Erik ten Hag | 2024/25

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

• and crack

Results are only viewable after voting.
You’re 100% right and these posts are really tiring. Some posters go to incredible lengths to justify Zirkzee as a ten Hag signing just because of his passport. There’s enough to bash ETH with, but some people love to make up stuff, and say the weirdest things, just to push their agendas, like taking Sancho’s side over ten Hag, or claiming that he’s still the one identifying players and giving their names to Ineos, etc. They are doing exactly what you said: burying their heads in the sand.

Explain how saying Ten Hag is still the main driving force behind identifying our transfer targets, is 'bashing' him?

Ditto.

We have a manager who has shown over several windows that he favours signings Dutch, Ajax and Eredivisie players. Said manager didn't sign a new contract and likely retains the transfer powers he had under the previous owners.

This summer we sign 3 players who are Dutch born and raised, 2 of which are his former Ajax players.

But no apparently Ineos were behind those signings. :confused:

I don't know for sure and neither do you but I know what I suspect based on Ten Hag's time at the club.

Eriksen, Malacia, Weighorst, Antony, Martinez, Onana, Amrabat.
You've got problems with the timeline. I'm talking about INEOS and their approach and you're throwing names from previous windows.

Its been reported by the Athletic that de Ligt was an INEOS signing and Zirkzee has as much of an Ashworth footprint on it as any other transfer.

But you're basically being incredibly lazy, covering your ears and not looking at what the tier 1 reports suggest and instead go "DUTCH INNIT"

I don't believe that. He's clearly close to getting sacked so he'd be stupid to work against the wishes of the new management structure unless he actually wants to lose his job.

So why didn't he sign a new contract then?

A new contract that probably/might have came with a raise and likely a bigger payout if he does eventually get sacked.

Regarding the interview, it wasn't a ''vote of confidence'' after three games. That leads to misinformation and that is twisting the narrative. This was an interview BEFORE the Liverpool game. Questions were asked, and answers were given.

Take some things into consideration;

• INEOS first season
• Last season, everything was the Glazer's fault. This season narrative is changed to Ten Hag's responsibility
• There's elements United are playing better, the results don't show that, though
• 3 goals we conceded were down to terrible and amateur individual mistakes, nothing to do with tactics
• The Liverpool defeat - Slot didn't change anything, why is it a shock Liverpool bet us?

Also, remember the following;

• Two years ago we were humiliated by Brentford and Brighton in first two games, we went on to finish third in PL and two cup finals
• United is like a big ship, it needs to be steered when waves are high, and there was a lot of waves Ten Hag had to deal with

Have some calmness, we all share the same thing on here, our love for United. Let the new players fit in, give the manager space to breathe, let the injured players return. One thing fans are good at, every time a new game comes, the spirit is always there at OT. Just be chill, it's week 4 of the club after being completely restructured.

After all, Ten Hag is not Harry Potter :smirk:

Let's analyze this part of play, where Casemiro did his thing.

1. Casemiro is a dead brain for trying that pass.
2. How is our structure with the ball and also immediately after losing the ball.

This kind of play has been very rampant, is it by coincidence or is by instructions

You've got problems with the timeline. I'm talking about INEOS and their approach and you're throwing names from previous windows.

Its been reported by the Athletic that de Ligt was an INEOS signing and Zirkzee has as much of an Ashworth footprint on it as any other transfer.

But you're basically being incredibly lazy, covering your ears and not looking at what the tier 1 reports suggest and instead go "DUTCH INNIT"

Ironically I believe that's what you are doing, you believe any brief that's fed to the Athletic. The Athletic are reliable but they aren't the gospel, seeing as Ratcliffe/Ineos made a big song and dance about new transfer strategies yet couldn't get Ten Hag to sign a new deal and/or relinquish his transfer powers. You don't think they might be motivated to spin it that they were the ones who identified all our signings?

So let's look at it, Ten Hag under the previous regime identifed these players for the club to sign.

Eriksen - Ajax
Martinez - Ajax
Antony - Ajax
Malacia - Dutch
Weighorst -Dutch
Amrabat - Dutch (born and raised)
Onana - Ajax

But this summer Ineos coincidentally identified, completely independent of Ten Hag the following?

Mazrouri - Ajax + Dutch (born and raised)
Deligt - Ajax + Dutch
Zirkzee - Dutch

As I said I don't know for sure and neither do you but I know what I suspect. What is the problem anyway, do you interprit this as some sort of criticism of Erik?

I find it hard to assess his squad because he basically makes almost every single player worse. It’s definitely better than the level it’s performing at, but whether it’s a good one we cannot be sure until we have a proper manager managing it.

I agree - but that reinforces my point really.

OGS regularly fielded the likes of Fred, McT, Dan James, AWB, Rashford, Martial etc...but his football was so simple it largely worked OK for us with a bit of star quality thrown in from Pogba (when he could be arsed) and Bruno.

This squad is miles better on paper for me, especially with Ugarte in it.
Agree with both actually.

It's hard to assess this squad but I feel we are underachieving terribly. This group should be doing so much better. Like you can't tell me Brighton with Gilmour and Milner in CM should be better than us.

"Already showing improvement"? In his third full season Klopp got 97 points in the Premier League and won the Champions League :lol:
Well thats the point i am making. I was just generalising between him and Arteta.

Agree with both actually.

It's hard to assess this squad but I feel we are underachieving terribly. This group should be doing so much better. Like you can't tell me Brighton with Gilmour and Milner in CM should be better than us.
You probably are going to have quite a few who think Brighton have a much better team than us. Just remember last year people were actually arguing our squad had no chance against Palace because they were much stronger and it had nothing to do with manager.

Ironically I believe that's what you are doing, you believe any brief that's fed to the Athletic. The Athletic are reliable but they aren't the gospel, seeing as Ratcliffe/Ineos made a big song and dance about new transfer strategies yet couldn't get Ten Hag to sign a new deal and/or relinquish his transfer powers. You don't think they might be motivated to spin it that they were the ones who identified all our signings?

So let's look at it, Ten Hag under the previous regime identifed these players for the club to sign.

Eriksen - Ajax
Martinez - Ajax
Antony - Ajax
Malacia - Dutch
Weighorst -Dutch
Onana - Ajax

But this summer Ineos coincidentally identified, completely independent of Ten Hag the following?

Deligt - Ajax + Dutch
Zirkzee - Dutch

As I said I don't know for sure and neither do you but I know what I suspect. What is the problem anyway, do you interprit this as some sort of criticism of Erik?
As I've said already, the INEOS model is different, and you keep throwing in transfers predating this. It's really not the "gotcha" moment you think it is.

Athletic (and skysports) and Ten Hag's own words that De Ligt was suggested to him and not the other way round definitely weights a feck ton more in terms of credibility compared to your "but he's dutch!".

Honestly it's such braindead logic. Zirkzee and Ten Hag didn't even overlap in careers for fecksake :lol:

So why didn't he sign a new contract then?

A new contract that probably/might have came with a raise and likely a bigger payout if he does eventually get sacked.

I don't know but I think it was because it would not have contained his transfer veto. INEOS are apparently moving to a model where the head coach is not the be all and end all so ETH renegotiating in two years time is fine by them but him having a long term transfer veto is not. I don't doubt they want to sack him and would have done if there were another candidate who could offer some continuity on the things they value.

Not in the 15%, but last time this was up for discussion, many were concerned that there were no ideal replacements. Names like Southgate and Potter floating around, scared people.

That's the argument I see too, the suitable replacements supposedly aren't there (although Liverpool found Slot who already looks tactically superior to Ten Hag).

Also, giving him a chance to work with the new signings. I'd say Erik has til Christmas to turn things around, he'll have no excuses by then.

That's the argument I see too, the suitable replacements supposedly aren't there (although Liverpool found Slot who already looks tactically superior to Ten Hag).

Also, giving him a chance to work with the new signings. I'd say Erik has til Christmas to turn things around, he'll have no excuses by then.
I'm sure he'll have many.

So you can't name a single available manager who'll do a better job? Then why do you want him sacked immediately? By your own logic, there's nobody out there who will improve things.

The new regime fortunately can't be as short sighted as that with their approach.

I've made it clear that there are several managers I'd be happy if we replaced him with, that I think will do a better job, but they aren't available and wouldn't move mid season. So sacking now just for the sake of sacking him (as without any further plan, that's all it is) is completely irrational.
I never said there aren’t any available. I just said it is the DOF and the Board to get that to happen. How many thought Slot would start on a good note for Liverpool? Yet if we go by your logic, Liverpool should have just given up hope because their fans would not have been able to give a name better than Klopp and who was attainable.

Anyway we are going in circles with you asking inane questions on providing names as if I am holding discussions with them. I will let this be now.

If INEOS has decided this is a throwaway season and that they intend to sack ETH in May, so be it. But the price of doing so may be higher than they might think. Stating the obvious, it's critical for us to be competitive this season. If this were just the one dropoff season, like Liverpool had a few seasons ago, no big deal. But we've been more or less dogshit for a decade now, not once really being in the hunt for the PL trophy, and we've become a laughingstock.

INEOS should trust me on this one...you don't want to be a laughingstock.

I can’t believe how much money he’s been given to spend and how poorly his signings have turned out. Our squad is still midtable when it comes to talent.

Nothing to build on after he leaves. Every single position and area of the pitch needs improving. Next manager has to clear house once again and establish a new identity and style of play.

I'm beginning to come round to the idea that the players are not that bad. It's the way the manager sets the team up that is the problem. The manager is not good enough.

I'm beginning to come round to the idea that the players are not that bad. It's the way the manager sets the team up that is the problem. The manager is not good enough.
Absolutely. This isn’t a title winning squad but with a competent manager we could definitely be in the mix for top 4 and at least contend with the top 3. Remember Ole had a worse squad and came 2nd.

It's sad and frankly ridiculous we allowed ourselves to come into this season with him as manager.

We came fecking 8th with the goal difference and goals scored of a team that would be below mid table.

Where was the critical thinking when they decided to keep him. It's maddening because since they started the season with him they'll likely be very reluctant to sack him.

I'm sure they will sack him but not before giving him way too many chances to turn things around even though we all know that won't happen
Even a club like West Ham have higher standards of their manager than we do. They finished one place below us last season and won a trophy the season before last but because they had bigger ambitions, they parted ways with David Moyes.

We're an immeasurably bigger football club and the way some of our fans behave are as though we're minnows. I don't know what actually has to happen to this football club before the penny drops with some that this manager doesn't belong here. He must be the worst manager in the league pound for pound at this point.

Eriksen - Ajax
Martinez - Ajax
Antony - Ajax
Malacia - Dutch
Weighorst -Dutch
Onana - Ajax

Deligt - Ajax + Dutch
Zirkzee - Dutch

I loved Dutch people, but It's not a real reason to pick players for the biggest club in the world. He didn't manage to pick Rashi up, neither other good players, like scottM who performs batter under other managers, sold all English and Manchester born players , trashed Ole's singing (Harry, wan bisaka) to bring ajax legacy. Ridiculous. He should be replaced with management who UNDERSTANDS the United way and desire to win PL and and become the best team in the world. Not to be arsenal fa cup legends.

It’s sad when you get to a point when a win becomes a loss as it means Eric will stay on for yet another game. I don’t want to see us scrape through Southampton via a narrow victory and then wait for the inevitable thrashing when we face any half decent team again. Give me back some hope and joy!!!

It's sad that most fans have been here with ETH, Ole and Jose. It just shows how we aren't proactive in the slightest.

Anybody Liverpool found would’ve given us a game on Sunday, all he’s done is go in there keep those plates spinning. They were already a team capable of giving us a hiding. It’s a different job to coming into a club at their lowest ebb and transforming it from top to bottom.

Not saying Ten Hag doesn’t deserve criticism, just saying I’ve seen a few people getting misty eyed over Slot since Sunday so thought I’d point that out.

Ole never had a proper DM,or a Martinez (1st season)
Proper DM and CB addition to Ole's team of - Rashi Greenwood Cavani Martial Bruno Shaw WanBisk HarryM FredMct(as squad players) would have made them a top top squad. They played really well but we always failed on depth of squad and lack of proper 1st team DM (matic got old) maybe CM to partner Bruno and CB

It's sad that most fans have been here with ETH, Ole and Jose. It just shows how we aren't proactive in the slightest.

ETH is trying to do what I want and failing. That puts him above Jose (successfully doing what I didn't want) and the others (failing to do what I didn't want.)

Until I'm convinced he's failing because of his own flaws and not the clubs, I will support him. I think the success of Ugarte in transforming the team is probably the hill he lives or dies on.

Anybody Liverpool found would’ve given us a game on Sunday, all he’s done is go in there keep those plates spinning. They were already a team capable of giving us a hiding. It’s a different job to coming into a club at their lowest ebb and transforming it from top to bottom.

Not saying Ten Hag doesn’t deserve criticism, just saying I’ve seen a few people getting misty eyed over Slot since Sunday so thought I’d point that out.

Absolutely spot on about Slot. He was brought into a side that have had success, for continuity. If he lasts that long, let's see how he rebuilds.

Last edited:
How do we play... This.

The gap between attacking players and defence is huge, for any modern team.
How comes, the coaching staff still persist on this type of playing.

Shocking...

It’s far easier to get a team to play cohesive defensive football than it is to be cohesive while attacking the other team. Especially for a one off cup final where you know every player will be willing to track back as much as needed. We managed it it certain huge games under Ole, Mourinho, and early in ETH’s time as well.

Much tougher to coach that same level of team cohesion when trying to actually go toe to toe with teams in an even game, because effort becomes far less important than actual understanding of your teams shape and having IQ and composure on the ball. When you’re defending the box for 70% of the game you don’t really need that, just hoof it away and reset if needed.

I hear you, but surely the players would at least take something from that game – at least around tracking back. Maybe, as you say, they won't if they don't feel there's a plan.

How do we play... This.

The gap between attacking players and defence is huge, for any modern team.
How comes, the coaching staff still persist on this type of playing.

Shocking...

Even if any of them don’t want us to play like that, it’s literally their job to try and make what ETH wants work.

This system doesn’t work unless we have players with pinpoint passing accuracy and decision making in the final third. Each mistake is a give away for the opposition to counter against a few defenders and a weak midfield.

The system he’s trying to play is positive and what all fans expected from a tactical manager. But I think he’s stubborn in his way of thinking and style of play, which is okay, but not with the right set of players in key positions like CDM/ LW/ AM/ ST, that’s the image I’m getting right now.

Either we back him, and hope that these players suddenly transform into great decision makers, but I don’t see that happening any time soon.

I think we need a couple of months, analyze if he can gel this new team (with Ugarte maybe) that he made with his preferred players and go from there.

Can very well see Tuchel coming in after that if it doesn’t work out. We might not see the best attacking football, but that’s better than seeing games completely out of our hands with a couple bad decisions/passes on the pitch.

It shows bravery and belief to have the guile to play like this, but there’s a thin line between that and being impractical and foolish. He’s standing right on the edge of that line now.

Regarding the interview, it wasn't a ''vote of confidence'' after three games. That leads to misinformation and that is twisting the narrative. This was an interview BEFORE the Liverpool game. Questions were asked, and answers were given.

Take some things into consideration;

• INEOS first season
• Last season, everything was the Glazer's fault. This season narrative is changed to Ten Hag's responsibility
• There's elements United are playing better, the results don't show that, though
• 3 goals we conceded were down to terrible and amateur individual mistakes, nothing to do with tactics
• The Liverpool defeat - Slot didn't change anything, why is it a shock Liverpool bet us?

Also, remember the following;

• Two years ago we were humiliated by Brentford and Brighton in first two games, we went on to finish third in PL and two cup finals
• United is like a big ship, it needs to be steered when waves are high, and there was a lot of waves Ten Hag had to deal with

Have some calmness, we all share the same thing on here, our love for United. Let the new players fit in, give the manager space to breathe, let the injured players return. One thing fans are good at, every time a new game comes, the spirit is always there at OT. Just be chill, it's week 4 of the club after being completely restructured.

After all, Ten Hag is not Harry Potter :smirk:
Nothing to do with the tactics

Some of you seemingly don't know how today's football works. If for whatever reason Erik doesn't reach the standards given by the board and we need to move on, we need to find a manager with a similar mold whose tactical setup is highly based on the same type of players. It's not like we can do from LVG to Mourinho again - that's like night & day.

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/clubs/big_chance_missed

That's one particular stat that the people who want ETH sacked asap don't like. There are glaring mistakes in our play still, but a lot has improved from last season and we continue to work more and more on that.

The Big chances missed show that, we get the opportunities to score, but the players haven't finished them.

Some of you seemingly don't know how today's football works. If for whatever reason Erik doesn't reach the standards given by the board and we need to move on, we need to find a manager with a similar mold whose tactical setup is highly based on the same type of players. It's not like we can do from LVG to Mourinho again - that's like night & day.

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/clubs/big_chance_missed

That's one particular stat that the people who want ETH sacked asap don't like. There are glaring mistakes in our play still, but a lot has improved from last season and we continue to work more and more on that.

The Big chances missed show that, we get the opportunities to score, but the players haven't finished them.
Yup, sack the players and order a new XI on Amazon.

As I've said already, the INEOS model is different, and you keep throwing in transfers predating this. It's really not the "gotcha" moment you think it is.

Athletic (and skysports) and Ten Hag's own words that De Ligt was suggested to him and not the other way round definitely weights a feck ton more in terms of credibility compared to your "but he's dutch!".

Honestly it's such braindead logic. Zirkzee and Ten Hag didn't even overlap in careers for fecksake :lol:

Speaking of braindead logic why are laughing at something you've invented? When did I say their careers overlapped? :confused: :lol:

As I've said already, the INEOS model is different

Yeah of course it is.

Last edited:
I hear you, but surely the players would at least take something from that game – at least around tracking back. Maybe, as you say, they won't if they don't feel there's a plan.
I think we DO track back pretty well, but you’re going to be absolutely exhausted if you’re expect to press into the opposition box, then track back once they break said press, and THEN attack as quickly as possible in transition when we do finally regain possession. Doing all 3 is impossibly difficult for 90 minutes and it’s why by minute 70 the game turns into an end to end training session until someone scores finally.

I don't know but I think it was because it would not have contained his transfer veto. INEOS are apparently moving to a model where the head coach is not the be all and end all so ETH renegotiating in two years time is fine by them but him having a long term transfer veto is not. I don't doubt they want to sack him and would have done if there were another candidate who could offer some continuity on the things they value.

Yes and he didn't sign said contract, so that would mean he still has his transfer powers agreed with the previous regime then yes?