Erik ten Hag | 2024/25

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

• and crack

Results are only viewable after voting.
Newbies coming in here saying he's a cnut or unlikeable based on nothing. Has any player ever come out and said they hated working with him.

This is not even to excuse his shortcomings as a manager or to argue against his sacking.

This is just shit posting.

He comes across as utterly dislikeable.

We win? It’s because we stuck to his plan. Lose? It’s down to individuals errors. I’ve never known a manager to absolve themselves of so much blame, especially in the face of so much evidence.

I’m not surprised the players are fed up to the back teeth of playing under him. Imagine being told to play the same kamikaze tactics week in week out, and the grief you’re about to take when it all inevitably goes tits up!
He is a smug cnut with a dry personality. Would be an absolute pain to work with.

Newbies coming in here saying he's a cnut or unlikeable based on nothing. Has any player ever come out and said they hated working with him.

This is not even to excuse his shortcomings as a manager or to argue against his sacking.

He is very unlikeable in his recent press videos in my opinion.

Our last caretaker didn’t leave us with egos. He did not get any new player and the ones he already had have proven to be yet again not good enough, thus having the need for a squad clear out. On the other hand, Eth has actively burdened us with buys of his who were exorbitant and cannot be shifted despite being absolutely woeful for us.

I cannot give you a single name, because I do not have the experience or the vast network which Ashworth has to do his job. You keep asking for names as if it’s the job of the fans to suggest alternatives. It absolutely is not. However fans see what is served each week and know when it is not good enough. Yet you keep asking for alternatives as if the posters on here are equipped to provide you that.

It is not a question of who can I get as better but rather a question of ‘is keeping Eth going to improve us?’ If the answer is not yes, it is the job of the DOF and the Board to find the right guy.

You or I are not making a decision on who should replace him. It’s a discussion on a forum regarding whether he is good enough for Manchester United. Why don’t you let me know your thoughts on that instead of asking inane questions about giving you a replacement name as if you are the hiring committee.

So you can't name a single available manager who'll do a better job? Then why do you want him sacked immediately? By your own logic, there's nobody out there who will improve things.

The new regime fortunately can't be as short sighted as that with their approach.

I've made it clear that there are several managers I'd be happy if we replaced him with, that I think will do a better job, but they aren't available and wouldn't move mid season. So sacking now just for the sake of sacking him (as without any further plan, that's all it is) is completely irrational.

Was listening to off the ball this morning and they made the point that Ten Hag is now widely ridiculed as Man Utd manager and there is never ever any coming back from that, unless it's at another club. They made the comparison of Emery at Arsenal to Aston Villa.

He is very unlikable in his recent reviews in my opinion.
He's unlikeable because he's doing shit and probably getting defensive. It's what most people do.

This is a man most people here haven't even met. There's plenty to criticise him about before we make it personal.

Is it difficult to be objective without trashing Erik’s character?

Find it remarkable how many of you project traits on him that you can’t possibly validate, on the basis that the team isn’t doing particularly well.

Unbelievable Jeff

He's unlikeable because he's doing shit and probably getting defensive. It's what most people do.

This is a man most people here haven't even met. There's plenty to criticise him about before we make it personal.
Same thing happened to Ole on here.

Haven't met you either...;)

He seems to be taking his criticisms badly.

I mean it was a comment based on his press conference demeanour/behaviour.

Not sure why you are getting so touchy.

No. You sack the manager if you have a better option. What's the point of sacking if you just leave it to someone crap?
Nagelsmann
Iraola
Marco Rose

There three names I would take over Ten Hag right now and all probably gettable. That's without mentioning the most obvious option being Tuchel.

The way he acts in press conferences and the way he answers question in interviews can easily be considered unlikeable by people. I don't find him likeable and never had.

Provide me a source that says he wasn't drilling any defensive tactics? He played a high pressing game, went man to man both high up the pitch and in the defensive third. The changes were blatantly clear from the off. And I'm not saying he was better or worse than Potter, as I rated his work there too, but it was completely different. Potter was more cautious, liked his team to recycle the ball more and play the odds better with their passing. He also would often use 3/5 at the back.

De Zerbi played a high risk game but something much more in line with what other top coaches are doing. This high risk (drawing the press) became their undoing more when they had key players missing or sold, and the level of ability in his team dropped. He came in and unlocked Brighton in attack, and I believe with better players his football could be very good. The praise he had from the likes of Klopp and Pep is a testament to his football. But I don't look at it black and white like you. I saw a brand of football that could be something special with a better squad of players. You really, really want to ignore the injuries to try to make a daft point about his defensive issues being down to the players seemingly forgetting how to defend because of him, but you simply can't be taken seriously if you won't acknowledge it.

I'd have loved to have seen what you would have said about Jurgen Klopp after his spell at Mainz. Dortmund saw the potential and the rest was history. Even after he got them relegated and failed to get them promoted. Football isn't black and white, and sometimes managers have good ideas that are held back by players (or injuries and sale of key players, in this case). When he had his team with less injuries, he took them into Europe for the first time in their history. Everybody knew they would struggle the following season due to their depth, or lack of, but seemingly not you. This was only compounded by injury right across the team.

Besides, the story at the moment is that we did look at him but the money was an issue. So hopefully Ineos are able to recognise potential. It is seemingly beyond you, given you keep asking us to name a suitable replacement for a poor coach, and then find fault with every option. Even though there's coaches available, who are proven to be better than Ten Hag (eg Tuchel). You hide behind this facade of saying you'd be open to replacing him with the right option, but really you're just not as brave a certain other posters who are clear in their support of Ten Hag. Which I believe is actually the motivation behind your deluded posts, as you've kept this nonsense up throughout this shit show that has been the last 12 months.

De Zerbi could have been drilling whatever he liked, just like Ten Hag is. The results are clear, he took a defensively sound team and made them awful at it. Every excuse you're making for De Zerbi applies for Ten Hag too, so if you're happy with running players into the ground, stubbornly refusing to change system despite awful results, and conceding loads of goals, then there's no reason to change, we've got all that in Ten Hag, just not to the same degree.

As for your final paragraph, it's a puerile attempt at bait. There's nothing "brave" about seeing things only in black or white. I've quite clearly changed my position from backing Ten Hag unreservedly, to being open to us replacing him. I just want us to replace him with someone that has CV that suggests they can improve us.

>Make a dickhead post
>Get called out for making a dickhead post
>"why are you so touchy?"

Nothing he said is untrue. I haven't actually tuned into any of his post match interviews for months now. They're both stripped of any sort of personality, and devoid of any responsibility for what's happening on the pitch. Probably the most uncharacteristic manager we've had post SAF and I actually include Moyes in that.

It doesn't inspire, he needs to grow it down to his chest

Exactly, and now people are missing him. People take football staff doing poorly in their jobs as a personal affront.
If ETH was doing a good job we wouldn’t be missing Ole.

We’ll be back to 50:50 after we sneak past Southampton

For me, it's not the even the games that are making this a set conclusion. It's the arrogance. The use of trophies to gaslight everyone. The defensiveness. The need to shut down any criticism towards him. That's what's really putting me off.
As he said, he’s not Harry Potter! A measly 600m and complete overhaul of the squad, a new coaching staff. Follow the plan!

Nothing he said is untrue. I haven't actually turned into any of his post match interviews for months now. They're both stripped of any sort of personality, and devoid of any responsibility for what's happening on the pitch. Probably the most uncharacteristic manager we've had post SAF and I actually include Moyes in that.
Is he a smug cnut?

Is he a pain to work with?

The first is a personal opinion, the second I don't have much evidence to go on. The only player I know to have big problems with him is Sancho.

My defence of him is not to say he shouldn't be sacked. In fact I voted to sack him in the poll. I don't think he can turn it around now, however I don't have a personal vendetta against him.

Is he a smug cnut?

The first is a personal opinion, the second I don't have much evidence to go on. The only player I know to have big problems with him is Sancho.

My defence of him is not to say he shouldn't be sacked. In fact I voted to sack him in the poll. I don't think he can turn it around now, however I don't have a personal vendetta against him.

Varane had issues with him too no? That's why he was benched for a while.

No. You sack the manager if you have a better option. What's the point of sacking if you just leave it to someone crap?

It's the job of the upper management/sporting hierarchy to find the better manager. And of course we both know they exist. Like imagine if Crystal Palace stuck with Vieira and didn't get Glassner ( even if he ultimately turns out not great) or how Brighton went from RDZ to this young guy etc etc or Liverpool from Klopp to Slot..(now it's early days for everyone to judge them already but they are all making a difference with their coaching and style of play changes)

Anyway it doesn't matter if he's likeable. It matters if he's competent. Less than 50% win rate in 55 games is not competent. No matter who attempts to deflect it, it's a terrible record for a club with our aspirations.

Varane had issues with him too no? That's why he was benched for a while.
Nothing long term then. It's not like Pep or Fergie had long term issues with players.

Roy Keane practically criticises Fergie on a weekly basis on the overlap.

I'm one of those who has switched to 'get rid ASAP' from previously being ten hag in. I had my reservations after last season, but I felt. morally (if not ruthless and logically), the cup final win bought him one last shot at it. The pre-season was another money-making piss take and this didn't help, as did the summer tournaments and injuries (although many other clubs had the same things to deal with and dealt with them better).

Fulham game, I did see some very small signs of a better way of playing (low bar here but still), and we, for once, didn't look like conceding any time Fulham had the ball and should've won by 3 or 4 in the end (usual crap finishing though...)

Brighton - yeah... that's when it began to revert to last season 2.0 and Sunday showed this is more likely how it will be going forward.. still... after 2 full seasons. I guess the tipping point for me lies on the answer to the following question - If ten hag is given at least until xmas, how likely is it that it suddenly clicks and becomes good (and by good I just mean we might put a run of 6-8 games together without a defeat and play some half-decent football) in that time?

Even with such a low bar set, I am not convinced there is any chance this happens, let alone we actually look like a side who can get top 4 and finishs with a minimum +25 - 30GD

In summary - he needs to go ASAP as I think <5% chance we are any better than 7 points from the next 6 games

I am in the same group. Pretty similar line of thinking. Extremely disappointed with the 2nd half against Brighton and this non performance against Liverpool.

Anyway it doesn't matter if he's likeable. It matters if he's competent. Less than 50% win rate in 55 games is not competent. No matter who attempts to deflect it, it's a terrible record for a club with our aspirations.
Which are facts.

Was listening to off the ball this morning and they made the point that Ten Hag is now widely ridiculed as Man Utd manager and there is never ever any coming back from that, unless it's at another club. They made the comparison of Emery at Arsenal to Aston Villa.
Correct. He is getting mocked as he never accepts any blame despite the obvious tactical flaw on Sunday.

The champions league group stage was the worst ever in Utd’s history despite 2 poor teams in the group and Bayern being sub par.

Away fans chanting his name has become the norm.

You can’t embark on a 100k state of the art stadium if you are serving up this drivel.

Looks like Omar and Dan were not fully in favor. Good to read. Hoping the start to the season has the writing on the wall.

Without a doubt they weren't and Erik is fecked off with them over McTominay being sold, can definitely see a clash before long

I don't even think they've been that bad. Apart from Antony, I'm pretty sure most managers would love to work with every other ex-Ajax player he signed: Onana, Mazraoui, Martínez, de Ligt. These players are all perfectly compatible with playing a modern, possession-based, high line, high pressing type of football, which most top managers' philosophies heavily revolve around anyway.

Exactly.

Also at some point the manager has to show he can coach and make the sum of the parts greater than the individuals. Which he did in his first season tbf to him. But it's gotten worse since then. We are currently much worse as a team than the individuals.

So you can't name a single available manager who'll do a better job? Then why do you want him sacked immediately? By your own logic, there's nobody out there who will improve things.

The new regime fortunately can't be as short sighted as that with their approach.

I've made it clear that there are several managers I'd be happy if we replaced him with, that I think will do a better job, but they aren't available and wouldn't move mid season. So sacking now just for the sake of sacking him (as without any further plan, that's all it is) is completely irrational.
This is the most useless fecking argument ever. If Ten Hag isn’t good enough, you sack him. Period. Keeping him here waiting for the perfect hire is madness.

Tuchel
Xavi
Potter
Allegri
Conte
Zidane

Before you discount all of these options, you don’t know and I don’t know. What we DO KNOW is Ten Hag is shit. feck me, Ruud could be better than Ten Hag, that’s how bad he has been.

We are not talking for replacing SAF or Guardiola here. We are talking about replacing an awful manager.

I would take almost every manager in the league ahead of him, that's how low the bar of replacing him is.

Erik is fecked off with them over McTominay being sold

Mctominay wanted out/first team minutes:

0feb484475726a5818dcfb2c4aebfd2a1364c6f2.pnj

in the same article Ashworth reiterates Mctominay wanted to explore the Napoli opportunity.

Is he a smug cnut?

Was mainly referring to the first post you quoted, don't think the poster said anything that wasn't untrue regarding his demeanor in interviews. Personal attacks though, yeah it's unnecessary.

Has any player ever come out and said they hated working with him.

I don't recall it being stated explicitly by anyone (it hardly ever is), but he has reportedly/seemingly fallen out with a few players

Even Amad who comes across as a meek guy was ready to crash out at one point last season IIRC

In all likelihood this happens regularly with other managers too, but with Ten Hag things seem to sour quick. On the other hand, the ones that like him seem to like him a lot. Even with us being largely shit under him, I can't really say the players don't try for him