Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Must admit I was expecting Rashford to come off when I saw the subs getting ready. Considering his workload I do think he should have come off the minute we went 2-0 up.
He probably was going to be subbed off, just a few minutes after the time he got injured more than likely. It was just unlucky.

He probably was going to be subbed off, just a few minutes after the time he got injured more than likely. It was just unlucky.
Yeah, every injury is unlucky but that few minutes could prove costly. It's not a huge clanger or anything and hindsight is always 20/20 but, right now, Rashford should be the first one hooked when a game looks done.

He's clearly owned up to his mistake with Weghorst and solved the midfield problem in the absence of Casemiro, full credit to him.

This might seem like unfair and harsh criticism but it's the major EtH weakness that has been highlighted to us before be arrived - he doesn't like rotating much and especially his top guys.

Someone pointed out he didn't rotate much at Ajax, but I don't think it was brought up as a weakness per se. He trusts his players and values form and consistency. It won him three titles, so there you go.

Seemed to be a deliberate tactic of playing an early ball over Everton's high defensive line in the first half, knowing full well our forwards would outpace them. Credit to Ten Hag - he does his research on the opposition. I wasnt expecting Dyche to play such a high line but clearly our players knew they would as they were pinging early balls from the first minute.

Reactions: Cheimoon
you guys talk so much in hindsight ....could have taken him off at 2-0 but they score to make it 2-1 and he's not on the pitch then they equalize everyone would be slamming him for taking off rashy

i mean it's not like he asks rashford to do a ton of defending when playing hte 9 so he's not being over worked there

you guys talk so much in hindsight ....could have taken him off at 2-0 but they score to make it 2-1 and he's not on the pitch then they equalize everyone would be slamming him for taking off rashy

i mean it's not like he asks rashford to do a ton of defending when playing hte 9 so he's not being over worked there
What is this post?

Christ, it's football. Muscular injuries are going to happen, you spend 90 minutes running around, stretching for the ball for 50-60 games a year. Nothing the manager can really do, maybe if he takes him off now he pulls a groin in the next game. What are you gonna do, pull Rashford off every game anticipating the worst? We just have to get on with it.

I was just thinking, Martial is back, Erickson is back, Varane rested, Shaw rested (I think), this is close to a full strength squad as we’ve had for ages. Then Rashford gets injured. Shame but not TH’s fault. Rashford is a confidence player. We need to keep him playing and scoring so that he keeps up his form.

I thought ETH reason for keeping Rashy on was quite valid. In case anyone who missed it, he wanted Martial and rashy to play more together and get into the rhythm which will be essential during this last phase of the season.

Captain Hindsight rhetoric. Rashford could have done that at any point in any game. It happens.

Some of you weirdos would play players once a month.
It's not just hindsight. I (and presumably others) thought that 2-0 against a team who weren't troubling us at all was a perfect opportunity to rest a player or two that we rarely get the opportunity to. Rashford certainly being the most obvious of those.

We have no real choice but to start him every game, but that's the exact reason we should be looking for opportunities to take him off early when possible.

ETH mistakes:
i.He didn't sub rashford early enough before the injury.
ii.He should have subbed casemiro out before the tackle against Southampton,how can a world class manager not see that coming.
iii.ericksen injury is totally on him after the first tackle,he should have subbed him off !!
Is there any other one am missing?

ETH mistakes:
ii.He should have subbed casemiro out before the tackle against Southampton,how can a world class manager not see that coming.
iii.ericksen injury is totally on him after the first tackle,he should have subbed him off !!
Shame he doesn't have a crystal ball.

ETH mistakes:
You forgot about Garnacho. Totally rookie mistake to let him get scythed like that.

ETH mistakes:

Subbing off a player after a player is tackled is a requirement too?

You guys just love your hyperboles. 2-0 at home against a demoralised relegation fodder. Pellistri for Rashford is a no risk move in that situation.

It isn't hyperbole though is it? It is EXACTLY what would happen and has happened to every manager even on here since I have been on this site.

The scheduling by the Premier League and FA has been shockingly bad this year and is absolutely the first finger that should be pointed.

Oh for gawd sakes, 9 1/2 men obviously. Just give it up, you are just plain wrong. Barça played one of the highest lines in football.
No one in here say they didn’t play the highest line. Highest line doesn’t mean they played lot of high press because how can a team played high press if the opposition teams didn’t play from the back?

What is this post?

response to all those saying he should have subbed him off at 2-0 before he got hurt....hence the hindsight comment but at the same time what those same folks would have said if he had taken off rashford and everton somehow got back in the game and scored. they would have slammed eth for taking rashford off

I thought ETH reason for keeping Rashy on was quite valid. In case anyone who missed it, he wanted Martial and rashy to play more together and get into the rhythm which will be essential during this last phase of the season.

Here you go. Exactly what he said.

It's not just hindsight. I (and presumably others) thought that 2-0 against a team who weren't troubling us at all was a perfect opportunity to rest a player or two that we rarely get the opportunity to. Rashford certainly being the most obvious of those.

We have no real choice but to start him every game, but that's the exact reason we should be looking for opportunities to take him off early when possible.

2-0 isn’t a safe lead and Ten Hag is right to be cautious.

The medical team are also aware of injury susceptibility, hence Varane comes out on a regular basis.

Rashford’s injury is one that just happens. Get on with it.

Really? That's beyond sad.

I couldnt give a shite if the manager was born in the same country as me. I just want Utd to succeed.

Or did you mean Germany (Rangnick?)
No he definitely means Ole, and he's spot on about most of them being that way.

2-0 isn’t a safe lead and Ten Hag is right to be cautious.
Against a bad team that is in a relegation battle that we were completely dominating? It was one of the safest lead we've had in months, and if we can't trust the team to hold on in that situation we'll never be able to. It's actually worth noting that the only other two 'safe' leads we've had (Betis and Leicester) ETH did sub Rashford off so this is the first time I've felt he got it wrong. Unfortunately we then just got extremely unlucky that it actually cost us.

It's not like I'm here saying that ETH utterly fecked up and it's all his fault. Nine times out of ten nothing bad would have come out of it. But I do think there are a couple of players in our squad that we need to protect to some extent when the time is right (Varane being rested in this match was a great example), and Rashford is the one who we get the least opportunities to rest so we've got to try to take them when they come about.

Varane, Shaw, Martial, Eriksen and Rashford are the five players that I think we have to be careful with to differing extents. I feel ETH has done very well with the first two, Martial has been injured so much that his rotation hasn't been a factor at all, but that Eriksen had been overplayed before his injury and his performances had dropped off significantly, and that Rashford has been that important we've barely been able to rotate him at all.

Against a bad team that is in a relegation battle that we were completely dominating? It was one of the safest lead we've had in months, and if we can't trust the team to hold on in that situation we'll never be able to. It's actually worth noting that the only other two 'safe' leads we've had (Betis and Leicester) ETH did sub Rashford off so this is the first time I've felt he got it wrong. Unfortunately we then just got extremely unlucky that it actually cost us.

It's not like I'm here saying that ETH utterly fecked up and it's all his fault. Nine times out of ten nothing bad would have come out of it. But I do think there are a couple of players in our squad that we need to protect to some extent when the time is right (Varane being rested in this match was a great example), and Rashford is the one who we get the least opportunities to rest so we've got to try to take them when they come about.

Varane, Shaw, Martial, Eriksen and Rashford are the five players that I think we have to be careful with to differing extents. I feel ETH has done very well with the first two, Martial has been injured so much that his rotation hasn't been a factor at all, but that Eriksen had been overplayed before his injury and his performances had dropped off significantly, and that Rashford has been that important we've barely been able to rotate him at all.
It isn't ETH fault Eriksen got thugged by Andy Carroll. Another team it likely wouldn't have happened.

It isn't ETH fault Eriksen got thugged by Andy Carroll. Another team it likely wouldn't have happened.
I didn't blame him for the injury. But his form had been dropping for a while and he had been struggling more and more with intensity as the season wore on. Perhaps it was coincidence, but it certainly 'felt' like it was due to him being overplayed.

I didn't blame him for the injury. But his form had been dropping for a while and he had been struggling more and more with intensity as the season wore on. Perhaps it was coincidence, but it certainly 'felt' like it was due to him being overplayed.
Could agree about form. He has the advantage of being able to bring in McT, Fred and Sabitzer now to rest or bring off players. McT is playing better, Sabitzer is versatile. I am sure we will address the midfield in the summer.

Here you go. Exactly what he said.

I think this will need to be reposted every 10 posts or so to keep this discussion focused on actuals. So: Ten Hag agrees that taking Rashford off earlier would have made sense (agreeing with everyone on here talking about fatigue), but decided against that because he wanted to allow Martial and Rashford to develop a rhythm together. And so the only real question is: what's more important, protecting Rashford or giving him minutes with Martial?

I think this will need to be reposted every 10 posts or so to keep this discussion focused on actuals. So: Ten Hag agrees that taking Rashford off earlier would have made sense (agreeing with everyone on here talking about fatigue), but decided against that because he wanted to allow Martial and Rashford to develop a rhythm together. And so the only real question is: what's more important, protecting Rashford or giving him minutes with Martial?

I would say both which means that maybe the better option was to put Martial on the field a bit earlier?

I get his point but I find the comment rather strange because if there's one pair in our attack that have natural chemistry, it is Rashford and Martial.

It's been like this for the longest, despite how often one of them has been missing through injury.

If a player is not injury prone, is not showing signs of fatigue, and is an important player, he is usually kept on the pitch for most of the 90 minutes. You can check how often Haaland is taken off before 90 minutes or similarly Saka in the PL.
Managers will not let these low probability events influence their decision making, especially when the game is just at 2-0. Thats why this criticism of Rashford not being substituted or Casemiro not brought off is classic hindsight crazy talk for me. A manager cannot base his decisions on such low probability events else he will always be second guessing himself.
Additionally, whenever there has been a situation that has warranted taking a more risk appropriate approach, Ten Hag has shown that he is not afraid to do that. Varane for example is injury prone and is adequately rested, even for PL games. Martial similarly is not being rushed back even though we are light up front.

Injuries can happen at any time to anybody. It could have happened in the first minute. It is not the managers fault.

By the same rationale then he should not blame the FA for the fixture planning either. But he does.

And your point is rather silly. The game is not won at the first minute. But it is won on 75 minutes, when you’re 2-0 up against a dreadful Everton. And medical research clearly shows that chances of muscular injury increase over the duration of games, with most injuries occurring in the last quarter of the game. So while you can get injured in the first or the 80th minute, the probability of the latter happening is orders of magnitude higher.

If you do not rest and protect your most valuable players (the ones who also have the most minutes on the clock over the season) when you have the chance to do it, but then lash out at the FA for not doing it for you, then all you’ll get is eye rolls.

By the same rationale then he should not blame the FA for the fixture planning either. But he does.

And your point is rather silly. The game is not won at the first minute. But it is won on 75 minutes, when you’re 2-0 up against a dreadful Everton. And medical research clearly shows that chances of muscular injury increase over the duration of games, with most injuries occurring in the last quarter of the game. So while you can get injured in the first or the 80th minute, the probability of the latter happening is orders of magnitude higher.

If you do not rest and protect your most valuable players (the ones who also have the most minutes on the clock over the season) when you have the chance to do it, but then lash out at the FA for not doing it for you, then all you’ll get is eye rolls.
His point on FA was bang on because it was unnecessary that we played 3 games in 6 days even when there was an opportunity to give us an extra rest day. And even if he had taken off Rashford, the same injury could have been experienced by Bruno or Martinez or Sancho or Sabitzer or who ever else he did not substitute and started on Sunday & Wednesday. He cannot rotate the entire 11, especially at this time of the season.

I don't think it's on the FA or Ten Hag. It's just football. If you want to be at a top club and win everything, you play a lot of games. If you want to be paid 200 grand+ a week you better believe you will have to play a lot of games and drive revenue, you're not getting that at a club that doesn't compete in more games than average clubs.

I think we just have to get on with it and find solutions in the squad. No use crying over this type of thing, or start throwing blame around for something that can't be predicted when and how it will happen or play the expert in hindsight.

If Ten Hag is such a great manager then how come he didn't warn me that the pizza in my oven was ready? fecking burnt the edges, thanks Erik.

If Ten Hag is such a great manager then how come he didn't warn me that the pizza in my oven was ready? fecking burnt the edges, thanks Erik.
Priorities Pidge, he can't do everything simultaneously. First world peace, then the Tories, then your pizza.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.