Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't blame if he walked from this utter shambles that is these money sucking owners.

Where is this talk of ETH resigning coming from? Seen quite a few tweets about it and comments on here.

He absolutely shouldn't put up with being hung out to dry by the owners but it feels a bit hyperbolic and unfounded to be discussing it at this stage.

The job is a step-up for him and he's the fortunate one to be employed by United, not the other way around. This weird undercurrent of insecurity that's been around since he first signed (people saying he'll walk bla bla bla) as if United are somehow in the weaker position in this relationship and are lucky to have the mighty ETH in their employ is very strange.

This.

When has a manager ever walked away from a club when it wasn't on the back of unprecedented success and they wanted a break? Zizou and Pep are the only two I can think of; and they didn't walk because the club had made no signings by 20th of June.

Where is this talk of ETH resigning coming from? Seen quite a few tweets about it and comments on here.

He absolutely shouldn't put up with being hung out to dry by the owners but it feels a bit hyperbolic and unfounded to be discussing it at this stage.
Posters making things up and then panicking about made up scenarios. It's a bit funny honestly.

Feel for him really.

He will feel the pressure all this summer. Will see his rivals strenghening and he will only have a team to compete for EL next season.

He's a top coach, very good leader but has poor management ahead of him

He’s gonna be fuming if the players return to pre season and there’s no new faces through the door.

The job is a step-up for him and he's the fortunate one to be employed by United, not the other way around. This weird undercurrent of insecurity that's been around since he first signed (people saying he'll walk bla bla bla) as if United are somehow in the weaker position in this relationship and are lucky to have the mighty ETH in their employ is very strange.
It comes from the logic of if we were to lose him, he'd probably go on to Bayern/Madrid/Barcelona/PSG or if he didn't have the United association would be on the list as a Pep successor.

United is a giant club, but we've also been a disaster club for most of a decade. We need him more than he needs us at the moment. If he goes, we likely go back to mediocrity that we've been the past 10 years while he goes to another top team in the CL with CL winning aspirations (maybe not instantly given managerial plans have already happened, but within the year).

Hard to see him as United manager at the start of the next season at this rate.

I somewhat agree with this.

We had a semi decent season and Ten Hag has fans credit because how he done this season given the constraints and how we were last season.

Since we appointed him, alot has changed, Chelsea are spending big, City dominant, Arsenal spending big, Newcastle are coming and Liverpool will be back.

We cannot go into this season with so many holes in our team. GK, RB, CM, RW, ST are glaring holes in our team. Most of the above squads have the players to compete.

The way things are going, transfer activity looking bleak due to takeover which may not be done in time for the new season, we will panic buy players that in a year will not be needed.

I can see Ten Hag getting frustrated.

Perhaps ETH should call the boards bluff, either sort this ownership business out in the next fortnight or I’m off.
The Glazers know how much we the supporters hate them and are laughing their little bollocks off at us, well feck em, I wouldn’t blame ETH for leaving . The club is a fecking joke right now a bad joke but one family finds it very fecking funny.

whys that?

They're insinuating he'll walk soon due to being frustrated by lack of transfers, mostly due to the takeover deadlock.

There's no sign that's true, but he's obviously a man focussed solely on winning and football, so the current situation is probably incredibly frustrating to him.

I'm not worried...yet.

They're insinuating he'll walk soon due to being frustrated by lack of transfers, mostly due to the takeover deadlock.

There's no sign that's true, but he's obviously a man focussed solely on winning and football, so the current situation is probably incredibly frustrating to him.

I'm not worried...yet.

thats a bit dramatic to say the least!

thats a bit dramatic to say the least!

It is. Nobody else has made any big moves yet either, it's all just tweets and rumours.

If it gets to mid-July and everyone else has signed up their main targets and look set for the season, whilst we still don't have a CF other than Martial, then I might start to get dramatic.

Perhaps ETH should call the boards bluff, either sort this ownership business out in the next fortnight or I’m off.
The Glazers know how much we the supporters hate them and are laughing their little bollocks off at us, well feck em, I wouldn’t blame ETH for leaving . The club is a fecking joke right now a bad joke but one family finds it very fecking funny.
Glazers wouldn't give a shit. Not their problem, just something for the next owner to deal with.

The problem is the Glazers won't give a feck. They'll sell eventually and it'll be the next owners problem.

All those saying he’ll walk. He wouldn’t get a gig at any other top club right now. He’s shown he has a fair few flaws, he’s not above Manchester United football club. He’s won in a league where Steve Maclaren has won.

I somewhat agree with this.

We had a semi decent season and Ten Hag has fans credit because how he done this season given the constraints and how we were last season.

Since we appointed him, alot has changed, Chelsea are spending big, City dominant, Arsenal spending big, Newcastle are coming and Liverpool will be back.

We cannot go into this season with so many holes in our team. GK, RB, CM, RW, ST are glaring holes in our team. Most of the above squads have the players to compete.

The way things are going, transfer activity looking bleak due to takeover which may not be done in time for the new season, we will panic buy players that in a year will not be needed.

I can see Ten Hag getting frustrated.
I dont agree with this post. He spent north of 200m in his first summer and will probably end this summer spending at 150m ish or more.

That too in a hectic takeover period. If Qatar end up buying us, which they look likely to, he's not going to say "ah feck this, I think il move on becsuse I probably won't have more money in future windows". He'd be thinking the exact opposite.

I also don't understand how we can evaluate how our moves are one week into the window opening. Of course we will be set back with the takeover but I anticipate we will make strong moves for 2-3 key areas nonetheless. Just give it time.

Probably way too early to speculate how next season will end up but I do get the feeling that the top 4 battle will be harder for reasons people have stated and it might be a more realistic target than a legit title challenge or closing the gap to City which is what most people were hoping when we finished third.

This takeover business has been a real downer for the club. I'm worried we might have a summer like 2018-19 where the signings of Fred and Dalot were deemed sufficient to close a 19 point gap on City.

I feel for ETH who has to work for the clown owners and our non- existent football structure. Looks like Klopp was right to reject us when Ed tried to sell him our adult Disneyland vision.

Good thing is that next year Top 5 will get the CL. I think next year will be another year where our main aim is to finish Top 5 and maybe a Cup. We will not be challenging for anything major.

Our hope now is the new owner come in with ambition to quickly reverse all these and give ETH full support he needs.

I dont agree with this post. He spent north of 200m in his first summer and will probably end this summer spending at 150m ish or more.

That too in a hectic takeover period. If Qatar end up buying us, which they look likely to, he's not going to say "ah feck this, I think il move on becsuse I probably won't have more money in future windows". He'd be thinking the exact opposite.

I also don't understand how we can evaluate how our moves are one week into the window opening. Of course we will be set back with the takeover but I anticipate we will make strong moves for 2-3 key areas nonetheless. Just give it time.

See this is the problem I find, we spent 230m last summer but we all know Antony was 50% more than we should be paying.

We will spend money this summer but I do not trust us to spend it properly.

Also, I am not saying, Ten Hag will 100% leave, I am saying if the way the Glazers are carrying on the way they are now, taking their time in selling, we could waste this window.

We cannot afford to go into the start of the season without 2/3 signings that improve the 1sxt 11.

See this is the problem I find, we spent 230m last summer but we all know Antony was 50% more than we should be paying.

We will spend money this summer but I do not trust us to spend it properly.

Also, I am not saying, Ten Hag will 100% leave, I am saying if the way the Glazers are carrying on the way they are now, taking their time in selling, we could waste this window.

We cannot afford to go into the start of the season without 2/3 signings that improve the 1sxt 11.
Right but in his first window Ten Hag did get a full back, two midfielders, a center back and a winger. So all in all he was broadly backed.

I think hel also be backed this season. In the Premier league we can't win the transfer window every season, but as long as we recruit well and get some of his first choices from the list then I think he would be satisfied. For example Mount is big this year, as is/was Kane but he'd accept the latter isn't doable. Last season Antony Licha and Malacia were cemented in his list.

Right but in his first window Ten Hag did get a full back, two midfielders, a center back and a winger. So all in all he was broadly backed.

I think hel also be backed this season. In the Premier league we can't win the transfer window every season, but as long as we recruit well and get some of his first choices from the list then I think he would be satisfied. For example Mount is big this year, as is/was Kane but he'd accept the latter isn't doable. Last season Antony Licha and Malacia were cemented in his list.

No I get he was backed last season but he had to be considering we lost loads of players on a free.

This season, its going to be harder, we need to get our core sorts. I dont think we get away with DDG, Eriksen and no striker this season.

Too late, may salvage the season but damage will be done in summer if fail this window
We should be tying up Mount pretty early so it's not a bad start. Lets see how quickly the takeover gets wrapped up from here on. Either it's dithering or its moving quickly with the media not being briefed.

It comes from the logic of if we were to lose him, he'd probably go on to Bayern/Madrid/Barcelona/PSG or if he didn't have the United association would be on the list as a Pep successor.

If he has hopes of attracting these clubs, leaving because of one summer of inactivity with a club takeover in the background, would send the wrong message to them. Utd is his first really big job and he has to demonstrate that last season wasn't just a fluke.

I'm all for shitting on the owners but the line that we won't sanction any spending until the takeover is complete doesn't tally up with the Mount bid at all.
I honestly believe in a form of confirmation bias where people post shit on a forum, news sources bored because of silly season read along and post the rumors on Twitter covered as news and the perpetual cycle continues.

Seems like he really is in the driving seat when it comes to transfers. Last summer it was understandable but all the noises coming out are that the targets are being driven by ETH, rather than Murtough with the support/backing of ETH. We don't know what's happening behind the scenes but from a PR perspective I'm not sure Murtough has done a good job of demonstrating his value. So far he's been largely credited with appointing Rangnick, appointing ETH and the Casemrio signing (as an alternative to FDJ).

Status
Not open for further replies.