Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
What even is your point? That United legitimately don't have 20-50 million to spend on a transfer? That was the original discussion about. I said it was both. Glazers don't want to spend and the club is about to be sold. You're implying it's only because United is basically broke.

I said that clubs don't spend prior to being sold. That's it and it's a fact. You're trying to make it that United are not spending money because... United doesn't have money which is ridiculous. Which of the two is more likely? We didn't spend in the winter window because we didn't have the money or we didn't spend because there are discussions being done behind the scenes about the club being sold and new owners looking to take over? Or both as I suggested. But it certainly isn't solely because United not having the money.

United doesn't have much cash or cash equivalent at the moment and United spent 240m€ this summer, that's the only actual facts that we have. As for your facts, I asked you to substantiate them and you failed, you keep labelling them as fact without providing anything.

What is more likely is that a club that doesn't have cash and spent 240m for the current exercise, is going to be fiscally prudent and not take loans in order to have cash to spend. That's more likely because that's how clubs are ran, when they don't have cash and already have instalments to pay, they don't add future spendings mindlessly.

It's also known as having a budget and sticking to it.

Great win today, obviously.

It’s a little curious that we had so little possession when we have so many players who are comfortable with the ball.

There’s only AWB who you’d say isn’t a natural in possession and, okay, Bruno’s assertive style can be wasteful at times. But 29% at home is a tad baffling. City are masters of possession but a lot of worse teams than us get closer to 40%.

I’m not complaining but I can’t get my head around it. Did ETH plan it?

don’t worry about it, goals win games not possession.

United doesn't have much cash or cash equivalent at the moment and United spent 240m€ this summer, that's the only actual facts that we have. As for your facts, I asked you to substantiate them and you failed, you keep labelling them as fact without providing anything.
How do you know what kind of cash United have or don't have? Your logic would make sense if the Glazers had future plans for this club and weren't ready to saddle the club with more debt that they then would later have to repay. They don't. They sell the club to someone else and it isn't any of their business what happens afterwards. Unless you believe the Glazers somehow care for this club's well being?

What is more likely is that a club that doesn't have cash and spent 240m for the current exercise, is going to be fiscally prudent and not take loans in order to have cash to spend. That's more likely because that's how clubs are ran, when they don't have cash and already have instalments to pay, they don't add future spendings mindlessly.

I mean, you legit don't know what our budget is nor what kind of money United has. You're just speculating at this point.

don’t worry about it, goals win games not possession.
Yes. I wouldn’t say I’m worried.

Normally we’ve been bossing possession AND scoring enough goals to win. Part of me is surprised no-one has said we “relied on individual brilliance”. But I suppose I’m wondering if ETH instructed the players to stand off City a bit or did it just turn out that way..?

He seems to know how to get us to win, I’d just expect our guys to be able to hold onto the ball a bit better.

Normally we’ve been bossing possession AND scoring enough goals to win. Part of me is surprised no-one has said we “relied on individual brilliance”. But I suppose I’m wondering if ETH instructed the players to stand off City a bit or did it just turn out that way..?

He seems to know how to get us to win, I’d just expect our guys to be able to hold onto the ball a bit better.
We held the ball ok in the first half, not so good in the 2nd and the big reason was Martial was subbed. I don't think ETH planned that we don't have possession so much, he did set us up to play deep and on the counter which is the best tactic vs them really.

How do you know what kind of cash United have or don't have? Your logic would make sense if the Glazers had future plans for this club and weren't ready to saddle the club with more debt that they then would later have to repay. They don't. They sell the club to someone else and it isn't any of their business what happens afterwards. Unless you believe the Glazers somehow care for this club's well being?

I mean, you legit don't know what our budget is nor what kind of money United has. You're just speculating at this point.

United is a PLC, everyone has access to the quarterly financial reports. As per said report our cash flow decreased by 98.7m£ and by the end of Q1 our cash flow and cash equivalents were 24.3m£.

And yeah I legit don't know what our budget is everyone has an idea about the kind of money United has because it's a PLC. And the "Or" in the post that you initially quoted was a suggestion at no point did I claim that my suggestions were facts, thats what you did and it's the part that I questioned.

Don’t worry about it pal 2-1 to us is all we need to know! In ETH we trust.

It’s a little curious that we had so little possession when we have so many players who are comfortable with the ball.

You can't beat City trying to play their own game. They are simply too good at that. Show me a team that bossed possession against them in the last 5 years. You win by hitting them on the counter.

What a guy! If only we had some money to buy him a striker, I’d fancy us to go all the way!
I think he already has the striker he wants. He had contact with Wout Weghorst in the Netherlands after te Netherlands - Argentina game. He wants a nail hard fighting tree in the box

Yes, as in ER the statement, they entered the receiver position of the fixed-float swap years ago. Now, the interest rate hike results in the huge increase of libor rate. They have to pay a lot more every quarter. It’s a huge financial hit. Remember the libor rate for so many years had been extremely low before.

Yes I get your point but I think tonight was only partly intentional. In the long term I can definitely see him get a proper ball carrier in midfield

You can't beat City trying to play their own game. They are simply too good at that. Show me a team that bossed possession against them in the last 5 years. You win by hitting them on the counter.

Especially when we are by design outnumbered in midfield. They flood the middle with so many players that it's nearly impossible to control that area and in general possession. But despite that it's been a few times now that we have looked like the more dangerous team without having the ball, their possession can be very sterile, it lacks verticality.

Especially when we are by design outnumbered in midfield. They flood the middle with so many players that it's nearly impossible to control that area and in general possession. But despite that it's been a few times now that we have looked like the more dangerous team without having the ball, their possession can be very sterile, it lacks verticality.
Exactly. I didn't at all feel threatened by their game in the first half. Granted in the first 30 of the second we really lacked a bit of urgency but that changed when Rahsford went up top.

There’s only AWB who you’d say isn’t a natural in possession and, okay, Bruno’s assertive style can be wasteful at times. But 29% at home is a tad baffling. City are masters of possession but a lot of worse teams than us get closer to 40%.

Same reason Spain 82% possession against Japan , 77% possession against Morocco, 64 % against germany , didnt win it for them. Portugal 73% against Morocco. Call it Tiki-taka , Pep ball what ever, if you allowing them possession where it doesn't hurt then everything is fine. How many would have taken a bet with you that Haaland would have only a couple of touches in the box today. City with the ball were unable to create enough damage as we concentrated in the shutting of the lines/ angles where they could hurt us, work as hard out of possession as with it. When i seen Bernardo retreating to take the ball of the central backs on their 18 yard line I went happy days.

Exactly. I didn't at all feel threatened by their game in the first half. Granted in the first 30 of the second we really lacked a bit of urgency but that changed when Rahsford went up top.

The interesting part for me is that I can see a parallel with Bayern's 4231. Against certain teams Bayern have had the habit to not fight for possession just for the sake of having possession, they play through the middle but faster, one or two touches and the ball is in the opposition final third. The intriguing part is going to be whether ETH manages to build that possession and high defensive line, I think that we are three players away from it.

Yeah, true.

Nobody expects to have more possession than City but lots of teams get more than 29%. That we only got 29% despite our good technical players hints at a specific tactic that sacrificed possession (as another said, losing Martial would have skewed the stat anyway). The actual number is kind of academic; in the end it’s about making your 29% count and we did that.

Easily the first time post Sir Alex that we have a manager where they are capable of winning everything, provided they are backed properly. Get us that striker and we'll be competing for the CL title.

Definitely tactical, which is why i would argue this is very different from the "individual brilliance" accusations under Ole, despite giving up possession it wasn't just direct football the teams positioning is very good and they are slick with the ball when they do have it, also organised enough to form a low/mid block conceding space out wide and using effective forward pressing.

Don't worry though we will get there, im actually glad he has proven to be pragmatic when he needs to be especially given he has only been in the job six months. I remember Arsenal pinning them back in their own half for like ten minutes it just takes time.

Last edited:
Manchester United have now touched Manchester City, one point only separates the two teams in the table. A very good victory for United and a very good one indirectly for Arsenal who can now, if they beat Tottenham this Sunday away from home in the North London derby, they can open eight points in the lead... Impressive, but for that they will have to do what they hasn't done for nine years. Arsenal have failed to beat Spurs away from home in the Premier League for nine years. But anyway, the moment tends a little more towards this Arsenal that, in my opinion, comes in as a favorite this Sunday.

It's really cool to see the weather at Old Trafford. It's a lot of noise from the two fans. City's visiting sector singing a lot, especially when they score the first goal and then a red avalanche in the stands, a lot of noise, it was beautiful to see that. It's a transformation of the atmosphere at old trafford these last few months and let's remember: three months separate Manchester City's 6-3 rout of Manchester United at Eithad Stadium from this victory at Old trafford. Just over three months is a very short time for so much evolution.

As a Manchester United fan, I am celebrating a lot because, looking at the overall picture, the points are very encouraging. I think United have beaten City a number of times under Solskjaer but to me, those wins made little sense in terms of sowing seeds for the medium to long term, I mean they were big wins, important and all, so much so that we managed to reach second place in the Premier League in that campaign of Solskjaer's first season. But I didn't feel like something was being planted there. Now I feel it, so I think it's a victory to be celebrated more than those before. I think it makes more sense. There is a context of celebrations that further boost this celebration of this victory. It is part of the whole. It's not just a hiccup of grandeur, it's perhaps a real recovery.

I found Ten Haag's options in the lineup interesting, keeping Shaw next to Varane in the center of the defense with Malacia open on the left and Bissaka (because Dalot is injured) on the right, bringing Fred (which for me was the best player on the pitch. He played a lot of ball today. The second best for me was Bruno Fernandes, but the first was Fred) next to Casemiro and then Eriksen. With Bruno more open on the right, Rashford and Martial (Martial who didn't have a great match, Antony came on in the second half but he didn't do very well either)

Overall Manchester United played better. The proposal made more sense, created more opportunities. We just have to see that City only hit one ball in the goal, which was the goal. Then I think it made sense that Manchester United won

Reactions: Sultan
Insulting another member

This has gotta be a wind up post. Ten Hag is the best thing that has happened to this club in a decade. You’re an idiot.

I would imagine the first half posession was a decent amount closer. It is clear that the first part of the second half was not how we wanted to play and coincided with City's best spell and them getting the goal. We went from being solid defensively and offering good transition play to basically sitting back and offering no threat forward as they pushed on.

I think part of that is we didn't have a suitable option to replace Martial with Anthony clearly not being suited to that role as well as Eriksen starting to tire in midfield. First half is probably exactly what he wanted from a set up standpoint and we did created 2-3 really good opportunities that half which is really all you can ask for against a side like City who are always going to dominate the ball.

This has gotta be a wind up post. Ten Hag is the best thing that has happened to this club in a decade. You’re an idiot.
Do one you berk. I’m not for a second saying he isn’t the best thing to happen to this club in a decade. I’m just inviting discussion about possession and its merits. You can stay out of it.

I would imagine the first half posession was a decent amount closer. It is clear that the first part of the second half was not how we wanted to play and coincided with City's best spell and them getting the goal. We went from being solid defensively and offering good transition play to basically sitting back and offering no threat forward as they pushed on.

I think part of that is we didn't have a suitable option to replace Martial with Anthony clearly not being suited to that role as well as Eriksen starting to tire in midfield. First half is probably exactly what he wanted from a set up standpoint and we did created 2-3 really good opportunities that half which is really all you can ask for against a side like City who are always going to dominate the ball.
Yeah all good points. I think we had 30-odd possession in the first half. Funny thing is it never felt as low as that. A lot of their possession was going nowhere.

Eriksen did look knackered after half time which meant their guys had more time on the ball and Eriksen couldn’t get hold of it and get us under control.

Again, I’m not worried, I’m elated. It’s just interesting to me that the possession split was so heavily skewed. Proves once again that it’s not how much possession you have but what you do with it.

Do one you berk. I’m not for a second saying he isn’t the best thing to happen to this club in a decade. I’m just inviting discussion about possession and its merits. You can stay out of it.
I was more surprised at how much possession City gave up, especially in the first half, Pep was doing his nut on the touchline at the number of passes that went straight out of play

United tried to play quick counter attacks and when they don't succeed they lose possession, City don't really do that so the overall possession stats are what I would have expected

I would say it was tactical to keep the shape more so than possession percentages. United are not yet in a position to play keep the ball as well as City. United played to its strengths and it worked keeping City to one chance.

EtH learnt from the mistake of the 6-3 defeat playing an extra midfielder.

Honestly really impressive that he kinda admitted his own mistake and changed it midgame. He had set us up perfectly, but Martial going out and Rashford getting a knock meant he had to make a change and it completely fecked us over. Antony had no clue how to play as a striker and Rashford just walked around on the left so City targeted that side and scored from it.

EtH then first moved Bruno to striker and Antony to the right and then put on Garnacho and moved Rashford up top. Now everyone played in their more natural positions and we had a threat again in Garnacho on the left. Also Rashford could rest up top without it hurting us on the left.

It’s not always you see managers fixing their own mistakes mid game.

Absolutely spot on… setup great in the first half with Martial’s hold up play and some slick passing movements to break their press.

Then as you said fixed the early second half issues with his substitutions.

I was more surprised at how much possession City gave up, especially in the first half, Pep was doing his nut on the touchline at the number of passes that went straight out of play

United tried to play quick counter attacks and when they don't succeed they lose possession, City don't really do that so the overall possession stats are what I would have expected
Yeah, even though we really didn’t have much possession in the first half, we were the better team and it wasn’t going to plan for City at all.

Second half was more stressful as there were times we just couldn’t get out. We were getting it forward but it was neither sticking nor breaking through, it was just coming straight back. It improved after our subs. Credit to ETH again. He’s getting a lot of these calls right.

Yeah, even though we really didn’t have much possession in the first half, we were the better team and it wasn’t going to plan for City at all.

Second half was more stressful as there were times we just couldn’t get out. We were getting it forward but it was neither sticking nor breaking through, it was just coming straight back. It improved after our subs. Credit to ETH again. He’s getting a lot of these calls right.
City upped the tempo but the reason we weren't so good in the 2nd half was Martial, granted he wasn't gonna score or anything like that, but he worked the CB's, held the ball up a few times and was generally a nuisance and a distraction, Antony couldn't really do any of that

I wonder what the likes of pogba, Ronaldo are thinking. It’s no surprise that since they’ve gone we look a lot more like a team. ETH is turning the mentality of our whole squad into winners. The never give up attitude is back. Last season we’d of conceded 1 then we’d of folded and lost about 4-0. This season we’re 1-0 down in the 77th minute and still win 2-1.

I wonder what the likes of pogba, Ronaldo are thinking. It’s no surprise that since they’ve gone we look a lot more like a team. ETH is turning the mentality of our whole squad into winners. The never give up attitude is back. Last season we’d of conceded 1 then we’d of folded and lost about 4-0. This season we’re 1-0 down in the 77th minute and still win 2-1.
They aren't thinking anything because it isn't about them so they have zero interest

Status
Not open for further replies.