Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
20_07_12_56f92d39371dd40c71190699074192c5_690.jpg
Sir Alex Charlton

I hope he's allowed to build on his good work with a couple of big summer signings next season. Something like the following would make us genuine contenders:

DDG
Dalot Varane Martinez Shaw
Bruno Casemiro De Jong
Antony Kane Rashford

:drool:

You mean like Martinez, Casemiro, Eriksen, and Antony? I reckon we could challenge for the top 2-3 in the league with those players.
Show me where you thought we were challenging for top 2 before the begining of the season, Nostradamus. Bloody hindsight merchants some of you.

Show me where you thought we were challenging for top 2 before the begining of the season, Nostradamus. Bloody hindsight merchants some of you.

You missed his point. The results that we currently see are with ETH being backed last summer.

Where did I claim that I said that before the season? The previous poster is claiming ETH has not been backed and is using a third string goalkeeper and loan striker as examples like those are the only signings we have made which is obviously false. Getting tiring hearing people complain about us not spending another 150 million this January when the club has already been making huge losses with the previous spending, and there is no one available even worth the money.

You missed his point. The results that we currently see are with ETH being backed last summer.
I didn't 'miss' his point since he didn't make one. The manager needs players on top of what we got in the summer if we are to really challenge.

Implying we should be challenging for the league with one half-decent transfer window (I don't look at money but quality and number of players brought in given the gaps before you begin with the £Xm) is bloody ridiculous and trying to make out as if what he's doing is expected and 'on target' is one the most cynical arguments anyone can make.

Btw, we didn't buy Eriksen, we got him on the cheap, so I don't know why people include him in this supposed amazing summer window.

Love that he brought Fred in yesterday, that's definitely going to be the way to go next weekend against Arsenal and in the games against Barca

Not only is he proving himself to be a clever tactician, he has also shown that he is a fantastic man-manager. Rashford, Shaw, Bruno (amongst others) have been exceptional this season and we have Ten Hag to thank for that.

I didn't 'miss' his point since he didn't make one. The manager needs players on top of what we got in the summer if we are to really challenge.

Implying we should be challenging for the league with one half-decent transfer window (I don't look at money but quality and number of players brought in given the gaps before you begin with the £Xm) is bloody ridiculous and trying to make out as if what he's doing is expected and 'on target' is one the most cynical arguments anyone can make.

Btw, we didn't buy Eriksen, we got him on the cheap, so I don't know why people include him in this supposed amazing summer window.

Lets make it simple. ETH was backed this summer with players that he wanted and the team improved tremendously. We don't need to wonder what would happen if he was backed, we already know because we are witnessing it.

It would be quite the story if he won the title in his first season, considering how low things sank last year. That said, I think we need to plug the gaps in CM and CF to get over the line.

Apart from Casemiro, every player who started yesterday was here last season! It’s not his signings, but his mentality and decision making which is moving us along. Long may it continue.
Also Eriksen and Malacia.
Are you now suggesting the summer window was not very good?

I get that people want more, but after the number of quality players United bought last summer and the cost it involved, I can't believe people are angrily talking about penny-pinching now.

I just hope that people aren't too hard on him/disheartened if/when the (I think inevitable) dropoff occurs. The squad is still one that is developing, flawed in places, with a lot of World Cup minutes in its legs. Top 4 would be a fantastic return and would set him up nicely for a really good season next time around.

But there's no doubt, this is the most genuine, sustainable progress we've seen since Fergie was the manager.

Lets make it simple. ETH was backed this summer with players that he wanted and the team improved tremendously. We don't need to wonder what would happen if he was backed, we already know because we are witnessing it.
god, it's real hard in these forums isn't it? We've gone from being a no-hope team to a potential title race in 6 months or so and people say this stuff!

god, it's real hard in these forums isn't it? We've gone from being a no-hope team to a potential title race in 6 months or so and people say this stuff!

What stuff? Isn't ETH doing a great job after being backed?

So if we signed Messi in the summer it wouldn't count because he would be a "free"

No I meant I was agreeing with you about your response to the point you were making

Ah yeah. It's extremely confusing, the club brought 5 key players, 4 are starters and improved the team, the other one has been a very valuable rotation player. And yet people are trying their best to build a negative story instead of enjoying the fact that the club backed ETH, ETH showed that it was a good thing and that he deserved it.

Ah yeah. It's extremely confusing, the club brought 5 key players, 4 are starters and improved the team, the other one has been a very valuable rotation player. And yet people are trying their best to build a negative story instead of enjoying the fact that the club backed ETH, ETH showed that it was a good thing and that he deserved it.
Well it's the world of FM - makes everyone an "expert" and all that xG crap which is little more than an expectation, not reality

So if we signed Messi in the summer it wouldn't count because he would be a "free"
What a relevant point that makes complete sense.

Meanwhile, the transfer window looked so good because we haven't bought a proper CDM since Carrick retired. Plugging huge first-team holes which have been there for years and is the fault of the club itself doesn't meant we have had an amazing window when we have finally addressed them.

An amazing window would have been if we brought in another midfielder and a striker which we clearly need. But by all means, continue having your little conversations and agreeing with each other, if that makes you sleep.

He’s an absolute wizard. I was optimistic when we got him but he has FAR exceeded my expectations. There’s even justified whispers of a title challenge which is unlikely but we are certainly contenders should Arsenal start to drop points.

Beat Arsenal and we’re genuinely in it. Not just from a points perspective but also mentally there will be a realisation that the unthinkable may just be possible.

Arsenal win would be huge but I still think their consistency is too good for us. But we are flying now so it's the best time to play them probably. I'd rather win against Arsenal than Barca in Europa League. Especially if we are confident to get top 4.

He is spoiling the fans at the minute.

I would say they are far too many games for the current squad to maintain the winning run required to catch Arsenal,

But Barca might do United a favour by kicking them out of the EL.

But whatever happens it’s nice to have the league not completely out of reach like previous years.

Would be perfect karma for Piers Morgan, if United won the league, not Arsenal, after the infamous Ronaldo interview.

What a relevant point that makes complete sense.

Meanwhile, the transfer window looked so good because we haven't bought a proper CDM since Carrick retired. Plugging huge first-team holes which have been there for years and is the fault of the club itself doesn't meant we have had an amazing window when we have finally addressed them.

An amazing window would have been if we brought in another midfielder and a striker which we clearly need. But by all means, continue having your little conversations and agreeing with each other, if that makes you sleep.
You are the one who is discounting Eriksen because he was a free transfer so he brought up another example and now you are saying it is irrelevant. Either free transfers count or they don't.

Yes we have failed to address issues in previous windows. That does not mean that when we do address them superbly (literally the best CDM in the world) those in charge don't deserve credit for it. The club purchased every major option he wanted this past summer bar FDJ. It is also difficult to spend a huge amount of money on a bunch of players and not have big misses, just look at the likes of Chelsea or even us in previous windows. You can criticize past decisions from the club/board and applaud correct decisions. Why not just judge everything on its own merit rather than take the most cynical point of view?

Not sure who you wanted us to sign to solve our striker situation given what we already spent on other crucial areas, but the club is not a money tree. Right wing was clearly a bigger priority given that we had Elanga playing most of the season there. We at least had Martial and Ronaldo for the striker spot to start the season.
The club also backed Ten Hag in the de Jong saga to the point that many were saying we did too much and should have told him to move on earlier. Yes we could use another midfielder, but we almost certainly will sign one in the summer. Once again, you cannot fix everything in one summer.

He is spoiling the fans at the minute.

I would say they are far too many games for the current squad to maintain the winning run required to catch Arsenal,

But Barca might do United a favour by kicking them out of the EL.

But whatever happens it’s nice to have the league not completely out of reach like previous years.
I don't know what's to say we haven't got it in us to catch arsenal what makes them so much better than us ?

You are the one who is discounting Eriksen because he was a free transfer so he brought up another example and now you are saying it is irrelevant. Either free transfers count or they don't.

Yes we have failed to address issues in previous windows. That does not mean that when we do address them superbly (literally the best CDM in the world) those in charge don't deserve credit for it. The club purchased every major option he wanted this past summer bar FDJ. It is also difficult to spend a huge amount of money on a bunch of players and not have big misses, just look at the likes of Chelsea or even us in previous windows. You can criticize past decisions from the club/board and applaud correct decisions. Why not just judge everything on its own merit rather than take the most cynical point of view?

Not sure who you wanted us to sign to solve our striker situation given what we already spent on other crucial areas, but the club is not a money tree. Right wing was clearly a bigger priority given that we had Elanga playing most of the season there. We at least had Martial and Ronaldo for the striker spot to start the season.
The club also backed Ten Hag in the de Jong saga to the point that many were saying we did too much and should have told him to move on earlier. Yes we could use another midfielder, but we almost certainly will sign one in the summer. Once again, you cannot fix everything in one summer.
Imagine we signed de Jong instead of casemiro I think we would be having a terrible season if that was the case thank god the idiot decided to stay in Barca

I don't know what's to say we haven't got it in us to catch arsenal what makes them so much better than us ?

9 point gap and United have a busier schedule of games coming up!

I’m just happy for United to compete, but to overhaul that gap whilst playing in 4 competitions is almost impossible.

Hence why I mentioned losing to Barca might be a blessing.

Last edited:

They are playing better than us. Completely controlling games. That's the key imo. They have come together at the right season.

So what hapned after that Brentford match. He shouted at them and went for a run with them, and they all said "OK we'll try harder" ?

Whatever it was he could write a business management or man management book on it, because something happened and it was revolutionary for us.

It has been the most extra-ordinary turn-a-round, and example of change management.

One of the criteria for the new owners must be to keep him.

How could that possibly be a pre-condition of sale ? The sellers, once they have sold, don't care what happens, and the buyers are not going to be told be the sellers how to run the club they have just paid maybe 2.5 billion pounds for.

Status
Not open for further replies.