Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope we get Kane, de Jong, a ball playing gk and possibly a rb next summer. Then we are cooking. I really think de Jong would do wonders to our midfield and would take it up a notch alongside Casemiro.
Yeah, that is exactly what we need. Exactly.

We might not get everything we want but I really feel that these elite players will look at what ETH is doing here and feel excited about being involved. He’s a leader that will inspire people to want to play for him.

That's £250m+, never happening. Not that I disagree with the names. Especially Costa and Osimhen

Except for the fact we will have new owners by the next transfer window. If even the likes of Boehly are willing to splash the cash (think he will have spent around £400 mil already if the Mudryk deal goes through), it's not out of the realm of possibility. The thing is that American consortiums can bring the money required to spend, the issue always comes down to if the owners will put the right people in charge and not interfere to squander the money. In the case of Chelsea it looks to be a disaster at the moment so we have to hope that doesn't happen to us.

The mentality in the team is 180 from what I've seen 1 year, even 6 months prior when everyone's playing with their heads dropped not giving a care going 5 goals down.

I know I'm jumping the gun here, but it's amazing to see to how much extent a good manager can transform a team. That's not even mentioning how successful ETH has been as a tactician. Of course there's still much work left to do, but the signs going forward are the most encouraging I've seen in years.

Last edited:
I'm with you on possession. Until we keep the ball better we won't be consistently winning trophies.

I know today we've won with very little of the ball and its brilliant, bit it doesn't work over the course of a season. You need the ball to win trophies.

ETH needs a couple of players who can move with the ball in tight areas. Those with the footwork to get out of tight spots.

I agree with you, but it's still a great gameplan against City and Arsenal, Ole pulled it off too multiple times. With Rashford up top and midfielders that can deliver absolute darts his way (Pogba had this ability as well) you're 100% going to get chances against these two teams. We were cocky against City the first time thinking we could play their game. We don't always have to. There's no shame in being the counter attacking side in games like these, because our defense is so solid now. City can pass it around all they want, they created feck all and still got punished.

I still remember those Real Madrid CL games against I believe Bayern between 2014-2016 where they absolutely destroyed them on the counter. If done right, it's so deadly. But of course we want to be a dominant possession based team against weaker opposition. It's just good to have a Plan B that works.

While most of us were getting euphoric over the win Erik is not happy due to that sloppy start to second half. I just love that he's demanding more even after a huge result. He is absolutely right we need to control games better and believe it will come in time when he has all the pieces.

I don’t post ever but it’s hard to not want to convey my admiration for what this man and his team are doing for this football club.
A manager with a winning philosophy and enough pragmatism to abolish some principles in the aim to win football matches. In terms of our football development we’re still in infancy compared to where he will want us in the next 2/3 years.

Brighton and Brentford have showed this season they are very solid football teams, those two games in hindsight now were an absolute blessing to tell this man what he was up against and what needed to be done. Almost every decision since those games has been spot on. Phasing out Maguire, releasing Ronaldo at the first opportunity. (Have to feel he had his hands tied with no Martial and Ronaldo being Ronaldo having to play him)
If I’m Jadon Sancho watching these last few weeks, I’m fecking chomping at the bit to get back involved in this football team. If he can come back and firing, will be like a new signing.
The introduction of the youth…this manager just gets it.

Haven’t heard the stadium like that since I can remember. The roar when Garnacho picked up the ball….then the goal…goosebumps.

Am avoiding any title talk whatsoever. Average result for Arsenal tomorrow and we win both games next week…then it’s unavoidable.
Have to feel some tiredness may creep in, Arsenal are probably a little more rested than us as a squad but for anyone that’s played football, when the confidence is high and there’s a real chance at something special, even at Sunday league level youl play Saturday/Wednesday on repeat for weeks on end with no fatigue. The players sense something brewing, by lord after today the fans are sensing something too and by god does it feel good.

Add weight in the hope of a positive new ownership and huge financial backing…. let’s not feck this up again United.

Erik Ten Hag: "I admire them both, Manchester City and Liverpool. They both play fantastic football. But you will always see an era come to an end."

This could become his ‘knocking Liverpool of their perch’ speech. Focus from day one. Absolutely brilliant.

He’s intelligent and demands 100% commitment or you don’t play.

He doesn’t care if he’s liked either. This is the main thing for me. Ole spent too much time trying to be best friends with the players. Jose sulked when he didn’t get the transfers he wanted and was generally a miserable person. Van Gaal was a character but simply wasn’t suited to modern club football anymore. Moyes was an average manager at one of the biggest clubs in world football.

Ten Hag is no nonsense. He wants to win and if you’re not giving everything, you’re not in his plans. Also, he makes players better. And that’s what proper coaches do. Rashford, Fred, Shaw and Dalot look like new players under his tutelage.

We’re in for some exciting times ahead.

I'm with you on possession. Until we keep the ball better we won't be consistently winning trophies.

I know today we've won with very little of the ball and its brilliant, bit it doesn't work over the course of a season. You need the ball to win trophies.

ETH needs a couple of players who can move with the ball in tight areas. Those with the footwork to get out of tight spots.

Don’t know how it was worked. But in it the 1st half it looked close to 50/50, maybe 45/55 with us have slightly less but more meaningful possession. So was surprised when I saw it was 35/65 or something like that. Granted second half seems about right they had about 70 to our 30.

Erik Ten Hag: "I admire them both, Manchester City and Liverpool. They both play fantastic football. But you will always see an era come to an end."

This could become his ‘knocking Liverpool of their perch’ speech. Focus from day one. Absolutely brilliant.

We’ve come a long way from

“we aspire to be like them”

“This is football heritage, I knocked you out of the CL, Seville knocked you out of the CL United always get knocked out of the CL it’s football heritage what do you want me the manager to do”

“We need to learn to baton down the hatches, stay in the game, stay 1 nil DOWN”

I agree with you, but it's still a great gameplan against City and Arsenal, Ole pulled it off too multiple times. With Rashford up top and midfielders that can deliver absolute darts his way (Pogba had this ability as well) you're 100% going to get chances against these two teams. We were cocky against City the first time thinking we could play their game. We don't always have to. There's no shame in being the counter attacking side in games like these, because our defense is so solid now. City can pass it around all they want, they created feck all and still got punished.

I still remember those Real Madrid CL games against I believe Bayern between 2014-2016 where they absolutely destroyed them on the counter. If done right, it's so deadly. But of course we want to be a dominant possession based team against weaker opposition. It's just good to have a Plan B that works.
And plan B is exactly what City don't have!

The most impressive about ETH after this win is that he still mentioned how poorly we started the second half. Sign of a top manager. Other, lesser, managers would have got lost in the moment, thought only about the result. But ETH looked at the match as a whole and highlighted an issue he wasn’t happy with. That’s what he said in public now I’d imagine in the dressing his going to make sure he gets the point across and works on it.

Similar vibes to SAF, I remember some of his post match pressers. Thinking we’ve won he’s gonna be happy, only to hear him speak about what he didn’t like and needs improving. Granted this was a derby Vs a top team so ETH was more proportionate but deserves even more credit for expecting more despite beating City.

I do believe there’s a lot of revisionism going on there. I remember all bar Moyes being critical of the team after a win. In fact, as a leader that’s the safest way to encourage growth, assuming you go about it the right way.

He's been absolutely brilliant as a manager....tactically fantastic today.

This guy is going to bring back the Fergie vibes that old trafford has been missing where they just will United to winning matches

I do believe there’s a lot of revisionism going on there. I remember all bar Moyes being critical of the team after a win. In fact, as a leader that’s the safest way to encourage growth, assuming you go about it the right way.
Disagree. RR is the only one he probably did emphasise he wasn’t happy with control even if we won. Mourinho would not have because when we won it was playing his anti football way. Ole was just to happy to be there to complain about anything.

Last edited:
Disagree. RR probably did emphasise he wasn’t happy with control. Mourinho would not have because when we won it was playing his anti football way. Ole was just to happy to be there to complain about anything.
Sorry forgot RR. My mind has suppressed the trauma. But Ole, Mou ( second season ) and LvG had constructive things to say.

May be not as focused since ETH clearly seems to know a lot more about what he’s doing and tools at his disposal than any of those. So I’d say ETH clearly sees the causes lot often than mere symptoms which other managers tended to point out.

ETH finally has made me believe once again. It's the first time since Fergie left, that it feels like we have the right man to take us forward.

He has built a winning mentality in this team and we have warriors like Bruno, Lisandro, Varane and Casemiro leading the way on the pitch. This is the best I've felt about the team/club post-Fergie, and so much credit has to go to the gaffer. He took over a shambles that had their egos massaged and a loser mentality, from the Ole days, and completely turned it around. The club has finally hired the right man, after some proper duds.

It's gonna take more time, and there'll be hiccups along the way, but the signs have been overwhelmingly positive.

Welcome abroad the positivity train.

He's some operator

Sorry forgot RR. My mind has suppressed the trauma. But Ole, Mou ( second season ) and LvG had constructive things to say.

May be not as focused since ETH clearly seems to know a lot more about what he’s doing and tools at his disposal than any of those. So I’d say ETH clearly sees the causes lot often than mere symptoms which other managers tended to point out.
I’ll be happy to be reminded otherwise. But from my recollection Mourinho and LVG mostly complained about the bored or lack of players. Never really about the team slacking in during parts of a match that they won or not following tactics for 90 minutes.

Wears a big thick coat, doesn't take shit from the players, very adaptable tactics, chews gum, English language isn't great. Sir Alex Ferguson 2.0

Posters have quite rightly pointed out some of the mistakes in our game. But, to see where we are both in the table and the level of performances in such a short space of time is incredible.

Add to that, the level of other complications he's had to face in his first season; Ronaldo, fixture pileup, dropping Maguire almost completely, shows he has the mentality to manage a club this size as well.

Coaching - Check
Tactics - Check
Mentality/Strength of character - Check

I was firmly in the ETH over Poch camp but he's exceeded every expectation of mine so far.

What I've noticed and enjoyed most over the past few games is our ability to pass first time with players immediately making themselves available for a pass. Today in the first half, we made fun of City's press through a lot of short, accurate first time passes, leaving them to chase shadows on a number of occasions.

Neither Pep nor Klopp did this well in their first season, despite Pep having much less of a sh*tshow to inherit.

Football talking heads use the word 'pragmatic' to basically mean 'defensive', but Ten Hag is an actual pragmatist in the real meaning of the word. He's going to take whatever approach he thinks will win us any given game of football, whether we're doing tiki taka or hoofing it long for Rashy to run after.

There was some kind of mass supposition that he was another purist from the Ajax school who was somehow 'abandoning his philosophy' if he ever played any other way than passing it sideways all game. He's not. He's earned his stripes as much punching above his weight playing five at the back at fecking FC Utrecht as he has beating the shite every week as manager of Ajax.

We're no more shy of sitting back and playing on the counter against City than we were of doing so against Arsenal in their pomp under Sir Alex. And it's glorious.

This is exactly what today reminded me of. Let them have the possession, we will counter for the chances.

win rate of recent Ajax managers:
Frank de Boer: 60%
Peter Bosz: 64%
Marcel Keizer: 58%
Erik Ten Hag: 73%
Alfred Schreuder: 52%

People keep saying "it is easy to win managing Ajax in Eredivisie" but Ten hag was a real standout amongst the Ajax managers

Especially when we are by design outnumbered in midfield. They flood the middle with so many players that it's nearly impossible to control that area and in general possession. But despite that it's been a few times now that we have looked like the more dangerous team without having the ball, their possession can be very sterile, it lacks verticality.

Especially this season it's looked more like that. Weird cuz they have 2 strikers who make runs, both Haaland and Alvarez.

Same reason Spain 82% possession against Japan , 77% possession against Morocco, 64 % against germany , didnt win it for them. Portugal 73% against Morocco. Call it Tiki-taka , Pep ball what ever, if you allowing them possession where it doesn't hurt then everything is fine. How many would have taken a bet with you that Haaland would have only a couple of touches in the box today. City with the ball were unable to create enough damage as we concentrated in the shutting of the lines/ angles where they could hurt us, work as hard out of possession as with it. When i seen Bernardo retreating to take the ball of the central backs on their 18 yard line I went happy days.

Great point. We didn't do this well in the 2nd half but yeah we clearly were ok with them having the ball in areas we wanted them to.

The interesting part for me is that I can see a parallel with Bayern's 4231. Against certain teams Bayern have had the habit to not fight for possession just for the sake of having possession, they play through the middle but faster, one or two touches and the ball is in the opposition final third. The intriguing part is going to be whether ETH manages to build that possession and high defensive line, I think that we are three players away from it.

Striker, CM and a sweeper keeper?

All of his signings have a purpose. Wouldn't surprise me if he has plans for Wout as well, even if he's only a stopgap.

Another sign of progress? When we played City under Ole the odds were around 7-8 for United to win. Now it's around 4.

Probably more to do with how "bad" City have been this season.

Bad in quotes because they're still pretty fecking good, just not the same side they were last year.

Just give the man whatever whoever he wants. He'll win us the title again I reckon.

What I mean is we can't control the deeper phases of play against the better teams. And that showed again today where we ceded possession to Man City who dominated the ball.

You're correct there was moments where we were good in possession and went through the phases beautifully in a very direct/vertical manner. And I think that will become more pronounced as time goes on and we add to the team and develop the team further.

Imo it was largely because he had to sub Martial off. I know many here don't rate him but he's actually very important in our pressing and how we play. Plus Eriksen running out of gas.

All of his signings have a purpose. Wouldn't surprise me if he has plans for Wout as well, even if he's only a stopgap.
Werghorst is very useful when chasing games in the dying minutes.
Guarantee a lot of the pundits will ignore the fact we’ve been on a great run and ETH is doing wonders. They’ll all put it down to the fall of liverpool, Chelsea, city not being at their best. It’s never about how good we’re doing, it’s always about how bad others are doing that makes us look good. It’s so annoying but when it’s Liverpool they get all the praise and stuff in the world.
To hell with the pundits. I'm more interested in winning titles.

Proper elite manager
- great man management (Ronaldo attitude, rashford sleep in, keep a young garnacho in check, awb chances and tru

One thing that has gone completely under the radar is his treatment of Martinez, a huge favourite of his and his own big money signing.

He accepted the player wanting to stay in Argentina and celebrate such a huge moment, but he’s simultaneously showed the squad that they are in this together by making Martinez fight to get his place back, despite being one of our players of the season so far.
Must feel great for all players but especially the likes of Malacia, knowing that if someone slacks, even the slightest, you’ll get your chance and the other fella will have to fight tooth and nail to win his spot back.

One thing that has gone completely under the radar is his treatment of Martinez, a huge favourite of his and his own big money signing.

He accepted the player wanting to stay in Argentina and celebrate such a huge moment, but he’s simultaneously showed the squad that they are in this together by making Martinez fight to get his place back, despite being one of our players of the season so far.
Must feel great for all players but especially the likes of Malacia, knowing that if someone slacks, even the slightest, you’ll get your chance and the other fella will have to fight tooth and nail to win his spot back.

The thing I really like about Ten Hag is his lack of favoritism and fairness. Thus far he has treated every players very fairly (including Ronaldo and Maguire) and he doesn't have a clear "teacher's pet" (this match clear shows his lack of favoritism to Antony and Martinez).

Moyes, LVG, Mourinho, Ole were all plagued with favoritism and they were biased against or for certain players for non-footballing reasons
Moyes had bias against Zaha
LVG had bias against Chicharito
Mourinho had bias against Schweinsteiger
Ole showed clear favoritism to the English clique like Maguire or the academy clique

It's probably a few seasons off his style really being played by the team consistently but it's great that he's pragmatic enough to adapt to the players he has and grind the wins.

Guarantee a lot of the pundits will ignore the fact we’ve been on a great run and ETH is doing wonders. They’ll all put it down to the fall of liverpool, Chelsea, city not being at their best. It’s never about how good we’re doing, it’s always about how bad others are doing that makes us look good. It’s so annoying but when it’s Liverpool they get all the praise and stuff in the world.
Talksport is the worst of all. fecking Jermaine pennant had a rant for no reason and wanted city to beat united again by 5-6 goals because he said he couldn’t stand everyone talking about united like they are back again. He said “I can’t wait for city to smash united again to bring them back to the ground”. That’s how much bitter everyone is right now.

On a side note, one of the comments on the video was
It's weird that talkSport employs so many real life criminals as pundits. It's even stranger that they choose to hire the dumbest criminals as pundits. I'm discounting Souness who is just so dumb that it is criminal”

:lol::lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.