Erik ten Hag | 2024/25

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

• and crack

Results are only viewable after voting.
Best to look at this game as a one-off. Everything else is according to plan. And Brighton have spent a lot too, only reasonable for us to expect a loss today.
Of the signings we've made, only Zirkzee has minutes. We've been missing our first choice centre forward and left back. Last season was an ugly watch but I don't think it's time to push the panic button just yet.
I don't think people are reacting to how we looked today. I think people are reacting to watching the same movie for what feels like the 20th time in a year.
I get it's frustrating and I do think we'll see the back of him this season, but I'll be interested to see how we look when de ligt is established, ugarte comes in and we get Hojlund back.

An ETH team that concedes silly last minute goals? Color me shocked!

We will never win the PL or CL with him in charge.

Poor result but come on, it's not another season of the same just yet. There are small signs of improvement there in terms of the way we're wanting to play.

I have never seen any team sub out their CB for no reason at the 80th its so stupid and I don’t know what does it achieve
Along with the Bruno sub, it was like he was trying to lose.

There are some who believe we have improved. In which areas is a complete mystery given that our attack is still dysfunctional, our wingers haven't suddenly improved from what was a pretty good year for Garnacho last season, and there's nothing different about Onana's antics this year. The only improvement I see is the availability of Martinez, but we're probably clutching at straws if we're crediting ETH with one player being fit enough to play again.
We've been better so far this season than last year but statistically we were just above relegation level last season so it'd be hard to be worse than that. It doesn't mean we're good though and we're still a long, long way away from where we want to be.

I get frustrated by the counterattacking approach against mid-tier to lower level teams. We are meant to be one of the top teams in the league. We should be dominating possession and creating loads of chances. But, we too easily concede possession. Not enough players in the squad who are good enough at forward, progressive passing. You saw many times today where we could have had a scoring opportunity but the final ball was misplaced. The passing has to be more decisive and players need to stop giving the ball away so easily.

Last season I couldn't see any hope, but with INEOS in there's no doubt that ten Hag will be replaced if things don't improve. With Ashworth coming in late in the Summer, keeping ETH around was the smart call as it gives them plenty of time to look at alternatives.

I have genuinely never seen a manager so creative in finding ways to lose:

2-0 up against Sevilla with 10 mins to go and draw 2-2. Lose the tie 3-0.

Score a late goal to win 2-1 against Arsenal which is ruled out and they go up the other end and score.

2-1 up against Galatasray with 15 to go and lose 3-2. Never recall a team doing that at Old Trafford.

2-0 up against Copenhagen on 43 mins and go in at half time 2-2. 3-2 up with 7 mins left and lose 4-3.

2-0 up against Galatasaray in a must win. 3-1 up. Draw 3-3.

2-0 up against Wolves. 3-1 up against Wolves. 96th minute Wolves make it 3-3.

3-2 up against Chelsea in the fecking 98th minute and lose 4-3. What the actual feck.

Last minute 96th winner against Brentford to win 1-0 yet they still equalise in the 99th minute.

3-0 up against Coventry and a toenail away from losing 4-3. Against Coventry. What the actual feck.

Last minute equalise against Fulham at OT. Going to win it in classic United fashion? No. Fulham go up and make it 2-1.

And now today. Most hilarious freak offside you’ll ever see to go 2-1 up. Completely capitulate and once again they score in ETH time.
:lol: Almost forgot about some of these. Mentality monsters

The team lost 14 games in the league last season, two games in and already an away match to a poor Brighton team resulting a loss.

I think overreactions should be the norm under such circumstances.

United are performing like a top 8 team and because of the inconsistency of last season the games against Fulham and Brighton are being highlighted as a benchmark for progression?
This wasn't a poor Brighton team, though. They will end up top eight or thereabouts. Not a good result but a loss away at Brighton to a last minute goal is hardly a disaster.

An ETH team that concedes silly last minute goals? Color me shocked!

We will never win the PL or CL with him in charge.

I'm not sure we'll even finish higher than 6th again with him in charge. His first season is looking like an anomaly in that regard.

the fact that a combo of Milner and Gilmour outshone Mainoo Casimero is a damning indictement of ETH tactics. Gilmour played as a sole pivot and looked so comfortable. Whatever ETH is trying with his midfield setup just doesnt work, playing 4 midfielders leaves us toothless upfront and playing 3 leaves us wide open. Its clearly not the players themselves thats the issue.
Yeah found myself thinking this as well. It's one thing being overpowered by a top MF, but Milner and Gilmour is as bang average as it looks.

Baleba absolutely bossed it when he came on. Mainoo and Casemiro are being asked to cover too big a distance in that midfield. EtH needs to find a way to compact that middle third without sacrificing our attack, and leaving us open in behind.

Most other top managers manage to do it, and he's been here over 2 years now so it's not like he hasn't had time. He has to back up his post FA Cup fighting talk this season with a big performance level from the team. Not going to overhype this result so soon, but worrying similarities with last season.

Results don't prove performances, that's the definition of confirmation bias. We weren't amazing, but we deserved a draw at minimum, I'd say we were good value for the win.

We didn't win because of some terrible luck, and lots of poor decision making to ruin several glorious opportunities, Amad being the biggest culprit.

Draw maybe fair but I don't think we looked anything special and certainly not deserving to win . Less shots, lower xg, less passes in opponents half, less touches in opposition box, less duels won. Not much of note in our favour.

I think people are just seeing what they want to see with early season optimism. It's a little different in terms of the structure of the team and lineup but still extremely mediocre.

He should have gone last season and its not looking good at the start of this. He'll need a miracle to turn it around in my opinion, one which he's not gonna get.

Results don't prove performances, that's the definition of confirmation bias. We weren't amazing, but we deserved a draw at minimum, I'd say we were good value for the win.

We didn't win because of some terrible luck, and lots of poor decision making to ruin several glorious opportunities, Amad being the biggest culprit.

As for being unlucky, one could make the case that Brighton were unlucky not to be up 3-0 after Welbeck hit the bar and they had a sure goal cleared off the line. Also, they had more shots on goal and shots on target than us, so its hard to make the case we were unlucky when they were just as if not more interested in scoring than we were.

Subs were poor today. Always feels that subbing a CB towards the end of the game is extremely unnecessary. Also Amad, Maino, and Cas looked cooked towards the last 20 minutes, but we took off Bruno and Maguire instead.

Sticking with manager is fine when he is actually trying to achieve a pattern or style and progressing.

With Ten Hag its not clear what hes trying to do even.

Amad literally is the only reason we scored pal, and created some really good stuff as well. Rashford meanwhile has shown absolutely nothing in 2 games now, if anything his spot is the one Garnacho should take.

His shot was going wide until it hit the defender and over than that he was awful and continually wasted possesion by to playing a silly pass to no one, he also struggled to stay onside being flagged off on multiple occasions.

I agree about Rashford, he shouldnt be selected in the starting XI either

Solid? Brighton could have scored 5 today. We got dominated.
Yeah, didn’t think we looked solid at all - especially in the second half. They had a few other good scoring opportunities and I think it was Wellbeck who hit the post with a header.

I think that's actually coincidence this time around. De Ligt and Mazraoui are talented, the right age and were available at a good price.
That's scarier then because Mazraoui's injury record is terrible and De Ligt is still to establish himself as a top defender after all the early promise. Hope it works out for us.

No overreaction after what we witnessed last season.
Won a cup and we had significant injury problems throughout. Yes, we didn't look good last season, but I didn't see much today to throw toys out of the pram about.

50 % wanted to keep him after finishing 8th and bottom of the CL group. Half the fanbase. Let that sink in.
We are becoming like City. Happy to win a cup against your bitter rival.

We have improved. Our press is a bit more organised and we are a bit more solid in the middle.

That doesn't mean it is enough though. Our fullback still doesnt back the press. We still are clueless in attack. Our press is much less effective without Mount.

It comes back to this for me ultimately. In his first season he tried to play the same way we are now. It didn't work and he changed it (Liverpool game) and we got success with it. Then, in his second season, we tried to play his football again and we played the worst football I have ever seen us play - apart from the FA Cup final where he...changed away from his play style.

And now we are seeing a squad full of his players, his 3rd year. There is no excuses - this is his football. It's just not a good brand of football. His ideas don't work.

For what its worth I thought we played OK today. Much better than usual.

I suppose you could make that argument, but what good is any of it if we're losing games ?

Good managers are brave managers. They make big calls in-game to influence the match. Ferguson, Guardiola, Klopp, Ancelotti, Jose etc...all brave, decisive managers.

EtH reverts to the same cowardly tactics every game. How many games have we won by two or more goals under his management? It can't be many...and it's because as soon as we go ahead or have something to protect, we bring on two defenders and try to defend our 18-yard line.

The big problem with this, as we have seen again today, amongst other things, is that you end up giving away loads of dangerous corners, free-kicks and also penalties - because you're playing 20 yards from your goal.

Utd are now committed to Ten Hag, bringing in the players he wants means it has to work otherwise a new manager will be ripping up the squad again, which Utd can't afford. Ugarte will cement that, another hyper presser rather than an all rounder.