Erik ten Hag | 2024/25

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

• and crack

Results are only viewable after voting.
Where do we think he needs to be in the table come the end of November for Ten Hag to not be in danger of getting the sack? :confused:

After 3 seasons we need patience?

Reading this thread is what it must feel like to talk to Trump supporters
It's funny because the trump-esque crowd is actually on the other side. It's just a clear mob mentality and ignorance of any sign of progress in performances.

Madness isn't it? Must be sunk cost fallacy at this point.
I do think its a bit rich to talk about fallacy when you claimed easy chances werent created, then you claimed we weren't set up correctly, and then backtracked on a different point again just yesterday.

People say this like it has been nightmarish throughout. In reality he had a great first season, we finished in a respectable position with a trophy. In the second season we got hit by unprecedented injuries, it was not good enough admittedly but you can't tell me other managers would not have struggled.

The reality is this season he has everything available to him and we are seeing that we are playing good football. We are controlling games. We are making big chances. These usually lead to points on the board.
The first season was good, not great. We were average at best for the majority of the second half of the season.

Second season we looked absolutely diabolical for the entire season, including during the times we didn't have many injuries. Obviously the injuries made things even worse and any manager would have struggled to some extent, but there's no excuse for ETH's performance. There were multiple times where the opposition manager had just as many, if not more, injuries and it didn't stop them embarrassing us.

This season there has been an improvement. It's enough that I still haven't voted in this poll and I'm willing to give him a bit more time to see if we continue to improve. But I'm fairly certain it's still not going to be good enough.

Where do we think he needs to be in the table come the end of November for Ten Hag to not be in danger of getting the sack? :confused:
I don’t think it matters. As long as we are top half and pick up good results here and there, as we have been since the start of season, he has nothing to worry about. We have clearly improved this year and will probably be closer to 4th than we will be to 8th.

It's hard though when Fulham and Brighton are also backing their managers by spending a billion quid on players they want. How are we supposed to compete?

Its nothing to do with money and squads
We have a better squad than Crystal Palace by a country mile..

We have been watching inept coaching for so long we’ve actually forgotten how even a semi decent coaching can transform a team.

If we hand it over to Ruud I’m confident he’ll deliver much better results than ETH, its actually mad he’s still the coach.

Been watching football for decades have never seen any club be so forgiving to a manager.

When the club is doing nothing and the fans aren’t mounting any pressure to change things that’s the same as being happy with our position.

The club and the fans seem close to reaching a point where they accept they are the Brightons or Fulhams instead of trying to change things and at least try to have a go at reclaiming top spots.
I think we have pretty much accepted that already. We prioritize manager over results, and would rather sacrifice a few points or finish slightly lower but ensure we are not perceived as a sacking club, and add to the reputation of a club that ‘stands by its manager’.

Pool, I don’t think people can honestly complain about too much which is a welcome change from last season
mate the performances has been shite what are you on about

If a 0-0 against Crystal Palace is good performance and nothing to complain about, you’re the kind of fans I’m talking about who’ve accepted mediocrity.

0-0 against Palace, nothing to complain about. 5 goals in 5 games sitting 11th are good performances apparently.

Btw they had an xg of 1.01 and we had 1.70.
Lets not act we bossed them and were incredibly unlucky they had big chances as well it was hardly Celtics vs Barca

mate the performances has been shite what are you on about

If a 0-0 against Crystal Palace is good performance and nothing to complain about, you’re the kind of fans I’m talking about who’ve accepted mediocrity.

0-0 against Palace, nothing to complain about. 5 goals in 5 games sitting 11th are good performances apparently.
If you can’t separate performances from results, don’t bother responding. If you can feel free to ask if you don’t understand something.

If you can’t separate performances from results, don’t bother responding. If you can feel free to ask if you don’t understand something.

An XG of 1.01 to 1.70
They had 4 shots on target we had 6
They had 3 big chances we had 5

Yes we performed slightly better, thats about it really.

But your standards are so damn low that for you that’s enough.

If that isn’t accepting mediocrity I don’t know what is.

It's funny because the trump-esque crowd is actually on the other side. It's just a clear mob mentality and ignorance of any sign of progress in performances.
I have been a vocal EtH-outer since we lost to Palace last season at home, so I went quite early.

However, what I will say is that I wouldn't have a single complaint this season if that was our "par" performance away from home. I have consistently said that I don't care about the results right now but that I haven't seen enough progress / evolution in our football under ten Hag.

Yesterday was one of the rare occasions when there were signs that he does have a viable vision for this team. Have to caveat that of course by saying its one game, we didn't win and we relied on a world-class save from Onana and a bad miss by Eze to cling on...but the first half especially was very encouraging.

His in-game management was still very questionable. Taking off Zirkzee for Rashford was exactly what we didn't need. We had control and Zirkzee was playing well, holding the ball and bringing others into play. Rashford is a wildcard and often struggles to get into the game in the #9 position.

I can understand bringing him on, given his recent goals, but it had to be for Amad or Garnacho. EtH ended up taking off one of our best players on the day and then moving Rashford out wide 10-15 minutes later anyway.

I think we have pretty much accepted that already. We prioritize manager over results, and would rather sacrifice a few points or finish slightly lower but ensure we are not perceived as a sacking club, and add to the reputation of a club that ‘stands by its manager’.

Spot on.
Its dogma at this point

People need to critically think why traditions came about in the first place. It was a different time, a time where these “traditions” helped us succeed.

Next 5 games:
Spurs (H) - D
Villa (A) - L
Brentford (H) - D
West Ham (A) - L
Chelsea (A) - L

Aren't we at home against Chelsea. Chelsea away is later in the season. And we'll whoop their arses both home and away.

I have been a vocal EtH-outer since we lost to Palace last season at home, so I went quite early.

However, what I will say is that I wouldn't have a single complaint this season if that was our "par" performance away from home. I have consistently said that I don't care about the results right now but that I haven't seen enough progress / evolution in our football under ten Hag.

Yesterday was one of the rare occasions when there were signs that he does have a viable vision for this team. Have to caveat that of course by saying its one game, we didn't win and we relied on a world-class save from Onana and a bad miss by Eze to cling on...but the first half especially was very encouraging.

His in-game management was still very questionable. Taking off Zirkzee for Rashford was exactly what we didn't need. We had control and Zirkzee was playing well, holding the ball and bringing others into play. Rashford is a wildcard and often struggles to get into the game in the #9 position.

I can understand bringing him on, given his recent goals, but it had to be for Amad or Garnacho. EtH ended up taking off one of our best players on the day and then moving Rashford out wide 10-15 minutes later anyway.
If we can see that from our TV screens or phones, why is it hard for ETH ? Rashford as a 9 ? Really ?
The only logical explanation to subbing Zirkzee was an injury, as far as I'm concerned.

We will never have sustained long term success under this guy. Matches against mid table teams away are a 50/50 for us now.

Worst decision in a decade to not get rid of him in the summer.

An XG of 1.01 to 1.70

Reliance on XG alone when evaluating performance is such a bollocks way to go about criticising a team. It's so obvious that yesterday's performance was very encouraging and we were good value for a lead if we just had our shooting boots on.

We actually had a good XG vs Liverpool but we're completely outclassed on the eye test. Going by only XG just to make a point is soft.

I don’t think it matters. As long as we are top half and pick up good results here and there, as we have been since the start of season, he has nothing to worry about. We have clearly improved this year and will probably be closer to 4th than we will be to 8th.

It probably does to Ratcliffe and Ineos though. If we get to half way or close to it. I imagine they'll be expecting we'd have picked up enough point to enable CL qualification. I don't think given the level of invesment they've made in the club that they'll accept another season of EL/EC football.

Reliance on XG alone when evaluating performance is such a bollocks way to go about criticising a team. It's so obvious that yesterday's performance was very encouraging and we were good value for a lead if we just had our shooting boots on.

We actually had a good XG vs Liverpool but we're completely outclassed on the eye test. Going by only XG just to make a point is soft.
Xg is what the modern fan uses to justify their shitty arguments. It’s like, using your own eyes to judge a performance is a crime and should be outlawed.

I think its less of where he needs to specifically be in November and more about what our performances are like. As long as we are in the top half and close to top 4 i.e. we aren't starting to say its going to be a challenge to get top 4, then he should be fine come November as there is also the Europa league in the back pocket and he has a good track record in cup competitions.

It's an interesting one for INEOS though, you have invested in players for his style (good signings it looks like so far), the performances whilst not spectacular are good yet the results aren't quite matching the performances. If this was Ten Hag's 1st year you might say there are promising signs. It being his 3rd year complicates it as I think fans are in the right to say you should be seeing more in his 3rd year. So from an INEOS perspective I imagine you have to make decisions on this season rather than the previous 2 (which will enrage the Ten Hag haters). They will likely have set a benchmark that he will have to meet, which I imagine is top 4 or a close 5th, a cup and generally good performances through the season. If he hits those marks then there's a chance they keep him on for next season. But it is right on a knive edge at the moment. If we beat Twente and then Spurs for example this will be a nice mini run, if we lose v spurs and Villa, especially in a pathetic way, then I can see him getting sacked.

An XG of 1.01 to 1.70

Wow. I doubt even a Palace fan would say that.

You can still be ETH out and be realistic about our performances

The first half was certainly the best we’ve played all season (versus PL standard opoosition at least). But we didn’t put the ball in the back of the net, which again, is a recurring and frustrating theme. So overall, no, I wouldn’t say it was excellent. Finishing some of the chances we created and taking the lead would have been excellent. I guess we just have different standards.

We're both frustrated by our poor finishing, no doubt about that, but it seems a bit reductive to write off an excellent half due to poor finishing.

Still, perhaps we can agree that it's a promising sign that we put in such a dominant performance, poor finishing aside, away to a team that battered us last season?

Honestly, I think I still want him sacked but we absolutely should've won yesterday. The problem he has now is that he can't win with a lot of our fans. We've improved massively from the shitshow that was last season and you could easily say we've been unlucky to not have scored more. Garnacho vs Fulham and Brighton, Zirkzee missed two sitters against Liverpool and again, yesterday, Bruno, De Ligt, Zirkzee and Nacho missed some piss easy chances.

I've no idea why people think we're going to dominate for 90 mins. Even at our best under Fergie, we didn't do that. Football ebbs and flows, and Palace were obviously going to create some chances and it was written in the stars that we would fall off at some point. That said, thats 4 out of 5 games this season where we've actually been significantly better than our opposition. 17 big chances missed tell us that we're actually good at creating chances, we look solid defensively... theres a lot to build on and I'm quietly confident we can walk over Spurs next week.

If he gets sacked tomorrow, I wouldn't shed a tear. I've seen enough from this team this season to know that we're more than capable. This place just feeds off the doom and gloom, where actually theres a lot to be excited about - the young core, the solid defence, Onana look confident and definitely the most fluid we've looked in a long, long time.

Excellent post.

Wether you want ETH to be sacked or given time, you have to like this team and it's potential

As the saying goes, It's not about the wins. It's about the style of football. We've given ETH enough time for him to imprint his style on the team. We've given him enough transfers too. He's had a lot of signings go his way. I can even look beyond the Antony signing but the fact that there's no discernable style of play over three seasons confirms that he's not cut out for the United job.

Managers like Emery have turned around teams in a much quicker time. Even the Brighton manager is running circles around our fraud. And we fecking got schooled against the scousers.

lots of posters keep saying fans are happy at 8th etc but I haven’t seen a single person say that’s acceptable.

I saw positive signs yesterday and thankfully the club aren’t acting on emotion and making rash decisions by sacking EtH.

Disappointing not to get 3 points yesterday but still positives and felt like a move in the right direction.

Next 5-6 games are crucial, pointless discussing whether he should be sacked now, he’s going no where until at least those games have been played.
The most likely outcome of this season is that he will be sacked once our season is ruined

I didn’t rely on XG alone did I?
There wasn’t a huge gulf in number of shots were there?

Yes we could have scored 2, but so could have they. Yes we performed better but people saying “fans cant have much to complain about the performances have been that good” is straight bollocks and the mother of hyperbole.

You

Yes we could have scored 2, but so could have they. Yes we performed better but people saying “fans cant have much to complain about the performances have been that good” is straight bollocks and the mother of hyperbole.
You’d have to be a complete and utter moron to not see that for the majority of the game we absolutely dominated. Who cares what the stats say?

You also do not get to use the word hyperbole when your prior post fecking stinks of it.

Xg is what the modern fan uses to justify their shitty arguments. It’s like, using your own eyes to judge a performance is a crime and should be outlawed.
No, it is only used when it fits the agenda of said poster. Same for the possession % or number of shots.

Eye test and stats tell me we performed well and should have beaten Palace.

You

You’d have to be a complete and utter moron to not see that for the majority of the game we absolutely dominated. Who cares what the stats say?

You also do not get to use the word hyperbole when your prior post fecking stinks of it.

My bad for posting in this childish thread where you’ll be called a moron for saying what everyone in the world thinks.

I’ll refrain from posting on this thread from now on..

The state of this website these days

My bad for posting in this childish thread where you’ll be called a moron for saying what everyone in the world thinks.

I’ll refrain from posting on this thread from now on..

The state of this website these days
There he goes with his hyperbole again. Sit down, babe.

It was 8 shots to 11 when we played Liverpool with 3 on target a piece. They were extremely ruthless with their shots and once it became 2-0 it was game over and we were played off the park.

I didn't really need to go far back with an example to show how XG and shots don't really tell the true events of a game.

Spot on.
Its dogma at this point

People need to critically think why traditions came about in the first place. It was a different time, a time where these “traditions” helped us succeed.

It wasn't even a tradition and it wasn't the norm of the time. United simply stumbled on two genuinely great managers who had the character and abilities to lead an organization for decades. For some reason people decided to look at it backwards and pretend that these two managers had success because they had long tenures.

Anything to bash Ten Hag, eh?

Might as well look up our record against Blackburn during the 2004-2007 season for comparison. Beat us twice home and away in 2004/2005.

Or Boro around the same time frame. Drew us at OT and hammered us 4-1 at Riverside.

Or Aston Villa under O'Neil where they would beat us home and away and make extremely hard to beat.

We can also go to Athletic Madrid who used to lose to Real and almost always Barca.

I can go on and on, however the notion of bogey team being a myth is just laughable.

A 'bogey team' is only an interesting term when talking about a top team that's likely to win most matches they play. Most of these examples of yours are perfect. An all-conquering Utd team that just couldn't seem to win against a seemingly weak team for an extended period of time.

Otherwise, I guess we can say that poor Luton just kept running into their bogey teams last season. Terrible luck!

Game state mattered a lot in terms of the stats, imo.

We performed to a very high level in the first 60min and could/should have been 2-0 up at that point. And if that had happened, the last 30min almost certainly plays out very differently, with it ending up looking an extremely comfortable win.

Especially as bringing on Rashford, Hojlund and Ugarte has a very different impact on the game if we're ahead and Palace are leaving space looking for an equalizer, as opposed bringing them on when we're still trying to break Palace down.

So while @Suv666 is right that in the end the stats looked relatively close (though we were still obviously better), that doesn't really provide the full picture if you're using the stats to evaluate the performance.