EU Referendum | UK residents vote today.

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the EU?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Brexit campaign have had years to present a detailed argument about what the future outside of EU would look like. They are making a hash job of if so far.
You can accuse the other side of scare mongering all you want but as we saw with the Scotish referendum, if you can't give a conclusive argument about the future, your campaign will ultimately fail.

@Revan

Why do you say that?

Because UK never wanted to be completely in EU. No Euro and especially no Schengen. There isn't an another EU country who opted out on both of those.

Leavin EU is the best option IMO. If it works (which I am sure it will not) then great for you. If not then when you ask to join it is without special privileges.

Today could be the crucial moment in the referendum. You don't get a bigger gun than Obama to wheel out and he totally killed it. Then you have Boris and Farage for remain looking like xenophobic troglodytes in comparison.

I think a lot of undecided voters will now be swayed to remain.

@Revan

Why do you say that?
Yup, news bulletins leading with "back of the queue" is not good for Leavers talk of even better trade deals awaiting once we step off the cliff. The word "risk!" will be synonymous with "leave" by the end of June.

Hope Boris is equally as vocal if Marine Le Pen decides to come over.

I love that they seem think they're actually going to help the cause by coming over.:lol:

The leave campaign is becoming more and more of a joke by the day as it stands.

I think you're dodging the question. Do you still believe that Britain will be better off, and able to construct 'bespoke' trade deals at a whim as you have claimed before?

Yes or No?

I have never said that they could be agreed upon at a whim, that is a misrepresentation entirely of your own making and something i would not expect from you. This debate has been a rather illuminating one though, particularly in regard t the shameful state of the mainstream left in Britain.

But do i think that the UK can be more prosper outside of the EU? Yes
Do i think that the trade deals we reach could be more suitable for us? Yes

We wish to stand together with our friends the world over, not a pack of power hungry leeches in Brussels.

Am i right to assume that you wish to stand at the front of the queue for TTIP? I suppose it is at least consistent with the EU's dodgy practices.

We will get a better deal through TTIP then we'd get post exit. I am not sure however that TTIP will happen

I have never said that they could be agreed upon at a whim, that is a misrepresentation entirely of your own making and something i would not expect from you. This debate has been a rather illuminating one though, particularly in regard t the shameful state of the mainstream left in Britain.

But do i think that the UK can be more prosper outside of the EU? Yes
Do i think that the trade deals we reach could be more suitable for us? Yes

Ok, maybe I am mis-representing the ease with which you believe the UK would be able to sort trade deals, if I have, I apologise.

Anyway, that brings me to my next question. On what authority do you believe these statements to be true? I can understand scepticism of the forecasts we have seen so far, but are you basing the belief that we would in fact be better off on any sort of equivalent projection or is it just a belief?

Genuinely asking, not trying to be awkward.

Courtesy of one of someone i follow on Twitter:

RMT Press Office:

The European Parliament’s decision this week to back the opening up of all rail routes across the EU to more competition for private operators was just one more reason to vote Leave on June 23, transport union RMT said today.

Under the proposals in the EU’s so-called Fourth Railway Package, train operators would have complete access to the networks of member states to operate domestic passenger services.

The European Council had already agreed that mandatory competitive tendering should be the main way of awarding public service contracts.

RMT general secretary Mick Cash said that the failed Tory privatisation of rail over twenty years ago using EU directive 91/440 was now being imposed on 500 million people by EU diktat without a mandate.

“This rail package is designed to privatise railways across Europe and its proposals are remarkably similar to the McNulty report on the future of GB railways, imposing further fragmentation and attacks on workers.

“McNulty, the Tory government and the EU share the business-led mania for privatisation and agree on the need to jack up fares and attack jobs, pay and pensions to pay for it, no-one has voted for that.

“It is impossible to make changes to this privatisation juggernaut inside the undemocratic EU so the only solution is to get out by voting Leave on June 23,” he said.
I take it this is another thing we don't have a say on. No matter who (which UK party) we vote for we still don't have a say. That folks is what use your vote is if we Remain in this undemocratic body of bureaucrats.

Well Obama won't be in power for much longer will he, so he won't have much influence on anything. Then again he didn't have much influence on anything when he was in power.
You think Hilary or Trump will be in a rush for a trade deal with the UK? Expect America's attitude to be the same regardless of who the president is, especially if it's Hilary.

Fecking hell, I just googled Trump, as you do, and got this:

I had been actively looking for links land in Europe for the past few years, and of course my preference was Scotland over any other country because I am half Scottish. My Mother, Mary MacLeod, was from Stornoway on the Isle of Lewis. She grew up in a simple croft until she landed in Manhattan at the age of 20 and her first language was Gaelic.

I had no idea. I am quite shocked at my ignorance. God knows what it means though, most of the Scots hate the English more than the Kenyans do.

You think Hilary or Trump will be in a rush for a trade deal with the UK? Expect America's attitude to be the same regardless of who the president is, especially if it's Hilary.
You don't know what will happen do you. Haven't got a clue. You talk as if trading with the US is for the privileged few. It's not and it won't be dependent on the whim of a President either. They're not going to freeze us out either if we Leave, because once we've left we've left and like most sensible people they'll just get on with their own life. They couldn't give a toss whether we leave or not so don't pretend they're bothered by all this. They're not.

You don't know what will happen do you. Haven't got a clue. You talk as if trading with the US is for the privileged few. It's not and it won't be dependent on the whim of a President either. They're not going to freeze us out either if we Leave, because once we've left we've left and like most sensible people they'll just get on with their own life. They couldn't give a toss whether we leave or not so don't pretend they're bothered by all this. They're not.

This sums up the Brexit perfectly

I am not the one making assumptions and predictions. The brexiters are the ones saying the UK will go around signing bespoke deals favourable for the UK. They are the ones making the assertion that the UK will hold bargaining power in the negotiations.

Fecking hell, I just googled Trump, as you do, and got this:

I had been actively looking for links land in Europe for the past few years, and of course my preference was Scotland over any other country because I am half Scottish. My Mother, Mary MacLeod, was from Stornoway on the Isle of Lewis. She grew up in a simple croft until she landed in Manhattan at the age of 20 and her first language was Gaelic.

I had no idea. I am quite shocked at my ignorance. God knows what it means though, most of the Scots hate the English more than the Kenyans do.

He has a golf course up there.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...tect-Scottish-golf-course-from-wind-farm.html

Bombshell from Obama .Brexit will say it's scaremongering on a huge scale.

Well the fear mongering campaign has certainly scared a few on here hasn't it.

You're a gullible lot. ;)

You haven't answered my earlier question. You may vote Labour to re-nationalise the railways but they want to stay in Europe. Thus you can't have it both ways.

It doesn't concern me too much as I'll never live in the UK again.
I think it's Brexit who are the gullible ones, the fear mongering is done by them but have shown zero vision or clue of what will happen if the UK leaves.
But I am concerned that my country of birth are going to make an enormous irreversible mistake.

The 3 "big " powers in Europe ie Germany France and the UK (apologies to other countries) should stick together - if the unimaginable happens the UK will be like a small boat cast off into the ocean all alone with no sight of land but thinks it's an oil tanker with a pot of gold waiting in a port just over the horizon. Alas...

You haven't answered my earlier question. You may vote Labour to re-nationalise the railways but they want to stay in Europe. Thus you can't have it both ways.

It doesn't concern me too much as I'll never live in the UK again.
I think it's Brexit who are the gullible ones, the fear mongering is done by them but have shown zero vision or clue of what will happen if the UK leaves.
But I am concerned that my country of birth are going to make an enormous irreversible mistake.

The 3 "big " powers in Europe ie Germany France and the UK (apologies to other countries) should stick together - if the unimaginable happens the UK will be like a small boat cast off into the ocean all alone with no sight of land but thinks it's an oil tanker with a pot of gold waiting in a port just over the horizon. Alas...
You see what I mean, you're half way down panic street already.

If Brexit was such a risk do you honestly think so many politicians would be for it. No of course they wouldn't, neither would so many business men, particularly small businesses. Brexit isn't just the wish of a few daft people with no sense, it's the wish of an awful lot of very educated people, some with one hell of a lot more knowledge of the subject than we will ever have.

Think about it. If you take away the Cameron mouthpieces (of which there are many) and the countries in whose interest it is for us to stay in the EU, you aren't left with much credible opposition in the Bremain camp. There's Cameron and Osborne left of course, who are stuck together on this because if one goes the other will most certainly follow. They're both adept at fiddling facts and misleading the public and neither is remotely trustworthy as we all know so they're hardly credible, yet everyone's suddenly falling hook line and sinker for everything they say. Why! Makes no sense does it.

Countries will get on just the same too after Brexit, once the dust settles. They will do because it's the sensible thing to do. We will not be isolated at all because other countries will still need us and we are interlinked in so many ways. You Bremainers do seem to talk as if countries are like sulky children who refuse to play with someone who might have offended them. It's plain silly. For one thing our intelligence services leave the rest of Europe standing so they'll need to be very nice to us in the coming years if they're to stay safe. We're also a member of the FVEY and frankly the whole of Europe is in awe of their intelligence capabilities, so we certainly won't be isolated from a safety and security standpoint. Our army/security deals are not with Europe either, they're with NATO.

Added to which our trade with the rest of the world is already higher than our trade with Europe so we are trading with the rest of the world, just as we have been for centuries. We're not going to suddenly stop either. There are more markets out there too, some of which we can't tap into because of EU regs/blocks. The EU is not propping us up you know, if anything we're helping to prop them up.

So then, what's this enormous irreversible mistake you talk about?

You see what I mean, you're half way down panic street already.

If Brexit was such a risk do you honestly think so many politicians would be for it. No of course they wouldn't, neither would so many business men, particularly small businesses. Brexit isn't just the wish of a few daft people with no sense, it's the wish of an awful lot of very educated people, some with one hell of a lot more knowledge of the subject than we will ever have.

Think about it. If you take away the Cameron mouthpieces (of which there are many) and the countries in whose interest it is for us to stay in the EU, you aren't left with much credible opposition in the Bremain camp. There's Cameron and Osborne left of course, who are stuck together on this because if one goes the other will most certainly follow. They're both adept at fiddling facts and misleading the public and neither is remotely trustworthy as we all know so they're hardly credible, yet everyone's suddenly falling hook line and sinker for everything they say. Why! Makes no sense does it.

Countries will get on just the same too after Brexit, once the dust settles. They will do because it's the sensible thing to do. We will not be isolated at all because other countries will still need us and we are interlinked in so many ways. You Bremainers do seem to talk as if countries are like sulky children who refuse to play with someone who might have offended them. It's plain silly. For one thing our intelligence services leave the rest of Europe standing so they'll need to be very nice to us in the coming years if they're to stay safe. We're also a member of the FVEY and frankly the whole of Europe is in awe of their intelligence capabilities, so we certainly won't be isolated from a safety and security standpoint. Our army/security deals are not with Europe either, they're with NATO.

Added to which our trade with the rest of the world is already higher than our trade with Europe so we are trading with the rest of the world, just as we have been for centuries. We're not going to suddenly stop either. There are more markets out there too, some of which we can't tap into because of EU regs/blocks. The EU is not propping us up you know, if anything we're helping to prop them up.

So then, what's this enormous irreversible mistake you talk about?

Thats possibly the stupidest argument I've ever heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.