Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
That sort of naivety will kill us. I get it, he wants us to play our game regardless, but we’re not yet at the level where we can go to these grounds and dictate proceedings. Even under Ferguson/when we were dominant we used to take a more conservative approach in these games.

I hope Ten Hag realises that soon.

Not sure there was much "naivety" in that first half.
If anything we were slightly on top, comfortably dealing with their attacks and having a couple of decent ones ourselves.

One bit of bad positioning opened us up and it seemed to utterly kill the plan.

It's not like we went gung ho to any level in the second half either. So talk of us pitching up as if we wanted to take the game on is way off the mark.

Bruno on the left wing and weghorst at 10 was just weird in such a big game. I think the weghorst signing has caused as much harm than good.
Also, the players looked tired, which is to be expected after all the games we’ve played.

If you were in ETHs position this morning what would you be thinking? What actions would you be taking?

Given the run we were on coming into this, I don't think he'll go with the iron fist approach. The players had been responding to him, playing *for* him and the fans. Something snapped in their brains after the 2nd goal and they lost all sense of self, lost all focus on the task at hand. I think he'll want to figure that out rather than simply beat them into submission. They've played 2x a week for 11 weeks. They're clearly physically and mentally drained. But he needs to figure out who he can reignite and who are not worth the effort because there is still a lot of season left.

There has to be some introspection on his part as well. The tactics were not correct nor did he adjust accordingly for the the key situations, especially for 1-0 at HT or at 3-0.

But from what we've seen this year, I am confident he and his staff can handle it.

What is done cannot be undone. Put that in the past. What's most important now is how we comeback from it. Hope the progress we made for the last few months won't be out of the window.

This is such a devastating defeat and it's very hard to comeback from it. The confidence is crushed. Hope ETH and the team will find a way

It totally flattered them. Most of the goals were an absolute comedy roadshow, and it's not like they had loads of other near misses, great saves by De Gea and the like.
It was one of those score every chance type jobs.
Yeah agree with that, but they could have still scored more too! We were mauled in that second half

Saying something should not be happening, when it was already previously happening doesn't change a thing, its something the manager needs to address but it won't happen overnight, it will come.
Main thing to me is big games away from home against rivals, we need to be a lot better.
Obviously, saying that doesn't change it but it's a big worry if you are a team that has form for capitulating or for consistently giving away goals in the early stage of halves. I seem to recall conceding after half time on several occasions this season.

It's about routing out the causes and learning from it to prevent it happening again. Don't want to label some of it a hangover from last season even though a lot of the personnel are the same. I note there seems to be a bit of arrogance it, maybe complacency about this team when they get plaudits/are expected to win in a big game.

It's frustrating that we probably won't get a chance to see if they've learnt from it this season as we've played city, liverpool and arsenal twice now. City in a cup semi/final would be an opportunity to so.

For all the moaning about squad depth, you have to remember that we were denied the opportunity to add significantly to the squad in January while only being given loan signings. While ETH has done wonders with what he has , there must be some difficult conversations had about yesterday. I would expect that a good chunk of the ire and frustration that we feel today is directed at the owners and board for ignoring the manager's needs and not strengthening the squad properly to see out the rest of the season in light of the club's expectations.
100%

It's a lot more than 3pts, football is more than simple points. It's about the possible effect of this result in future games, it's about pride and self esteem. There is something fundamentally wrong with losing 7-0 against your biggest rival.

yes, there could be a knock on effect but that comes down to the players and manager. do they have the pride and self esteem to stand up for getting thrashed and not let it carry into the next match.

but football is just simple points, 3 for a win, 1 for a draw and 0 for a loss. you don't get negative points for getting thrashed. these guys have played 21 times since the world cup ended, more than any other club in europe. they were bound to take a match on the chin at some point to kind of wake them up instead of being in that playing every 3 day routine.

Even during our prime under Ferguson, can you name 1-2 matches where we were the better team at Anfield?. Granted I have been watching since 1998, but I don't recollect such instances if any.

Yeah we didn't. But that's why if we go toe to toe at Anfield it would mean we have a great team.

He went all Pep mode in a big CL game. Overthinking.

Couldn't believe we set up the way we did. Weghorst is clouding his judgement.
Yeah, Wout is his Fellaini/Lingard/McTominay. Every manager, not just ours, has one player who always/often plays but we (fans) don't know why is that.

It totally flattered them. Most of the goals were an absolute comedy roadshow, and it's not like they had loads of other near misses, great saves by De Gea and the like.
It was one of those score every chance type jobs.

I mean the ball randomly fell to Salah in the box from McT deflection and he swivels and shoots with his right foot....

And then for his second the ball again deflects and falls to him...

That result has made reality hit that he is not going to be pep/klopp levels of managerial ability

Yeah we didn't. But that's why if we go toe to toe at Anfield it would mean we have a great team.
So did we have a great team when we beat them under LvG?
Let’s just win at Anfield first, or just score a goal there again before we start talking about unnecessary going toe to toe at Anfield.

That result has made reality hit that he is not going to be pep/klopp levels of managerial ability

I mean that should've been fairly obvious all along. They're two historic managers.

It's why we shouldn't be too married to him. There's a bunch of managers in that category below Klopp and Pep, that could do a job at the right time for a few years.

Klopp has lost 5-0 and 4-0 to Guardiola's City but still has a lifetime record of 12-5-10 against Pep. Ten Hag has beaten them both at home and lost to both away. He may never get to that level but nothing about his start suggests he can't compete

Is it really that difficult for people not to type out the dumbest most instant thought that enters their brain?

A Klopp team let in 7 goals against Aston Villa two seasons ago.

This. I remember Fergie losing 6-1 to City as well.

What we need to do is learn from this, it was a freak result in my eyes. How many teams score 7 from 8 shots on target.

Lets review this in 2 weeks after we have played a few more games.

This. I remember Fergie losing 6-1 to City as well.

What we need to do is learn from this, it was a freak result in my eyes. How many teams score 7 from 8 shots on target.

Lets review this in 2 weeks after we have played a few more games.

Yep not much difference between letting in 6 or 7. Horrific performances obviously but an unlucky deflection or a bad bounce can make it 7 instead of 6, or save you from letting in a 7th. Doesn't really change what the manager has achieved in the majority of their other games.

The thing which scares me a bit is the fact that despite having some proven winners and fighters in this team, we gave up again after result was out of reach.
And that is the only thing which will make me worried next time against Pool or City. 10 more minutes yesterday and it would be 10:0.

I don't think he'll go with the iron fist approach

He pretty much blamed the players and seems to taken no responsibility for this. Got Mourinho vibes from it. But he should really be looking in the mirror when he's down 2-0 and insists on Rashford at CF, Bruno at LW and Weghorst at 10. Was very clear after 3-0 he should have seen it wasn't our day and closed up shop and went defensive with something like

--------------------Rashford
--------------------Sabitzer
Shaw--Casemiro-McTominay-Dalot

Malacia--Martinez-Varane---AWB

Yep not much difference between letting in 6 or 7. Horrific performances obviously but an unlucky deflection or a bad bounce can make it 7 instead of 6, or save you from letting in a 7th. Doesn't really change what the manager has achieved in the majority of their other games.

I actually think we all needed this too. We need a reminder to stop us going overboard and remember, there are players with weak mentality in our squad that need to be replaced.

We need greater quality in our squad depth, playing the same players since the WC starting was never sustainable. Its been coming in the last few weeks where adrenaline has taken us through Barca and cup final.

We are 7 months into Ten Hag's tenure, things will get better.

The difference is, in the last 2 years when we have had bad results, I have found it difficult to see where next, this time I am calm, I know Ten Hag will sort this out.

The first half was even at best though. Not even the most deluded Scouser would have seen that coming.

We've had much earlier onslaughts before. I was in the Arsenal end at the Emirates one year when we were 3-0 down after about 15mins. That could have ended at anything, but eased down luckily.

Yeah I think we may have actually been the better team until the goal. We collapsed after two quick blows, and we've done that every time this occurred this season, which makes me think if they'd come earlier in the game the extent of our defeat would have been even more prominent. I do honestly believe we are going to ship 10 goals to somebody at some point if things don't change, there have been way too many cases over the last few years where we've allowed ourselves to be on the ropes to an extent that no other top team in history has ever allowed.

People worry far too much about those 7 goals. I think they're confusing their own social embarrassment with what this means for United - which isn't too much.

If you step back a bit, a loss at Anfield is pretty always acceptable (not ideal, but acceptable), and this one came with a decent first half in which United were unlucky to be behind, followed by a poor second half. That happens, nothing crazy.

Of course, it did get to 7-0 and that's a bit extreme, but it's a fairly simple question for Ten Hag to address: why did the players lose their mental composure, and abandon his principles and rules? It's not the first time this has happened either, their have been various parts of games with similar situations - except with an opponent that pounced on that and made it worse.

So his task is to find a way to improve his players' steel and consistency. And if you want to be optimistic about things, this game may even have made that easier: previously, United won or drew games where that happened anyway, so the issue may have felt exaggerated to the players. This time, they certainly won't think that.

Other than that, the players shouldn't see this as a burden. That achieves nothing. The next match starts at 0-0 and needs to be approached as rigorously and composed as always. Overcompensating because yesterday was bad won't achieve anything, quite the opposite.

That's a sack worthy performance in any normal season tbh.

But in his defence this isn't a normal season at all. We've played 21 games in 2 months because FIFA and Qatar are as bent as a nine bob note. We also won a trophy last week.

This can't be repeated though. Any United team can lose at City and Liverpool but we shouldn't be getting battered by them. He needs to realise this isn't the Dutch League. We can't go everywhere and play so openly.

I'm surprised there are people who would be willing to sack a manager over one game. A historically bad performance but you sack managers for a string of bad performances. That was a freak 45 minutes.

He pretty much blamed the players and seems to taken no responsibility for this. Got Mourinho vibes from it. But he should really be looking in the mirror when he's down 2-0 and insists on Rashford at CF, Bruno at LW and Weghorst at 10. Was very clear after 3-0 he should have seen it wasn't our day and closed up shop and went defensive with something like

--------------------Rashford
--------------------Sabitzer
Shaw--Casemiro-McTominay-Dalot

Malacia--Martinez-Varane---AWB
Come on now...four fullbacks!? The likes of Shaw and Martinez, and even Varane and Casemiro and DDG...their heads were gone at that point. You think they were about to put in a shift then and cling on for a 3-0 loss? This wasn't a cup tie.

Ten Hag fecked up, yes. And he has in the past too. But he's responded by changing his tactics to get more out of the best players. This may be the kick up the ass he needs to force him to get more out of the rest of the squad in order to get more out of his best players the rest of the way.

Back to basics time for ETH. Get players back in their best positions. Weghorst up front, Rashford left and Bruno No.10.

Too much messing about from him yesterday.

So did we have a great team when we beat them under LvG?
Let’s just win at Anfield first, or just score a goal there again before we start talking about unnecessary going toe to toe at Anfield.

Fair point

just crazy people are actually saying to sack EtH over this game. So many of the goals were just down to stupid individual mistakes and players losing their heads. But what do you expect i guess people love to go to the extremes.

That sort of naivety will kill us. I get it, he wants us to play our game regardless, but we’re not yet at the level where we can go to these grounds and dictate proceedings. Even under Ferguson/when we were dominant we used to take a more conservative approach in these games.

I hope Ten Hag realises that soon.
Nonsense. Klopp went to City early in his tenure and got smashed 5/0. I remember a dominant powerful Bayern side under Pep getting humiliated 4/0 at home to Real. These managers played their game and continued to do so afterwards. Our own Fergie played the best team of its era in a CL final with a pro active approach even if it meant a midfield of Carrick, Park, Valencia and Giggs. It was 3/1 but was probably one of the most one sided batterings we ever had, more so than the 6/1 to City. Top pro active managers get so much out of their teams but in exchange, they do have these freakish days when out of miscalculation or misfortune, everything that can go bad, does go bad on the day. It hurts that for us it happened at the worst ground possible against the worst opponent possible and the scoreline was really freakish with 7 goals out of 8 shots but it's no different than the aforementioned examples when it's just a horrible, horrible day at the office.

Status
Not open for further replies.