Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

The Firestarter

You literally played in the CL this season. You still qualify as often for the CL as you don't and every season where you fail to do so is a sackable offense for the manager. Nothing about should change.

It's both embarassing and fascinating to see United fans just accepting mediocrity as new reality.

Look at your revenue, your UEFA coefficient, your history. United still is top 5 to top 15 in Europe in every metric that spans multiple seasons. There is no reason why United should be fine with dropping out of this.
Precisely and I cant fathom any Utd fans being somehow content with this, alas here we are.

Andy_Cole

With how long it took to buy the minority shareholding this shouldn’t come to anyone’s surprise how slow they are.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Even if ETH stays, his relationship with the new owners will surely be broken. The way they’ve treated him… say what you want about him but he doesn’t deserve that.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
It's fecking annoying he's managed to make himself the poster boy for footballing news because about 90% of his content is just engagement bait and regurgitating the same shit repeatedly.
I don't know why it's so hard for some to understand that engagement is what's paying his bills. He doesn't work for anyone, if he's not getting likes/views he's not getting money, of course he's going to farm it.

Superunknown

If they're going to sack him when he gets back, maybe he's taking the piss and is booking an extremely long holiday to counter that. His holiday may end up being a gap year.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
I don't see how they keep him to be honest.
Having one year left on his contract makes it really awkward. They either have to back him or let him go. If they do neither, it'll be this press coverage and uncertainty all season long. Some clubs can manage that quite well, we are just not one of them. Then again, how can they back him with a longer deal, giving the season he just had?

Fair play to him though, gambled it all on the City game and it paid off. Literally started practising that formation since the Newcastle game. It worked and now this is the strongest his stock has been this year.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
You’d think they were studying theoretical physics in this review considering it’s well into the second week and they still haven’t finished enough to make a decision on the manager.
They have several factors to consider: tactics, impact of injuries, players perception of the coach, training methods, and even after that they need to review what is available in the market. I won’t be surprised if we take until July to make a decision.

DJ_21

This needs to get sorted ASAP so we can identify targets with the manager and sign them quickly. Don’t want another summer where we get into a lot of bidding wars

Vidooq

I know that he will get a big paycheck if he is sacked, but being publicly dragged by the press for almost two weeks now, probably does not fell good, and I think INEOS could've and should've dealt better with Ten Hag internally.

Imagine having a new CEO coming into the job, and not give you one single shred of reassurance for months about your position, while talking to other people than can take over your job tomorrow?

Even if he stays, which I seriously doubt that it will happen, there will always be that sour taste in the mouth that INEOS does not believe in him, which will likely be backed by not giving him a new contract.

TsuWave

I don’t know why people are acting like it hasn’t been utter dross under Ten Hag

it’s some of the worst football we’ve played generally speaking. though we do get the odd chaos ball to spice it up from time to time, with us seldom coming up on top

for clarification - I’m not for Southgate, I’m just saying the quality of football under Ten Hag hasn’t been particularly champagne

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
It's not his job, but it directly impacts his job, thus he should care
He doesn’t need to care, he doesn’t have to be aware of club’s finances or even be familiar with transfer fees.

In fact he may not even know value of money or be familiar with the exchange rate (he’s a football coach not a banker). So even if he were told a certain player was going to cost a certain amount of money but got quoted price in £, he may have not known how much it is in €, a currency he will have been more familiar with.

If we had wanted someone who would have been conscious about those things we would have hired a financial analyst.

3KDré

They're just waiting to do this as close to Euros as possible so that FA Cup hype dies down and those that oppose are distracted by Euros. It will be Tuchel, I bet.

DJ_21

They're just waiting to do this as close to Euros as possible so that FA Cup hype dies down and those that oppose are distracted by Euros. It will be Tuchel, I bet.
The Fa cup hype should have already died down. Was over a week ago now. I reckon it’s more likely to be poch than tuchel.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
He doesn’t need to care, he doesn’t have to be aware of club’s finances or even be familiar with transfer fees.

In fact he may not even know value of money or be familiar with the exchange rate (he’s a football coach not a banker). So even if he were told a certain player was going to cost a certain amount of money but got quoted price in £, he may have not known how much it is in €, a currency he will have been more familiar with.

If we had wanted someone who would have been conscious about those things we would have hired a financial analyst.
I enjoy your posts in this thread

BorisManUtd

A month ago or even couple of weeks ago felt to me like we'd surely go for Tuchel or Poch (or McKenna). Now all the other big clubs got their manager (Barca, Bayern, Liverpool, Chelsea) and we won the Cup so who knows, maybe they'll just trigger that additional year in his contract and then sack him as some point next season if we're shite.

Dragging this out longer than this week would be really poor. Hopefully we'll know the decision in few days.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
What would ‘caring’ do? It’s the people above him that negotiate these things.
The point that was being made was that he could have, and probably should have, objected to the amount the club was planning to spend on Antony.

It's not his job to negotiate transfer fees or ensure we get value for money, but he would have surely known that our resources are constrained, and every penny spent on one player is a penny that can't be spent on another.

A lot of the fans ignoring this fact are also the ones bemoaning that he "wasn't backed" and was given a bunch of players on loan. Can't have your cake and eat it too.

colombianmancunian

What worries me about the bald guy leaving is that there aren't any good coaches on the market:

Pocchetino hasn't won anything.

De Zerbi is an unknown and has the bald guy's ego.

Harry Potter and Southgate are mediocrity incarnate.

Tuchel is not a project coach. He's a winner, but after three years, he's clashing with the locker room just like Mou.

Zidane doesn't seem to want to coach in England.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
What worries me about the bald guy leaving is that there aren't any good coaches on the market:

Pocchetino hasn't won anything.

De Zerbi is an unknown and has the bald guy's ego.

Harry Potter and Southgate are mediocrity incarnate.

Tuchel is not a project coach. He's a winner, but after three years, he's clashing with the locker room just like Mou.

Zidane doesn't seem to want to coach in England.
There's 3 or 4 coaches in there who have coached their team to play some good football. I'm not a fan of what ETH is trying to do here, even on a good day. All season we've complained about the lack of control over games even when we're winning. It was the same in his first season too. So I think, at the very least, some of these coaches could put us on the right path in terms of style of play.

Another coach we've apparently been looking out is Michel at Girona. I've heard about how well he's done this season but not seen them play. According to this article, they were possibly one of the most attractive brands of football in the league, which is some feat given they'd only just been promoted.

https://www.coachesvoice.com/cv/michel-girona-tactics/

Red Star One

There's 3 or 4 coaches in there who have coached their team to play some good football. I'm not a fan of what ETH is trying to do here, even on a good day. All season we've complained about the lack of control over games even when we're winning. It was the same in his first season too. So I think, at the very least, some of these coaches could put us on the right path in terms of style of play.

Another coach we've apparently been looking out is Michel at Girona. I've heard about how well he's done this season but not seen them play. According to this article, they were possibly one of the most attractive brands of football in the league, which is some feat given they'd only just been promoted.

Michel made a great impression this season and he’s a very hot prospect, but Girona shares owners with City - I’m not sure if it’s feasible for us to poach from there

colombianmancunian

I watched Girona against Madrid and they were good, but haven’t seen them consistently to have an opinion.

De Zerbi for me is changing like for like.

Tuchel is acceptable. We will win silverware under him, but his record doesn’t show that he is the right guy to build a project.

Three names are a big no for me: Pocchetino, Gareth “mediocrity” Southgate, and Harry Potter.

Hal9000

feck this club, still the same clown show under Sir Jim. If ETH is not you guy just announce it already, let's not have cloak and daggers whilst we try and speak to see if any other two bit failures are interest.