Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did they? I can‘t remember.

I do know we already often line up in a 3223/325 formation when attacking. For example:

Varane Martinez Eriksen
Dalot Casemiro
Bruno Shaw
Antony Martial Rashford

The players switch position often. In defense, we are usually in a 4141 shape.

I don‘t think we are going to start games with three cb‘s anytime soon.

Apparently EtH wants two Bruno's there, hence that Mount interest. I imagine it would be really crowded in that central part where Rashford and Antony also like to go inside.

Apparently EtH wants two Bruno's there, hence that Mount interest. I imagine it would be really crowded in that central part where Rashford and Antony also like to go inside.
Mount will push up high like Sabitzer did.

For any posters who were unsure of Ten Hag when he signed on the dotted line, would you have still wanted him if someone told you this regarding our fiercest rivals during his debut season at Manchester United:
  • Man City will beat us in the FA Cup Final on their way to winning The Treble
  • In a league match Liverpool will record their highest ever win against us

To offset that, United will finish 3rd and win the League Cup.

Would you still have wanted him as our manager knowing that?

Who else was available that would have done better exactly with the team ten hag had ?

For any posters who were unsure of Ten Hag when he signed on the dotted line, would you have still wanted him if someone told you this regarding our fiercest rivals during his debut season at Manchester United:

:lol: You seem to be trying to use the fact we got to the FA cup final as a black mark against ETH. Remarkable.

So it would have been better if we were eliminated in the 3rd round of the FA Cup, since we don't make the final and lose?

That is some interesting logic.

Still intrigued to see what he does with the deep lying playmaker situation. Obviously he has now finally realised that De Jong won't leave

Er, yeah? In a heartbeat.

Finishing 3rd and winning a cup makes us strategically stronger, if we use the platform right. Stopping City/Liverpool would have been tactical victories only. Talk about not seeing the forest for the trees.

For you stat heads, a good video. Backs up how I feel about Ten Hag really.

In the simplest of terms, a few outlier games skewed everything but his approach is intrinsically risky anyway. Think we conceded 40% of our goals in a handful of games. Explains how we win the golden gloves whilst not having the best defensive record.

Also makes me think a Kim Min Jae style defender will make a huge huge difference to this team, on top of a GK and a ST obviously.

« WM » is basicaly a 3-2-2-3 formation, where the position of players form the letters W and M.
Nowadays it would be more akin to a 3-4-3 with a double pivot in midfield.

To reply to @Isotope, you can play a WM formation with inside forwards on the wings, it just means the two players supporting in midfield occupy the wings while fullbacks cut inside, which is a bit what City and Arsenal do with Stones and Zinchenko. I think Dalot and Shaw especially can play that role, but I’m not sure we have midfielders that are tactically disciplined enough to be able to switch between the center of the pitch and the wings

City and Arsenal have playmakers as their "wing forwards". SO when they cut inside, they don't lose any playmaking. Also they still have at least one wing forward who can provide wide; so not BOTH of their attacking 8 need to provide width.

With us, any of Rashford or Antony need to be able to stretch wide to make this formation work.

I remember he said he has compiled the targets and now it's up to the board to decide. This is his first summer transfer at United where he had full year to plan and execute. Hope he chooses wisely, assuming the board will go by his wishes.

Confirmed what most have been saying; a few freak results aside, which completely skewed the stats, we are steadily improving under him.
Yeah. Think he understates the impact of fixture congestion and the world Cup impact as well (nobody but City dealt with it well, if you look at whenever teams had multiple games per week in the 2nd half of the season, especially performance wise). That, and our specific weaknesses in our team being just such a big hindrance that the standard "buy better players" will have a disproportionately big impact for us next season. We are a CL level club with championship level performance at our striker position on average from the season, and a bottom half PL performance level out of our goalkeeper. There will simply be massive team upgrades by just addressing those 2 positions... Provided we do bring them up to a CL level.

Yeah. Think he understates the impact of fixture congestion and the world Cup impact as well (nobody but City dealt with it well, if you look at whenever teams had multiple games per week in the 2nd half of the season, especially performance wise). That, and our specific weaknesses in our team being just such a big hindrance that the standard "buy better players" will have a disproportionately big impact for us next season. We are a CL level club with championship level performance at our striker position on average from the season, and a bottom half PL performance level out of our goalkeeper. There will simply be massive team upgrades by just addressing those 2 positions... Provided we do bring them up to a CL level.

The odd thing is there are a group that twist the idea ten Hag plays DDG and Weghorst because he's in love with them, or other equally ridiculous claims.

It's been as clear as day that his hands were completely tied behind his back with our GK and striker situation. He should get far more plaudits for being able to achieve what we did with that squad.

The odd thing is there are a group that twist the idea ten Hag plays DDG and Weghorst because he's in love with them, or other equally ridiculous claims.

It's been as clear as day that his hands were completely tied behind his back with our GK and striker situation. He should get far more plaudits for being able to achieve what we did with that squad.
Yup. Weghorst makes sense anyway when you consider the dynamics that our other forwards bring, and what our goalkeeper can do. We struggle to build up against a good pressing team. So we need to go long more often. The only attacker who even showed an interest in competing for long balls (apart from the 5 games Martial can stay fit for) was Weghorst. So he played. Sancho was the epitome of "meh" and was absent a lot. Antony was absent pretty often. Garnacho is 18, and had a 2 month injury.

Availability and just being somebody who will try to compete with long balls was the biggest thing Weghorst brought to the table and it was a necessity given we didn't have either of those 2 if he didn't play. The 2nd bit isn't a problem if you can play out from the back effectively. But we can't.

Getting 3rd, winning a cup, getting to another final is a huge achievement given the limitations we had IMO.

Yup. Weghorst makes sense anyway when you consider the dynamics that our other forwards bring, and what our goalkeeper can do. We struggle to build up against a good pressing team. So we need to go long more often. The only attacker who even showed an interest in competing for long balls (apart from the 5 games Martial can stay fit for) was Weghorst. So he played. Sancho was the epitome of "meh" and was absent a lot. Antony was absent pretty often. Garnacho is 18, and had a 2 month injury.

Availability and just being somebody who will try to compete with long balls was the biggest thing Weghorst brought to the table and it was a necessity given we didn't have either of those 2 if he didn't play. The 2nd bit isn't a problem if you can play out from the back effectively. But we can't.

Getting 3rd, winning a cup, getting to another final is a huge achievement given the limitations we had IMO.

Wout was absolutely awful at competing for long balls. It wouldn’t be much of an exaggeration to say he didn’t win a single header, competing for a high ball, in his Manchester United career.

I don’t think ETH picked him because he was his buddy. He picked him because the other options were injured or similarly shite. The only mystery is why we signed him and whether or not there was another, better, available on loan anywhere else in the world. Which must surely have been the case. Although with our genius scouting network in charge you can see why we didn’t find one.

There's a group of posters on this forum at the moment who I can only assume fell into a coma the day SAF retired. They then woke up at the beginning of this season just gone, and so have no concept of the difficulties that have plagued the club between now and then.

Instead, they'll camp in player threads moaning about how 'we need to sign best in class' or we 'lack ambition' for targeting younger prospects, or just not the shiny new toy they really want. They'll also bang on about EtH's error in brining in Wout, and then list a wave of utterly shite journeyman strikers (who probably weren't available for a loan, or would have demanded some kind of permanent deal afterwards) they think were better choices.

The sensible among us can see his hands were tied. He managed to make the most of a bad situation and get us to 3rd without having a recognised PL level striker all season.

I can picture these posters as the same fans holding up 'TA RA FERGIE' signs, many moons ago.

Wout was absolutely awful at competing for long balls. It wouldn’t be much of an exaggeration to say he didn’t win a single header, competing for a high ball, in his Manchester United career.

I don’t think ETH picked him because he was his buddy. He picked him because the other options were injured or similarly shite. The only mystery is why we signed him and whether or not there was another, better, available on loan anywhere else in the world. Which must surely have been the case. Although with our genius scouting network in charge you can see why we didn’t find one.
Oh he was shite in the air with his head, but at least he did better than Rashford/Garnacho/Antony/Sancho/Bruno to at least receive a high ball on his chest or at his feet with someone on his back. He wasn't too bad at that part (while not being good with flick ons). That was definitely the logic of playing him as a 10 vs Barca for example. We needed to bypass the press a bit, and he was the only one who was at least "ok".

If we had Fellaini for example, you bet your ass Ten Hag would play him every game as he was actually elite at that :lol:

I thought I would quote this in here:
It looks like it's over. The club haven't even offered him a firm proposal per the report below.

I think it's a good indication that what Ten Hag says in press conferences about players and their futures should really be taken with a giant pinch of salt. Clearly, his aim is to big them up under all circumstances by always finding something positive to say about their performances and future - regardless of what he actually thinks and what's happening behind the scenes.

Well, either that, or United are treating De Gea like this entirely against Ten Hag's wishes - which I don't believe for a second (also because De Gea doesn't at all fit the profile of Ten Hag's ideal keeper).

With the history of the last 10 years I'm worried the club are going to massively screw him this window, halt the progress he's made and we'll inevitably see him come under pressure that is no fault of his own. Just can't shake the feeling. Really hope I'm wrong because he's clearly the best manager we've had since Ferguson.

With the history of the last 10 years I'm worried the club are going to massively screw him this window, halt the progress he's made and we'll inevitably see him come under pressure that is no fault of his own. Just can't shake the feeling. Really hope I'm wrong because he's clearly the best manager we've had since Ferguson.

Yeah I can't shake the feeling as Big Fun once sang in the late 80s (old skool reference)

Imagine how ETH must be right now
- comes in to the club after the shitshow of the prior season,
- is (presumably) told the need is Top 4 and then to push on,
- manages that and gets a trophy in his first season
- is then told he’s got next to nothing (in relative terms) to spend because ‘we’re too busy trying to get 30 pieces of silver instead of 20 for the club sale.’

He must be absolutely fecking fuming!

Imagine how ETH must be right now
- comes in to the club after the shitshow of the prior season,
- is (presumably) told the need is Top 4 and then to push on,
- manages that and gets a trophy in his first season
- is then told he’s got next to nothing (in relative terms) to spend because ‘we’re too busy trying to get 30 pieces of silver instead of 20 for the club sale.’

He must be absolutely fecking fuming!

I share this sentiment. My worry is ETH will feel he isn't getting the backing be wants and will walk this time next year

I share this sentiment. My worry is ETH will feel he isn't getting the backing be wants and will walk this time next year

When does a manager EVER walk?

He has the budget this summer what he will have always had irrespective of the club sale because of FFP.

He has the budget this summer what he will have always had irrespective of the club sale because of FFP.

If Qatar buys the club late this summer then he’ll likely have a massive January budget as well.

It's probably more the fear that a bad mood settles on the club with the manager feeling less than happy over the current situation and performances drastically get worse. I'm not defending Jose, I don't think he was ever right for us, but it was so obvious that when all he got the following summer after finishing 2nd was Fred and Dalot that he was getting sacked at some point in the following season.

As you say maybe that won't be the case with the FFP stuff and he's already aware there's a limited budget.

Techn
It's probably more the fear that a bad mood settles on the club with the manager feeling less than happy over the current situation and performances drastically get worse. I'm not defending Jose, I don't think he was ever right for us, but it was so obvious that when all he got the following summer after finishing 2nd was Fred and Dalot that he was getting sacked at some point in the following season.

As you say maybe that won't be the case with the FFP stuff and he's already aware there's a limited budget.
It's not even just a budgetary issue though is it. Just look how slow we are to act all the time, it always feels like we can only focus on 1 target at a time whilst other clubs seem to be able to target multiple, we dither and watch and are interested and we're monitoring whilst other clubs have already made their decisions and are pursuing them. You could argue we aren't interested in these players but already the likes of Caicedo, KMJ, Rice, Kane and more are basically out of our reach now either because other clubs were way more decisive, they've done their diligence during the season, or aren't waiting weeks to follow up on a bid like we are. I feel sorry for ETH because at the moment it would seem like the only person we're even remotely doing anything with is Mount and who knows if that's going to happen with Chelsea being so stubborn, would not surprise me if we don't have a single player in time for the pre-season, again. I'd love to be proved wrong of course but that's not what prior evidence tells us

Even apart from what he achieve in terms of results, I just wanted to recall that EtH had been magnificent this season. Doing better than I could have hoped. He managed to implement a different style of play with his players (with the disruption of the world cup) and the Ronaldo saga.

Yeah, no question.

I think there's a very real danger this season will be his last and he'll be at Madrid next season. Can't see him allowing these idiots who currently own the club to undermine his plans for success. Plenty of clubs out there who would back him properly.

I think there's a very real danger this season will be his last and he'll be at Madrid next season. Can't see him allowing these idiots who currently own the club to undermine his plans for success. Plenty of clubs out there who would back him properly.
I think the takeover will finish partway into the season and he'll have funds sooner rather than later. However there's a danger he gets the sack for having a less than stellar season owing to not being backed this summer. He's not the Qataris man nor Ratcliffe's so they might get rid and bring in their guy.

I think the takeover will finish partway into the season and he'll have funds sooner rather than later. However there's a danger he gets the sack for having a less than stellar season owing to not being backed this summer. He's not the Qataris man nor Ratcliffe's so they might get rid and bring in their guy.

A highly possible and horribly grim scenario. I'm convinced we've got the right manager at last and it would be tragic if we lose him as a final insult of the glazer era.

Which clubs would back him ?
Do you think he would be 100% backed at Madrid? I don't think so. Unless your name is Pep or Klopp no club would back the manager and stand behind his every decision, there is too much at stake.
Are there better conditions at Madrid to succeed ? Yes there are, but only if you get along with Perez and have the same view.
Given our recent manager appointment fails and our board's inability to choose the right manager for so many years, I think ETH has a chance to be backed here, as long as there is money available for transfers.

Could actually see Ten Hag at Barcelona, they do have a rich history with all things Dutch and his stock is rising, he would be an excellent fit for them.

Knowing ETH I 'm sure he'd rather win the CL with United than with Madrid who have a subscription on winning it. If not with United I would see him going to Bayern or Barcelona before considering Madrid.

relex eth isn't going anywhere. as soon as the takeover has happened, they can start building their star team. nothing is better for a trainer to be able to put something like that down under a good healthy policy and to get Manchester United back where it belongs.

relex eth isn't going anywhere. as soon as the takeover has happened, they can start building their star team. nothing is better for a trainer to be able to put something like that down under a good healthy policy and to get Manchester United back where it belongs.

Let's hope so :)

The job is a step-up for him and he's the fortunate one to be employed by United, not the other way around. This weird undercurrent of insecurity that's been around since he first signed (people saying he'll walk bla bla bla) as if United are somehow in the weaker position in this relationship and are lucky to have the mighty ETH in their employ is very strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.