Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's not a single poster on here that wouldn't have bitten your hand off for a top 4 finish and a trophy at the start of the season. We might even make it a cup double!

This place :rolleyes:

Reactions: moses
There's not a single poster on here that wouldn't have bitten your hand off for a top 4 finish and a trophy at the start of the season. We might even make it a cup double!

And how many people are actually saying anything different to that?

You can be happy with something, while also discussing some details you weren't happy in the mean time, it doesn't mean you are not happy with the manager or think he is shite and deserves to be sacked.

That's so obvious that there is no point in arguing with those folks.

Defending a situation in which our manager puts Wout Weghorst in Bruno's position and move Bruno out wide is one of the most ridiculous things you can read here.

Nobody is defending that exact choice, just trusting the manager, who has more data than us.

Nobody actually thinks that all things being OK that Wout should be near the side. Including the manager I reckon.

But we have to engafe with reality occasionally.

I love ETH but the Wout criticism is valid. He's definitely one of the worst players I have seen play in a Utd shirt. Can't score, can't head, zero ball control ETHs obsession with him is bizzare to say the least.

There are a million combinations ETH could try before he brings on WW. Even Bruno as a false #9 would be miles better than watching WW flail about. He's genuinely incredibly shite.

Nobody is defending that exact choice, just trusting the manager, who has more data than us.

Nobody actually thinks that all things being OK that Wout should be near the side. Including the manager I reckon.

But we have to engafe with reality occasionally.

So anything our manager does we should just trust him, and that's it.

Why is this thread even opened when every criticism or even counter argument can be defended with: "We should trust the manager"

Okay there sparky. RR gets credit for stuff that Michels and Saachi were doing well before him. I suppose you could plant your flag on RR’s hill, just a bizarre place to do it. He was shite when he was here. Ole had a better record than Ralf with the same squad that season, and we all wanted Ole gone. Part of the evaluation of ETH is looking at the record of the preceding managers. Ralf’s taking a few arrows, and who cares? I guess you represent the 1% of UTD fans who think RR got a raw deal. So be it. Incredibly happy to have that clown out of my club and ETH in charge.
RR is a good manager who could not make an impact at United. No need to give him the nasty.

I love ETH but the Wout criticism is valid. He's definitely one of the worst players I have seen play in a Utd shirt. Can't score, can't head, zero ball control ETHs obsession with him is bizzare to say the least.

There are a million combinations ETH could try before he brings on WW. Even Bruno as a false #9 would be miles better than watching WW flail about. He's genuinely incredibly shite.
He played well yesterday, helping progress the ball, layoffs, pressing. Martial did not do better.

To be fair, he also started several games as No.10, with us having to change the positions of Bruno (and occasionally Rashford) to accommodate Weghorst. Which is fecking insane considering that Weghorst wouldn’t start matches for teams who are getting relegated.

I don’t know if it a coping mechanics, a denial before acceptance, or ‘the manager cannot do wrong’ part of the cult, but it is clear as day that ten Hag is a big fan of Weghorst and I would not be surprised at all if we sign him permanently and he is the backup striker next season. Which would be insane but at this stage we have get used to insane things that this club does.

Martial was back from injury on April 2nd, since then Weghorst started just 1 games in all competitions (if I checked correctly).

I don't know about "manager cannot do wrong" cult but there are plenty of "I will moan for the sake of it" shit gang which just moans and cry about every small thing.

What exactly is "big fan of Weghorst" mean, do you think ETH type "Weghorst best skills" on youtube and watches it endlessly? One more phrase that makes feck all sense.

So anything our manager does we should just trust him, and that's it.

Why is this thread even opened when every criticism or even counter argument can be defended with: "We should trust the manager"

Don't be childish. We should trust a manager that proves trustworthy. Question of course, but Wout is pretty much an awful necessity. We have arguably put together out best run with him in the team. That to me shows the manager made the right decision to play him in those games. Often that decision made itself as we had no obvious replacemehts on the bench. Wout can't play at a high level but for a loan player you need to not be overawed by the club as so many players have been over the decades. And Wout with his limited ability has relished being here.

I'm not even bothered discussing this with you if you consider Martial's performance yesterday as dog shit.

If anyone considers Martial's performance as anything but shit vs Bournemouth then yes, they don't deserve any attention. So yeah agree to disagree.

Passing is diabolical let’s be fair here. Brighton and Brentford can string together better routines than us. I’d love to see stats on that like how many times we keep the ball for 6 passes or more compared to these teams. I think we’d be well behind them both.
I agree, we have regressed in our passing in the last months. Fixture congestion means less training time to work on it.

We are in survivalmode, there has been no time to improve routines.

This game Weghorst fit the game situation better. However, one could wonder why Garnacho was not given more minutes. He could have come on first for Sancho. Martial and Garnacho barely play with each other since they previously missed out due to injuries. We had a week between game now. Martial didn't look happy coming off. Perhaps he think he can afford another 10 minutes?

Similar against Wolves. Garnacho and Fred could have been the first sub. Weghorst had few decent moments in between before Fred and Garnacho came on, but we were still very vulnerable to long ball over the top. Once Wolves got the ball to our final third, we couldn't get out. Garnacho, and especially Fred sub helped us in this aspect.

Against Brighton, Weghorst sub didn't help the situation. Eriksen was unused sub. We could have done with some Eriksen composure with possesion, or some legs like Pellistri or Enlanga. Just keep Rashford up top, Sancho left, Eriksen/Pellistri/Elanaga right may have helped. Weghorst came on and we couldn't attack, or hold on to the ball further up the pitch. Then his ineffective pressing (he too slow chase the ball carrier) means that we're stretched, and the space between our lines allowed Brighton overrun us.

Weghorst started against West Ham in no 10 and had Bruno shifted around. Really not worth shifting Bruno out of his best position. Martial sub in the last 30 minutes were more threatening than Weghorst the whole game despite Martial played at his usual low intensity.

So while Weghorst starting game has been reduced, it's arguable that he still had more minutes than he should especially that questionable start against West Ham.

Weghorst started one game in all competition once Martial was back from injury, in the games he didn't start he played 106 mins in 6 games, if you add 2 unused sub games then it's 106 mins in 8 league games. That's feck all minutes.

Bottom of the barrel posting.

Kouroux is our own Wout, everywhere and contributes very little.
He’s a good poster who I’ve always liked. ETH and Wout seems to be his Achilles heel though.

ETH understands Wout is necessary for this season and needs to say good things to keep his morale up.

No way Wout will be retained next season.

Defending a situation in which our manager puts Wout Weghorst in Bruno's position and move Bruno out wide is one of the most ridiculous things you can read here.

Poster 1 - If Weghorst was starting when Martial was fit then what you said makes sense.

Poster 2 - To be fair, he also started several games as No.10, with us having to change the positions of Bruno

Poster 3 - Out of nowhere comes up with nonsense "Defending a situation in which our manager puts Wout Weghorst in Bruno's position and move Bruno out wide is one of the most ridiculous things you can read here"

I don't agree. You always a choice of not playing the worst striker in the PL. Nothing forces him to do so. Playing with a false 9 would be better
No it wouldn‘t. We need a focal point in attack for the others to play off. Putting Bruno there is counter productive because we need him in midfield and around the box. We need Eriksen in midfield.

Sabitzer is injured. There is no one else to put there that could do the job but Martial and WW.

Playing a false nine requires a top top player to do it and a sublime structure around it. We can‘t do it.

Reactions: moses
The state we were in last season and in the first couple of games of this it's been a great turnaround. A decent striker in January would have elevated us to a different level. I would also think we would have been in the Europa Final had it not been for injuries to Martinez and Varane. The qualification to the top 4 would also have been a lot easier.

In fact, we could possibly have been chasing Arsenal for the runners-up place. Yes. as @moses has mentioned in a few threads fatigue has also not helped with the limited quality of the squad.

I don't understand what's wrong with playing Weghorst. He is the back up CF and our first choice CF is injury prone. So Martial plays lot of mins and Weghorst comes on to play last few mins.
Nothing. WW did better than Martial yesterday, which says it all.

EtH and his coaching staff have done a wonderful job and should really be commended. We could still end up with the FA Cup.

Sure I‘ll defend it. It helped us beating Barcelona. You were all crapping your pants for those games.

The state we were in last season and in the first couple of games of this it's been a great turnaround. A decent striker in January would have elevated us to a different level. I would also think we would have been in the Europa Final had it not been for injuries to Martinez and Varane. The qualification to the top 4 would also have been a lot easier.

In fact, we could possibly have been chasing Arsenal for the runners-up place. Yes. as @moses has mentioned in a few threads fatigue has also not helped with the limited quality of the squad.

I think a full off season with all the data the manager has now with a chance to focus on coaching will see just as big a leap forward as we have seen this year. I'm genuinely excited for next season already!

Remove the adjustment to a new system, the world cup and the europa league madness and next year could see us really develop our playing style.

My only worry with ETH is him leaving. Bayern or Real could soon be looking for a new manager and with how things are handled by the higher ups at this club I wouldn't be surprised if he gets fed up and decides to leave if one of those clubs comes knocking.

I think a full off season with all the data the manager has now with a chance to focus on coaching will see just as big a leap forward as we have seen this year. I'm genuinely excited for next season already!

Remove the adjustment to a new system, the world cup and the europa league madness and next year could see us really develop our playing style.

Only worry is take over situation which probably will have impact on funds available for transfers.

My only worry with ETH is him leaving. Bayern or Real could soon be looking for a new manager and with how things are handled by the higher ups at this club I wouldn't be surprised if he gets fed up and decides to leave if one of those clubs comes knocking.
I'm not sure he's the type of character to move from the club unless pushed out. I'm basing this on his dignity and comments prior to moving to United from Ajax.

Sure I‘ll defend it. It helped us beating Barcelona. You were all crapping your pants for those games.

We beat Barcelona when we subbed off Wout. We were losing 1-0 and he was subbed at half time and we won 2-1.

Thank you ETH United

I'm sending in my thank you early because with three games left, the results won't change the way I feel towards ETH and the job he has done so far, we all knew he took over a broken team filled with prima donnas, inspite all of that it's fair to say he's Managed the beast very well, guided us to our first trophy(Albeit the Micky Mouse cup) in six years and we're still a fight away from an unlikely FA Cup glory, I can't thank him enough for making us look like a team the opposition dread facing, compared to how we were last season he deserves credit.

On players note despite my many many criticism of De Gea, for reasons that has nothing to do with shot stopping, he has shown to be the best shot stopper in the league for a long time, he truly deserved the Golden glove award this year, some of the reactive saves he was able to pull off were quite breathaking...

Many special thanks also goes out to Martinez, Varane, Shaw, Dalot, Wan Bissaka, Malacia, Casimiro and to some degree Lindelöf for helping to keep as many clean sheet through the course of the season.

Because when you look at our goal difference you'll understand that without such a solid foundation we wouldn't have had such a good season, considering our attack have been very wasteful in front of goal.

One more point in our next two games and our primary objective(Top 4) would be secured.

Special S/O to our stand in captain Bruno and to Eriksen, Marcus Rashford, Garnacho, Antony for contributing in attack this season, hopefully with a few good signings in the summer we should be better than what was on show this year.

If anyone considers Martial's performance as anything but shit vs Bournemouth then yes, they don't deserve any attention. So yeah agree to disagree.
WhoScored had him at a 7.11 rating, and he was growing into the game(as someone that hasn't played a lot recently), but yeah let's whip him at 55 mins for a guy who should be playing League 1 football.

Credit it to him for pushing the team over the finish line. Dropping points yesterday after 2 losses on the spin would have really amped up the pressure for the final two games, so having top 4 all but done is great. We've also got another cup final to cap off the season. Very happy. He is absolutely the man for the job.

No it wouldn‘t. We need a focal point in attack for the others to play off. Putting Bruno there is counter productive because we need him in midfield and around the box. We need Eriksen in midfield.

Sabitzer is injured. There is no one else to put there that could do the job but Martial and WW.

Playing a false nine requires a top top player to do it and a sublime structure around it. We can‘t do it.
It's still noneless an option, whether it'd be a good or bad one. My main point is that is that there are tactical setups available that don't include Weghorst

Status
Not open for further replies.