Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Because he manages Go Ahead Eagles. He's being offered a role at one of the biggest clubs in the world.
It’s still a downgrade though no matter how big of a club we are. A manager means you’re in charge of the team. Now he’ll be working under a manager. I’m all for it though don’t get me wrong. I was just just saying why are we getting managers as coaches, like RVN. He’s being offered the managers job at Burnley. But obviously we’re a big attraction

DJ_21

Ruud isn’t a manager, he’s unemployed. In his one spell as manager he said himself that he’s not ready
That’s a fair point. But it was mainly aimed at the guy from go ahead eagles. Once you’re a manager they may find it hard to then take orders from someone who will be above them.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
It’s still a downgrade though no matter how big of a club we are. A manager means you’re in charge of the team. Now he’ll be working under a manager. I’m all for it though don’t get me wrong. I was just just saying why are we getting managers as coaches, like RVN. He’s being offered the managers job at Burnley. But obviously we’re a big attraction
Considering that RVN talked about how he wasn't ready for that when he actually managed PSV it might be possible that he just prefers that. Be on the pitch with the players coaching them, but don't be involved in all of the other stuff that a manager has to do.

DJ_21

Considering that RVN talked about how he wasn't ready for that when he actually managed PSV it might be possible that he just prefers that. Be on the pitch with the players coaching them, but don't be involved in all of the other stuff that a manager has to do.
Ye maybe. Any thoughts on the G.A. Eagles manager?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Hold up, the Go Ahead Eagles guy is an SEG represented manager? The family eats again, huh

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
Feels like obvious contingency planning in case INEOS reach a point where they feel compelled to move on from ten Hag. Maybe neither of these guys are their long-term preference but would surely be obvious interim manager choices that wouldn't necessarily mean us punting on the season with a manager change.

El Jefe

So you decide, do you want to include the 200m as the squad he inherited or in the money spent pile? can't have it both ways. Yes, and Arteta finished 8th and 8th.

So what, if players are 18 and 19 they are not good enough? I am sure you will say Mainoo is not good enough then.. probably think Southgate is a good manager then?

Okay, if the Ole/ Ralf year was a shit show, why can't I say last season was a shit show and not representative of our true level?
I never said last year wasn’t a shit show and was representative of our true level because it wasn’t. We were hurt by injuries that’s a fact but we were hurt just as much by EtH’s foolish tactics.

EtH can have a fit squad and do better than last season quite easily. I think most EtH non-believers like myself expect this. My issue is he’s in year 3 of the project now so there can be absolutely zero excuses for us not seeing close to the final picture of how he wants this team to play.

If we get into next season and we still are easy to play through, struggle to pass out from the back and shite in attack then we just have to accept that Ten Hag is a failure. I’m already at that point personally, I’ve seen enough to believe he’s not good enough but for those that still dream of a successful future with him, another season of poor football cannot be excused.

DJ_21

Feels like obvious contingency planning in case INEOS reach a point where they feel compelled to move on from ten Hag. Maybe neither of these guys are their long-term preference but would surely be obvious interim manager choices that wouldn't necessarily mean us punting on the season with a manager change.
Ye that does make most sense as to why we’re going after ruud and the other guy. They’re both capable of stepping in for interim if we need. If I was ETH though I’d be worried that the owners still don’t have 100% faith in him. I mean will ETH have any say in any of the new coaches INEOS are trying to employ for him? It does seem though that they’re getting a Dutch connection going.

romufc

I never said last year wasn’t a shit show and was representative of our true level because it wasn’t. We were hurt by injuries that’s a fact but we were hurt just as much by EtH’s foolish tactics.

EtH can have a fit squad and do better than last season quite easily. I think most EtH non-believers like myself expect this. My issue is he’s in year 3 of the project now so there can be absolutely zero excuses for us not seeing close to the final picture of how he wants this team to play.

If we get into next season and we still are easy to play through, struggle to pass out from the back and shite in attack then we just have to accept that Ten Hag is a failure. I’m already at that point personally, I’ve seen enough to believe he’s not good enough but for those that still dream of a successful future with him, another season of poor football cannot be excused.
I agree, I dont think anyone is saying another poor season will be excused.

The finished article is difficult when you have no clarity in alot of players futures. Other clubs were settled going into their mangers third season.

We have issues with Sancho, Greenwood to deal with, coaches are not dealt with yet.

We are going into a season with no CB pairing, 21 year old ST, so its not the same as other clubs.

devilsadvoca8

Feels like SEG, Ten Hag and the Netherlands in general have Ineos at their mercy.
Feels like INEOS supporting the manager they've just decided to let stay on. Putting a better team around him to give him the best chances of success. Weird thing to complain about at this stage. SEG or not, If all involved feel these are the right coaches for us then so be it. Coaches can't be forced on a manager like maybe players can be, INEOS Wilcox in his role as TD would have sat down with Erik and analyzed the coaching and agreed improvements needed to be made and that's what they are doing. Hake did a remarkable job with Go Ahead who normally battle relegation but performed extremely well and Rudd, well he's Ruud so there's that and on top of that he's had experience with the Holland national team and managed PSV too and was a World Class player so it will help.

mu4c_20le

Do you want to try and answer the question?

Do you think we will fix the squad in one transfer window?
Doesn't really matter what I think mate, I haven't been too impressed by ineos since the initial appointments. At this time our transfer links haven't been amazing, but it only takes two or three key signings to make a big difference, and we're all hoping for the best. I'm just surprised to hear such pessimism coming from you, had I been dismissive of the coming season before we even signed anyone, you'd probably be amongst the first to call me out for being negative and kneejerk. Top 4 should always be a minimum requirement, not an achievement.

Smores

Ye that does make most sense as to why we’re going after ruud and the other guy. They’re both capable of stepping in for interim if we need. If I was ETH though I’d be worried that the owners still don’t have 100% faith in him. I mean will ETH have any say in any of the new coaches INEOS are trying to employ for him? It does seem though that they’re getting a Dutch connection going.
Why would ETH ever assume the owners had 100% faith in him anyway? Or care? It's a result driven business and he's just an expendable employee, one nearly sacked.

Something had to change with the coaching as it wasn't working, getting new coaches in could be a big step in the right direction. Despite being ETH out for some time i'd have probably gone with that over changing ETH anyway given Tuchel (probably) turned us down.

Gupz

That’s a fair point. But it was mainly aimed at the guy from go ahead eagles. Once you’re a manager they may find it hard to then take orders from someone who will be above them.
I think that completely depends on what level you are managing at. Not all managers will get the opportunity to work at top tier level. Realistically speaking, this guy from Go Ahead Eagles already reached his peak as manager which is midrange Dutch league. And it will be very difficult for him to step up to another level. So being assistant manager at a top tier team may be his only opportunity to get experience at top level. Plus, this experience will probably open up new doors for him which he would not get by staying manager at low level tier.

Reactions: 711

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Doesn't really matter what I think mate, I haven't been too impressed by ineos since the initial appointments. At this time our transfer links haven't been amazing, but it only takes two or three key signings to make a big difference, and we're all hoping for the best. I'm just surprised to hear such pessimism coming from you, had I been dismissive of the coming season before we even signed anyone, you'd probably be amongst the first to call me out for being negative and kneejerk. Top 4 should always be a minimum requirement, not an achievement.
A big difference is not the same as challenging for the title.

I'm confident wel make signings that can make a big difference, but I think wel need more than one summer to challenge for the title.

You quoted my post stating this and had some hissy fit.

Valencia Shin Crosses

In best case scenario could realistically get us back to 22-23 level in the league but also mix it up with good EL performance and maybe another cup. This would be rather excellent outcome and would fully vindicate last season.

In a more realistic scenario we are aiming for 4th to 6th while still counting on good cup performance as he has proven himself there already. It would still prove that it was a good decision to keep him.
If that's the result we got and we still have 0 progress playing good football, it sure as feck would NOT prove anything about it being a good decision.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Maybe United are building something different when it comes to coaching setup. Remember we were linked with Gary O’Neil for a similar role

mu4c_20le

A big difference is not the same as challenging for the title.

I'm confident wel make signings that can make a big difference, but I think wel need more than one summer to challenge for the title.

You quoted my post stating this and had some hissy fit.
Interesting how you went from
We know we cant fix the squad in one window. Our owner has literally said this himself.
to "I think we'll need more than one summer" :confused:

DJ_21

Why would ETH ever assume the owners had 100% faith in him anyway? Or care? It's a result driven business and he's just an expendable employee, one nearly sacked.

Something had to change with the coaching as it wasn't working, getting new coaches in could be a big step in the right direction. Despite being ETH out for some time i'd have probably gone with that over changing ETH anyway given Tuchel (probably) turned us down.
Getting given a new contract should mean the owners have faith in you. And I’d probably say we turned Tuchel down. He wouldn’t have been happy with the role INEOS was offering (head coach) it was probably a joint decision to be fair. New coaches should hopefully help transform our style but McClaren as only ever received high praise from former players he use to coach so he can’t be a problem and didn’t his other assistant work with him at Ajax? They was also successful together

DJ_21

I think that completely depends on what level you are managing at. Not all managers will get the opportunity to work at top tier level. Realistically speaking, this guy from Go Ahead Eagles already reached his peak as manager which is midrange Dutch league. And it will be very difficult for him to step up to another level. So being assistant manager at a top tier team may be his only opportunity to get experience at top level. Plus, this experience will probably open up new doors for him which he would not get by staying manager at low level tier.
Good post and well explained. Makes a lot more sense when you look at it like that.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Interesting how you went from

to "I think we'll need more than one summer" :confused:
Do you know the difference between signings that can make a difference to how we finished (8th) and signings that fix the entire squad to challenge for a title?

It's astounding this needs to be spelt out to you

mu4c_20le

Do you know the difference between signings that can make a difference to how we finished (8th) and signings that fix the entire squad to challenge for a title?

It's astounding this needs to be spelt out to you
If last season was a statistical anomaly, and we pick up from where we left off from his first season, then those make a difference signings should be able to push for a title. It only takes an off year from city, and then its only arsenal. If you aren't so fixated on arguing the point, you'd be the one saying this, most likely when you're arguing from a different perspective.

tjb

Something had to give. They believed in ETH and some of his ideas, but clearly the implementation was the problem, regardless of individual talent. Hence, they are taking improving the support he has to implement solid tactics and improve player fitness by changing his coaching staff. It makes sense

idek2346

Something had to give. They believed in ETH and some of his ideas, but clearly the implementation was the problem, regardless of individual talent. Hence, they are taking improving the support he has to implement solid tactics and improve player fitness by changing his coaching staff. It makes sense

Correct. These moves may also help with communication with the hierarchy.

Remember that INEOS keep mentioning a "game model" which Wilcox will help implement. You're going to need a big coaching staff to be able to have oversight in order to achieve the end vision.

El Jefe

Has this ever happened at a club where the manager’s assistants get sacked and are replaced with two new coaches who have had head coaching experience. This all seems very bizarre. It’s like admitting the coaching hasn’t been good enough but it’s the assistants that are the casualties.

No.2 and 3s get replaced often but usually they leave when a head coaching offer comes through (Arteta) or if there is a breakdown in working relationship with the head coach like Klopp and Buvac.

It would even make a bit more sense if we were getting rid of VDG and McClaren for younger coaches like Jose did with McKenna and Carrick or Klopp with Lijnders but according to the reports Ruud and Hake are the replacements and they are established coaches in senior football.

As an NBA watcher, this is fairly common practice in basketball but this is very new to football and I can see many problems with this especially as EtH seems like a manager very set in his own ideas and principles. This probably would have been perfect for someone like Ole but I guess we’ll see how it works out.