Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
-Beat Brighton at home +3
-Win at Palace +2 (McTominay was fouled in the box, it was a penalty)
-Beat Leeds at home +2 (Ball deflects the other way off Varane)
-Beat Southampton at home +2
-Win at Spurs +2 (we were up 2-0)
-Draw at Brighton +1 (Feck Mariner for giving them a free kick for a dive)
-Win at West Ham +3 (Better finishing and we should have been up 2/3-0 in the 1st half)
-Draw at Arsenal +1 (Just a few more minutes)

91 points -

It was there. Yes I know you can say you can do the "what if" game with other teams. But 91 points would have been enough to win the league. If ETH gets backed properly I don't think winning the league will be a hypothetical.

-Win at West Ham +3 (Better finishing and we should have been up 2/3-0 in the 1st half)

91 points -

It was there. Yes I know you can say you can do the "what if" game with other teams. But 91 points would have been enough to win the league. If ETH gets backed properly I don't think winning the league will be a hypothetical.
Actually, it is still one pt off if the title was to be decided in the last round.

What a story it will be to upset the PL champions and deny them their first ever treble while showing the rest of the league there's massive potential yet untapped in this United side.

I hope every one of the players grows a third lung by Saturday :devil:

God knows I don't want to kick off a RR debate, but this post spectacularly ignores any kind of context. Comparing the records of Ole and ETH with RR is disingenuous. As is saying that "these were the same players, by and large, who Ole took to 2nd and 3rd and a couple of cup finals", they were also the ones that got him the sack (although that's not to absolve Ole of guilt - he was an incredibly limited manager). Don't really understand the need to put the boot in on RR, he came into a total mess, and the club were not clear on what his role really was (i.e. was he there - like most caretakers - to just try and salvage the season and steady the ship for a few months, or was he there as part of a wider strategy to overhaul the playing side of the club?). Let's just be glad that we finally got a permanent appointment right - whether or not he delivers the kind of success that we all crave ETH is already showing that he is changing the culture of the club, he's signing players with the correct mentality, and with financial support in the summer we could really be going places.
Ralf came into a total mess, true. But by the time that clown was finished, we were worse than when Ole was managing the same squad at the beginning of the season. Ralf’s record was actually worse than Ole’s in 21-22. That’s the context for me. Obviously, the signing of Licha, Eriksen and Casemiro were a massive boost (thank you ETH), but most of the squad is the same. The reclamation of AWB, Dalot’s improvement, Rashford’s return to form, Shaw’s return to form are 100% ETH. Buildup is better, control of games is better, quicker ball movement, more one touch passing, playing out of the press is better, all ETH.

If you and the other Ralf apologists can’t see that he was very poor at preparing the squad to play, at communicating tactics, installing tactics, managing the player’s egos, instilling belief and confidence, I got nothing for you.

91 points -

What you're saying is that if everything that went our way still went our way and the other stuff...also went our way, then look what a great outcome we'll have. It's a bit boring that's all.

Plus you do realise Man City's final total is a false one in this context because they dropped 5 points after winning the league? So, 91 still wouldn't be enough.

All that would've happened if we looked like reaching that total is that Man City would've gotten into gear earlier. That's the one thing we've learned from watching Liverpool go up against them. Pep will be like, oh you're getting 91? How cute. I'll get 92.

Ralf came into a total mess, true. But by the time that clown was finished, we were worse than when Ole was managing the same squad at the beginning of the season. Ralf’s record was actually worse than Ole’s in 21-22. That’s the context for me. Obviously, the signing of Licha, Eriksen and Casemiro were a massive boost (thank you ETH), but most of the squad is the same. The reclamation of AWB, Dalot’s improvement, Rashford’s return to form, Shaw’s return to form are 100% ETH. Buildup is better, control of games is better, quicker ball movement, more one touch passing, playing out of the press is better, all ETH.

If you and the other Ralf apologists can’t see that he was very poor at preparing the squad to play, at communicating tactics, installing tactics, managing the player’s egos, instilling belief and confidence, I got nothing for you.
Ralf was right on one thing though. The playing squad needs massive investment. What was that thing about, 'open heart surgery'? or something like that.

What you're saying is that if everything that went our way still went our way and the other stuff...also went our way, then look what a great outcome we'll have. It's a bit boring that's all.

Plus you do realise Man City's final total is a false one in this context because they dropped 5 points after winning the league? So, 91 still wouldn't be enough.

All that would've happened if we looked like reaching that total is that Man City would've gotten into gear earlier. That's the one thing we've learned from watching Liverpool go up against them. Pep will be like, oh you're getting 91? How cute. I'll get 92.
I think the point is rather that United weren't far off getting significantly more points, which bodes well for the future.

The last time I heard a United manager say, “that there’s one more game left and the players will be looking forward to it” was when Fergie used those words at the end of the season award ceremony before the CL night in Moscow. Goosebumps!
Appreciate the comparison but Van Gaal said it in 2016 before the FA Cup Final too.

After 10 years post SAF, finally we have a top manager. Really looking forward to next season. Hope this is really the light at the end of tunnel.

It's unbelievable how badly run we were. Post Ed and hopefully soon post Glazers, hope the club can conquer PL and Europe once again. We belong to the pinnacle of football. Not Glazers and Ed money making machine.

I know you lot has a memory of a goldfish. But it feels really good to me to have a season such as this one when I look back at last season. Rangnick kept going on and on about tactical side of things that made us nod like sheeps but had no proof that he implemented those whatsoever. But with Ten Hag what you heard is what you get. No sugarcoating, no overly blaming players but still hold them accountable, I love it.

Usually managers would put importance to the fans just because they have to win their favor. It's the same feeling I had towards LvG and Jose. They praised the fans just because they had to. Erik is different though, he actually asked the players to appreciate the fans more and we saw them actually doing it first before we heard about it from Erik. And now he's trying to get us pumped for the final when a simple thank you would have sufficed. He's risking himself looking like a idiot if we lose. You can see his honesty, he actually thinks the fans matter and our home record is a proof of that.

If he wins the FA cup and stops the City treble he’d be the best manager since Fergie by a country mile

My opinion is ten Haag is ahead of his time (in my mind).

I basically wrote this season off because there is/was a lot of dead wood and other crap to deal with so maybe a 5th or 6th with cup be acceptable. Following season top 4 then challenge for title then win etc.

he has been to proud in a few games but he is doing a wonderful job. Roll on the weekend and then august

Officially a good season, regardless of what happens in the FA cup now.

Shows what a good manager can do with players that aren't exactly world class. Hopefully there's a solid recruitment plan for the summer.

Love how he has brought the fans and players back and reconnected the relationship. Last season it was broken. This man’s a genius. He’s made us unite and we’re stronger for it.

Good to see ETH making it clear that he believes the club needs proper funding to keep moving forward

A decent season under EtH. We backed him last summer but Wout'ed him in the winter. Overall a 7.5 out of 10. The 0-7 loss to the scousers as well as fecking up the Europa League hurt.

Far and away the best manager post Ferguson, he deserves backing to the hilt this summer, let's hope new owners are announced imminently.

Regardless of what happens in the FA Cup final (we'll likely lose it) Ten Hag has had a great first season considering the squad he inherited. Can’t really ask for much more overall.

Great finish to the season and ended up a very good one after all. A few clear shortcomings to iron out over Summer and the next couple of years but we're on a good track. Probably among our top 3 seasons since Fergie left but I'm a little more confident that we can build on that than I were in any of the other decent seasons since.

He's a class act.

Up front, honest, no bs.

Some ups and downs over the season, but it's been a good one. Needs support now from the club to build on it.

He can take Utd to titles, no doubt about it.

How is it strange? He's an ambitious manager and knows a good 40% of our squad is shit.

We also have a tendency to underspend under the Glazers when we qualify for the CL, good on Erik for turning up the heat on them.

I do fear that if the sale of the club hasn't gone through and we don't spend enough to help him out, he'll have his head turned by Real next summer when they replace Ancelotti.
He will know he has had to run some of them into the ground due to lack of quality alternatives. As you say he is ambitious.

At our current level, we are not going to catch City in the league. Forget about it.
Yes our current level is 2 levels below city, but with 3 right signings we can close the gap to around 3 swings games. Current level is around 5-7 games difference. But also city levels this season is 2 games lower.

Can Ten Hag close the gap? Probably, but he needs to find a way of controlling football games. As usual 28 game wins were needed to win the league this season, last loss to city was pass game. If a need to win was there, city would have won. So essentially it's still 29-30 games to have a genuine chance of winning against Pep. Arsenal had 26 wins, that's why they fell short.

ETH has 23 wins this season, so another 6 games swing will be sufficient BUT home form has to REMAIN constant. Very hard and tough.

ETH has done a phenomenal job from the team last year and the seasons worth of embarrassment to a really solid season, two cup finals and CL. Players like Martinez, Varane, Shaw, Casemiro, Rashford having excellent seasons and players like AWB, Fred and Lindelof making huge strides from deadwood to good squad players.

We need the sale to get sorted ASAP so that we can build again.

Seeing this I can't help but chuckle that one of the critisisms Dutch pundits used to have about ETH is that he had no charisma.
It’s a ridiculous assessment, he’s very very charismatic. Anytime he’s interviewed he’s a very good listen.

Status
Not open for further replies.