Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well we don't have a striker, and our squad is still bloated and paper thin. Honestly after Brentford away I am amazed we are in 3rd, even taking account of rivals playing poorly. I think you can overstate the manager's influence, but it would be unfair not to say we look like we are going in the right direction.

Of course we’re headed in the right direction, but a lot of people have been getting very carried away in recent weeks about him.

Make a list of Utds 20 greatest seasons and this one wont make that list. The word great has meaning. This season isnt a great season on what we have done so far. It might become a great season if we win a couple more cups but right now its not a great season, a good season relative to where we were but absolutely not great. thats not hard to comp[rehend.

Would it help if we add the phrase "relative to where we've been" on the end?

Exactly this. We probably should have been up at the break. Then after half time the players absolutely lost it all over the pitch. One thing I will say is that it was odd that we seemed to be still trying to be so attacking at 4 down. We should have shut up shop at that point and avoided it getting any worse.

I dunno. With hindsight, the late goals against City were kind of a turning point. Even when you’re getting smashed if you win the final period of the game it gives you something to bring with you to the next one. And the last few goals weren’t conceded due to throwing too many men forward anyway. So it’s not as though a more defensive approach would have helped much.

Klopp has been done several times.

Yeah, Villa put 7 past them while they were pretty much in the middle of their pomp.

It does happen, but as a manager he's got massive work in front of him to avoid the kind of capitulation we saw under Ole and Rangnick last year. We've got good league position and decent cup draws, just needs to properly get us back on the horse.

Depressing. Carabao Cup win seems like scant reward after performance and result like that. Defending for the 2nd goal was pathetic and Liverpool looked like scoring on every attack in the 2nd half.

He said it's all of them. Collectively stopped tracking back. Left back 4 exposed horrendously.

De Gea letting every shot in didn't help for sure. Useless from him.

All of them probably were, but there are varying degrees and he'll probably consider that when selecting his next team because it is downright impossible to drop every single one of them.

What shot could he stop ffs?! Perhaps Firmino's
Gakpo's 1st he didn't bother but ok hard anyway.
Gakpo's 2nd - how do you get chipped from there? Firminos shot goes right through him. He may as well have not showed up today as he didn't stop anything. 7 goals from 3.6 xG on target. He didn't get close to anything today. Wouldn't have made a difference, but he definitely played his part in making it look this bad.

Not sure who needs clearing out of the 11 who started today though. That was our best lineup bar Martial up front. And arguably Eriksen in for Fred. Although you probably wouldn't start with Eriksen today.

However, if the sale of the club does go through, you'd back Ten Hag to do wonders.

I think there’s still question marks over Dalot who could be replaced, same goes for Fred, obviously Weghorst won’t be waiting here so a quality striker needs to be brought in and as good as De Gea has been his lack of ball playing ability and commanding of his box causes us so many problems when trying to play out from the back, so he’ll potentially be replaced sooner rather than later as well. I just hope he gets the necessary backing in the summer to really make us a force and cut out these embarrassing defeats that have become a regular occurrence for us now.

If he had a top CF to help Rashford with the goals then today we may well have been going into halftime leading the game. The second half was a joke though and I keep thinking about Fergie’s fury when we conceded 6 against City. Things like this can’t happen.

No way Gakpo's second should go in from that angle. He has to be saving at least a couple of those shots. He basically let in every shot that was on target.
That happens as a keeper.

He's not saving either Nunez header, nor both of Salah's so that's four goals he can't save.

Gakpo's first he's unsighted, that's five, the Firmino one is unlucky tbh finishes between his legs from close range and Gakpo's second is a clipped finish which just goes in.

Gakpo's 1st he didn't bother but ok hard anyway.
Gakpo's 2nd - how do you get chipped from there?
Most players don't attempt a chip at that angle. He went low expecting a shot like 99% of the time. It just about went over his shoulder.

Yeah, Villa put 7 past them while they were pretty much in the middle of their pomp.

It does happen, but as a manager he's got massive work in front of him to avoid the kind of capitulation we saw under Ole and Rangnick last year. We've got good league position and decent cup draws, just needs to properly get us back on the horse.
Voice of reason. I’ll put this in the «shit happens» column. How we react next game is what’s important now imo.

I dunno. With hindsight, the late goals against City were kind of a turning point. Even when you’re getting smashed if you win the final period of the game it gives you something to bring with you to the next one. And the last few goals weren’t conceded due to throwing too many men forward anyway. So it’s not as though a more defensive approach would have helped much.
Maybe I need to go back and rewatch but it felt as though we kept getting caught with our midfield bypassed, our fullbacks out of position and nobody tracking back to help.

Agree re the 'go out and win the second half' mentality but at a certain point I do think pragmatism and needing to protect the strides forward (mentally) the team has made has to come into play.

Make a list of Utds 20 greatest seasons and this one wont make that list. The word great has meaning. This season isnt a great season on what we have done so far. It might become a great season if we win a couple more cups but right now its not a great season, a good season relative to where we were but absolutely not great. thats not hard to comp[rehend.

This is such a lazy take on it...(I guess now it's easy to understand why you consider xG stupid :lol: )

You need to understand the context of it.
Yes, we are Manchester United. The biggest club in England and probably top 3 in the world behind Real Madrid and Barcelona...but just look at the last 10 years, like another poster said. More specifically, look at last season...you don't need to look further than that.

Also, look at the competition...City, Arsenal and Liverpool all have good squads and great managers...ten Hag is also there on that level, but has a significantly weaker and thinner squad. It's difficult to say "give him time" after all the managerial failures of the last 10 years, but he is actually the one that should be given exactly that and just let him keep building.

Honestly we've been riding our luck for a while now. I'm often accused of pessimism or negativity, but I genuinely don't think we've been playing well for a while now, and said as much before the game today. Yes we've ground out results and shown resilience and heart. But we've been outplayed by a number of pretty average teams in the first half, and it's simply not sustainable to keep winning when we can't control possession and we only have one reliable goalscorer.

The other thing is that we played without Casemiro tonight as he was terrible from the first minute and didn't look fit or focused, and without him we're basically back to Rangnick FC. Getting a good backup to him has to be a massive priority for us in the summer.

He's still a bit raw and naive, but it's his first season in the PL so still learning.

I am still 100% behind him. He's done an amazing job with these bunch of bottlers. He's had a bad day at the office too, imo, but what they've done today... utterly unacceptable. Punishments are warranted.

Hopefully this will help the Glazers head for the exit door…

anyone complaining about Ten Hag needs their head read. The players are knackered and that was also just a very bad day. Everything went in for Liverpool.. reminded me of when we battered Roma

He's still a bit raw and naive, but it's his first season in the PL so still learning.

Yeah a more mature manager would have parked the bus at 3-0.
A good reality check for the players, fans and the manager

Heavily lost and humiliated, yes but it’s just 3 points. We’ve been here before. But move on. Continue with the rebuilding. For me, it’s never about winning this game. It’s about building a squad capable of seriously challenging for the title in 2-3 seasons. What ETH has done so far is remarkable. Don’t let this one off game curtailed our upward progress of the last months. Dust it off. The journey is long.

This Liverpool team under Klopp even in the form they’re in are one of the best teams in a long time at doing what they did today. Just clinical chance taking machine. They smelt blood and wiped the floor with us.

First half it was a neck and neck game but they scored so we fell behind already.

Second half we completely capitulated but still overall we only conceded 2.91 xG.

Yes, we deserved to lose today but it's literally proven by the numbers that 7-0 doesn't at all reflect the true picture...unless they expect ETH to enter the pitch and stop the goals by himself.

These fecking idiotic reactions are so embarrassing, even more so if you refresh your memory and remember that both Pep and Klopp have gotten their asses beat in similar fashion both in the PL and other competitions too in their careers.
Oh, we won the xG game, did we? Talk about embarrasing.

He’s earned the right for this to be swept under the rug for now. There are clear weaknesses in the team and I think he’s done well to mostly mask them so far this season.

This summer we have to find a GK, RB, CM and CF with the latter being absolutely paramount.

He’s earned the right for this to be swept under the rug for now. There are clear weaknesses in the team and I think he’s done well to mostly mask them so far this season.

This summer we have to find a GK, RB, CM and CF with the latter being absolutely paramount.
Yup those four are key.

Did we ever fine players for such a terrible performance? Or is it genuinely a no no thing to do? Just wondering.

If we did fine them after every hammering we could afford to buy some players with the money saved. :D

Nothing is going to be swept under the rug.He won’t do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.