Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the criteria for the new owners must be to keep him.

If the new owners are both canny and keen fans of the club, maybe they should push hard to speed up the deal, or raise the offer with an agreement to make funds available for a couple of players this transfer window, to strengthen what is already happening this season

If the new owners are both canny and keen fans of the club, maybe they should push hard to speed up the deal, and make funds available for a couple of players this transfer window, to strengthen what is already happening this season
You're living in fantasy land if you think that's going to happen

So what hapned after that Brentford match. He shouted at them and went for a run with them, and they all said "OK we'll try harder" ?

Whatever it was he could write a business management or man management book on it, because something happened and it was revolutionary for us.

It has been the most extra-ordinary turn-a-round, and example of change management.
Quite easy to improve - and improve phenomenally - from the rock bottom. It's the somewhat functioning dysfunctional systems that are harder to fix. That's why Steve Jobs could come into apple a second time and completely revamp the focus of the flailing giant. Obviously, most teams in a crisis continue to spiral deeper into crisis, so credit to the players and the manager both.

I didn't 'miss' his point since he didn't make one. The manager needs players on top of what we got in the summer if we are to really challenge.

Implying we should be challenging for the league with one half-decent transfer window (I don't look at money but quality and number of players brought in given the gaps before you begin with the £Xm) is bloody ridiculous and trying to make out as if what he's doing is expected and 'on target' is one the most cynical arguments anyone can make.

Btw, we didn't buy Eriksen, we got him on the cheap, so I don't know why people include him in this supposed amazing summer window.

Im sorry but this had me proper laughing out loud.

Do agree though absolutely nobody thought we would be challenging at the time in fact i remember even top 4 being quite a controversial demand despite the money that was spent. Its not like previous managers didn't buy good players, what we are witnessing now is buying the "right" players AND good coaching. Otherwise you don't explain the significant improvement of AWB, Dalot, Fred, Rashford, Shaw etc.

Last edited:
You mean like Martinez, Casemiro, Eriksen, and Antony? I reckon we could challenge for the top 2-3 in the league with those players.
Haha. Never thought it has to be spelt out for some of you. BACKED IN JANUARY. JANUARY. NOW when we have a good chance of silverware if the team is strengthened. Why the hell would I say he was not backed in the summer, albeit players were signed about two months later than he actually wanted them? And Am sick of people making statements as if January is not a transfer window at all, quality players are not moving at all. Feck me.

He is spoiling the fans at the minute.

I would say they are far too many games for the current squad to maintain the winning run required to catch Arsenal,

But Barca might do United a favour by kicking them out of the EL.

But whatever happens it’s nice to have the league not completely out of reach like previous years.

Yeah much like others I expected more of a battle to finish in top 4,however we are looking more confident so maybe Europa exit could give us much needed rest

20_07_12_56f92d39371dd40c71190699074192c5_690.jpg
He used to look like that back in the days so it's normal

Arsenal win would be huge but I still think their consistency is too good for us. But we are flying now so it's the best time to play them probably. I'd rather win against Arsenal than Barca in Europa League. Especially if we are confident to get top 4.
Beat Arsenal and we start thinking about a title race. Arsenal have to play City twice and I can't remember the last time they beat City.

Game by game. First big test is Palace. If we dont beat them Arsenal game wont matter that much. But if we do and then do Arsenal we're in a title race, on the outside but in it.

I was desperate for us to get him and was over the moon when he came but even I didn't expect this turnaround so quickly. The attitude and culture he has instilled after 6 months or so plus the standards he is setting are dragging us upwards and onwards. Once he has his squad set, I cannot wait to see what he can achieve. And we might yet have a fantastic season right now too. So exciting :devil:

I was desperate for us to get him and was over the moon when he came but even I didn't expect this turnaround so quickly. The attitude and culture he has instilled after 6 months or so plus the standards he is setting are dragging us upwards and onwards. Once he has his squad set, I cannot wait to see what he can achieve. And we might yet have a fantastic season right now too. So exciting :devil:
We're going places mate. :drool:

If we get De Jong, it will be champagne football next season, he’s the missing piece, he is exceptional. Adding Kane would be drool worthy also and I actually think he would push for a move. Awb will displace Dalot by the end of the season. I’ve said his attacking game is underrated I think we will see him improve now.

——————De Gea———————
AWB—Varane—Martinez-Shaw

————Casemiro——De Jong—
Antony———-Bruno——Rashford
——————-Kane—————————

Ericksen, Sancho, Garnacho, Fred, Diallo, Dalot, NEW CF, Malacia, Maguire Mctominay.

Martial, Lindelof sold.

It’s not even a big ask two sign Kane and De Jong in one window given the circumstances. Hopefully Antony and Sancho improves considerably aswell.

We will compete in all competitions with that squad.

Yep, alot of fans last season were saying, why hire an interim, Conte was available and other managers.

However; credit to Manchester United, they clearly identified Ten Hag as the man, he was not leaving mid season from Ajax.

If we hired a coach who wanted to be permanent manager, an Ole situation might have transpired where they do well and had to give them the job.

Evidence from clubs is there, hire a top coach and that so called "3 year rebuild" claims are rubbish.

Newcastle this time last season were getting out of relegation, are now in a title race. United the same, Chelsea when Tuchel took over, Liverpool when Klopp took over.

Get a top top coach.

We're going places mate. :drool:

:drool: :devil:

Yep, alot of fans last season were saying, why hire an interim, Conte was available and other managers.

However; credit to Manchester United, they clearly identified Ten Hag as the man, he was not leaving mid season from Ajax.

If we hired a coach who wanted to be permanent manager, an Ole situation might have transpired where they do well and had to give them the job.

Evidence from clubs is there, hire a top coach and that so called "3 year rebuild" claims are rubbish.

Newcastle this time last season were getting out of relegation, are now in a title race. United the same, Chelsea when Tuchel took over, Liverpool when Klopp took over.

Get a top top coach.

Absolutely, credit where it is due and he was absolutely worth waiting for. Just shows the difference a great manager can make even in a short time.

Absolutely, credit where it is due and he was absolutely worth waiting for. Just shows the difference a great manager can make even in a short time.

Yep, I remember clearly there was a massive contingent of United fans who wanted Conte, worried when he went to Spurs but some of those fans looked at results.

Conte has always played Jose football, he is literally Jose 2.0 with less success. Throwing his toys out, relies on players rather than able to coach them.

Ten Hag is someone who played attractive football and I am so glad he is our manager. You can see there is already a connection with him and the fans, OT is the loudest its been for a while.

I wont lie, Ten Hag has actually surprised me, I thought he will come in and do what Pep did, play his football, we saw it against Brentford, passing out the back and making mistakes. Pep in his first season did that which led to some poor results.

Ten Hag learnt early, Brentford and City, since then we went away to Leiceter and Southampton and got 1-0 wins playing more Ole ball, sit back and counter. He is gradually bringing his style, yet getting results.

They are playing better than us. Completely controlling games. That's the key imo. They have come together at the right season.
They didn't control the 2nd half against Spurs at all. Ramsdale was in god mode, on another day it could have easily been 2-2.

He is doing a fantastic job. I don't think we'll compete for the title this year, but I absolutely think that, given the right resources, Ten Hag is capable of building a team that can challenge for, and perhaps win, a Premier League title.

Yep, I remember clearly there was a massive contingent of United fans who wanted Conte, worried when he went to Spurs but some of those fans looked at results.

Conte has always played Jose football, he is literally Jose 2.0 with less success. Throwing his toys out, relies on players rather than able to coach them.

Ten Hag is someone who played attractive football and I am so glad he is our manager. You can see there is already a connection with him and the fans, OT is the loudest its been for a while.

I wont lie, Ten Hag has actually surprised me, I thought he will come in and do what Pep did, play his football, we saw it against Brentford, passing out the back and making mistakes. Pep in his first season did that which led to some poor results.

Ten Hag learnt early, Brentford and City, since then we went away to Leiceter and Southampton and got 1-0 wins playing more Ole ball, sit back and counter. He is gradually bringing his style, yet getting results.

Great point, the connection and atmosphere between all staff players and fans is amazing the now.

Get a top top coach.

I think the club gets plenty of shit and rightly so at times given how we have operated.

That said what you mention here really can’t be stressed enough.

Under Murtough and Arnold we have totally restructured the recruitment set up and parted company with a number of staff members who simply hadn’t delivered.

Not only that, but as you rightly point out, they took a very structured view on appointing the new manager running a transparent process which was heavily criticised by many due to how long it took and the fact Fletcher and Murtough were both involved.

They weren’t rushed into appointing someone and to give them time to complete the lengthy process were happy to get an interim coach in place.

We all know Rangnick didn’t work out and ideally he’d have got us CL football ready for the new manager. That said in doing what they did they allowed us to conduct a thorough process and get a top candidate to suit a long term vision. Short term pain for hopefully long term gain so to speak.

The first time the club has really worked to something long term in many years. They then got exactly what Ten Hag wanted in terms of his set up by acquiring the services of both McClaren and MvG. This was costly but they did it.

I appreciate the transfer window didn’t run smoothly but given the overhaul in recruitment it was clear the new set up would need time to bare its fruits and in the meantime this would be a ‘go with what you know’ style window.

Overall I’m encouraged by what we are doing both on and off the pitch and simply hope we get some solid owners in before the summer so we can really build on this.

They didn't control the 2nd half against Spurs at all. Ramsdale was in god mode, on another day it could have easily been 2-2.

They're so fecking overrated and having the Liverpool luck, it's actually hilarious.

Last edited:
I think the club gets plenty of shit and rightly so at times given how we have operated.

That said what you mention here really can’t be stressed enough.

Under Murtough and Arnold we have totally restructured the recruitment set up and parted company with a number of staff members who simply hadn’t delivered.

Not only that, but as you rightly point out, they took a very structured view on appointing the new manager running a transparent process which was heavily criticised by many due to how long it took and the fact Fletcher and Murtough were both involved.

They weren’t rushed into appointing someone and to give them time to complete the lengthy process were happy to get an interim coach in place.

We all know Rangnick didn’t work out and ideally he’d have got us CL football ready for the new manager. That said in doing what they did they allowed us to conduct a thorough process and get a top candidate to suit a long term vision. Short term pain for hopefully long term gain so to speak.

The first time the club has really worked to something long term in many years. They then got exactly what Ten Hag wanted in terms of his set up by acquiring the services of both McClaren and MvG. This was costly but they did it.

I appreciate the transfer window didn’t run smoothly but given the overhaul in recruitment it was clear the new set up would need time to bare its fruits and in the meantime this would be a ‘go with what you know’ style window.

Overall I’m encouraged by what we are doing both on and off the pitch and simply hope we get some solid owners in before the summer so we can really build on this.

Exactly, we are very quick to criticise but no one ever say well done. I get it, because its Fletcher and Murtough and not some fancy name doing it, fans dont want to praise them.

Like you say, short term pain for long term gain, that is exactly what it is, just look at Spurs. They started last season crap, got Conte, got excited, got top 4 and CL. A year on they have gone backwards and will be in the same place they were when they sacked Jose at the end of the season.

Even last January, so many fans complained we couldnt sign Rangnick a midfielder, I remember the outrage but why spend money on an interim manager and reduce the budget for the main man?

I really like how we operate, we have got the right man for the job and are backing him. There is clear evidence that the club 100% back Ten Hag. Maguire being 5th choice, people thought there was a clause in his contract that he had to play, selling Ronaldo and all the other choices, they are backing him.

No other United manager since SAF has been backed over a player.

Exactly, we are very quick to criticise but no one ever say well done. I get it, because its Fletcher and Murtough and not some fancy name doing it, fans dont want to praise them.

Like you say, short term pain for long term gain, that is exactly what it is, just look at Spurs. They started last season crap, got Conte, got excited, got top 4 and CL. A year on they have gone backwards and will be in the same place they were when they sacked Jose at the end of the season.

Even last January, so many fans complained we couldnt sign Rangnick a midfielder, I remember the outrage but why spend money on an interim manager and reduce the budget for the main man?

I really like how we operate, we have got the right man for the job and are backing him. There is clear evidence that the club 100% back Ten Hag. Maguire being 5th choice, people thought there was a clause in his contract that he had to play, selling Ronaldo and all the other choices, they are backing him.

No other United manager since SAF has been backed over a player.

I think we agree wholeheartedly on this.

I just wish we had been run better sooner and had funds to give Ten Hag this window. Even if it was just for one quality signing to help with the volume of fixtures we have. I’m hoping the return of Sancho could be like a new signing..

That said we can’t be ungrateful. No one expected us to be in all competitions and in the top 4 at this point.

If we can get CL football back and sneak a trophy I’ll be delighted and my expectations for this season exceeded. The bigger picture simply has to be CL football and new ownership. Anything else would be a huge bonus.

It’s easy to get carried away though so I do hope people think back to where we were 12 months ago before jumping on things when we inevitably get some bad results.

I just wish we had been run better sooner and had funds to give Ten Hag this window. Even if it was just for one quality signing to help with the volume of fixtures we have. I’m hoping the return of Sancho could be like a new signing..

That said we can’t be ungrateful. No one expected us to be in all competitions and in the top 4 at this point.

If we can get CL football back and sneak a trophy I’ll be delighted and my expectations for this season exceeded. The bigger picture simply has to be CL football and new ownership. Anything else would be a huge bonus.

It’s easy to get carried away though so I do hope people think back to where we were 12 months ago before jumping on things when we inevitably get some bad results.

Exactly, we can want for everything but lets be honest, we were not in CL and spent 200m in the summer, we were not going to spend too much more.

We can sign someone and go out the Europa league and then we have a bloated squad which impacts our summer activity. Like you said, no one expected us to be in this position, even if we dont fully challenge for the title, if we comfortably get top 4 and a trophy, that to me would be a very good season.

Afterall, most of us thought we will get 5th or 6th this season, the biggest thing for most United fans was come towards the end of season, we see Ten Hag's imprint on our play, we are seing that and that is one of the most positives this season.

The way he's got us defending is absolutely incredible, Martinez has barely kicked a ball since the World Cup and we've not even noticed, that's how good we've been.

Great post, been a roller coaster and Ten Hag has done brilliantly well. Top 4 and a trophy is a fantastic start.

His ability to get the best out of almost every player, and manage the time of those that in the past have struggled with injuries, has been bloody brilliant. When people point to other teams having injuries being why we're in the position we are now I often think "how many of those injuries are the manager's fault?"
We've had injuries of our own too, we've just managed them really well with squad options coming in and filling the role they've been asked to with little fuss.

He's a truly magnificent man isn't he.

Football knowledge, man-management, tactical acumen, sexual magnetism... he's got it all.

10 years ago there was no heh implemented in his vocabulary.

Feels strange not hearing him say it..

Especially considering Conte is many people’s preference, right?

No. People were saying go for Ten Hag if he is willing to come here and get Rangnick as interim. Conte was the second best option given the circumstances back then because people were not sure if Ten Hag would even want to come here. Club was in dire fecking straits during that time and Ten Hag was perhaps THE manager wonderkid that people expected every cub to go for. Thankfully, it turned out the way it did, but Ten Hag was always the first option in the majority of United's fans minds.

No. People were saying go for Ten Hag if he is willing to come here and get Rangnick as interim. Conte was the second best option given the circumstances back then because people were not sure if Ten Hag would even want to come here. Club was in dire fecking straits during that time and Ten Hag was perhaps THE manager wonderkid that people expected every cub to go for. Thankfully, it turned out the way it did, but Ten Hag was always the first option in the majority of United's fans minds.
100% majority of us wanted ETH, apart from a few who wanted poch. A lot of people was just desperate to get someone in so they wanted conte. ETH was always gonna join us because like he’s said we’re a monster of a club. There ain’t a club as big as us as far as the fan base goes. We’re huge and well supported around the world.

Johan Cruyff: "But it happens a lot, right, that a trainer yells. Or does that not happen with you guys?"

Erik ten Hag: "I think you should watch out that you don't yell to the youth too much, because you can break a player like that. But on a higher level, such as the first team of Ajax, you should be able to say something about it. Those guys train almost every day in the week. If they keep making the same mistakes, you should be able to confront them."

Cruyff: "So that means you differentiate between youth and paid football?"

Ten Hag: “Yes”

@Basa1987 you bastard :lol: just as I was clicking send

Right, so you want to re-write the narrative? I saw alot of people want Conte as first choice. So I decided to have a look.

When asked would you swallow last season if we end up with Ten Hag.

"Three problems with that:
1. Ten Hag might turn out to be a massive failure
2. He might not even want to come here
3. This season is wasted, might even miss out on top 4 as it stands. In fact, there is a very big chance of that.

We're not playing Football Manager. We're at a very high risk to be sent even further behind than we currently even are."

25th October 2021.

"Conte can transform this squad into a title winning one, i'm pretty sure of that. I've already given up on this season, he can come in, bring his trusted coaches as well, establish pattern of play, organize this shambles of a defence and then we wreck the bin clubs next year. If he has a meltdown with the Glazers after that, just sack him, I don't care. But at this point we need success and we won't find that sticking with Ole, that's for sure."

17th Oct 2021
"It's absurd to me some people are arguing they do not want Conte because he'd leave in 2-3 season. Well, if he wins us the PL and a couple of other trophies on the side, it doesn't really matter then, does it? We can replace him with a good manager afterwards. In opposite, if we remain with Ole, we'll have a couple of years wasted. We'd need to have another rebuild and we'd need another manager regardless. So what's the point of this argument? You can wait for some miraculous sign to come out of nowhere or you can just make the obvious choice and appoint a world class winner with a proven track record. The choice is obvious.

But I don't see the Glazers appointing either Zidane or Conte. They're not "Yes men" who'd keep quiet about the management and just be happy to be here, the type Glazers want. But it'd be the only good decision these idiots would make in the past decade, if they do it."

27th Oct 2021

"Meh, I prefer Conte over Hag, but Hag is nothing like Moyes. Hag is an attacking manager that has won trophies. Moyes sat 10 years at Everton, doing the same dour tactics which ultimately resulted in nothing. Just stability. He's got West Ham doing the same thing, but ultimately - that is his level"

Status
Not open for further replies.