Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
The project the players buy into is playing for a team that will compete with the best. Zlatan, Pogba didn’t join a CL club but both thought with Mourinho at the helm that we’d be a top club again with them in the side, and with that they’ll expect to be featuring in the top competitions. Same goes for Casemiro.

Nothing is guaranteed in football, United, Chelsea and Arsenal have all spent time out of the CL.

Put it this way, if Spurs squeeze into the top 4, and Liverpool miss out, I’d still fully expect a player given a choice of them or Liverpool in the Summer will take Liverpool. They’d trust that with Klopp at the helm, good times are coming back.

No, they'd rather sign a 5 year contract at Spurs just because they get to play CL in the first season. :wenger:

From what I remember of him at Ajax, the guy has always been perceived as a bit of a quirky character, if not a bit of a weirdo.

But that doesn't mean he's not likeable in his own way. If anything, I love that he's got a different personality. He's just all business and by golly, we definitely could have used that in the summer.

He also is not just work but he's very much about that team spirit. He may not lead the dancing at parties but tbh, I wouldn't want my boss doing that.

And if you look at some of the things Pep has said (and still says), he's just as much, if not more, of a weirdo.

No dancing? You mean he's nothing like Fergie who used to spin around the dressing room floor with King Eric and Roy Keane? That's it, ETH out!

Manchester United are seven points above Liverpool in the Premier League table with the same number of games played and I think that's something that makes us think. Not that Manchester United's private championship is against Liverpool, but I don't I remember the last time we saw Manchester United for a considerable period of time having better, more convincing and more complete performances than Liverpool and that, from this perspective, which I think is an interesting point of comparison and which makes us makes you think.

It is a very positive sign for Manchester United, the team is, not only with the sixth consecutive victory in all competitions, not only with the fourth consecutive Premier League victory, not only with another game without conceding goals here in this stadium this happened in 8 of the last nine matches, but also with the feeling that the good phase is practically intact, it is without the risk of being impacted by zebras.

And why I say zebras? Because the horizon of Manchester United does not have teams that if they win here they would be an upset because the next game here for the Premier League will be against Manchester City and the next game will not be in this stadium, it will also be away from home for the English championship against Arsenal, so United today who step with with a lot of authority within the G4 opening 5 points ahead of Tottenham, fifth placed, takes the first two placed today in the Premier League, so they are tests of big people.

I don't think that fighting for the Champions League through the Premier League was a cut-off point between a good season and a bad season, not to mention that up to this moment Manchester United has absolutely exceeded my expectations, I didn't expect the team stepping with so much authority in the G4 and looking even a little higher so the change of mood here in this stadium is impressive, the change in the relationship between players and fans, the change that ten Haag brings to this team, to these stands and for certain players specifically

Last edited:
What I like about Erik is that he's never happy, be that with performances, records, etc unless there is a trophy at the end of it.

I also like that he wants us to play our own game vs City instead of bowing to them and changing our game to counter their tactics.

Just hope we can top it off with a win now.

From "trophies are for ego" to this;
"It is nice but you deserve nothing for it. It is about winning trophies. We are here in a project and we want to win trophies."

I love this guy!

"It is nice but you deserve nothing for it. It is about winning trophies. We are here in a project and we want to win trophies."

I love this guy!

Its that very mentality that gets filtered down to players. When players hear managers talk about trophies are overrated, they think they are playing well and deserve something after 4/5 wins, we saw that under Ole's reign. We managed to get 4/5 wins on the bounce then complacency.

Ten Hag is opposite, he knows trophies are key, regardless you win 5 or 100 games, if you dont get a trophy, what is the point?

I love this guy!
Its that very mentality that gets filtered down to players. When players hear managers talk about trophies are overrated, they think they are playing well and deserve something after 4/5 wins, we saw that under Ole's reign. We managed to get 4/5 wins on the bounce then complacency.

Ten Hag is opposite, he knows trophies are key, regardless you win 5 or 100 games, if you dont get a trophy, what is the point?
You both understand that it was very clear Ole was saying that externally and something completely different internally? That's why it was weird. I think it's fair to say if the message was really that internally, none of what Ole has done would have ever happened, not even coming back so much to win games, or even finishing 3rd or 2nd. We would be way down like the 3rd season. That's the outcome of "trophies are for ego" type of messages. The reality is most likely that Ole used those sentences externally because the team couldn't win and he didn't want the press to increase negativity. But it's almost clear that he was dealing with it very differently internally.

Likelihood is pie in the sky though, there’s nothing tangible about it, that’s the point. Both Varane and Ronaldo didn’t sign expecting to be in the Europa League this season, Casemiro signed knowing it, but hoping the project will work and that he and the team will be successful.
I’ll make the point again, players don’t base their huge career decisions on which team just qualified for the CL. It’d be stupid as feck to do so. The likes of Zlatan, Cas, Pogba are all proof of this.
Having CL might've been the tipping point for Frenkie to join us last summer. He was in a great position but slightly unwanted at the time.

You both understand that it was very clear Ole was saying that externally and something completely different internally? That's why it was weird. I think it's fair to say if the message was really that internally, none of what Ole has done would have ever happened, not even coming back so much to win games, or even finishing 3rd or 2nd. We would be way down like the 3rd season. That's the outcome of "trophies are for ego" type of messages. The reality is most likely that Ole used those sentences externally because the team couldn't win and he didn't want the press to increase negativity. But it's almost clear that he was dealing with it very differently internally.
I het saying different things internally and externally, but I don't believe that it doesn't have an effect if you say such stupidity in public. Football is about winning and if you publicly don't care about titles this will have an effect on the team.

Heck, even the fans supported this and made United the easiest club to play for, no big demands, everything always excused by the need to rebuild.

I het saying different things internally and externally, but I don't believe that it doesn't have an effect if you say such stupidity in public. Football is about winning and if you publicly don't care about titles this will have an effect on the team.

Heck, even the fans supported this and made United the easiest club to play for, no big demands, everything always excused by the need to rebuild.

"In the league position you see if there’s any progress for me, that’s always the bread and butter of the season that you see how capable you are of coping of ups and downs any cup competition can give you a trophy but sometimes it’s more of an ego thing from other managers and clubs to finally win something.

"But we need to see progress and if we perform well enough the trophies will end up at the club again. It’s not like a trophy will say that we’re back, no.

Amazing excuses.

Regardless of what he said privately to players, we dont really know. I like Ole, I am not one who will bash him for the sake of it but, United need higher standards.

We can all see why certain managers win things, standards are high, Ole was never going to reach those, he let the dressing room carry him. Players who were favourites played, there was no accountability from the players.

We can see how the strict nature of Ten Hag has improved us, him saying I dont care what we do, we need to win. Ten Hag is less favoured by the media than Ole was, the media was ready for us to be 10th this season.

"In the league position you see if there’s any progress for me, that’s always the bread and butter of the season that you see how capable you are of coping of ups and downs any cup competition can give you a trophy but sometimes it’s more of an ego thing from other managers and clubs to finally win something.

"But we need to see progress and if we perform well enough the trophies will end up at the club again. It’s not like a trophy will say that we’re back, no.

Amazing excuses.
Yes, because I believe (but I can see why people disagree) that these statements are fundamentally wrong. To win the big titles you need winning experience. Winning stuff like tha Carabao Cup might not be an important title, but it gives an ego boost which can be important to make the next step and win the big titles.

And what else should indicate that you are back? United always were a top 4 team during the last decade, it was only titles missing (and at least Mou and LVG fid win something...)

What will the comments look like in here tomorrow at 2:30pm:

A. What a bald over rated fraud, failed his first real test, he's not the one.
B. Have my wife you beautiful bald genius, we're going to win it all.
C. I didn't even watch the game but I'm gonna blame McTominay and/or Fred for that result.

What will the comments look like in here tomorrow at 2:30pm:

A. What a bald over rated fraud, failed his first real test, he's not the one.
B. Have my wife you beautiful bald genius, we're going to win it all.
C. I didn't even watch the game but I'm gonna blame McTominay and/or Fred for that result.

Definitely not A because he is building something

My take is that ETH started his job with silk gloves on. The pre-season seemed to go in high spirits for everyone, give the team a little slack at start and ole-squad thought we like this guy. It took two league games to reveal what a disgrace ole-squad was. No excuses after that. It was absolute right to let them hang themselves the way ETH did. Then on ETH has been showing what a world class manager can do. It become quick obvious for the players that either they show full commitment for the team or they are out. ETH has chosen not to show the door to anyone directly, but if you are not part of the core team you are not going to last very long. Even Ronaldo was allowed to make a fool of himself and leave quietly, his antics were so bad that how ETH didn't show him the door was beyond patience. What a difference between the two, one self-reflective, professional and calculative the other self-centered and foolish.
What happened start of the season is gobsmacking. Imagine the team losing twice so badly under SAF. I don't think the players would have returned to the dressing room after the games. ETH seems very constrained and calculative, but ruthless the same time.

What seems to make Ten Hag's start at United so effective is that, by all accounts, he's straddled the line between strict discipline and just being an asshole better than any of the other managers post-Fergie.

Generally, I don't think people (or at least most adults) have an issue with strict discipline as long as it's consistent and transitory. What I mean by the second point is that when you are punished, there's always the chance to make amends for your mistake.

Under Ole, I reckon the problem was that the consistency just wasn't there. Certain players seemed to receive somewhat more favourable treatment, and this will weaken your ability to impose discipline upon the whole for obvious reasons. Equally, I'd say with Mourinho and to a lesser extent Van Gaal, the problem was rather that the punishments would go on for far too long. Once they'd decided they didn't like a player, it seemed they'd often go pretty public with that dislike and it also seemed close to impossible for that player to win back their trust. At that stage, the discipline ceases to be motivating and just becomes disheartening.

With Erik, there aren't many players who I would say haven't been given a fair chance in the side. Equally, when he has laid down the law (with Ronaldo and Rashford primarily), he's given the players in question ample opportunity to make amends.

I know there's a RedCafe meme about this, but City really is his biggest test as United manager so far.

Pep’s idea of mind games is to fellate the opposing manager endlessly, he’s been doing it for years If he was a member of the Caf he’d be making a “we’ve got no chance of beating United” thread.

And folk said the time of strict discipline had passed, too old school they said.

His disciplinarian attitude reminds me of Fergie although Fergie did end up making exceptions for the likes of Cantona and you know who, wonder if Eric will do the same if a player of that caliber arrives.

Last edited:
And folk said the time of strict discipline had passed, too old school they said.

His disciplinarian attitude reminds me of Fergie although Fergie did end up making except for the likes of Cantona and you know who, wonder if Eric will do the same if a player of that caliber arrives.
Think it's only possible if the board fully back you.

We got ETH in at the right moment. We were at our lowest so the players were more likely to be open to it.

He's now earned their respect, handled 2 of our biggest names with great authority and is getting the results to back it up.

The likes of Moyes couldn't come in and do that. It just shows what a great job he is doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.