Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Abhinav

It’s how the game goes. Manchester United needs to do what’s right for Manchester United first and foremost. Ten Hag will be OK regardless.
I guess. However, the decision to sack LVG after the FA cup win was criticised widely. This one is not going much better at the moment.
From the club’s perspective, the sooner we can get a new manager in, the sooner we can plan for next season. Anyway, I would expect to hear something soon on this because I don’t think they can remain tight lipped on this much longer.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
You literally played in the CL this season. You still qualify as often for the CL as you don't and every season where you fail to do so is a sackable offense for the manager. Nothing about should change.

It's both embarassing and fascinating to see United fans just accepting mediocrity as new reality.

Look at your revenue, your UEFA coefficient, your history. United still is top 5 to top 15 in Europe in every metric that spans multiple seasons. There is no reason why United should be fine with dropping out of this.
And did we perform like a CL club? feck no we did not. We performed like first timers.

Our recent record of qualifying for the CL is spotty at best and as such it would be delusional to stomp around bragging about how we're really a CL club, look at our revenue, our coefficient,football heritage blah blah blah.

The reality is we are nowhere near being a CL club at the moment. It's not acceptable but it's the reality and we can't begin to overcome that until we accept it.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
And did we perform like a CL club? feck no we did not. We performed like first timers.

Our recent record of qualifying for the CL is spotty at best and as such it would be delusional to stomp around bragging about how we're really a CL club, look at our revenue, our coefficient,football heritage blah blah blah.

The reality is we are nowhere near being a CL club at the moment. It's not acceptable but it's the reality and we can't begin to overcome that until we accept it.
I think you're right in a way, but it's surprising to see how many times we've actuality finished 2nd, 3rd or 4th in the last 5 or 6 years. We're still in the CL more than not, and I think that will be INEOS expectations at the very least. But this issue is contractual, and from the outside looking in, it's been apparent that no CL football has been the trigger for sacking managers. So I'd expect the clause relates to that, if there is one as reported.

Dr. Dwayne

I think you're right in a way, but it's surprising to see how many times we've actuality finished 2nd, 3rd or 4th in the last 5 or 6 years. We're still in the CL more than not, and I think that will be INEOS expectations at the very least. But this issue is contractual, and from the outside looking in, it's been apparent that no CL football has been the trigger for sacking managers. So I'd expect the clause relates to that, if there is one as reported.
I am probably a little jaded because Thursday/Sunday football sucks and it feels like we've had more of that in the last 10 years.

I wonder if the CL requirement became softer after some of our sponsorship deals relaxed a little or the player contracts started including pay cuts?

hobbers

I actually think he will be okay professionally, which will take the sting out of it. We have been such a basket case that many clubs will not view him as a failure for his time here.
He'll be okay but it's a shit look for United in terms of looking like a place you'd want to go and manage, if this is how Ineos behave.

Saying that, cant be any worse than Chelsea and they still have no trouble getting managers in the door.

leontas

I can only assume they’re running thousands of simulations to see which route they should follow. Only except of running it on a supercomputer they’re running the simulations on a floppy disk with a dial-up connection which is why it’s taking so long.

stevoc

Yeah someone else pointed that out, too, and it's fair but we're not a Champions League club anymore.
Well no not when we don't qualify for it we're not. Hence why it usually results in the manager losing their job.

stevoc

When you add that to the league performance, it paints quite the picture of just how bad we've been this season.

stevoc

I am probably a little jaded because Thursday/Sunday football sucks and it feels like we've had more of that in the last 10 years.

I wonder if the CL requirement became softer after some of our sponsorship deals relaxed a little or the player contracts started including pay cuts?
Our last manager got sacked because it looked like we weren't qualifying foe the CL. Ten Hag probably would have been sacked in December also if not for the takeover process resulting in a changeover of power and an interim CEO.

Posh Red

Since Berba seems incapable of explaining why he's posting Tier 0 tweets again, the jroades guy seems to be the Muppetiers fella.

According to Google Jack Fawcett is either the son of famous explorer Percy Fawcett, and he died in 1925, or he's some Twitter nobody with absolutely zero credentials whatsoever.
Whatever happened to the quality control on the forum? I always assumed stuff like ‘Muppetiers’ (cringe!) weren’t permitted?

Dr. Dwayne

Well no not when we don't qualify for it we're not. Hence why it usually results in the manager losing their job.
For me it's consistency. Qualify for four out of five CL campaigns and we'd all agree that's a CL club. Slip to two or three out of five and it's debatable.

When you add that to the league performance, it paints quite the picture of just how bad we've been this season.
We looked really naive in the group stage. Worse than the mid 90s.

Dr. Dwayne

Our last manager got sacked because it looked like we weren't qualifying foe the CL. Ten Hag probably would have been sacked in December also if not for the takeover process resulting in a changeover of power and an interim CEO.
Yeah I don't disagree. I thought he'd be gone in late November but the takeover obviously got in the way of football operations.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Any competent owners (especially fairly new ones) will be conducting an ongoing review ever they stepped foot in the place officially six months ago. Doing an ‘end of season review’ with seemingly no review before that (like the press are suggesting) just runs the risk of recency bias influencing your decision. Does winning the FA Cup last game of the season hold more weight than any of our embarrassing Champions League games or getting destroyed by Bournemouth at home or Palace away?

Are the press just second-guessing our moves and this ‘end of season review’ is just based on conjecture?
Well as a general rule of thumb, I tend to assume the media know pretty much nothing (bar a couple) and use our name for clicks. Usually works out fine.

I agree that making a decision on one game is stupid, but maybe pre final, it was a close decision (with injuries and last season giving Ten Hag some brownie points) and they were leaning towards McKenna. Then, last three games (esp the Cup Final), combined with speaking to players, combined with McKenna staying, made them have to reconsider keeping him.

At the end of the day, we’re all guessing but I’d definitely expect a dec by next week latest or I will start to worry.

doubleohseven

Our last manager got sacked because it looked like we weren't qualifying foe the CL.
He was really sacked because he won feck all, and the players had enough of him.

Anyway, it's academic as Jamie Jackson reminds us Gareth Southgate is admired by the new regime.

If he's the 'big reveal' after EtH, the club needs to be shut down permanently.

stevoc

For me it's consistency. Qualify for four out of five CL campaigns and we'd all agree that's a CL club. Slip to two or three out of five and it's debatable.

We looked really naive in the group stage. Worse than the mid 90s.
We're not far off. But I get what you're saying mate. We should be in the CL every year, with the resources we have and the money we spend on fees/wages. There's really no excuse.

13/14 CL
15/16 CL
16/17 EL
17/18 CL
18/19 CL
19/20 EL
20/21 CL
21/22 CL
22/23 EL
23/24 CL

We did look naive in the group stages but to be fair we've looked like an amateur outfit all season. It was apparent in Pre-Season, when the season started, when we got knocked out of the CL and it just continued until we finished 8th.

Dr. Dwayne

We're not far off. But I get what you're saying mate. We should be in the CL every year, with the resources we have and the money we spend on fees/wages. There's really no excuse.

13/14 CL
15/16 CL
16/17 EL
17/18 CL
18/19 CL
19/20 EL
20/21 CL
21/22 CL
22/23 EL
23/24 CL

We did look naive in the group stages but to be fair we've looked like an amateur outfit all season. It was apparent in Pre-Season, when the season started, when we got knocked out of the CL and it just continued until we finished 8th.
Hey that's better than I remember but you get it, we should be perennials in that competition and we're not quite hitting that target so it's hard for me to confidently claim we're a Champions League club.

Gaidal

There really isnt a single manager out there that i would be willing to hire. I cant see Tuchel working at all, weird choice for the new bosses to bring in someone who fights with his bosses at every club.

M Bison

Supports
York City
So it’s a media circus now? Absolute silence the past week, one snippet of something from muppetiers via discord and it’s a circus.

This place is insane.
The noise has been going on since before the cup final ffs. It’s ridiculous the way it’s been handled.

Steve Bruce

That's fair and was true when we were still a Champions League club. We're not that anymore, though, and to rescue an EL place with an unexpectedly dominant win over City might have swayed a few minds.

If he goes, he goes and no one will be surprised. If he stays it's also understandable.
I want him to stay. I do think this is just a bad season and not the standard or style we will see going forward if he is given the time.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
Looks like he’ll be staying
I don't think so.

INEOS would have annouced it either right away or a few days after his FA Cup. They're not denying rumors of contacts with other managers either. Based on what I saw from INEOS, they only make statements when things are done, which is a good thing.

FortunaUtd

He'll be okay but it's a shit look for United in terms of looking like a place you'd want to go and manage, if this is how Ineos behave.

Saying that, cant be any worse than Chelsea and they still have no trouble getting managers in the door.
At any other big club the manager would very likely have been fired mid season. Ten Hag got to finish the season, and got to collect a significant trophy along the way, and gets to leave with his head held high. That is honestly more than he could have expected. It's not a 'shit look' for United, the club is acting in a very dignified manner. There is no way he can feel hard done by if he is replaced now considering what he delivered over the season, and if he actually thinks the club owes him anything more he'd need to check his own attitude.

Managers will see that we are still a place where they are revered and given authority, perhaps even too much so.

AndySmith1990

If they're actively looking for a replacement then the decision is already made, and presumably they're just waiting for Ten Hag to return so they can let him know face to face, rather than through a text, or twitter