Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Judging by some posts here, you'd think player performances are simply a function of how much the coaches yell at and berate them.
People learnt absolutely nothing from Fergie. We had two decades of a great manager, and all people took from it was how much time he was given and the "hairdryer treatment". He spoke at great lengths about managing different personalities, generations etc, yet it's all forgotten these days and is a shame really. The saying "you can lead a horse to water..." rings true.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Indeed let's not forget this lot have got 4 managers sacked. But Ratcliffes are onto them.
I’d love to know which specific players people mean when they say this because most have played for ole and ETH. A couple maybe for Mourinho.

then we’re left with Rashford

Fooza

He's loving it isn't it, gets a new contract, dutch coaches, potentially new dutch players

He's living the life at Dutch Trafford

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
He's loving it isn't it, gets a new contract, dutch coaches, potentially new dutch players

He's living the life at Dutch Trafford
Only one of our targets is Dutch. And I think it will help him if his back room team are all Dutch especially one who knows the club very well and one who’s close friends with him and worked with him at Twente. Also having a different personality someone who can lay into players might help also.

Fooza

Only one of our targets is Dutch. And I think it will help him if his back room team are all Dutch especially one who knows the club very well and one who’s close friends with him and worked with him at Twente. Also having a different personality someone who can lay into players might help also.
Two I thought, De Ligt and Zirkzee? Either way, my post was more tongue in cheek

stevoc

People learnt absolutely nothing from Fergie. We had two decades of a great manager, and all people took from it was how much time he was given and the "hairdryer treatment". He spoke at great lengths about managing different personalities, generations etc, yet it's all forgotten these days and is a shame really. The saying "you can lead a horse to water..." rings true.

Having read both his books and various other books about him, documentaries and interviews from others talking about the great man. Probably his best attribute (and that's saying something) was the psychology with which he approached man management from. He analysed people and everything he did was to get the best out of his players so if they were the type of person that needed a boot up the hole like Wes Brown then that's what he did. Conversely for other players like Nani where that approach wouldn't work he wouldn't dream of it. A more arm around the shoulder approach was used.

It's why most manager don't last too long anywhere, even top managers like Mourinho never lasted too long before the players stopped responding to his one size fits all man management methods.

stevoc

I’d love to know which specific players people mean when they say this because most have played for ole and ETH. A couple maybe for Mourinho.

10 or so last season left that played under Ole. 6 who played under Jose.

I've pulled at that thread many times in here. Many don't seem to realize just how few players we have left from even 2022. But 9 times out of 10 it usually just boils down to Rashford.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
The worst is the people who think he was tactically mediocre and a "vibes" manager simply because he was tactically flexible and not rigidly wedded to one specific philosophy like some of the "hipster" managers today.

Similar to how Ancelotti is perceived by a lot of fans, actually.

golden_blunder

Staff
10 or so last season left that played under Ole. 6 who played under Jose.

I've pulled at that thread many times in here. Many don't seem to realize just how few players we have left from even 2022. But 9 times out of 10 it usually just boils down to Rashford.
Yet it’s the players fault.

The Firestarter

The softies in the squad are going to get found out very fast - hopefully this guy makes the team tougher mentally.
Yeah , a whole of yelling at millionaires from a rando whose name they probably haven't even heard 2 weeks prior. That's gonna sort out our "softies".

ArmaDino

It's more the culture rather than the people. The Glazers and their lackey in the name of Woodward have shifted us from a well oiled meritorcratic based machine, to a club where minimal effort is rewarded with a new contract to protect the "asset's value" usually coupled with insane wages as well.

In such an environment players have quickly learned that they can get away with way more than at any time in the past. There is a reason every single coach since LVG have been saying that we are run not like a football club.

Even the new recruits that walk through the door and become "part of the problem", because they immediately pick up on the culture. The culture has to be addressed first before we are going to stop seeing it. In the past we've had players like Pogba, Lingard and co who were problematic apples. Now we have Sancho, Casemiro, Rashford, Varane.

The good news is that INEOS have recognized this problem and are trying to move away from this model. Hopefully in the the near future this will be nothing more than a footnote in our club's history.

ArmaDino

van Der Gaag and ETH fell out or something?
No, Van Der Gaag wanted to be a manager even before ETH joined United. ETH persuaded him to come to United as he needed all the help he can get.

I imagine after last season and now that our management is looking to reshuffle our coaching, he wants to use this as an opportunity to be a manager again.

golden_blunder

Staff
It's more the culture rather than the people. The Glazers and their lackey in the name of Woodward have shifted us from a well oiled meritorcratic based machine, to a club where minimal effort is rewarded with a new contract to protect the "asset's value" usually coupled with insane wages as well.

In such an environment players have quickly learned that they can get away with way more than at any time in the past. There is a reason every single coach since LVG have been saying that we are run not like a football club.

Even the new recruits that walk through the door and become "part of the problem", because they immediately pick up on the culture. The culture has to be addressed first before we are going to stop seeing it. In the past we've had players like Pogba, Lingard and co who were problematic apples. Now we have Sancho, Casemiro, Rashford, Varane.

The good news is that INEOS have recognized this problem and are trying to move away from this model. Hopefully in the the near future this will be nothing more than a footnote in our club's history.
What you say is logical.

but believe me there were plenty of posters blaming these magical players that apparently had sank multiple managers. It didn’t make sense when anyone stopped to think about it. Which some of them clearly didn’t

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Yeah , a whole of yelling at millionaires from a rando whose name they probably haven't even heard 2 weeks prior. That's gonna sort out our "softies".
People like you really think it's all about the yelling don't you? It's about the discipline - if you don't do as expected, then be prepared to be "sorted out". It's about instilling standards not about what big name coach you have. With Ineos, player power will diminish so those who think they can just throw their toys out of the prams because the manager/coaching team is not treating them like the kings they think they are will have another thing coming.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I think there’s a decent enough amount of evidence to suggest it for a bunch of players. Rashford has had alternating seasons where he’s scored 20+ goals under Ole to being dropped and then from 30 goals with Ten Hag to another poor season. Many others like Maguire, Shaw, Lindelof, Mctominay, Wan Bissaka have been through our mediocre recent history. Our squad show that they are decent when a new manager comes in and crumble when it’s time to take the leap from top 4 finishers to title contenders. And the fact they don’t even retain a similar level to maintain top 4, under various managers, is another damning indictment of their capability.

Specific to England, I think it’s clear that the manager has no tactical vision that the players can believe in. Through a combination of luck and some gritty defensive performances, England under Southgate have over delivered on results in major tournaments. Especially compared to their performance levels. Now they are just waiting for the cycle to end.
What I don't like is in first paragraph you just blame in on the players, but regarding England it's apparently on the manager. The thing is, the bolded part can be also applied to United, wouldn't you agree?

It all started with me quoting you on "players going into their shells when facing any kind of adversity", what I simply don't believe to be true. In fact, last season I've seen us fighting well in many games where the main adversity was ridiculous tactics from Ten Hag and injuries.
We've had many games that we fought against the adversities. I don't think that is a problem. We've thrown away games that we felt we were in control, but I don't know what is the explanation for that.

From the players you've mentioned, Lindelof isn't even in the picture, Maguire and McTominay were key players and had good seasons (considering their levels), Wan Bissaka was OK like he always is, and Shaw was injured. Rashford is the only problematic player imo, and personally I'd look to get rid as I'm tired of him, but I also accept he's worth for us more than for the rest of the world so replacing him is very unlikely.

I don’t think it’s individual mentality. Most of these players have shown at one point or another that they have it in them to fight. It is more of a collective team issue, they struggle with adversity as a team.
I feel it's the complete opposite. It's individual mentality of Rashford, and probably you can add Casemiro as well last season (who seemed to play football just for fun).

I don't see the team struggling against adversity in general. It's another thing people just say if you asked me.

Last edited:

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
No, Van Der Gaag wanted to be a manager even before ETH joined United. ETH persuaded him to come to United as he needed all the help he can get.

I imagine after last season and now that our management is looking to reshuffle our coaching, he wants to use this as an opportunity to be a manager again.
Crazy that he turned down the Ajax job really. Can't see him doing better than that right now.

Telsim

I find it a bit weird the club keep him but reshuffle the coaches around him. Shame about Mitchell van der Gaag, as well. Seemed like a model professional but who knows what happens behind the scenes, right?

Hake and Van Nistelrooy look like good additions. I like what I have seen from Hake in those videos, I just hope the players actually understand what he is saying.

Ten Hag's excuses are all running out. Although the lack of a DoF will certainly be significant disadvantage for the months to come. He must deliver nonetheless.

ArmaDino

Crazy that he turned down the Ajax job really. Can't see him doing better than that right now.
Ajax is a mess anyway. He would be setting himself up for failure.

When he arrived here in 2022, I remember him being linked with a Belgian side. Brugge was it?

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Rashford, Martial, McTominay, Shaw and how can you forget your old pal, Lindelof? Maguire came after Mourinho but continued a trend of signing not quite good enough central defenders, so is obviously part of the problem.

That’s over half a team, right there.

Dalot makes seven but would be harsh to consider him part of the problem after the season he just had.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Rashford, Martial, McTominay, Shaw and how can you forget your old pal, Lindelof? Maguire came after Mourinho but continued a trend of signing not quite good enough central defenders, so is obviously part of the problem.

Dalot makes seven but would be harsh to consider him part of the problem after the season he just had.
Also doesn’t help that we’ve signed players who haven’t improved us one bit. Antony/Mount. Malacia could have helped us this season as we’ve had no LB all season but him just like Shaw has been injured all season. Mctominay as shown he can come off the bench and maybe make an impact with a goal.

Pogue Mahone

Also doesn’t help that we’ve signed players who haven’t improved us one bit. Antony/Mount. Malacia could have helped us this season as we’ve had no LB all season but him just like Shaw has been injured all season. Mctominay as shown he can come off the bench and maybe make an impact with a goal.
Absolutely. Plus Vareane and Martinez being unable to stay fit and Onana’s (hopeful!) teething pains, as well as too much responsibility on a player who looks a good few years away from being at the level needed (Hojlund). The signings under ETH have compounded long running issues. I’m just disagreeing with the notion that you can’t point to a core of players who have let down multiple managers over the years.

Pogue Mahone

Also. If you’re talking about ETH only you can add Ronaldo, Pogba, Lingard, Bailly, Jones, Telles, De Gea and Van De Beek to the list of inherited problems.

That’s EIGHT players he had to move on and not one of them would make you regret their departure by their careers after United. Which is a hell of a strike rate, when you think about it.

Add those seven to the six who have performed badly under multiple managers and it really brings home the size of the squad overhaul needed when he took the job.

Last edited:

golden_blunder

Staff

Lindelof was signed by Mourinho. McTominay was brought through by him.

Rashford, shaw & martial are the only ones here since Lvg

50% of the team has been signed by ETH

Pogue Mahone

Lindelof was signed by Mourinho. McTominay was brought through by him.

Rashford, shaw & martial are the only ones here since Lvg

50% of the team has been signed by ETH
Why do we have trace a path all the way back to LvG? Mourinho took over at United seven seasons ago. That’s a fecking lifetime in turns of squad (and manager) turnover. So if we have a big chunk of players still at the club - and still causing the current manager problems - then that confirms the point you’re arguing against. We have a core of players who have been here a very long time and have caused problems for multiple managers over that period of time.

And as far as ETH is concerned, every single sub par player at the club when he took over has been an issue for him. Which is where we add the eight other players he had to ship out, in addition to the six under-achieving players that have been here since Mourinho. And you can add Greenwood and Sancho to those eight he already shipped out. So we now have sixteen players he inherited who have all been a headache to manage. That’s a massive fecking challenge for any manager to deal with.

To be honest, it would be far easier to try and list the player he inherited that are up to scratch for a team with ambitions of winning major trophies. Because that’s a VERY short list indeed.

Last edited:

NLunited

I find it a bit weird the club keep him but reshuffle the coaches around him. Shame about Mitchell van der Gaag, as well. Seemed like a model professional but who knows what happens behind the scenes, right?

Hake and Van Nistelrooy look like good additions. I like what I have seen from Hake in those videos, I just hope the players actually understand what he is saying.

Ten Hag's excuses are all running out. Although the lack of a DoF will certainly be significant disadvantage for the months to come. He must deliver nonetheless.
I‘m Dutch and more than willing to translate Hake‘s cursing into English for the players.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
I can understand some scepticism after the season we just had, but the amount of posters that seem to be absolutely sure that nothing will improve next season is baffling. No mid-season takeover, young players improving and adding players to the squad should help, and the odds that we'll have a season-long injury crisis are low. If we don't see any improvement, or not enough, then ten Hag should go - that goes without saying. I believe that, given the right signings and departures, we should be at a much healthier place than last season and we should see the results of that on the pitch. ten Hag is a good coach, last season was a statistical anomaly in his career so far. I'm content with giving him a chance to rectify last season.
So much optimism, i hope you are right brother.

Revan

Assumptionman

It is even more funny considering that we have sacked only 4 managers since SAF left and there is no single player who is still here and who played under Moyes (the first manager we have sacked). There are only two who played under three sacked managers (Shaw and Rashford) who are still here.

Who are these mythical feckers who sacked four managers and are still here

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
How the hell is this guy getting a new contract? he's lucky enough to see out his last season. Things will hit the fan again if we stutter start in August.
His old contract guarantees veto rights INEOS don't want a manager to have. They needed to negotiate a new deal which guves EtH less power.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Also. If you’re talking about ETH only you can add Ronaldo, Pogba, Lingard, Bailly, Jones, Telles, De Gea and Van De Beek to the list of inherited problems.

That’s EIGHT players he had to move on and not one of them would make you regret their departure by their careers after United. Which is a hell of a strike rate, when you think about it.

Add those seven to the six who have performed badly under multiple managers and it really brings home the size of the squad overhaul needed when he took the job.
Pogba, Lingard, Bailly and Telles didn't play a competitive game under him did they?

Van de Beek was supposed to be an opportunity rather than a 'problem' .