EU Referendum | UK residents vote today.

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the EU?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think you understand that, if we votes to leave, we will still be in the EU for another two years where negotiations will be thrashed out. Treatise could be set up similar to Switzerland and Norway, but it is impossible to know what will happen.

You seem to be assuming that if we vote out, we'll be immediately out of the EU, and no longer a trading partner.

I don't assume that at all, in fact I've been very clear in that I understand that. I don't think you understand that the two years we will still be in the EU for has nothing to do with thrashing out trade negotiations. You don't seem to understand that those two years is soley to negotiate our release from the EU and nothing to do with our future. It's possible that we could do both simultaneously, but you don't seem to accept that trade agreements do not get set up in 2 years. It's unheard of. It's far too large an undertaking. I don't think you understand that previous experience of these agreements being set up has it completed in around 10 years. This is the point that is being hammered home constantly.

If the UK votes leave his position must surely become untenable. It's a scary thought as to the options that might replace him though.

At least it would leave a leadership campaign that would revolve around the options available.

I think they'd be without a sufficient mandate and with so many years to go they'd have to call another general election in 2017/2018. That to me puts the decision back a couple of years and Labour may even fight on a position of another referendum.

I think I'm speaking from a position of hope there more than anything but I just can't see it being a quick and seamless process. These type of referendums have never been quick and easy.

I really can't believe how close this has got... it should be a no contest. Pretty much ever single Brexit argument is threadbare at best, and more often then not, completely pie in the sky.

How can you be convinced about something that is uncertain?
As I've been saying, we do not know what agreements will be in place with us leaving. It is in Europe's best interests that we continue to trade as we have been.
And it will be the EU's interest for us to rejoin again in the future if we left. If Britain left, and France after us, changes will have to be made in order to prevent a collapse of the EU.

Most people here are probably just fearful of the uncertainty itself, which is understandable.

I suggest you watch that professor Michael dougan video on YouTube

Like what?

No one has left the EU.

There will be two years for us to set up treaties and agreements etc.

And you want an educated debate?

Ok, so you assume that we're all going to be friends for two years trading merrily, knowing that it's all going to shit after those two years?

You are mistaken

The first 2 years are to negotiate the 'divorce' agreement. What happens to the legal rights, work rights, social rights etc of the EU immigrants currently in the country, and on the flip side what happens to the 2 million UK citizens living/working in other EU countries. And other such things. The first 2 years are not to negotiate new trade, it's to specify how to breakup.

There is a different process then to negotiate new trade deals etc (if EU want), which typically on average takes more than 10 years. Our government capacity on average is negotiating 2 per year btw..

If you honestly think that there won't be a negative financial impact to everyone upon leaving then you are seriously taken in by the lies and half truths that brexit are peddling. I urge you to watch that video posted earlier (professor dougan)

Which rules out a negative short term impact, as somebody above predicted.

With another two years of us remaining in the EU, it gives us time to compromise on the issues that the British people are concerned about. The EU won't have a choice but to concede in certain areas, or lose us.
Personally I think that things will be worked out over that time, but its all conjecture.

No, when you're gone, you're gone - no turning back - exactly what I was saying earlier, the UK can't pick and chose what you want about the EU - In or Out - that's the choice.

The negative short term impact would be when the markets have lost all confidence in the Uk and the pound devalues and the stock market goes down and foreign investors dry up and companies start moving from the Uk into other EU countries and jobs start disappearing, that's the short term impact.

I don't assume that at all, in fact I've been very clear in that I understand that. I don't think you understand that the two years we will still be in the EU for has nothing to do with thrashing out trade negotiations. You don't seem to understand that those two years is soley to negotiate our release from the EU and nothing to do with our future. It's possible that we could do both simultaneously, but you don't seem to accept that trade agreements do not get set up in 2 years. It's unheard of. It's far too large an undertaking. I don't think you understand that previous experience of these agreements being set up has it completed in around 10 years. This is the point that is being hammered home constantly.

I'm not sure where you get 10 years from. Britain is a friendly nation, and very flexible to deal with. It is also a very important business partner to Europe. A trade deal between Australia and the USA took ten months (2003 - 2004).

I really can't believe how close this has got... it should be a no contest. Pretty much ever single Brexit argument is threadbare at best, and more often then not, completely pie in the sky.
It's shown that half of the U.K. can't think for themselves, sucked in by flag waving

I'm not sure where you get 10 years from. Britain is a friendly nation, and very flexible to deal with. It is also a very important business partner to Europe. A trade deal between Australia and the USA took ten months (2003 - 2004).
10 years is the average, as most economists will tell you. Stop arguing from an uninformed level. Watch the bloody videos from people who know what they're talking about

No, when you're gone, you're gone - no turning back - exactly what I was saying earlier, the UK can't pick and chose what you want about the EU - In or Out - that's the choice.

The negative short term impact would be when the markets have lost all confidence in the Uk and the pound devalues and the stock market goes down and foreign investors dry up and companies start moving from the Uk into other EU countries and jobs start disappearing, that's the short term impact.

Where are you getting this from?

10 years is the average, as most economists will tell you. Stop arguing from an uninformed level. Watch the bloody videos from people who know what they're talking about

I gave you an example of a trade agreement between the USA and Australia taking 10 months. Give me an example of a friendly European country having to wait 10 years for a trade agreement.

It started in 2001, agreed in 2004 and implemented in 2005.

A lot of people suggest Canada is a model. Canada's deal with the EU started with preliminary talks in 2004, before negotiations started in 2009, and an agreement in principle was obtained in 2013. It's still not ratified yet. And that deal was focused on goods - our dealings with the EU are around services, which are significantly harder to negotiate.

As is the case with all things, the longer the negotiations, the better the deal. So we could definitely do a "shotgun" trade deal if we wanted, but it's not going to be a very good one if we did. Such a trade deal would likely be biased towards the larger countries thanks to geopolitics, too - and the UK is smaller than the US and the EU.

Where are you getting this from?

Which bit

The first bit is - a vote to be in or out - simple -not whether we'll keep the cheap flights within Europe or cheap telephone calls or we don't have to pay import duty on Sauerkraut from Germany or Champagne from France but we don't want all the nasty things like immigrants

The second part is experts opinion and also imo common sense

You are aware that other countries have set up trade agreements with the EU before, right? That's exactly where the 10 years is coming from. This is not a new thing, this is a standard. How friendly we are is irrelevant. Your argument is laughable. As if EU member states will say 'yeah guys, come on the Brits are friendly, let's make this one quick'. This argument is a joke, there's no education or academic application to it. It's another general vague statement devoid of context. If you're going to make a claim, back it up with something. How exactly does Britain being friendly and flexible mean that a complicated process that other friendly and flexible countries see take many many years suddenly mean we'll do it inside 2 whilst at the same time carrying out a comprehensive review of our entire legal system and negotiating our release from the EU?

Last edited:
You are aware that other countries have set up trade agreements with the EU before, right? That's exactly where the 10 years is coming from. This is not a new thing, this is a standard. How friendly we are is irrelevant. Your argument is laughable. As if EU member states will say 'yeah guys, come on the Brits are friendly, let's make this one quick'. This argument is a joke, there's no education or academic application to it. It's another general vague statement devoid of context. If you're going to make a claim, back it up with something. How exactly does Britain being friendly and flexible mean that a complicated process that other friendly and flexible countries see take many many years suddenly mean we'll do it inside 2 whilst at the same time carrying out a comprehensive review of our entire legal system and negotiating our release from the EU?

As an aside, I find the idea of the EU thinking 'the Brits are friendly' to be one of the most amusing things I've read in this whole debate.

It started in 2001, agreed in 2004 and implemented in 2005.

It didn't start in 2001. It was in 2001 that America expressed a desire to trade with Australia. Negotiations began in April 2003, and we're signed off in January 2004.

A lot of people suggest Canada is a model. Canada's deal with the EU started with preliminary talks in 2004, before negotiations started in 2009, and an agreement in principle was obtained in 2013. It's still not ratified yet. And that deal was focused on goods - our dealings with the EU are around services, which are significantly harder to negotiate.

As is the case with all things, the longer the negotiations, the better the deal. So we could definitely do a "shotgun" trade deal if we wanted, but it's not going to be a very good one if we did. Such a trade deal would likely be biased towards the larger countries thanks to geopolitics, too - and the UK is smaller than the US and the EU.

Much of the trade dynamics are already in place, and the UK is a major buyer and customer. The EU also needs us to trade.
There will be two years to set up agreements, but it's this aspect of our leaving that is most uncertain.

As an aside, I find the idea of the EU thinking 'the Brits are friendly' to be one of the most amusing things I've read in this whole debate.

Britain is a friendly nation. There are situations that can affect trade relations, particularly where issues like ITAR regulations are involved etc...

It didn't start in 2001. It was in 2001 that America expressed a desire to trade with Australia. Negotiations began in April 2003, and we're signed off in January 2004.

Much of the trade dynamics are already in place, and the UK is a major buyer and customer. The EU also needs us to trade.
There will be two years to set up agreements, but it's this aspect of our leaving that is most uncertain.

I'm sorry but you're misunderstanding fundamentals. We are not a major EU buyer. We do not buy from the EU. The EU does not need us to trade. We do not ship boxes with 'The EU' written as the recipient on the label. We ship to individual countries within the EU. We ship to some, we do not ship to others. The countries that we do purchase from, it comes to about 10% of that countries exports. If we leave the EU, 'the EU' does not need to make back any trade. Country A needs to make back 10% of its exports. Country B needs to make back 10% of its exports. Countries C, D and E could not give less of a shit as they do not trade with us at all. Country F needs to make back 10% of its exports. Etc. Understanding this is key. Meanwhile we have to replace 45% of our current exports. Can you see who is the more desperate party here? Your insistence that we are a major party to the EU who cannot survive without is is simply false. We lose more by leaving than EU countries lose by us leaving.

When it comes to negotiating a trade deal, countries A, B, C, D, E and F all need to agree to the deal before it can come into place. Countries C, D and E do not trade with us and must be given an incentive to sign a deal that gives us favourable treatment. They can reject any deal they see fit. They couldn't care less about us, we have no impact on them. We have much, much, much more to replace if we leave than the EU does. This gives them the stronger hand and the power in the discussion which means we accept unfavourable terms to get a quick deal or we reject deal after deal like Switzerland did, suffering economically in the meantime for years until we're forced to take back the things we left to give up in the first place.

You are aware that other countries have set up trade agreements with the EU before, right? That's exactly where the 10 years is coming from. This is not a new thing, this is a standard. How friendly we are is irrelevant. Your argument is laughable. As if EU member states will say 'yeah guys, come on the Brits are friendly, let's make this one quick'. This argument is a joke, there's no education or academic application to it. It's another general vague statement devoid of context. If you're going to make a claim, back it up with something.

And all these agreements will become void for the UK aswell if the Brexit happens. That is something people arguing in favour of the Brexit also often don´t consider. They cite the two years severence period from the EU as enough time to negotiate a new trade deal. This is not only unrealistic in case of the potential EU-UK agreement, but also ignores there will be many more treaties to sign which they formerly used under the banner of the EU.

Some people seem to not realise how much work will be coming towards UK polititians and bureaucrats here and how much money that will cost.

And all these agreements will become void for the UK aswell if the Brexit happens. That is something people arguing in favour of the Brexit also often don´t consider. They cite the two years severence period from the EU as enough time to negotiate a new trade deal. This is not only unrealistic in case of the potential EU-UK agreement, but also ignores there will be many more treaties to sign which they formerly used under the banner of the EU.

Some people seem to not realise how much work will be coming towards UK polititians and bureaucrats here and how much money that will cost.

Yup. It's laughable. All the people sat there saying 'what, are you telling me that if we leave this, this and this is going to happen? :lol:' and the response is literally 'YES. THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT EU MEMBERSHIP MEANS.'

Started talking EU referendum at work. Older lady got angry when I said I didn't feel like Europe controled my life, she snapped back that we were only allowed energy efficient light bulbs. I guess shes right but this is the level of many Brexiters thinking

Britain is a friendly nation. There are issues that can affect trade relations, particularly where issues like ITAR regulations are involved etc...

From an EU perspective the UK has been anything but friendly. I mean you only have to look at the collection of issues where we get special treatment already to realise we're one of the biggest sources of internal opposition within the EU. Moreover, we're talking about a situation where the UK voters have literally turned around and told the EU can they go shove their union up their arse. Making the argument (probably wrongly) that we'd quickly form trade deals out of good economic sense is one thing, but to argue we'd do it because of Britain's so called friendliness is an entirely different one.

We can't all keep repeating the same thing over and over again - the agreements in place now mean nothing , the uk has to agree a free trade deal with 27 other countries not one - the Uk is a nett importer so it needs the Eu more thn the EU needs the UK - it will be so weak when negotaiting and the EU will not do it any favours - it will take a long long time to sort this mess out.

Started talking EU referendum at work. Older lady got angry when I said I didn't feel like Europe controled my life, she snapped back that we were only allowed energy efficient light bulbs. I guess shes right but this is the level of many Brexiters thinking

I'm 60 and I get angry when young people want to destroy their lives and their family's by leaving

Alot of trade deals are not of the fully all encompassing nature that is the EU's. We will get trade deals if we exit, but nothing so comprehensive

Of course. Trade negotiations with all the countries would have to be thrashed out. This goes without saying, but we are talking about how it affects nations in the EU.

But who the feck cares about light bulbs. Anyone that cares more about what light bulbs we can have than whether themselves or their kids will be forced to endure a recession for many years is a fecking idiot. I can never believe when people bring up bananas or light bulbs as a reason to feck ourselves over economically.

Should we end up leaving I'm kind of looking forward to Cameron and Osbourne doing a 180 on their rhetoric. We know they're comfortable doing so, they're masters at it but it'll be interested to see how quick their tone changes.

But who the feck cares about light bulbs. Anyone that cares more about what light bulbs we can have than whether themselves or their kids will be forced to endure a recession for many years is a fecking idiot. I can never believe when people bring up bananas or light bulbs as a reason to feck ourselves over economically.
Or pillows :lol:

I'm sorry but you're misunderstanding fundamentals. We are not a major EU buyer. We do not buy from the EU. The EU does not need us to trade. We do not ship boxes with 'The EU' written as the recipient on the label. We ship to individual countries within the EU. We ship to some, we do not ship to others. The countries that we do purchase from, it comes to about 10% of that countries exports. If we leave the EU, 'the EU' does not need to make back any trade. Country A needs to make back 10% of its exports. Country B needs to make back 10% of its exports. Countries C, D and E could not give less of a shit as they do not trade with us at all. Country F needs to make back 10% of its exports. Etc. Understanding this is key. Meanwhile we have to replace 45% of our current exports. Can you see who is the more desperate party here? Your insistence that we are a major party to the EU who cannot survive without is is simply false. We lose more by leaving than EU countries lose by us leaving.

When it comes to negotiating a trade deal, countries A, B, C, D, E and F all need to agree to the deal before it can come into place. Countries C, D and E do not trade with us and must be given an incentive to sign a deal that gives us favourable treatment. They can reject any deal they see fit. They couldn't care less about us, we have no impact on them. We have much, much, much more to replace if we leave than the EU does. This gives them the stronger hand and the power in the discussion which means we accept unfavourable terms to get a quick deal or we reject deal after deal like Switzerland did, suffering economically in the meantime for years until we're forced to take back the things we left to give up in the first place.

There will be countries in the EU eager to trade with us as they have been. This will put pressure on the EU to make sure the trade dynamics are in place. But once again, this area is extremely vague and uncertain.

You've forgotten cucumbers:lol:

You're forgetting hoovers. Can't even hoover up dirt any more due to these piss poor EU vacuums, no wonder this country is a mess

There will be countries in the EU eager to trade with us as they have been. This will put pressure on the EU to make sure the trade dynamics are in place. But once again, this area is extremely vague and uncertain.

Cite evidence for this or it's once again a vague statement devoid of context. And address the other points I raised, ignoring them doesn't make them go away. This area is not vague and uncertain at all, again the fact that you keep saying that doesn't make it true. The positives are uncertain, the negatives are very well known possibilities.

The state of the media in this country when 'David Beckham backs Remain' is fecking front page news on the BBC.

Status
Not open for further replies.