Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's only enough space for one ba-ld fra-ud in Manchester.

My manager, love him. Always wanted him glad to be proven right.

Football talking heads use the word 'pragmatic' to basically mean 'defensive', but Ten Hag is an actual pragmatist in the real meaning of the word. He's going to take whatever approach he thinks will win us any given game of football, whether we're doing tiki taka or hoofing it long for Rashy to run after.

There was some kind of mass supposition that he was another purist from the Ajax school who was somehow 'abandoning his philosophy' if he ever played any other way than passing it sideways all game. He's not. He's earned his stripes as much punching above his weight playing five at the back at fecking FC Utrecht as he has beating the shite every week as manager of Ajax.

We're no more shy of sitting back and playing on the counter against City than we were of doing so against Arsenal in their pomp under Sir Alex. And it's glorious.

How transfers are paid depends entirely on the agreement between the clubs. If you want to buy a great player, you pay most of the money upfront. Second, it's obviously not a money issue since the Glazers can take a loan to pay for a player Ten Hag wants, if they wanted it. They don't. Third, your house analogy doesn't make sense because we're not talking about a leaky bathtub here, but renovating an entire bathroom without any agreement with the new owner who might not want to renovate that bathroom just yet or at all.

You're thinking about this very narrowly. Just because someone has 7 billion to spend doesn't mean he'd like to throw his money around just because. That's not how these people think. When you get that rich even a million unaccounted for is a problem. Let's pretend the new owner has the 50 million to throw around, why would he want to throw it before acquiring the club? There's also the fact that we don't know how talks behind the scenes have progressed so far and the Glazers surely wouldn't want to rock the boat on that.

How often have you seen a club making big purchases for players that is about to be sold?

How often clubs that have the ability to make big purchases don't because they are about to be sold?

Also neither the Glazers nor the future owners are spending that money, the club is spending and financing it with its own revenues. And you think that if the club had spent 280m isntead of 240m last summer it would change a thing for prospective owners?

ETH actually looks like he respects this club more than his predecessors. And he instilled belief in the same players that were rediculed by everyone else. Now we have 4 good fullbacks. 7 months ago we needed to sign an entire set of fullbacks .

How often clubs that have the ability to make big purchases don't because they are about to be sold?
Did Chelsea make any big signings before being sold?

Also neither the Glazers nor the future owners are spending that money, the club is spending and financing it with its own revenues. And you think that if the club had spent 280m isntead of 240m last summer it would change a thing for prospective owners?
Said revenues aren't enough to spend big as we're spending and clear off the debt. That would have to be paid off by the new owner. Last summer the club wasn't about to be sold as far as I'm aware.

Did Chelsea make any big signings before being sold?

Said revenues aren't enough to spend big as we're spending and clear off the debt. That would have to be paid off by the new owner. Last summer the club wasn't about to be sold as far as I'm aware.

Chelsea were sold in May and the owner was in exclusive talk with the future owners in April at which point where they supposed to make any big signing? Also the owner's assets were frozen.

Does anybody know where he got his jacket from? The one he always wears with the little stripe on the front. Quite cool, trademark look.

Chelsea were sold in May and the owner was in exclusive talk with the future owners in April at which point where they supposed to make any big signing? Also the owner's assets were frozen.
There were talks about Abramovich selling the club in late February-early March

ETH must be suprised himself by the speed at which the recovery takes place. In all fairness, there is also some part of it outside his sphere of influence and that part is not working against us atm.
Personally I would have thought the 1st goal to be offside for instance. However, I do love the fact that even with these ultra-low possession stats the xG was really higher than city's AND it's not at all boring to watch. Let's hope he'll ride the wave for a long long time

Your point being? Can you provide an example of a club that is about to be sold making big deal purchases or not?
Mr. Glazer, we're celebrating over here. I know you don't watch football but this result is a big deal.

Your point being? Can you provide an example of a club that is about to be sold making big deal purchases or not?

My point is that your question was a red herring, you don't have an example of a club not making a big purchase because they were about to be sold. I don't have one either but I didn't try to make that point, so I don't have to.

Proper elite manager
- great man management (Ronaldo attitude, rashford sleep in, keep a young garnacho in check, awb chances and tru
- tactics
- selecting the right coaching team and balance around him and trusting them (Mitchell vdg, Steve McL)

we won’t win the league this year and a lot will depend on the take over and money available and who we get in next summer, but we’re going to be close next year but it feels so much closer than it has done for years

The fighting spirit and United aura is back finally

Thank God the club stood by him after the unneccesary media drama involving Cristiano Trump. My Manager. Now give him Enzo and Osimieh in the summer

My point is that your question was a red herring, you don't have an example of a club not making a big purchase because they were about to be sold. I don't have one either but I didn't try to make that point, so I don't have to.
You adore an argument, don't you?

Ralf Rangnick said it would take multiple transfer windows and seasons to get us back towards the top. Ten Hag came in and said "hold my beer". Love to see it. Probably the best manager we've had since Fergie, and I'm enjoying every minute of it.

Don't like Rangnick at all, but he's actually said the opposite. Said that whilst we need big changes, it shouldn't take longer than a few transfer windows.

Why in the name of feck are we not reinforcing this January? We are in the mix on four fronts, reinforce the team and help the manager.
Not easy to sign to good players in Jan and I don't think we're really in a title race.

I can't prove a negative. All I know is that clubs don't make big purchases prior to being sold. We can argue about the semantics of why that is, but at the end of the day - why would United be any different?

One thing I love about him is how he managed to destroy the credibility of these ex-united pundits who behaved as if they knew what is best for United.

Like the big push for Pochettino last year, as he was being really underwhelming with that PSG team.

I remember Gary Neville really pushing for Poch to the point he did a Twitter poll about who the next United manager was going to be.

I think he thought it was going to a Poch landslide and when ETH won it by a landslide, he was like ‘oh…erm okay then’

I can't prove a negative. All I know is that clubs don't make big purchases prior to being sold. We can argue about the semantics of why that is, but at the end of the day - why would United be any different?

No one asked you to prove a negative but substantiate your claim that clubs don't make big purchases prior to being sold. I don't have a single example of that one way or the other, but the example that you gave made no sense since Chelsea were up for sale in early March following the Ukraine war, the club was in exclusive talks with Boehly in late April and sold in late May. So at which point were they supposed to do this big purchase?

No one asked you to prove a negative but substantiate your claim that clubs don't make big purchases prior to being sold.
They don't. You just wanted to create a fictional reason as to why they don't, i.e United being the only club in existence who has the money for big purchases prior to being sold.

I don't have a single example of that one way or the other, but the example that you gave made no sense since Chelsea were up for sale in early March following the Ukraine war, the club was in exclusive talks with Boehly in late April and sold in late May. So at which point were they supposed to do this big purchase?
When has that stopped clubs from agreeing deals way earlier than transfer windows open?

They don't. You just wanted to create a fictional reason as to why they don't, i.e United being the only club in existence who has the money for big purchases prior to being sold.

When has that stopped clubs from agreeing deals way earlier than transfer windows open?

What are you talking about? When did I suggest that United had money to spend this winter?

And you are the one creating fictional points, you are the one who said that clubs don't make big spending before being sold, you made the point that it was the reason behind not spending while failing to give even one example. You are also into fiction when it comes to what I wrote, I literally wrote the opposite of what you claim I said and it's in the post that you first quoted.

Or because we spent a fortune this summer and we don't have an infinite amount of money?

Great win today, obviously.

It’s a little curious that we had so little possession when we have so many players who are comfortable with the ball.

There’s only AWB who you’d say isn’t a natural in possession and, okay, Bruno’s assertive style can be wasteful at times. But 29% at home is a tad baffling. City are masters of possession but a lot of worse teams than us get closer to 40%.

I’m not complaining but I can’t get my head around it. Did ETH plan it?

What are you talking about? When did I suggest that United had money to spend this winter?
What even is your point? That United legitimately don't have 20-50 million to spend on a transfer? That was the original discussion about. I said it was both. Glazers don't want to spend and the club is about to be sold. You're implying it's only because United is basically broke.

And you are the one creating fictional points, you are the one who said that clubs don't make big spending before being sold, you made the point that it was the reason behind not spending while failing to give even one example. You are also into fiction when it comes to what I wrote, I literally wrote the opposite of what you claim I said and it's in the post that you first quoted.
I said that clubs don't spend prior to being sold. That's it and it's a fact. You're trying to make it that United are not spending money because... United doesn't have money which is ridiculous. Which of the two is more likely? We didn't spend in the winter window because we didn't have the money or we didn't spend because there are discussions being done behind the scenes about the club being sold and new owners looking to take over? Or both as I suggested. But it certainly isn't solely because United not having the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.