Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Alot hinges on the type of summer we have.

If we can reinforce with good players then I think we might put up some sort of title challenge assuming everyone improves and stays healthy. Big assumption of course.
Title challenge is very optimistic. We need much bigger squad turnaround to get there, probably takes 4-5 years from now before we can realistically expect ETH to mount a title challenge.

Woziak

NIstelrooy a club appointment, whilst Erik gets his own appointment as a compromise?

Hard not to be buzzing for the return of Ruud!
Especially if he’s doing the shooting and finishing drills unlike, Benny McCarthy, everyone says Benny was great but we failed to score more than 60 goals in either PL season.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I’m excited about some of the new staff additions for next season. Hopefully it will help us implement a style of play.

DJ_21

Especially if he’s doing the shooting and finishing drills unlike, Benny McCarthy, everyone says Benny was great but we failed to score more than 60 goals in either PL season.
I remember McCarthy getting some praise at one point though when Rashford scored an header or 2.

Woziak

I remember McCarthy getting some praise at one point though when Rashford scored an header or 2.
However we scored less than 60PL goals in both seasons he was our striker coach!
Only Ole improved this side of the team when he came in.

DJ_21

However we scored less than 60PL goals in both seasons he was our striker coach!
Only Ole improved this side of the team when he came in.
I know! I agree with you. Was just saying he got praise when Rashford scored some goals that was similar to his.

romufc

The only way your point adds up is if the expectation for EtH joining us is that we wouldn’t make any signings the summer he joined. How can I judge EtH off a squad he never coached or played with.

Arteta and Klopp had to use what they had for their 6 and 9 months respectively. EtH was never in this position as he started by making big signings.

I will continue to laugh because Saka and Martinelli were 18 and 19 and were not in Arsenal’s strongest lineup then, Saka was actually playing LWB then. Saliba was on loan at Saint Etienne and Ozil was banished from the squad or injured after a handful of early games under Arteta.

Your Bruno and Rashford point point makes no sense, much like the rest of your post. My criticism of them is in terms of us winning the league or CL with them, I’ve not said they aren’t good players. They easily get into the Arsenal and Liverpool starting lineups I highlighted above which is what is relevant to the conversation rather than your strawman argument.

Again I provided you with trends which you seem to ignore. A team that finishes 5th 6th 5th (Arsenal prior to Arteta joining) in three seasons clearly has worse prospects than one that finished 3rd 2nd 6th (United before EtH). We had a shitshow of a year under Ole/Ralf but it was not representative of our true level.
So you decide, do you want to include the 200m as the squad he inherited or in the money spent pile? can't have it both ways. Yes, and Arteta finished 8th and 8th.

So what, if players are 18 and 19 they are not good enough? I am sure you will say Mainoo is not good enough then.. probably think Southgate is a good manager then?

Okay, if the Ole/ Ralf year was a shit show, why can't I say last season was a shit show and not representative of our true level?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Exactly. But why would managers want to downgrade to become a coach under another manager?
Because he manages Go Ahead Eagles. He's being offered a role at one of the biggest clubs in the world.

Amir

I'm still not sure why people think that being a good striker translates to being a good strikers coach.

Stadjer

I'm still not sure why people think that being a good striker translates to being a good strikers coach.
It is how football works for some reason. Good players are expected to become good managers.

In the Netherlands Co Adriaanse once came with a famous quote about Marco van Basten becoming the manager of our national team as his first job. He said that 'A good horse doesnt make a good rider'. With how van Basten his career as a manager went and how he now reflects on it himself, Adriaanse was totally right.

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
Because he manages Go Ahead Eagles. He's being offered a role at one of the biggest clubs in the world.
Plus he brought them European football last season while they usually fight against relegation. There's no way he will top that performance and always quit on a high.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
But Rene Hake is, I guess the question was about him?
He said it in the plural form and people have asked that question about Ruud too, so just wanted to ensure that people know the context for Ruud. This other guy, don’t know anything about him but he probably doesn’t turn down United, especially having worked with ETH before

Chairman Steve

If these coach changes materialise, I’m interested to see whether Hake and RVN are ETH choices or club choices, as well as how they fit into the current coaching setup.

Would McClaren and van der Gaag be leaving? Both Hake and RVN are (or have been for RVN) been Eredivisie managers recently so they must have a strong No.2 role under ETH as a result, and we already have two No.2s in McClaren and van der Gaag.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
If these coach changes materialise, I’m interested to see whether Hake and RVN are ETH choices or club choices, as well as how they fit into the current coaching setup.

Would McClaren and van der Gaag be leaving? Both Hake and RVN are (or have been for RVN) been Eredivisie managers recently so they must have a strong No.2 role under ETH as a result, and we already have two No.2s in McClaren and van der Gaag.
I’m still of the mind that Ruud will replace McCarthy. McCarthy is out of contract this summer and no word of a new deal

Chairman Steve

Ruud would get some welcome his first day back on the bench at OT.
I would be disappointed if come first home league game of the season, no ‘Ruuuuuuuuddddd’ is heard from the Stretford End, as soon as the coaching staff walk along the touchline to the dugout.

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
He said it in the plural form and people have asked that question about Ruud too, so just wanted to ensure that people know the context for Ruud. This other guy, don’t know anything about him but he probably doesn’t turn down United, especially having worked with ETH before
See my reply just before.

pascell

So replacement for McCarthy and MVDG

More than likely to replace McCarthy and Ramsey, as we never replaced the latter.

NLunited

You'll have posters on here defending ETH by saying that Arnie Slot inherited a great side, whilst we go ahead and spend another £200m or more on players this summer.
Pool is facing a rebuild too, but they might squeeze a great season out of this squad yet. They are in much better shape than we are.

Amsterdam Devil

How many Dutch assistants does he need? Strange this. First we are shopping in the Dutch eredivisie for players and now for coaches.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I have no idea what coaches do and how this is transformed to actual team performance. With strikers it's particulatly difficult.
IMO we should just focus on creating chances and it'll be good. All our forwards (Rashford, Bruno, Hojlund, Garnacho, Amad, Mount) seem to be ok at finishing chances.

Is there any "success stories" available for other clubs in terms of coaching? Or just everyone does it differently?

I'd say the coaches need to work well with the manager, that's for sure. I think if we keep changing them it's not indicating we're doing good in that department.