Erik ten Hag | 2024/25

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

• and crack

Results are only viewable after voting.
Our lack of control in games is absolutely infuriating.

Yeah and won't change until we appoint a manager who values possession, haven't had it since LVG, trouble was it led to no progressive play and games were very boring to watch

De Zerbi could have been drilling whatever he liked, just like Ten Hag is. The results are clear, he took a defensively sound team and made them awful at it. Every excuse you're making for De Zerbi applies for Ten Hag too, so if you're happy with running players into the ground, stubbornly refusing to change system despite awful results, and conceding loads of goals, then there's no reason to change, we've got all that in Ten Hag, just not to the same degree.

As for your final paragraph, it's a puerile attempt at bait. There's nothing "brave" about seeing things only in black or white. I've quite clearly changed my position from backing Ten Hag unreservedly, to being open to us replacing him. I just want us to replace him with someone that has CV that suggests they can improve us.

De zerbi didn't have the players in back up that we had - it's a simple fecking concept and you just flat out refuse to acknowledge it. Nobody talks about their injury issues, but they were a constant excuse for Ten Hag. You're trying to compare us to Brighton here - you honestly need to get a grip. They don't have Maguire, Eriksen, Amrabat, McTominay, Amad, Reguilon, Wan Bissaka, £80m Antony/Garnacho/Rashford sort of players waiting to come in when they have injuries. They had Lallana, James Milner etc.

Regarding the second paragraph, this proves my point.

'I want us to replace him with someone that has a CV that suggests they can improve us' > posters suggest numerous names, some proven as better coaches > Hilton says they're not good enough and that there is nobody good enough to replace a failing manager. Feck me, it's honestly like banging your head against a wall reading your nonsense.

I have nothing against the man personally. I don't know him, have never met him, so I don't know if he's the nicest man in the world or an utter cnut. And frankly I don't care.

Managers come out with stupid shit all the time, especially when results are going badly and they're under pressure, so I won't even hold that against him.

I judge him purely on the basis of the product on the pitch over the past 18 months now, which has been some of the worst football I've ever seen from a United team, along with disastrous results, pathetic goalscoring record and negative goal difference, and have come to the conclusion that he's not good enough for the job. Absolutely nothing personal, just football.

Can the 15% or so who still want to keep him articulate what specifically they've seen in our performances in that time that lead them to believe that Erik is still the best man for the job?

Arteta and Klopp in their 3rd full season were already showing improvement in their teams, yet we are going backwards. Why no striker who can score regularly wast bought in I don’t understand. You can buy all the defenders you want, but you need to score to win a game

Yeah it should have been priority after signing CB

I hate this feeling. Long international break and no hope. I wanted to cling to the signings and progress in personnel, but he has killed off the optimism so quickly.

It doesn’t matter what happens against Southampton, because another defeat (probably at Palace) is never far away with these stupid tactics.

Waking up and knowing it is just a waste of time now is so frustrating.

Newbies coming in here saying he's a cnut or unlikeable based on nothing. Has any player ever come out and said they hated working with him.

This is not even to excuse his shortcomings as a manager or to argue against his sacking.

This is just shit posting.

He is extremely unlikeable. Some of his comments last season were straight up gaslighting our entire fanbase. One in particular that stood out was when a journo asked what he thought about the backlash from fans, and he said that we just listen to the journalists and that's why. As though we couldn't possibly begin to understand what we're seeing for ourselves. I've seen it from day 1 with him, he's an arrogant tosspot that isn't as good as he believes.

And re players coming out and saying they hated working with him, it seems players are being professional about it as it's obvious he has fallen out with numerous already here. Others at Ajax apparently. The way he handled De Gea (according to journos, it was his doing) was atrocious. I'm sure, in private, many would have less favourable things to say about him.

This is the most useless fecking argument ever. If Ten Hag isn’t good enough, you sack him. Period. Keeping him here waiting for the perfect hire is madness.

Tuchel
Xavi
Potter
Allegri
Conte
Zidane

Before you discount all of these options, you don’t know and I don’t know. What we DO KNOW is Ten Hag is shit. feck me, Ruud could be better than Ten Hag, that’s how bad he has been.

No point in putting Zidane on list unless by some miracle INEOS could change his mind about managing in England. We might have more chance of luring Alonso than him.

I am still sweating over the fact that relegation gate hasn't got a job and like many have said he already has a relationship with Ashworth.

My shortlist would be

Alonso
Nagelsmann
Inzaghi
Tuchel
Xavi
Amorim
Gallardo
Allegri
Potter
Iraola

Last edited:
Last 15 prem games:

6 losses
5 wins
4 draws

That's fecking horrendous. fecking hell

He is extremely unlikeable. Some of his comments last season were straight up gaslighting our entire fanbase. One in particular that stood out was when a journo asked what he thought about the backlash from fans, and he said that we just listen to the journalists and that's why. As though we couldn't possibly begin to understand what we're seeing for ourselves. I've seen it from day 1 with him, he's an arrogant tosspot that isn't as good as he believes.

And re players coming out and saying they hated working with him, it seems players are being professional about it as it's obvious he has fallen out with numerous already here. Others at Ajax apparently. The way he handled De Gea (according to journos, it was his doing) was atrocious. I'm sure, in private, many would have less favourable things to say about him.

Perfectly summed up.

The way he acts in press conferences and the way he answers question in interviews can easily be considered unlikeable by people. I don't find him likeable and never had.
Oh, I would never suggest that he seems like a likeable dude in public. But I have not yet read about any of his ex-players that they disliked him as a coach or on a personal level, and last year's fall-outs (hazy as they are) seem to have been more about tactics and line-ups. You also can't say players aren't putting an effort in (even if it's up and down). So unless there stuff I'm missing, I do think people claiming that Ten Hag must be terrible to work with etc. are just making that up.

And it's not like that's needed, there's plenty to criticize him for without resorting to these arguments.

Can the 15% or so who still want to keep him articulate what specifically they've seen in our performances in that time that lead them to believe that Erik is still the best man for the job?
Not in the 15%, but last time this was up for discussion, many were concerned that there were no ideal replacements. Names like Southgate and Potter floating around, scared people.

Nagelsmann
Iraola
Marco Rose

There three names I would take over Ten Hag right now and all probably gettable. That's without mentioning the most obvious option being Tuchel.
I am pretty sure Nagelsmann is not gettable, being a Germany NT coach.

Varane had issues with him too no? That's why he was benched for a while.
He had issues with him last season so did Casemiro but it was about tactics and football nothing personal.

horechoker is right, people are making out like he's horrible to play under and the players can't stand him when we've seen no evidence of this. You can see the reaction after the FA Cup final and how happy the squad were for him when we won. They wouldn't be acting like that if the majority hated him.

I am pretty sure Nagelsmann is not gettable, being a Germany NT coach.
There is the potentially soul crushing Allegri who is definitely a better manager on paper.

Last 15 prem games:

6 losses
5 wins
4 draws

That's fecking horrendous. fecking hell

You should see our Away form since he joined. :lol:

There's really nothing good in any of his league form. His best way was the Arsenal 3:1 at Old Trafford on the 4th September 2022, his 5th League game in charge. We also managed to beat Tottenham shortly after and City in January 2023. Those are his three stand out wins.

His next best win was probably Villa last season in Feb, we won 2-1 away. Then probably West Ham at home 3:0 in the same month. After that you're struggling to find good wins, maybe Newcastle in May last season 3:2? Or Villa in Apri 2023 when we won 1:0. After that you're going down to winning against the likes of Fulham/Brentford etc

Don't believe the players hate him narrative. Most players seem to like him. ETH, if he gets fired, will be for his tactics and results.

No. You sack the manager if you have a better option. What's the point of sacking if you just leave it to someone crap?
Come on man inaction is sometimes worse than action. At least if you change something up things could improve. Did anyone think Ole was going the impact he did during that half a season? Expecting things to change without changing a thing is the definition of insanity and keep ETH and hoping for things to change is definitely insanity.

He had issues with him last season so did Casemiro but it was about tactics and football nothing personal.

horechoker is right, people are making out like he's horrible to play under and the players can't stand him when we've seen no evidence of this. You can see the reaction after the FA Cup final and how happy the squad were for him when we won. They wouldn't be acting like that if the majority hated him.
Who is making out like he's horrible to play under? Is it because of the Casemiro stuff recently? He has never lost the dressing room so far, that's why he's still here, though I do feel he's come close a few times last season.

It's insane. You have a number of PL managers who are performing far better than him with far less resources, weaker teams, very little money to spend, playing much better football and improving their teams, yet apparently nobody in the entire world could deliver 8th place for Man Utd.
It's reason enough to believe that if you are Ten Hag in at this point then you are either an oppo fan, paid to defend him or have a weird masochistic crush on him.

I hate this feeling. Long international break and no hope. I wanted to cling to the signings and progress in personnel, but he has killed off the optimism so quickly.

It doesn’t matter what happens against Southampton, because another defeat (probably at Palace) is never far away with these stupid tactics.

Waking up and knowing it is just a waste of time now is so frustrating.
Thank god there is an International break
Else we old be losing again, and your weekend would get worse ..

Thank god there is an International break
Else we old be losing again, and your weekend would get worse ..
I don't think its a good thing. Media will constantly be talking about him and United as they have no news to generate enough clicks. So they would come up with news creation and its often shit stirring about something wrong at United.

Fans will be losing their shit over all these media reports.

That's because he wouldn't agree to signing a new contract and the club just extended his current deal instead. He still has all the powers that he had before Ineos arrived and while he does he is the one driving trasnfers not Ineos. You said it yourself of the 5 players we signed with one he didn't identify, they had to put a lot of effort into convincing him not to veto the deal. Where as with the 3 Dutch born and raised players, they were obviously identified by Ten Hag. So currently he's still the one driving recruitment.
I don't believe that. He's clearly close to getting sacked so he'd be stupid to work against the wishes of the new management structure unless he actually wants to lose his job.

You should see our Away form since he joined. :lol:

There's really nothing good in any of his league form. His best way was the Arsenal 3:1 at Old Trafford on the 4th September 2022, his 5th League game in charge. We also managed to beat Tottenham shortly after and City in January 2023. Those are his three stand out wins.

His next best win was probably Villa last season in Feb, we won 2-1 away. Then probably West Ham at home 3:0 in the same month. After that you're struggling to find good wins, maybe Newcastle in May last season 3:2? Or Villa in Apri 2023 when we won 1:0. After that you're going down to winning against the likes of Fulham/Brentford etc

That 2-1 win at Villa was a total fluke, Watkins should have had 2-3 goals himself and if that game ended 4-1 to then we wouldn’t have been able to complain. They were all over us.

West Ham 3-0 flattered us too. They were very poor on the day but still had great chances at 1-0, then we killed the game with the second goal. They were amidst an absolutely horrific run at the time and were thrashed 6-0 by Arsenal at home the following week.

We don’t really have many good wins under him. Chelsea at home last season and Spurs the year before are the highlights, and even then that Chelsea game still had 2-3 opportunities for them to take the lead.

It's reason enough to believe that if you are Ten Hag in at this point then you are either an oppo fan, paid to defend him or have a weird masochistic crush on him.
I think it’s a very simple defense mechanism where once you’ve invested so much of your time and energy into promoting a certain idea (in this case the idea is that ETH is class and the best man for the job) then it’s hard to give up on that, and the longer you persist the harder it gets. There are certain individuals who won’t change their minds about him even if we had 5 seasons like that last one.

I am probably in a similar zone these days as well, albeit at an opposite side of spectrum. It would take A LOT for me to turn around and accept him as the best option available. Even if we were to somehow go on a run now and delivered a heroic 5th or 6th place finish against all odds, I would not change my view of him much as it will still feel like we are 1 injury / transfer away from being absolutely abysmal. He’s brought us to such lows that I will always have a degree of anxiety about our games as long as he’s here, he just doesn’t give me a slightest amount of confidence. I could literally see us drop points to Southampton very easily in our next game, and would not at all be shocked to see us ship 4 to Spurs at OT later this month (which I fully expect to be the first game ever we lose when I attend).

That 2-1 win at Villa was a total fluke, Watkins should have had 2-3 goals himself and if that game ended 4-1 to then we wouldn’t have been able to complain. They were all over us.

West Ham 3-0 flattered us too. They were very poor on the day but still had great chances at 1-0, then we killed the game with the second goal. They were amidst an absolutely horrific run at the time and were thrashed 6-0 by Arsenal at home the following week.

We don’t really have many good wins under him. Chelsea at home last season and Spurs the year before are the highlights, and even then that Chelsea game still had 2-3 opportunities for them to take the lead.

Chelsea were shite last season when we played them. They bounced back later in the season but were dreadful that first half. I wouldn't say that was a good win at all and it only be a 1 goal margin! They were 10th when we played them.

This is the mad thing though, we're over 2 seasons in, 77 games played, there's 3 wins that are rock solid wins and they were all within the first half of season he started. You could argue the wins of Liverpool/Arsenal and Tottenham (all in the first 10 games he managed) were due to new Manager bounce.

It's basically the City win outside of the New Manager bounce window and a few Villa results.

It’s sad when you get to a point when a win becomes a loss as it means Eric will stay on for yet another game. I don’t want to see us scrape through Southampton via a narrow victory and then wait for the inevitable thrashing when we face any half decent team again. Give me back some hope and joy!!!

I think it’s a very simple defense mechanism where once you’ve invested so much of your time and energy into promoting a certain idea (in this case the idea is that ETH is class and the best man for the job) then it’s hard to give up on that, and the longer you persist the harder it gets. There are certain individuals who won’t change their minds about him even if we had 5 seasons like that last one.

I am probably in a similar zone these days as well, albeit at an opposite side of spectrum. It would take A LOT for me to turn around and accept him as the best option available. Even if we were to somehow go on a run now and delivered a heroic 5th or 6th place finish against all odds, I would not change my view of him much.

Definitely not the best option available

It’s sad when you get to a point when a win becomes a loss as it means Eric will stay on for yet another game. I don’t want to see us scrape through Southampton via a narrow victory and then wait for the inevitable thrashing when we face any half decent team again. Give me back some hope and joy!!!

I couldn't have put it any better

No. You sack the manager if you have a better option. What's the point of sacking if you just leave it to someone crap?
Reasons to sack him, even if you think you “don’t have a better option”;
1. The option you think isn’t better actually is.
2. There are many many more accomplished and available managers.
3. If the players don’t see the tactics and preparation working, they lose morale and confidence.
4. Typically, if you are going the wrong direction, you change course, even if it means you go out of your way a bit to get where you are going.

The club’s ultimate goal is to win the PL again. We will never do that under Ten Hag. There is no sense in keeping him.

My biggest issue is that he is so adverse to changing his tactics when needed. Under as much pressure as he is, you would think he'd be a little more pragmatic and try to grind out some 1-0 results just to get points on the board playing with a little more defense in mind. While we're not giving up 20 shots a game, the game plan still seems to be the same, regardless of opponent, regardless of situation.

So unless there stuff I'm missing, I do think people claiming that Ten Hag must be terrible to work with etc. are just making that up.

Since when did giving an opinion been considered making things up, though?