Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
Liverpool objectively have a far better squad than us that’s largely been settled for years under Klopp, with 3-4 world class players and no real weaknesses in any position.

I’m as much for “ten Hag has done an awful job” as anyone but it’s a pointless comparison.

Less pointless than all the ETH stans trying to favourably compare him to Klopp and Arteta only a few months ago.

The game hasn't even changed, in all eras managers staying beyond 4 or 5 seasons is a rarity. People base that view on the exceptions, not the norm.

Edit: Also longevity is the product of success not the other way around, it's an other fallacy that people follow when it comes to United.

Yep large sections of the United fanbase can't think about managers outside of the context of appointing the next Fergie.

Rene brilliantly exposing ten Hag.

Stephen Howson watching Rene :
GHnlgWrWwAAWdby

A massive fraud of a manager. Conned all gullible folks including the new management into thinking injuries were the reason we were dreadful last year when the evidence was clear in how we were setup tactically.

Correct. The club is like Liverpool was in the 90's - too much looking backwards and a lot of fans still take that view.

The idea that you keep a failing manager on because you can't guarantee that the next man in will be an unmitigated success is insane.

There are, at any time, numerous managers who could be the next elite managers, and one or two of them will be. A well run footballing structure (which we now have - "best in class" supposedly), should be able to identify them. It's no different from picking ETH from Ajax. Obviously there are no guarantees the man picked will succeed. If he doesn't, you move him on. The game has changed and managers will rarely stay on for a decade anymore. Stability comes from structure around the club - not the manager. Well run clubs can change a manager every few years and still succeed.
Put this guy on the United board! Well said.

Ive always been on the side of backing ETH this season.

But now i'm starting to think he's a huge fraud and i fell for it.

Still cannot fathom the Rashford half time sub, the managers ego might be worse than i thought tbh.

Add me to the ETH apologist group.

I still hope he turns things around just so it validates my previous nonsense on the subject.

Damn, I knew this is what has been going on with some fans. It's easier to hold your hands up and just admit you were wrong, no shame in it. I think we've all been there with different players and managers over the years. You'll just feel a bigger idiot if you double down on it when you know you've been wrong on this one.

The good news is, as somebody that realised this guy was a problem a while ago, once you come around to that way of thinking, you will realise that our squad actually isn't that bad. There's plenty to work with and, if we get our next appointment right, I think everyone will come around to that way of thinking a bit. I'm not saying title challengers yet, but I think this squad of players can do a lot better than it has been doing.

Last edited:
A massive fraud of a manager. Conned all gullible folks including the new management into thinking injuries were the reason we were dreadful last year when the evidence was clear in how we were setup tactically.

It's unfair to put that on ETH, he isn't responsible for other people's terrible judgement.

As it stands, we are 19th in goal scored with a prolific score of 5. Winning seems a wishful thinking, need to start knocking in some goals first.

Liverpool objectively have a far better squad than us that’s largely been settled for years under Klopp, with 3-4 world class players and no real weaknesses in any position.

I’m as much for “ten Hag has done an awful job” as anyone but it’s a pointless comparison.

I would argue that if we had those 4 world-class players that Liverpool have, they'd turn to crap within 3 months of joining us and if playing for our club, nobody would suggest they are world class.
I have seen virtually all our players arrive with great promise, drive, ability, skill, etc. They have a few good games then they get affected by our club and turn to crap.
Bruno F resisted turning to crap the longest. He was great for 18 months. After this, he too, turned to crap.

The coaching falls on the shoulders of ETH. He needs to hire/fire coaches who maintain or improve the skill level of the players. If the coaches aren't good enough, ETH must remove them and bring in people who are good enough.
The other issue is that he is focused on buying Dutch players or players who played in the Dutch league. Generally speaking, those players aren't good enough for the EPL and resulted in us finishing in 8th place last season.

I realise that there are some ETH fans in here, but you need to acknowledge that finishing in 8th place last season would be more than enough to see him fired by a competent MUFC Board.
Seeing us currently in 14th place should wake up the MUFC Board.
14th place is simply unacceptable and any top 6 club would've fired ETH by now.

From top to bottom, our club is riddled with incompetent people and the sad part is, I think we are getting worse.

I would argue that if we had those 4 world-class players that Liverpool have, they'd turn to crap within 3 months of joining us and if playing for our club, nobody would suggest they are world class.
I have seen virtually all our players arrive with great promise, drive, ability, skill, etc. They have a few good games then they get affected by our club and turn to crap.
Bruno F resisted turning to crap the longest. He was great for 18 months. After this, he too, turned to crap.

The coaching falls on the shoulders of ETH. He needs to hire/fire coaches who maintain or improve the skill level of the players. If the coaches aren't good enough, ETH must remove them and bring in people who are good enough.
The other issue is that he is focused on buying Dutch players or players who played in the Dutch league. Generally speaking, those players aren't good enough for the EPL and resulted in us finishing in 8th place last season.

I realise that there are some ETH fans in here, but you need to acknowledge that finishing in 8th place last season would be more than enough to see him fired by a competent MUFC Board.
Seeing us currently in 14th place should wake up the MUFC Board.
14th place is simply unacceptable and any top 6 club would've fired ETH by now.

From top to bottom, our club is riddled with incompetent people and the sad part is, I think we are getting worse.
You’re arguing with the wrong person. EtH has been a disaster and I want him gone. Comparing his situation here with Slott’s at Liverpool however is pointless.

Surely the Villa game would be his last. There is no plausible reason for him to continue and I strongly suspect INEOS are already planning ahead.

Furthering my point about the difference between pre and post League Cup Final, see below.

Games​
W​
D​
L​
W%​
D%​
L%​
GF​
GA​
GD​
Games After League Cup Final​
83​
41​
13​
29​
49.40%​
15.66%​
34.94%​
133​
122​
+11​
Games Before (Including LCF)​
41​
30​
5​
6​
73.17%​
12.20%​
14.63%​
80​
39​
+41​
I think what happened is that when ETH first came here he tried playing like he does right now and we got taken apart immediately vs Brighton and Brentford.

At the time he thought he didn't have the team for it so he reverted to a more compact, counter attacking style of play.

The league cup clearly has increased his confidence so he decided to ditch the "Ole Ball" tactics and switch to the ones which we are more familiar. That 7-0 against Liverpool should have told him that playing like we currently do is suicide, but since our manager is a stubborn old mule, he decided to persist with his tactics despite all the evidence showing him that this is a disaster waiting to happen.

He had the chance to ditch them at the start of last season, but instead he doubled down. He won another trophy and had an injury crisis. So naturally he assumed that the tactics are working. The man is as stubborn as they come. And it shows.

Monday morning should be when he’s sacked. Or maybe Sunday night since the games at 2pm. However I read something the other day that said the higher ups are having a meeting on Tuesday?

Fairly likely we'll be sitting in 14th tomorrow, 9 points off the CL spots and 4 points off the bottom 3.

Those trophies were quite fecking literally poisoned chalices.

I'm not sure I am mate we're discussing replacing Ten Hag that isn't nearly as difficult as replacing Alex Ferguson. No one is saying just get anybody in but going out and getting the best available circa October 2024 is probably going to be an improvement on what we currently have which let's be honest is awful. Ten Hag is a good manager but he's obviously a bad fit for the Premier League and Manchester United. Some managers have teams punching above the talent available to them. Ten Hag over the last 18 months has us punching below our weight, virtually in relelgation form. We can't allow that to continue just because there isn't an ideal/good candidate available currently. You never know how someone will perform until they're actually in the job so I'm not sure there's even such a thing as an ideal candidate. Pretty much every managerial appointment is a roll of the dice.

We're rolling too many dice as it stands. Unless it's a vastly better candidate it's a massive risk. New players, new owners, new coaches and new CEO. Add a new manager in and the whole thing could derail spectacularly.

Every single candidate is ‘potentially’ worse because we can’t see in to the future. But they are also potentially better. The only thing we know for sure is that Ten Hag is not good enough and it should not be beyond Ineos to find someone that has a good chance of getting us playing better.
No, not every candidate is potentially better. That's absurd.

Fairly likely we'll be sitting in 14th tomorrow, 9 points off the CL spots and 4 points off the bottom 3.

Those trophies were quite fecking literally poisoned chalices.
At least we're a point ahead of newly promoted Leicester. Some on here would be happy watching this all season if we fluked a cup at the end again.

Xg last season had us around 15th. Not that much of a surprise that's where we're hovering with the same manager and no real upgrades to the starting XI.

Last edited:
Villa, Brentford, Fenerbahce away, West Ham Away. Next four. Not one of those games can I confidently say we will win. Very possible we may be on the edge of the relegation zone by November or maybe even before then. Amazing.

We're rolling too many dice as it stands. Unless it's a vastly better candidate it's a massive risk. New players, new owners, new coaches and new CEO. Add a new manager in and the whole thing could derail spectacularly.
What do you mean by “could derail spectacularly”? Unless you are fearful of relegation, then I’d say the train has already come off the tracks and rolled down the ravine beyond hope of salvaging.

If the club can’t get a top class replacement, then appointing an interim seems to me a better option that keeping on a manager who has been floundering for over 12 months.

No, not every candidate is potentially better. That's absurd.
We're talking about a manager who has literally got Man Utd barely above relegation form and has had us playing terribly for almost 18 months now. It's not that absurd.

Of course, being 'potentially' better isn't a 100% guarantee and I'm sure that if we tried 100 different managers there would be a few that would somehow do even worse. But there would be far more successes than failures, even if most of those successes themselves won't be good enough long term.

It’s derailed already because the manager is out of his depth and has undermined himself by performing so poorly. The roll of the dice was not sacking him in the summer and it’s the same now. The sensible and rational decision is to sack him and try to salvage the season, the bar is set pretty low for improvement.

This implies that the whole thing has not already spectacularly derailed. We're 14th in the league table with nearly a quarter of the season gone.

Thinking back to the last time we went in to a game with rumours that Ten Hag would be sacked regardless of the result. Bodes well for a defiant display tomorrow.