Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Chairman Steve

This seems quite similar to how Rodgers eventually left Liverpool. His main assistant Pascoe was sacked after an underwhelming season and he was given Sean O’Driscoll and Gary McAllister (two guys who had been managers - the latter was a decorated ex-player for the club) and within three months, Rodgers was sacked and those two guys also.

Maybe it’ll end up with us appointing Klopp while on a sabbatical? :angel:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
If last season was a statistical anomaly, and we pick up from where we left off from his first season, then those make a difference signings should be able to push for a title. It only takes an off year from city, and then its only arsenal. If you aren't so fixated on arguing the point, you'd be the one saying this, most likely when you're arguing from a different perspective.
If you go back to the posts which you got into a hissy fit with - my point wasn't just around transfers. We are operating under a new game model that's decided by a new Technical Director. This means transfers and style is tweaked this model, which makes it less comparable to Arteta's continuity.

Also, even if we accept that last season was an anomaly, we still need more objectively speaking than 1 window to challenge for the title. Having signings that make a big difference is categorically not the same as fixing the entire squad in one window. I think you need to understand where I'm coming from here, first and foremost.

Teja

Collecting failed Dutch managers like infinity stones :lol:
Well, there's no question about interims to interims anymore if we decide to sack Ten Hag. One of RvN or Hake will step in.

I'm surprised about Van Der Gaag though, I thought he was highly rated (similar to McKenna) and the concern was more with McLaren. I know INEOS have been trying to get rid of VDG but why?

idek2346

Has this ever happened at a club where the manager’s assistants get sacked and are replaced with two new coaches who have had head coaching experience. This all seems very bizarre. It’s like admitting the coaching hasn’t been good enough but it’s the assistants that are the casualties.

No.2 and 3s get replaced often but usually they leave when a head coaching offer comes through (Arteta) or if there is a breakdown in working relationship with the head coach like Klopp and Buvac.

It would even make a bit more sense if we were getting rid of VDG and McClaren for younger coaches like Jose did with McKenna and Carrick or Klopp with Lijnders but according to the reports Ruud and Hake are the replacements and they are established coaches in senior football.

As an NBA watcher, this is fairly common practice in basketball but this is very new to football and I can see many problems with this especially as EtH seems like a manager very set in his own ideas and principles. This probably would have been perfect for someone like Ole but I guess we’ll see how it works out.

Sir Alex replaced his coaches on a regular basis.

Revan

Assumptionman
Well, there's no question about interims to interims anymore if we decide to sack Ten Hag. One of RvN or Hake will step in.

I'm surprised about Van Der Gaag though, I thought he was highly rated (similar to McKenna) and the concern was more with McLaren. I know INEOS have been trying to get rid of VDG but why?
He is 52, so I doubt that. He is basically the same age as Pep Guardiola and still just an assistant manager, so cannot be that very rated.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Hake calls a spade a spade?

I thought they were saying the issue with VDG is that he and ETH had a "bad cop / bad cop" dynamic, and so it would make sense to replace him with an "arm around the shoulders" type assistant who's known for communication with the players. Doesn't seem like the case, going by this.

El Jefe

Sir Alex replaced his coaches on a regular basis.
I explained the circumstances where managers replace their main coaches. SAF never had his replaced for him at the request of the board.

Kidd, McClaren, Smith and Quieroz left to take up head coaching roles this isn’t the same.

Teja

He is 52, so I doubt that. He is basically the same age as Pep Guardiola and still just an assistant manager, so cannot be that very rated.
I thought they were saying the issue with VDG is that he and ETH had a "bad cop / bad cop" dynamic, and so it would make sense to replace him with an "arm around the shoulders" type assistant who's known for communication with the players. Doesn't seem like the case, going by this.
This is my question too actually. It seemed like the concern was the bad cop / bad cop dynamic. His work around video analysis, pressing coaching etc. was still highly valued per that Athletic article recently. I thought we'd get rid of McLaren for some arm around the shoulder type guy. Maybe Ruud has that charisma, who knows? But why get rid of VDG?

Kirk lazarus

I explained the circumstances where managers replace their main coaches. SAF never had his replaced for him at the request of the board.

Kidd, McClaren, Smith and Quieroz left to take up head coaching roles this isn’t the same.
I think you are making assumptions .

Do you really believe that the Dutch manager has had no input at all in the proposed appointment of 2 Dutch coaches ?

I'm not buying it .

El Jefe

I think you are making assumptions .

Do you really believe that the Dutch manager has had no input at all in the proposed appointment of 2 Dutch coaches ?

I'm not buying it .
Of course EtH had a hand in picking them but from the reports, the decision for the existing coaches to be replaced was one taken above him.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Good move. Feels like ETH thought the coaches were letting him down and seems he was able to secure good replacements, no brainer. Assistant coaches are important.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Has this ever happened at a club where the manager’s assistants get sacked and are replaced with two new coaches who have had head coaching experience. This all seems very bizarre. It’s like admitting the coaching hasn’t been good enough but it’s the assistants that are the casualties.

No.2 and 3s get replaced often but usually they leave when a head coaching offer comes through (Arteta) or if there is a breakdown in working relationship with the head coach like Klopp and Buvac.

It would even make a bit more sense if we were getting rid of VDG and McClaren for younger coaches like Jose did with McKenna and Carrick or Klopp with Lijnders but according to the reports Ruud and Hake are the replacements and they are established coaches in senior football.

As an NBA watcher, this is fairly common practice in basketball but this is very new to football and I can see many problems with this especially as EtH seems like a manager very set in his own ideas and principles. This probably would have been perfect for someone like Ole but I guess we’ll see how it works out.
Dortmund made that move last winter when they brought in Nuri Sahin as assistant to Terzic. Sahin was managing in Turkey at the time.

Result in that case was that Terzic just left and Sahin is the new manager.

mu4c_20le

If you go back to the posts which you got into a hissy fit with - my point wasn't just around transfers. We are operating under a new game model that's decided by a new Technical Director. This means transfers and style is tweaked this model, which makes it less comparable to Arteta's continuity.

Also, even if we accept that last season was an anomaly, we still need more objectively speaking than 1 window to challenge for the title. Having signings that make a big difference is categorically not the same as fixing the entire squad in one window. I think you need to understand where I'm coming from here, first and foremost.
Sure, I generally agree that it would take more than one window, my post was intentional hyperbole which I thought was obvious. I didn't really think your post was that stupid, though maybe it came off a bit silly in that it seemingly predicts the future.
Any mention of transfers in Whitwell article?
No, still quiet on that front, at least from our end

Unam333

Hake calls a spade a spade?

Hate that Hake guy already. Such an a-hole coach, humiliating that guy in front of the camera. Dude was crying as well. You can't treat people like that, ever.

Edit:
Saw other videos and this guy was constantly swearing and screaming his head off. A real leader (and in this case a coach) doesn't need to scream to make his point.

Remember the geese

Hate that Hake guy already. Such an a-hole coach, humiliating that guy in front of the camera. Dude was crying as well. You can't treat people like that, ever.

Edit:
Saw other videos and this guy was constantly swearing and screaming his head off. A real leader (and in this case a coach) doesn't need to scream to make his point.
I assume you're joking. Sometimes hard to tell.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Sure, I generally agree that it would take more than one window, my post was intentional hyperbole which I thought was obvious. I didn't really think your post was that stupid, though maybe it came off a bit silly in that it seemingly predicts the future.
What's stupid about it? I said we wont be able to completely fix this squad in one window. That's less of a far-fetched prediction and more of an observation of reality.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I assume you're joking. Sometimes hard to tell.
Actually, joke or not, i agree with @Unam333 . I am all for yelling in general to make a point but screaming at someone (and throwing insults at him) is a no go. If i was that player, no way i would let them (managers) do that shit. Guy is an idiot.

Imagine your boss at work doing that to you. Would you be ok with it? Football is not an army, ffs.

ArmaDino

Good move. Feels like ETH thought the coaches were letting him down and seems he was able to secure good replacements, no brainer. Assistant coaches are important.
They can only do so much. Case in point: Carrick and McKenna under both Mourinho and Ole.

On a sidenote: I imagine RVN is going to take both McLaren's and McCarthy's job. While the Go Ahead Eagles coach might replace Van Der Gaag as his No. 2.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I was dead serious. We're in the year 2024 now. You can't do that, ever. Hopefully you don't have a boss who humiliates you in front of your co-workers and in front of the cameras.
This video is clear example of mobbing. In any other job this idiot would be sacked. And funny how people have different views about some things;
Boss in McDonalds/bank/IT company yells on employee: front page of Daily Mail would scream with headline - "mobbing on work place"
Manager in football club yells on player (and throw insults): "What a manager he is. Right guy to restore order".

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
This video is clear example of mobbing. In any other job this idiot would be sacked. And funny how people have different views about some things;
Boss in McDonalds/bank/IT company yells on employee: front page of Daily Mail would scream with headline - "mobbing on work place"
Manager in football club yells on player (and throw insults): "What a manager he is. Right guy to restore order".
There’s definitely a significant gap in respect that your average worker gets from an average human being versus how players are perceived by majority of football fans these days. Footballers are often disliked, even by their own fans, perceived as spoiled prima donnas who did nothing to deserve the money they earn or the fame, so it’s no surprise that people enjoy seeing them being humiliated.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Actually, joke or not, i agree with @Unam333 . I am all for yelling in general to make a point but screaming at someone (and throwing insults at him) is a no go. If i was that player, no way i would let them (managers) do that shit. Guy is an idiot.

Imagine your boss at work doing that to you. Would you be ok with it? Football is not an army, ffs.
Yeah, thank god SAF never did that.