Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Henry is a good example where a top player was a terrible coach, because he was a top player.

I'm not saying ruud is a bad coach but it doesn't always work by saying "ah Yea he was better as a player so hel be able to be a better influence to players"
At the end of the day, no one knows but I'm sure he can add value

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Unfair on McCarthy who himself had a career many can only dream of.

We don’t know the ins and outs of these roles so to diminish one for the other is pointless.
Sure, but Ruud was one of the very best. And a United legend. I am sure that the players will listen very closely to what he tells

Redasaredthing

So do they not listen closely to the rest of the staff?
Listening, no matter how closely, doesn't guarantee that 'communication' has been established. Understanding is also required and maybe the issue with some players.

Personal ego's, or personal advisors, may be blocking communication.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Listening, no matter how closely, doesn't guarantee that 'communication' has been established. Understanding is also required and maybe the issue with some players.

Why is the assumption always that communication is a player problem and not a manager/coach problem (or both)?

Redasaredthing

Why is the assumption always that communication is a player problem and not a manager/coach problem (or both)?
Good point, a poorly expressed message may also hinder the understanding that is required for ‘communication‘ to occur.

I have read comments to the effect that ETH hasn’t been able to get the players on board with his system. If the audience isn’t able to understand the message the means of communication might be to blame.

Could this explain the talk about the changes to the couching staff. A multi pronged approach for the future!

lex talionis

Well it depends what we want from him. Hojlund biggest (only?) strength is his finishing. So, in my mind, we should be looking for a complete opposite type of "player/coach".
I’ve never met Ruud but from everything I know about him, he fits that bill perfectly.

A few years ago I watched Ruud at Oxford Union. He’s very articulate and thoughtful. Andrew know from his playing days he tough as nails. And how he handled Keown was legendary. There’s no better man on the planet than Ruud to mentor Rasmus.

Amir

Oh, I agree. It's just that the idea that they don't listen to our staff but will listen to Ruud that I find a little funny.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I know nothing about this guy apart from the fact he can dish out a bollocking, but is he actually a good coach?
I was looking through some of his previous games with his G.A Eagles team and his teams seem to create lots of chances and dominate in that regard.

Cloud7

If the manager stays on after a season like that, the next best thing, managing wise, is getting some new coaches in, so I am in full support of this move.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It would be nice to see some vids of that new angry coach actually motivating his players

estonianreddevil

How are we becoming even more dutch?
I wouldn't say becoming "more Dutch" is necessarily a bad thing.
They have a great football ideology and system, however it is another question how these methods can be implimented at Premier League, which is a totally different beast.
Safe to say that some of it worked during ETH first season, however nothing seemed to work the previous season (besides integrating some talented youth into the senior squad, which is a very Dutch thing to do.

In any case, bringin in new coaches may add some necessary extra brainpower and support in regards to pulling the right strings when it comes to coaching and actual game management. If nothing changes or improves, good riddance. But so far, with keeping ETH, I think bringing in Ruud and Hake is a cool move!

Nickelodeon

I wouldn't say becoming "more Dutch" is necessarily a bad thing.
They have a great football ideology and system, however it is another question how these methods can be implimented at Premier League, which is a totally different beast.
Safe to say that some of it worked during ETH first season, however nothing seemed to work the previous season (besides integrating some talented youth into the senior squad, which is a very Dutch thing to do.

In any case, bringin in new coaches may add some necessary extra brainpower and support in regards to pulling the right strings when it comes to coaching and actual game management. If nothing changes or improves, good riddance. But so far, with keeping ETH, I think bringing in Ruud and Hake is a cool move!
It would be 3 head coach level people. Seems worrying because we know our players respond to proper coaching by going into their shells and getting managers sacked.