Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I don't think he's good enough but there's not much else on the market. Backing him into next season but he needs to sort out the league form and actually figure out how to dominate games

Jimmah

Good decision, glad we can get on with the preparations for the next season now

Blood Mage

The looming spectre of Southgate when things inevitably go wrong for him, and they will, is going to be excruciating. It's hard to be optimistic about the club's future at the moment.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
That's that then. Time to back the manager - a 3rd trophy-winning season on the bounce is a very likely possibility.

RORY65

I was leaning out at the end of the season just because I thought he did a shit job for most of last season but the lack of alternatives and the fact he did win the FA Cup (I know one game shouldn't matter but the reality is it does) means it's a fair decision especially given the key football people aren't in place yet. I suspect this summer and next season are going to be tricky but we are going to have to see a big uptick in the quality of football next season otherwise a lot of the same talk will arise next summer.

Last edited:

LInkash

Why extend the contract?

It just means having to pay out a lot more if by December things don't improve and they decide to sack him.

Surely you would wait and see how the seaosn progresses, THEN offer a contract?
I imagine there will be some sort of clause in the new contract

the_cliff

Looking to extend the contract is a bit weird. You’re so unsure of him that you explore other options but now you are not only wanting him to stay but want to lengthen it?
That worries me tbh. I get keeping him but extending his contract ? Like you said, why would you extend the contract of a person who was close to the sack ?

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Yes they have, they have interviewed other managers for the job while keeping Erik in limbo and now they decide to keep him, its embarrasing for a club tbe size of Man Utd to be opporating this way.
Or maybe they did their due diligence and decided Ten Hag was the better option.

They didn't rush into a decision and looked at all options. Now let's back him and hope it works out for the best.

Rolaholic

Now over to the next summer saga to be settled before we can do business in the market, Sancho 3.0!

kerrygold

Supports
united
Disappointed. The FA cup final doesn't paper over an absolutely awful season with crap football

Thought Ineos wanted to show ambition

The only positive is it's not Southgate
Except now everytine he has a hiccup Southgate name will be in the mix.

tomaldinho1

My opinion of Ineos has immediately shot up, not because of this news but because for the first time, probably in as long as I can remember, there have been no leaks and the journos look like absolute tools. That guardian journo who started this stampede of click bait news and made up stories should be constantly referenced as the pits for all journalism.

macheda14

The looming spectre of Southgate when things inevitably go wrong for him, and they will, is going to be excruciating. It's hard to be optimistic about the club's future at the moment.
It’s not happening. Stop worrying about it and you’ll sleep better.

Rolaholic

Now get him the players he deserves, and watch him cook. Thank fock common sense prevailed.
What do you mean by this, is our squad not a reflection of his input already?

He's genuinely been backed better in the market than any manager post-Fergie, we've spent massive amounts on players simply off his recommendations

Eddy_JukeZ

Not too thrilled.

Hopefully we get off to a much better start next season. If not, INEOS have failed massively.

dubplate warrior

Well he's not in charge of recruitment anymore and the alternatives left a lot to be desired.

I think there's no point choosing a replacement when there isn't an obvious one and the new structure isn't even in place yet.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
He didn't deserve it but I guess the cost and movements above him have saved him for now. There are some positives to the stability.

No need for a new contract, just activate the extra year at best.

Redo91

Not totally against keeping him given the lack of alternatives but can’t understand why we are holding talks about an extension with him. One year left and he’s unlikely to be in demand so next summer made sense to review.