you hope or believe will happen if we leave. That's the entire point. You look at what could possibly happen in both scenarios and you look at what makes the most sense logically.

The closer the referendum gets, the more annoyed I find myself at the fact that we actually have to vote on this. One of the biggest, most complicated and important political decisions we'll ever have to make... and it's being left to an uninformed electorate to decide who have no idea of the real ramifications of what a vote either way will really mean for our futures. Even intelligent voters who are trying to remain fully informed are still second guessing what this will all mean. What really is the point in Government if they abdicate such responsibility?
It's absolutely scandalous.

The worlds fastest growing economies are all outside Europe, says something

Yes China and India - when the UK leaves the EU I'm sure the average British factory worker will be happy to receive as a salary a bowl of rice a day and a bunk in a dormitory inside the factory where they work

Last edited:
Of course it's speculation. Posts like this are just beyond ridiculously absurd and completely pointless. Everything in this entire debate is speculation. The entire leave's campaign is speculation. You can't just try to dismiss something by pointing out it's speculation. So is all of what you hope or believe will happen if we leave. That's the entire point. You look at what could possibly happen in both scenarios and you look at what makes the most sense logically.

Possibly it could be fantastic. My point is people offering up speculation as if it were factual and its always of a negative tone. Why not speculate how great it may be?

Possibly it could be fantastic. My point is people offering up speculation as if it were factual and its always of a negative tone. Why not speculate how great it may be?

Because that would be idiotic. It would be great if I won loads on blackjack, it would be awful if I gambled my wage trying to do it. There's two sides to every story, it's ridiculously naive to just speculate on how great it may be. Not to mention that 90% of the leave's campaign regarding immigration and the economy is also speculation being presented as fact.

Yes China and India - when the UK leaves the EU I'm sure the average British factory worker will be happy to receive as a salary a bowl of rice a day and a bunk in a dormitory inside the factory where they work

:lol:

You think I'm talking about adopting they're labour practices? UK don't even do that now and they're in the EU ffs

China not in top ten

Because that would be idiotic. It would be great if I won loads on blackjack, it would be awful if I gambled my wage trying to do it. There's two sides to every story, it's ridiculously naive to just speculate on how great it may be. Not to mention that 90% of the leave's campaign regarding immigration and the economy is also speculation being presented as fact.

Which part about immigration did they get wrong? The part about this govmt not meeting any of its immigrant targets by a distance?

Which part about immigration did they get wrong? The part about this govmt not meeting any of its immigrant targets by a distance?

I didn't say they got anything wrong, I said it was speculation presented as fact. The entire discussion is speculation. We don't know what will happen either way. That's why it's sensible to look at both sides rather than simply talk about what might be good, which may not even happen anyway and infact just leave us with negatives. So people can make their mind up properly.

You think I'm talking about adopting they're labour practices? UK don't even do that now and they're in the EU ffs

China not in top ten

Top 12
1 Papua New Guinea 16.00
2 Macau[3] 11.90
3 Turks and Caicos Islands[4] 11.20
4 Monaco 9.30
5 Ethiopia 8.70
6 Turkmenistan 8.50
7 Myanmar 8.50
8 Democratic Republic of the Congo 8.40
9 Cote d'Ivoire 8.20
10 Nauru 8.00
11 Bhutan 7.70
12 Maldives 7.60

You are not seriously expecting the UK to be like these tiny states or corrupt African countries

The way both sides have run their respective campaigns I wish there was an option to vote against both of them.

Haven't heard anyone make the argument yet from a 'European' standpoint - by which I mean, as someone who considers themselves European and as such feels breaking away from them is to leave people they feel one with. In the way 'I'm British' was an argument in the Scottish referendum.

Beginning to feel like I'm the only person in the country, possibly even Europe, who feels that way. I knew I was unusual in it but I didn't think I was unique...

Haven't heard anyone make the argument yet from a 'European' standpoint - by which I mean, as someone who considers themselves European and as such feels breaking away from them is to leave people they feel one with. In the way 'I'm British' was an argument in the Scottish referendum.

Beginning to feel like I'm the only person in the country, possibly even Europe, who feels that way. I knew I was unusual in it but I didn't think I was unique...

Are you absolutely certain we aren't the same person?

Top 12
1 Papua New Guinea 16.00
2 Macau[3] 11.90
3 Turks and Caicos Islands[4] 11.20
4 Monaco 9.30
5 Ethiopia 8.70
6 Turkmenistan 8.50
7 Myanmar 8.50
8 Democratic Republic of the Congo 8.40
9 Cote d'Ivoire 8.20
10 Nauru 8.00
11 Bhutan 7.70
12 Maldives 7.60

You are not seriously expecting the UK to be like these tiny states or corrupt African countries
You seem to think Britain will turn into any country outside the eu it may trade with.

All I'm saying is that in the last decade, countries in the EU are at the bottom of the league table, go look at the imf figures

All the guys I know who did Erasmus(or foreign languages) at uni seem to feel the same. Admit it DOTA, you just want to feel unique!

All the guys I know who did Erasmus(or foreign languages) at uni seem to feel the same. Admit it DOTA, you just want to feel unique!

Quite possibly.

No politicians I've seen are trying to make the argument though. Of course, they may be of a mind that anyone who feels that way has already made their decision as to how to vote - but it doesn't hurt to speak to people who've already made their mind up, as there is a big difference between 'I'll be voting in' and 'I'm determined to stay in and will be trying to convince others'.

You seem to think Britain will turn into any country outside the eu it may trade with.

All I'm saying is that in the last decade, countries in the EU are at the bottom of the league table, go look at the imf figures

No, but coming out of the EU is not going to help the UK economically - it will almost certainly drop even lower

Quite possibly.

No politicians I've seen are trying to make the argument though. Of course, they may be of a mind that anyone who feels that way has already made their decision as to how to vote - but it doesn't hurt to speak to people who've already made their mind up, as there is a big difference between 'I'll be voting in' and 'I'm determined to stay in and will be trying to convince others'.

I think this is the key point tbh. I'm not sure how big a group it is, I think ThierryHenry correctly identifies that the people that feel this way either speak a foreign language or have spent time in Europe and sadly neither of those groups are particularly huge, and I'd say close to 100% of people in that group will vote to remain.

I think this is the key point tbh. I'm not sure how big a group it is, I think ThierryHenry correctly identifies that the people that feel this way either speak a foreign language or have spent time in Europe and sadly neither of those groups are particularly huge, and I'd say close to 100% of people in that group will vote to remain.
Fair enough.

I was writing that thinking 'I've just answered my own question - how do I still justify complaining?'.

Joey Essex has joined the Leave campaign! I think that just about says it all really.

On top of that, at a rally today when questioned if they were in or out, loads of people said they didn't know what that meant, they were just at the event to see Joey fecking Essex. The sad state of Britain in 2016.

How do those voting for leave think it will affect us? I'm seriously struggling to decide but i think remain is the most logical vote based on what I've heard and read.

Has anybody put together proposals for where we go if we do leave?

20150413_huss.jpg

How do those voting for leave think it will affect us? I'm seriously struggling to decide but i think remain is the most logical vote based on what I've heard and read.

Has anybody put together proposals for where we go if we do leave?
Michael Gove and Nigel Farage have, while Boris Johnson is positioning himself to hope to implement them. They're going to make Britain great again.

Speaking of - you guys seen that Trump is coming to the UK the day after the referendum? I feel like that can only help remain.

I feel like that can only help remain.

Bumbling Buffoon Boris and Racist Nige, and Mental Michael (Gove) leading the charge, and with morons like Joey Essex on their side, that sums up the leave campaign crew for me, and it's just topped by the fact Trump wants us to leave as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.