Erik ten Hag vs Sancho | Sancho back in full training

Status
Not open for further replies.
ETH started Antony over him in all three matches up untill the commotion started and up untill the wifebeating thing came up. An Antony with no end product, playing without even a hint of flow in the final 3rd, who's contributed 0 goals or assists so far this season. Garnacho started over him on the left in the first 2 games (0 returns) and Rashford against NFO. Even Pellistri seemed ahead of him in the picking order. A Pellistri that has 1 assists and 0 goals in the 48 games he's played since we bought him (including his loanspell in Spain), 0 this season. 1 return in 48 games!!!
GW1: We were horrible in the 1-0 win agaisnt Wolves. (Sancho on the bench)
GW2: We were horrible in the 2-0 loss at Spurs. (Sancho on the bench)
GW3: We started horribly agaisnt NFO (Sancho on the bench)
GW4: Sancho not even in the squad and we played horrible against Arsenal (Starting the same underperforming guy on the right.....)

It's not like he was kept out of the team because his competitors were on fire. ETH insisted on keeping him out in the cold.
ETH pretty much didn't give him a chance this season, despite massive underperformances from the starting wingers and going from poor performance to poor performance....
And then he goes out publicly and says what he said.

This is a player who averaged 1,0 G+A/90 three seasons straight in Germany, mostly as a teenager. How did they do it?
This is a player you need to play into form with a massive WC top level. What did we do? We faded him out to accomodate less talented players....
So your story is that Sancho was an awesome RW till ETH got in Antony and kicked Sancho out??

ETH started Antony over him in all three matches up untill the commotion started and up untill the wifebeating thing came up. An Antony with no end product, playing without even a hint of flow in the final 3rd, who's contributed 0 goals or assists so far this season. Garnacho started over him on the left in the first 2 games (0 returns) and Rashford against NFO. Even Pellistri seemed ahead of him in the picking order. A Pellistri that has 1 assists and 0 goals in the 48 games he's played since we bought him (including his loanspell in Spain), 0 this season. 1 return in 48 games!!!
GW4: Sancho not even in the squad and we played horrible against Arsenal (Starting the same underperforming guy on the right.....)

It's not like he was kept out of the team because his competitors were on fire. ETH insisted on keeping him out in the cold.
ETH pretty much didn't give him a chance this season, despite massive underperformances from the starting wingers and going from poor performance to poor performance....

This is a player who averaged 1,0 G+A/90 three seasons straight in Germany, mostly as a teenager. How did they do it?
This is a player you need to play into form with a massive WC top level. What did we do? We faded him out to accomodate less talented players....

ETH sees them in training, day in, day out. Agree, none of the United wingers are playing well.

Doesn't that go to show you how bad Sanchos levels in training must be, that he can't oust any of these underperformers?

So your story is that Sancho was an awesome RW till ETH got in Antony and kicked Sancho out??
No, but he could be.
Scored 24 and assisted 36 in 5309 minutes from the right wing for Dortmund. That's more than a G+A/90, which is world class.
Scored in the last 2 games he played that role in the PL last season.
Yes, I'd liked to see him getting more chances out on the right ahead of the alternatives.

Might have shined through my earlier comments on here, but I don't think Antony is good enough for a top team (95M was total madness), and Pellistri/Amad are miles off.

Saying he said what he said, makes it sound like it was unrepeatable.

He reckons he's half arsing it in training, doesn't pick him for a game and answers a question and says he's not meeting the standards required and that he has other options to pick from. What happens in return is the response of an overgrown overpaid child with a stupid tweet.

His time in Germany also has nothing to do with his time at Utd, where if we are being really honest has been underwhelming since day one. He's shown flashes but overall he's been poor.

Also nice of you to ignore the whole other year before this season, where ETH gave him time away to sort himself out and gave him plenty of chances to play, 41 of them to be precise.

Not sure how anyone can still be defending Sancho at this point.

Why would you sabotage your own career over someone elses dickhead behaviour?
Best mates. Get rid of manager then sancho comes back in. Simple. Was just a thought I doubt that’s the case. Rashford is just shocking this season, end of.

Saying he said what he said, makes it sound like it was unrepeatable.

He reckons he's half arsing it in training, doesn't pick him for a game and answers a question and says he's not meeting the standards required and that he has other options to pick from. What happens in return is the response of an overgrown overpaid child with a stupid tweet.

His time in Germany also has nothing to do with his time at Utd, where if we are being really honest has been underwhelming since day one. He's shown flashes but overall he's been poor.

Also nice of you to ignore the whole other year before this season, where ETH gave him time away to sort himself out and gave him plenty of chances to play, 41 of them to be precise.

Not sure how anyone can still be defending Sancho at this point.
Listen, I totally agree Sancho's acted immature and out of line, and that he's probably been showing poor attitude on and around the training field. I'm also saying that I don't believe for a second that the Sancho-project has been handled optimally by the club and manager and that this is the best possible outcome of it. He could have been handled a lot better by ETH and the apparatus around the club, and then the story should/could have looked very different. He has shown in the past he has the talent, why not try everything (I mean everything) to motivate him and get the best out of him. Seems we're give up on players with proven talent too easily to me. It wouldn't surprise me if he's back in the England squad and delivers on from the top shelf again as soon as he's at a different club. That's why I think we should look ourselves in the mirror sometimes and ask ourselves if we're doing a good enough job with different types of players. It's too simple to just blaim the player, a player we have invested x million pounds in, with a record for the record books from his last employer.
It would be nice to know the truth about his time in Holland last winter, if he was given time to sort himself or how that really was. Anyway, he hasn't been performing to his Dortmund levels for us, not even close, but he's still been much better than Antony. The difference in footballing IQ between those two....

Listen, I totally agree Sancho's acted immature and out of line, and that he's probably been showing poor attitude on and around the training field. I'm also saying that I don't believe for a second that the Sancho-project has been handled optimally by the club and manager and that this is the best possible outcome of it. He could have been handled a lot better by ETH and the apparatus around the club, and then the story should/could have looked very different. He has shown in the past he has the talent, why not try everything (I mean everything) to motivate him and get the best out of him. Seems we're give up on players with proven talent too easily to me. It wouldn't surprise me if he's back in the England squad and delivers on from the top shelf again as soon as he's at a different club. That's why I think we should look ourselves in the mirror sometimes and ask ourselves if we're doing a good enough job with different types of players. It's too simple to just blaim the player, a player we have invested x million pounds in, with a record for the record books from his last employer.
It would be nice to know the truth about his time in Holland last winter, if he was given time to sort himself or how that really was. Anyway, he hasn't been performing to his Dortmund levels for us, not even close, but he's still been much better than Antony. The difference in footballing IQ between those two....

I'd agree he's technically and in terms of IQ a much better player than Antony. The problem is he doesn't show it. Sancho hasn't helped himself at all at Utd, he seems lazy on the pitch, makes poor decisions and it feels like he only comes to life when he feels like it. Aside from a few moments here and there he hasn't looked anything like the player we saw at Dortmund.

ETH see them every day and if you're much more talented than the next guy but he's still being picked ahead of you every week and so if someone else. Then you are most definitely doing something wrong.

I'm one of those people who sees that type of wide player and thinks, he needs a specific type of fullback on his side to get the best out of him. Dalot and AWB are not the players to do that, I also think Antony needs a different profile of fullback. People laugh at that suggestion but there has to be a relationship there, they have to dovetail and compliment each other. If a player likes to come a bit inside like Sancho, then you need a marauding fullback that goes down outside to get the best out of them, create space and movement for them to operate in those areas. If you have a fullback like Hakimi, even TAA, I genuinely think you'd see a different side to these players.

Even if you go back through teams, Rafael/Valencia and Nani, Salgado and Figo at Madrid, Alba and Neymar at Barca. There was a dynamic there that got the best out of both players.

Edit: even if you look at Arsenal where they had the likes of Eboue and Lauren at fullback,not necessarily great players but they worked because they provided a balance and complimented the likes of Ljungberg and Reyes out wide. Then you had Cole and Pires etc on the left.

If anything I think that's where the club has failed to get the best out of Sancho on the pitch.

Last edited:
I don't really believe that ETH has such high standards. He was playing Wout and Antony all the time last year, and both of them were useless, but ETH was still praising them.

I think ETH favors the players he brought to the club, even if they are useless, even when they are actually worse than the players we already had.

He was brilliant for 2 years. His last season in Dortmund he was good i think not world class. He was also kicked out the first team in Dortmund before.

Sancho has been a nothing player for us for 2 years. We should have never brought him in. He is a LW primarily and Rashford has that position in his backpocket. Bad investment from the very beginning. He can't run he doesnt shoot, he can barely dribble with the ball it's like he forgot how to play.

Couple that with his fifa career eth is doing the right thing. He protected the investment but there's a point you draw a line in the sand. he has a team to manage he cant just allow Sancho who plays like a nothing rw, trains like a sunday league footballer to dictate his own teams.

Antony's transfer probably effed him up completely.

I don't really believe that ETH has such high standards. He was playing Wout and Antony all the time last year, and both of them were useless, but ETH was still praising them.

I think ETH favors the players he brought to the club, even if they are useless, even when they are actually worse than the players we already had.
He also praises Maguire and says he is a top player, every time someone brings up his name.

He also praises Maguire and says he is a top player, every time someone brings up his name.

But he isn't playing Maguire. He was constantly starting Wout the useless. And Antony.

I don't know what is happening inside the club, but from the outside, it certainly seems that he favors "his guys".

But he isn't playing Maguire. He was constantly starting Wout the useless. And Antony.

I don't know what is happening inside the club, but from the outside, it certainly seems that he favors "his guys".

No it’s because they put the effort in, there’s nothing more to it than that.
Weghorst got plenty of minutes because we had no other option, and we look a much better team with Antony on the right than anyone else.

No it’s because they put the effort in, there’s nothing more to it than that.
Weghorst got plenty of minutes because we had no other option, and we look a much better team with Antony on the right than anyone else.

Sad you have to spell this out. There are so many posters that don't get the basics. Have you ever played or trained with a team. It's basics.

Sancho apologists blow my mind. He offers nothing going forward and nothing in defense. Continually throwing numbers out from his time at Dortmund are pointless because he hasn't come close to that form in a red shirt.

3 different managers and no consistent play. Hes been a howler of a transfer and until he looks himself in a mirror he will be another mega potential player who chucked it in the bin.

Sancho apologists blow my mind. He offers nothing going forward and nothing in defense. Continually throwing numbers out from his time at Dortmund are pointless because he hasn't come close to that form in a red shirt.

3 different managers and no consistent play. Hes been a howler of a transfer and until he looks himself in a mirror he will be another mega potential player who chucked it in the bin.

Plus, let's remember that this is his third year here. For reference, Sánchez was at United for a year and a half. He played 45 games, scored 5 and assisted 9. Sancho's best season is 41, 7 and 3.

I'd agree he's technically and in terms of IQ a much better player than Antony. The problem is he doesn't show it. Sancho hasn't helped himself at all at Utd, he seems lazy on the pitch, makes poor decisions and it feels like he only comes to life when he feels like it. Aside from a few moments here and there he hasn't looked anything like the player we saw at Dortmund.

ETH see them every day and if you're much more talented than the next guy but he's still being picked ahead of you every week and so if someone else. Then you are most definitely doing something wrong.

I'm one of those people who sees that type of wide player and thinks, he needs a specific type of fullback on his side to get the best out of him. Dalot and AWB are not the players to do that, I also think Antony needs a different profile of fullback. People laugh at that suggestion but there has to be a relationship there, they have to dovetail and compliment each other. If a player likes to come a bit inside like Sancho, then you need a marauding fullback that goes down outside to get the best out of them, create space and movement for them to operate in those areas. If you have a fullback like Hakimi, even TAA, I genuinely think you'd see a different side to these players.

Even if you go back through teams, Rafael/Valencia and Nani, Salgado and Figo at Madrid, Alba and Neymar at Barca. There was a dynamic there that got the best out of both players.

Edit: even if you look at Arsenal where they had the likes of Eboue and Lauren at fullback,not necessarily great players but they worked because they provided a balance and complimented the likes of Ljungberg and Reyes out wide. Then you had Cole and Pires etc on the left.

If anything I think that's where the club has failed to get the best out of Sancho on the pitch.

Very good analysis. How much did Neville’s work on the right open up space for Beckham’s crossing? At the same time, I don’t believe Sancho is good enough.

Very good analysis. How much did Neville’s work on the right open up space for Beckham’s crossing? At the same time, I don’t believe Sancho is good enough.

That's the best example I've seen at Utd, those two just worked hard for each other and the team they had a great understanding of how to play together. I was kind of looking at players who preferred to come in field a bit and the full backs they played with. But, it's not rocket science to see that players should compliment each other.

I'm not so sure Sancho is good enough either, talent is there, he's just lacking something else. I think ETH should feeeze him out until he mans up, apologises and agrees to give 100% every day.

But, I've said this before about Antony and Sancho as well, the full backs at Utd just do not suit the type of wide player that they are. Shaw maybe is the only one that might be, but he tends to drift infield quite a bit, we've seen it too with AWB operating infield. Whether that's instruction or not I don't know. I was hoping we'd see someone like Frimpong or that style come in for the right, but instead we get Dalot on a new 4 year deal.

He wants grafters. He’d rather Wout than Ronny because one is head down, pressing teams and buys into the team ideas. Same for Antony, you can trust he’ll work his arse off.
That has to be the starting point for any player. If they don’t do that and they are Messi reborn, they are out.

An apology now wouldn’t be sincere and probably a waste of time.

Time to move Sancho on, sooner the better.

He's 25 games deep into EA FC to give 2 fecks about apologising

Generally wouldn't be surprised if his career just ended here, like he just sits on his contract then in 3 years starts a Youtube channel with JLingz 'Lingz and Sanch'

ETH values workrate above anything else. Hence why players like Wout and Antony always made the starting XI. And the likes of Sancho and Ronaldo were always benched.

The only person who get preferential treatment is Rashford, but even then I feel it's more to do with his ability to score goals and being our main attacking outlet(plus I imagine he might hold a very strong influence in the dressing room, so he doesn't want to risk the status quo)

A most regrettable acquisition that I have to admit I was on board with. My personal scouts let me down.

I think his guys are ones that follow managers instructions.

Given the choice, we'd want all our players to do so but apparently there's dissent. Just like every other manager. These overpaid prima donas need to be tossed out of the club. Just look at Pogba. Viruses. All of them.

No, but he could be.
Scored 24 and assisted 36 in 5309 minutes from the right wing for Dortmund. That's more than a G+A/90, which is world class.
Scored in the last 2 games he played that role in the PL last season.
Yes, I'd liked to see him getting more chances out on the right ahead of the alternatives.

Might have shined through my earlier comments on here, but I don't think Antony is good enough for a top team (95M was total madness), and Pellistri/Amad are miles off.
Kagawa and Mikhitarian were also very good at Dortmund. Suffice to say they both flopped at United and went on to have very lacklusture careers after they left as well.

Plenty of stories about players looking amazing in inferior leagues only to be unable to step up to a tougher one once they get transferred.

That's the best example I've seen at Utd, those two just worked hard for each other and the team they had a great understanding of how to play together. I was kind of looking at players who preferred to come in field a bit and the full backs they played with. But, it's not rocket science to see that players should compliment each other.

I'm not so sure Sancho is good enough either, talent is there, he's just lacking something else. I think ETH should feeeze him out until he mans up, apologises and agrees to give 100% every day.

But, I've said this before about Antony and Sancho as well, the full backs at Utd just do not suit the type of wide player that they are. Shaw maybe is the only one that might be, but he tends to drift infield quite a bit, we've seen it too with AWB operating infield. Whether that's instruction or not I don't know. I was hoping we'd see someone like Frimpong or that style come in for the right, but instead we get Dalot on a new 4 year deal.

We had a right back like that in Ethan Laird who for me is far better going forward and overlapping than Dalot but was never given a chance, I think he could have been coached into a better defender and may have come through the injuries but he was perfect as an overlapping full back.

Huge chance for Sancho to stake a claim and play but won't make a simple apology, wonder if he even wants to play?

If he has a beef with Erik then that is one issue but he is a paid employee of Utd so why the feck is he not training with the Reserves and showing us what we are missing out on by playing for them every week as an overage player?
Surely he should absolutely kill it at that level or maybe he does not put in the required effort there either.

We had a right back like that in Ethan Laird who for me is far better going forward and overlapping than Dalot but was never given a chance, I think he could have been coached into a better defender and may have come through the injuries but he was perfect as an overlapping full back.
The loan to Bournemouth is what killed it for him as they had a settled back 4 and the intention was always for him to be back up. That didn't make sense at the time even though Bournemouth was pushing for promotion as Laird was starting every game at Swansea, we shouldn't have let him go to Bournemouth.

He was great in pre season last season too, real shame how its turned out with him as we'll look to replace Dalot next summer I think.

The loan to Bournemouth is what killed it for him as they had a settled back 4 and the intention was always for him to be back up. That didn't make sense at the time even though Bournemouth was pushing for promotion as Laird was starting every game at Swansea, we shouldn't have let him go to Bournemouth.

He was great in pre season last season too, real shame how its turned out with him as we'll look to replace Dalot next summer I think.
Dalot just signed a 5yr contract :eek:

Given Sancho is more likely to outlast ETH in this standoff, I really hope the crowds don’t forget what an absoulute little areshole he’s been in this period and boo the feck out of him. Regardless of how much money he’s on and cost, I hope he never plays again. And if he does….give the wee prick tonnes of shit.

Oh I remember it, a good few months so it was. still not enough to make me think here you go fella have a new 5 year deal. People talk about standards, he's well below what's required.
At least he had a few good months and he cost less than 20mil and is only behind Cancello as the Portuguese RB.
We paid over 70mil and 80mil for two wingers and put them on 5yr contracts and they have been nothing short of shite!

Kagawa and Mikhitarian were also very good at Dortmund. Suffice to say they both flopped at United and went on to have very lacklusture careers after they left as well.

Plenty of stories about players looking amazing in inferior leagues only to be unable to step up to a tougher one once they get transferred.
Not necessarily disagree, but just for argument sake:

Mikhitaryan since he left Man Utd at 2018:

- Won Europa conference league 21-22
- Won Coppa Italia 22-23
- Won Supercoppa Italia 22
- CL runners up 22-23

Man Utd since 2018:

- Won League Cup 22-23

Not necessarily disagree, but just for argument sake:

Mikhitaryan since he left Man Utd at 2018:

- Won Europa conference league 21-22
- Won Coppa Italia 22-23
- Won Supercoppa Italia 22
- CL runners up 22-23

Man Utd since 2018:

- Won League Cup 22-23
We have an habit of ruining players careers. Don’t think we’ve ever had 1 season since fergie left where we haven’t had bad press on us. There’s always something bad getting leaked about us… you never hear these bad stories about city or even Liverpool when they had a bad season last year… their camp was still happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.