EU Referendum | UK residents vote today.

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the EU?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably been posted before but a timely reminder of why some do not want to be governed by Brussels.

Yeah TTIP is definitely worrying from the left's perspective. Although it has to be ratified by each respective member state government, but given the Tories are in charge, that would be easy to get I imagine.

Yes, and the Greeks still vote to remain in the EU, and still vote to stay with the Euro, despite the conditions.
As for Healey and the IMF, I once read the loan was repaid in less than 12 months, it was used for stability rather than spending. so not really like Greece.

They were forced to make huge changes to spending etc before they IMF gave the the 4 billion. So like Greece they were given loans when in a financial mess and almost bankrupt with lots of conditions on these loans. That is what I was going for.

Yeah TTIP is definitely worrying from the left's perspective. Although it has to be ratified by each respective member state government, but given the Tories are in charge, that would be easy to get I imagine.

So irrelevant. The Tories would negotiate something far more authoritarian given half a chance. Same has happened in Australia.

The remain camp is a shambles. They have let the Leave camp run away with the narrative that we can have our cake and eat it.
Nigel Farage was on tv last month saying we would take back control of immigration and sign a better deal.
The remain camp haven't stressed the bolted points enough. It's partly because he remain camp is ran by people who have at some point in the past, pushed that silly agenda for short term gain.

True.

As an outsider I´m pretty astouned how this vote can be this close. The case here is actually pretty cut and dry IMO and the remain campaign should be able to advertise it as such.

The "leave" camp often times advertises it as an act of regaining independence from Brussels, Paris and Berlin. What it effectively does is hitting the reset button on pretty much all trade treaties GB has, including not only the one under the banner of the EU but also most countries outside of it as these treaties were made with the EU and GB as memberstate of it.

Reforging said treaties will be a massive bureaucratic and political undertaking to say the least, bigger than pretty much anything that was done by single country before (this is why no one really has a clue how this will play out in detail) as the established treaties were not created all at once. This will take years upon years and cost enourmous sums of money.

Now, what will happen in terms of the relations between GB and the EU? As of right now I can´t see a feasible way for GB to trade with the EU outside the rules of the single market. Given the large percentage of the trade GB does with the EU having the old legal borders back in effect would hurt the economy immensively. In the end GB will (re)enter the single market, this time not as part of the EU but under a treaty between the EU and GB as outside party. One of the first things the EU will demand (outside money of course) is probably to have the regulations of free travel back in effect.

Single market and free travel are two of the biggest pillars of the EU and make up a large part of its rules. That means that GB will again have to follow said rules, but this time with a key difference: As they are no longer a (major) memberstate they have little to no influence how the rules will be changed or made.

The Brexit won´t unshakle GB from Brussels, it will make them lose influence there. This is not an act to regain independence, it is an act to lose power. A really, really bad deal all around to bring a country in a way worse position of negotiations than before.

I'll be voting to leave, but I think it will only delay our inevitable joining the EU in the future. At least we may have a little more bargaining power if we vote to leave, instead of us falling over and kissing Brussels arse.
I think it'll be similar to the government's desire to change the Sunday trading law. The Sunday shopping proposal was defeated in parliament, but they eventually managed to force it through, because they wanted it so badly. If anything negative happens to the British economy after a possible leave EU vote, governments can blame brexit, and I can see re-votes happening until we eventually end up in the EU.

There are loads of warnings for and against being part of the EU, but the fact is, no one really knows exactly how it will effect us until it happens. But I'm certain whatever the result of the vote on the 27th, we will eventually end up in the EU. When Cameron says it's a one time vote, that's bollocks. When the government want something, they won't stop till they get it.
I really dont think we will get a better deal if we leave then ask to come back in. I doubt we would get back the rebate second time around, we probably wouldnt be allowed back in at all.

I'll be voting to leave, but I think it will only delay our inevitable joining the EU in the future. At least we may have a little more bargaining power if we vote to leave, instead of us falling over and kissing Brussels arse.
I think it'll be similar to the government's desire to change the Sunday trading law. The Sunday shopping proposal was defeated in parliament, but they eventually managed to force it through, because they wanted it so badly. If anything negative happens to the British economy after a possible leave EU vote, governments can blame brexit, and I can see re-votes happening until we eventually end up in the EU.

There are loads of warnings for and against being part of the EU, but the fact is, no one really knows exactly how it will effect us until it happens. But I'm certain whatever the result of the vote on the 27th, we will eventually end up in the EU. When Cameron says it's a one time vote, that's bollocks. When the government want something, they won't stop till they get it.

you wont get a better deal especially not the opt outs you currently enjoy.

I have a somewhat controversial view of where this view comes from.
I'm Nigerian (just got my approval to become a British citizen) the rest of my family were born here. I think there still some tiny fragments of colonial mentality in some Brits. A delusion of grandeur. Britain is a great country, (that's why I wanted to be a citizen) but some are under the impression the UK can get what it wants, it can make business anywhere, everyone is desperate to be associated with us.
There is literally no way the EU would agree to us being in the free market while refusing free movement. The Eastern bloc will never agree to it. If we leave, they are one of the main reasons we would have left and they would see it that way. The EU as a whole, would be desperate to make an example of us for putting their economies at risk.
Even if giving Britain special treatment made sense economically, it will never fly politically.
We would literally have to lobby every single member state. That would take many years. Even European countries that aren't in the EU are telling us, leaving is a bad idea.
Good post mate and congratulations on your citizenship.

I really dont think we will get a better deal if we leave then ask to come back in. I doubt we would get back the rebate second time around, we probably wouldnt be allowed back in at all.

This would be great, but I don't believe it. If Brussels doesn't want us to leave, and our own government doesn't want to leave, the EU will have to re-think it's strategy if we do vote to leave, particularly as the French are also wanting an EU referendum.

On the misleading voter information issue, we had a very detailed "leave" leaflet put through our door purporting to be from the "Liberals". We have a popular Lib Dem MP in our town (one of the few to retain his seat in the last election), and it's a clear attempt to make people think this is something he supports (which he doesn't).

We rang his constituency office to let him know, and his staff were already onto it - but it's underhand stuff.

This would be great, but I don't believe it. If Brussels doesn't want us to leave, and our own government doesn't want to leave, the EU will have to re-think it's strategy if we do vote to leave, particularly as the French are also wanting an EU referendum.
If they start giving sweet deals to people that leave then come back, everyone will start voting out.

If they start giving sweet deals to people that leave then come back, everyone will start voting out.

Exactly. Sending out the notion that the EU has a revolving door would be a terrible sign for the Union itself and the biggest core principle of it: political stability. Losing a major player like the UK is already a big enough political and financial blow (would be an even greater one if the UK had the Euro), but allowing them back in easily is even worse. Once you are out, you can´t rejoin for the foreseeable future. That does not mean, that UK might not participate in the single market or in free travel, but this would have to be on the base of a different treaty.

Says who? The French will be watching the UK and how it fares if it leaves . As we all know it will be disastrous, so anyone who currently might think they would be better off outside will soon change their mind

Says who? The French will be watching the UK and how it fares if it leaves . As we all know it will be disastrous, so anyone who currently might think they would be better off outside will soon change their mind

If anything, I see the EU taking a hard stand here, because the UK is the first one who would leave. This could very well turn out to be an attempt by the EU to make an example here and give the UK the hardest time possible.

The EU clearly does not want UK to leave the Union, but if they decide to do so, they might hope that UK suffers greatly financially by doing so.

Last edited:
On the misleading voter information issue, we had a very detailed "leave" leaflet put through our door purporting to be from the "Liberals". We have a popular Lib Dem MP in our town (one of the few to retain his seat in the last election), and it's a clear attempt to make people think this is something he supports (which he doesn't).

We rang his constituency office to let him know, and his staff were already onto it - but it's underhand stuff.

Had the same here, probably country wide, it's a distorted view for getting votes to go one way.

Problem is a lot of people don't want to read much into it, or dig deeper they just want a list of 10 "facts" to make a choice from.

If anything, I see the EU taking a hard stand here, because the UK is the first one who would leave. This could very well turn out to be an attempt by the EU to create an exemple here and give the UK the hardest time possible.

The EU clearly does not want GB to leave the Union, but if they decide to do so, they might hope that UK suffers greatly financially by doing so.

For sure, numerous french MEPs andd politicians and the like have said that if the UK does leave they will not do them any favours at all and will be in no hurry to discuss new deals. No-one wants the Uk to leave but if they do they are going to pay a hefty price.

True.

As an outsider I´m pretty astouned how this vote can be this close. The case here is actually pretty cut and dry IMO and the remain campaign should be able to advertise it as such.

The "leave" camp often times advertises it as an act of regaining independence from Brussels, Paris and Berlin. What it effectively does is hitting the reset button on pretty much all trade treaties GB has, including not only the one under the banner of the EU but also most countries outside of it as these treaties were made with the EU and GB as memberstate of it.

Reforging said treaties will be a massive bureaucratic and political undertaking to say the least, bigger than pretty much anything that was done by single country before (this is why no one really has a clue how this will play out in detail) as the established treaties were not created all at once. This will take years upon years and cost enourmous sums of money.

Now, what will happen in terms of the relations between GB and the EU? As of right now I can´t see a feasible way for GB to trade with the EU outside the rules of the single market. Given the large percentage of the trade GB does with the EU having the old legal borders back in effect would hurt the economy immensively. In the end GB will (re)enter the single market, this time not as part of the EU but under a treaty between the EU and GB as outside party. One of the first things the EU will demand (outside money of course) is probably to have the regulations of free travel back in effect.

Single market and free travel are two of the biggest pillars of the EU and make up a large part of its rules. That means that GB will again have to follow said rules, but this time with a key difference: As they are no longer a (major) memberstate they have little to no influence how the rules will be changed or made.

The Brexit won´t unshakle GB from Brussels, it will make them lose influence there. This is not an act to regain independence, it is an act to lose power. A really, really bad deal all around to bring a country in a way worse position of negotiations than before.
Great post

Probably been posted before but a timely reminder of why some do not want to be governed by Brussels.

That article is far too agenda driven. The commission is just a civil service administrative function, they still need to get it ratified by the member states and it's why it's gone back because France weren't happy with it.

The only 'ruled by brussels' issue that I can see is that actually the majority of legislation is passed on majority rather than by unamonous approval but I don't think that's the case with such trade deals. Our goverment is the one on the wrong side of most votes, whether that's environmental, tax or TTIP.

You need to change "all know" to "many believe". The fact is, no one knows, because we do not know what agreements will be in place with the EU according to the terms of our leaving.

Oh dear just seen Cameron welcoming David Beckhams remain endorsement :lol:

Vote Leave have done the same thing with Nissan and KPMG. Nissan have even taken it to court.

You need to change "all know" to "many believe". The fact is, no one knows, because we do not know what agreements will be in place with the EU according to the terms of our leaving.

No one knows the extent of the damage, but as many have said, it's not a question of does the UK leave but keeps all the bits it likes about the EU and discards all the rest. It's In or Out that's what people will be voting for . Then there is 2 years to negotiate the divorce settlement and god knows how many years to negotiate new deals and re-write legislation etc etc. In the meantime the economic uncertainty would have done so much damage to the UK.
I can see no financial advantage whatsoever for the UK to be doing this, it makes no sense.

The tom Newton is an enigma. His paper is campaigning for leave. As their political editor, you'd expect him to tweet a lot of pro Brexit stuff. But he almost exclusively tweets for the remain camp. Even when he's on sky.

Another reason to vote remain. I hate his face.

The tom Newton is an enigma. His paper is campaigning for leave. As their political editor, you'd expect him to tweet a lot of pro Brexit stuff. But he almost exclusively tweets for the remain camp. Even when he's on sky.

Another reason to vote remain. I hate his face.

It's actually an interesting point that no ones been talking about. What happens to Gove, Johnson and Farage is remain wins?

Farage will carry on like a turd that won't flush, that much is obvious. But it seriously dents Johnson and Gove's credibility doesn't it? Going into this debate all of the Leave MP's (and I include IDS) had approval ratings probably best described as utterly abysmal and there's no chance that this campaign will have improved them, so surely a life on the back benches beckons if Remain wins?

He is desperate and has himself to blame. This should never have gone to a vote.

And deprive David Beckham a say? You cruel man

I agree 100% though I think it's one of the biggest feck ups of any recent prime minister. Their arrogance and disconnect with the voters caused this and he should resign whatever the result, he won't though.

No one knows the extent of the damage, but as many have said, it's not a question of does the UK leave but keeps all the bits it likes about the EU and discards all the rest. It's In or Out that's what people will be voting for . Then there is 2 years to negotiate the divorce settlement and god knows how many years to negotiate new deals and re-write legislation etc etc. In the meantime the economic uncertainty would have done so much damage to the UK.
I can see no financial advantage whatsoever for the UK to be doing this, it makes no sense.

There will be strategies in place if the people vote to leave. You don't think the government would pin our future's hopes on us voting to remain?
The government itself is divided, economists are divided, and bosses are divided. There will be agreements in place which will probably mean that little will in fact change. There are potential advantages and disadvantages to us leaving, that have already been expressed in the media, but the question is, will the disadvantages out weigh the advantages?
The first thing the government will do if the vote is "leave", is to steady the ship concerning economic uncertainty. And the EU itself will probably calm fears. I'm sure the current government will not have an escape capsule ready in case the vote is leave.

There will be strategies in place if the people vote to leave. You don't think the government would pin our future's hopes on us voting to remain?
The government itself is divided, economists are divided, and bosses are divided. There will be agreements in place which will probably mean that little will in fact change. There are potential advantages and disadvantages to us leaving, that have already been expressed in the media, but the question is, will the disadvantages out weigh the advantages?
The first thing the government will do if the vote is "leave", is to steady the ship concerning economic uncertainty. And the EU itself will probably calm fears. I'm sure the current government will not have an escape capsule ready in case the vote is leave.

No.

They're really not.

It's rare to find such over-whelming consensus in academia.

Economists are only 'divided' if you consider 99/1 a divided view.

That entire post is pie in the sky, "I'm sure it'll be fine" blind optimism which is essentially all the leave campaign have.

That entire post is pie in the sky, "I'm sure it'll be fine" blind optimism which is essentially all the leave campaign have.

I mean I guess you could call economists divided in the sense that one of the 10 economists who they've been able to hoodwink into saying 'Brexit is a good idea' has, in a professional capacity, signed a letter saying that Brexit is, in fact, a terrible idea. But even then, thats an economist who is divided and certainly not economists.

Bit of an exaggeration, but there is certainly a massive consensus for remain.

Michael Gove admits that immigration will likely skyrocket in the two years following a Leave vote.

I mean I guess you could call economists divided in the sense that one of the 10 economists who they've been able to hoodwink into saying 'Brexit is a good idea' has, in a professional capacity, signed a letter saying that Brexit is, in fact, a terrible idea. But even then, thats an economist who is divided and certainly not economists.
:lol: yea I'll give them that one, that's one divided economist!

It's actually an interesting point that no ones been talking about. What happens to Gove, Johnson and Farage is remain wins?

Farage will carry on like a turd that won't flush, that much is obvious. But it seriously dents Johnson and Gove's credibility doesn't it? Going into this debate all of the Leave MP's (and I include IDS) had approval ratings probably best described as utterly abysmal and there's no chance that this campaign will have improved them, so surely a life on the back benches beckons if Remain wins?

Let's hope so. The very best outcome is for Gove, Johnson and Farage to shuffle off stage.

I'll have whatever beta blockers you're on

Status
Not open for further replies.