Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I would have Ruud over any other striker coach in the world. Maybe there's a brilliant one out there we've never heard of, but Ruud is no pussywillow when it comes to getting the job done...whatever the job is. Splitting logs in Scandinavia, wrestle alligators in Louisiana, or bringing down the Taliban once and for all, unleash the Dutchman.

And if he's the immediate stand in manager in the event ETH has to be sacked, why not?
Why?

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
So we're going from Bad Cop/Bad Cop in ETH and Van der Gaag, to Bad Cop/Bad Cop/Bad Cop/Bad Cop... Well that'll help detoxify the dressing room
These fecking players will finally learn their lessons.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
So we're going from Bad Cop/Bad Cop in ETH and Van der Gaag, to Bad Cop/Bad Cop/Bad Cop/Bad Cop... Well that'll help detoxify the dressing room
Ok Nostradamus. Interesting that you have so much inside knowledge, probably based on a couple of short clips

Borys

Statistics Wizard
People put too much emphasis on getting the right/perfect coaches.

The main thing is to create a good environment for young players to grow, not put too much pressure on them and manage their game time. All the things we're terrible at and no strikers, midfield, fitness coach is going to change that.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I would have Ruud over any other striker coach in the world. Maybe there's a brilliant one out there we've never heard of, but Ruud is no pussywillow when it comes to getting the job done...whatever the job is. Splitting logs in Scandinavia, wrestle alligators in Louisiana, or bringing down the Taliban once and for all, unleash the Dutchman.

And if he's the immediate stand in manager in the event ETH has to be sacked, why not?
Well it depends what we want from him. Hojlund biggest (only?) strength is his finishing. So, in my mind, we should be looking for a complete opposite type of "player/coach".

erikcred

You can. The trick is to know when to do it and when not to. Being nicey nice gets you nowhere. You think that Pep and Klopp are all smiles when things aren't working?
Hopefully here they can find a middle ground between all smiles and whatever the hell that was.

Marcelinho87

Whilst that is true, Ruud was an exceptional, versatile striker. Just his experience can be top notch, I have more faith in him than McCarthy
Unfair on McCarthy who himself had a career many can only dream of.

We don’t know the ins and outs of these roles so to diminish one for the other is pointless.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
We are notoriously known to be one of the most hated fanbases in the game. There is a minority of our fanbase can understand why - seem to be happy if we fail to prove they were right.

There are a lot of “ten haag out fans” who wouldn’t mind us struggling at the start of the season and that culture is rotten
But they don’t go to matches. They probably don’t watch games. They tap in messages to phones. It’s about themselves. I know there are shills and bots and all sorts of needy people whinging from the refuge of forum anonymity. But a good half of this place are United supporters in name only.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Actually, joke or not, i agree with @Unam333 . I am all for yelling in general to make a point but screaming at someone (and throwing insults at him) is a no go. If i was that player, no way i would let them (managers) do that shit. Guy is an idiot.

Imagine your boss at work doing that to you. Would you be ok with it? Football is not an army, ffs.
Ever watch the Wrexham series? Their manager, every second word is a swear.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
I‘m not sure what to make of these developments. Hake seems tough and Ruud is no cupcake either (stubborn Dutch bastard too).

Maybe it‘s been decided more discipline is needed in training.
I never know what to think about Ruud. Obviously as a manager you have to be tough but when I watch him outside of press conferences he seems like the most kind and soft spoken guy you'll ever see :lol:

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Ever watch the Wrexham series? Their manager, every second word is a swear.
Phil “Fecking” Parkinson :)

I think the trick is to make sure the players know you’re on their side but they’ll get called out if perform poorly. Take the rough with the smooth.

Shouting all the time never works as loses its weight and turns players off. The odd rant (if deserved) should work to give players a wake up call… also needs players to take the rant and say “yeah, we were sh!t, that won’t happen again”.

Not sure I agree with some of the posts on here saying “you can’t do that in such and such an industry”. Apples and oranges.. I expect my boss to CLEARLY tell me I’m wrong when he’s got a point and I’ll take it. If I was still playing football and did something stupid, I’d 100% expect the manager to ball me out.

Funny that videos off Hake weren’t popular discussion points before linked to us… and that the video picked is one where he’s shouting at the players. :rolleyes:

Leftback99

Whilst that is true, Ruud was an exceptional, versatile striker. Just his experience can be top notch, I have more faith in him than McCarthy
You must be expecting big things from the Plymouth strikers under Rooney.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
You must be expecting big things from the Plymouth strikers under Rooney.
Henry is a good example where a top player was a terrible coach, because he was a top player.

I'm not saying ruud is a bad coach but it doesn't always work by saying "ah Yea he was better as a player so hel be able to be a better influence to players"

RedRocket9908

How long will it be before we get the leaks about the players being unhappy with René Hake? We know our players like to throw their toys out of the pram when someone shouts at them.

Leftback99

Rooney was manager, RvN will be COACH of strikers.
Look he might end up being great for us but people referencing videos of RvN PLAYING is pretty much irrelevant to how good a COACH he is.

It's like saying if i can run faster than you I'd be able to coach someone better to do it than you.

devilsadvoca8

I see some folks doubting Ruud's ability to coach and bringing up his PSV tenure. Well.... he won a trophy at PSV and half the CAF were willing to give Erik another chance because he too won a trophy. So are some of you saying Ruud wasn't successful at PSV?

Borys

Statistics Wizard
What Parkinson does is "positive" yelling, typical for sports. He is yelling in general and not targeting specific player. What this idiot does is completely different.
I think whether he was successful as a manger is totally irrelevant for us, as he will have a different role here.

Getting RVN to be a "strikers coach" (not sure if that's even true) seems like a move from someone who just finished "managing football club 101" book rather than a sensible move, but that's just looking "on the surface". There might be a masterplan behind it. I also have no idea what is the responsibility of those coaches. Players go up and down in form and that doesn't seem to be correlated with any of those coaches coming in/out.

NLunited

He's giving up the chance to manage Burnley to become the caretaker first team coach of Manchester United around Christmas.
This take is mental, he did not want to be first team coach of PSV and certainly isn‘t going to be interim of the biggest club in the world.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
I thought they were saying the issue with VDG is that he and ETH had a "bad cop / bad cop" dynamic, and so it would make sense to replace him with an "arm around the shoulders" type assistant who's known for communication with the players. Doesn't seem like the case, going by this.
I would have thought McClaren was the ultimate 'good cop' foil for ETH and VDG. I think its good to freshen up the backroom staff though but my only concern is that Dutch football people don't always seem to have the most harmonious relationships with each other and with 4 big egos there could be potential for a massive toxic bust up down the line.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Pretty sure they will give him a sit down interview when he joins and he can reiterate that United is a big pull for him, he isn’t ready to be a manager and how much he feels he can make a difference to the young players in the squad