Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dean Holden is from Salford. He played in United's academy but left to join Bolton because he thought he'd have a better chance of playing. Him and his dad both still have season tickets at OT.

I was impressed with the quality Charlton played as a League One team.

Goes beyond that. LVG and Mourinho are top class but they’re training methods don’t work in today’s leagues. Ten Hag’s principles are built on traditional Dutch methods but are amazingly adaptable. He’s pragmatic. We know for a fact that the goalkeeper is meant to be as much as a pattern creator in his systems as the defenders, yet he improvised knowing DDG is at goal. His biggest problems were in midfield and defence. Now that he’s sorting that out, he will fix the attack with depth purchases - of course a star striker as well. Once that is done, he will go to the GK. LVG and Mourinho both had some good signings in their eras - yet their methods didn’t sit entirely well with players or fans or both at times. ETH is very good at managing tough situations as evidenced by the Ronaldo situation. He manages to retain player trust despite booting out a hero for many of his players and fans. Not to mention a club legend adored by our GOAT manager.

No question his situation was helped with timely acquisitions, but I am of the belief that Ten Hag - having coached at Utrecht and making that team into a formidable team in Eredivisie - is capable of doing much with little. It’s an underdog’s fighting spirit. We very much are underdogs these days and Ten Hag is instilling that fight back into the club.

Saturday will be huge. I expect us to lose. But if we can give City hell and show that despite not having 100s of millions of pounds sitting on the bench as City does, we can trouble City and do it with the principles he’s set in place, it will be a clear sign of progress. A stark difference from the capitulations of the last 2 years.

People Point to Ole’s victories against City. I think those victories would have been great had the philosophy of the team been something more. Because clearly those wins didn’t lead anywhere. It didn’t instil ironclad belief in Ole’s methods as evidenced by the disaster of 2021-22. Erik must play City as he would any team. It is there we must show progress.
Fair and well constructed post. I felt Mourinho was a manager, personality but not a coach as such, and Van Gaal was a coach but one set in his ways and inflexible in modern football.

ETH is however a mix of a good man manager but also an outstanding football coach adaptable to the requirements of the modern game. Just what the club desperately needed, particularly after the Ole/Rangnick era.

Remember all those world class players Leicester signed that one season they were in the Champions League? Them, Barcelona, and Real Madrid were the three clubs every player dreamed of joining.

I don't think anyone is claiming it's the only factor though.. it just counts for something

I trust him with my life. Wouldn’t swap him for any fecker.

Yeah I love him. He's done an astonishing job. I thought we'd need an Arteta style rebuild but he's just skipped that, though was massively aided to have Eriksen and Casemiro want to come here. Not sure what we would have done without them. DM we might have filled okay (not Casemiro's level, but overpaying for Edson Alvarez would have probably been a B+/A- solution) but a #8 after losing De Jong would have been a tough call for him. Guys like Soler and Koopmeiners were available with the money saved from not paying Eriksen and a slightly lower fee at DM, but that's a huge downgrade in terms of ball progression.

People deride "sexy footballing hipsters choice" but it served us well here and would have been better choices than the other post-Fergie ones, which is to say Pochettino instead of Van Gaal that summer and I'm not sure who in 2013, Jorge Jesus? That one would have failed, though.

Is there a single player who's regressed under him other than Cristiano? And that was hardly Ten Hag's "fault" and was the right move. Even McTominay has had useful moments despite being lost and the guys who aren't good fits like Wan-Bissaka are still improving. I guess Sancho counts, but that seems like a personal issue and him agreeing to go to the Netherlands suggests he's bought in.

So you think he should be our starting cm? He’s a good player don’t get me wrong but we need to get a player for the long term. He’ll add better depth and quality rather then always having to go to Fred and mctominay for options in midfield.
On the basis of what you're suggesting we need to find a long term player to replace Casemiro as well for the exact same reason

This is one top level bloke with the added bonus he knows exactly what he’s doing and, as some have said, he seems to have that gift of luck.

With City going out, the Carabao Cup is there for the taking too. Would be immense for ETH to win a trophy in his first year. Not just for him, but the team. Winning things can often breed winning more things.

Exactly. We don't often get this level of semi-final and final opponent. We should win the cup fairly easily. Hopefully this'll inspire us to go on a run in the league and hunt down Arsenal.

Is he really hipster to be honest? He's pretty obsessed with winning and quite pragmatic when it's required , he's no idealist.

Exactly. We don't often get this level of semi-final and final opponent. We should win the cup fairly easily. Hopefully this'll inspire us to go on a run in the league and hunt down Arsenal.
I’ve got a good feeling about our club for the first time in a good few years. Feels like an eternity since our football last felt really enjoyable.

On the basis of what you're suggesting we need to find a long term player to replace Casemiro as well for the exact same reason
I know we do. But we’ll get another good 2 years out of him. We need a younger version of eriksen and someone with more stamina. Imagine that partnering Casemiro.

have a great shot at silverware with the mickey cup now that City is out....should be able to dispatch Forrest but it'll be tricky simple b/c those matches are around some big PL matches

lets hope Soton can take care of Newcastle as a one off against them wouldn't be simple

Is he really hipster to be honest? He's pretty obsessed with winning and quite pragmatic when it's required , he's no idealist.
He drinks single source Ethiopian coffee which is roasted by a guy named Florian who donates the proceeds to non-binary dogs. So I would say he is

Of course it matters, top players either want a club currently in the CL or with strong prospects of soon reaching the CL. The former is better than the latter, and obviously money can make up to some extent, but that's not ideal.

”Currently” means next to nothing for players, as we’ve proven time and time again signing top players since SAF left even when we’re not in it. Just this Summer we signed Casemiro ffs, previously we’ve had the likes of Pogba & Zlatan.

The ”project” and money is what matters to players, not one season of guaranteed CL football.

”Currently” means next to nothing for players, as we’ve proven time and time again signing top players since SAF left even when we’re not in it. Just this Summer we signed Casemiro ffs, previously we’ve had the likes of Pogba & Zlatan.

The ”project” and money is what matters to players, not one season of guaranteed CL football.

The "project" is CL football and success. To argue that players don't care about CL football is a bit bizarre. Of course they do.

If we're playing in the Europa again next season then we're clearly a less attractive destination for any top player.

The hipster era is over, pretty much all of them ended up busted flushes.
Is arteta one? He might be the only that hasn't failed...yet.
He drinks single source Ethiopian coffee which is roasted by a guy named Florian who donates the proceeds to non-binary dogs. So I would say he is
Nah our erik only drinks unfiltered vodka, don't let him fool ya.

The "project" is CL football and success. To argue that players don't care about CL football is a bit bizarre. Of course they do.

Who argued players don’t care about CL football? Certainly not me.

What players don’t do is make huge career choices on something as daft as who is currently in the CL for the coming season. Especially in England you’d be an idiot to do so, as aside from City, there’s zero guarantee you’ll be in the CL for anything more than 3.5 months of your 4-5 year deal.
As we keep proving, give players a project to believe in and good money, and they sign regardless.

Is ETH really as pragmatic as people are suggesting? I think he’s very much an attack minded manager. He’s also a possession based manager, loves the team to keep the ball and move it forward quickly. He realised after the first 2 games that he had to organise the defence to have any chance of success this season and he’s done that. then he bought a world class DM to glue the team together and now everything’s working nicely.

If you think Bellingham would choose Conference League with Liverpool over CL with Real Madrid you're in for a surprise.

Hmmmm… I think if Liverpool miss out on CL this season but have a top end to the season, say winning the FA Cup & going deep in the CL, and then strengthen in the Summer, there’s a huge chance Bellingham still goes there.
If the dippers beat Madrid in a few weeks and Madrid miss out on La Liga, then even moreso.
One year of CL participation won’t decide his future that’s for sure.

Kinda the point. I'm pretty confident we'll get CL and that he wouldn't go to the dippers to play in Turkmenistan over us either.
Oh ye, absolutely not. It will be either us or Madrid if we get top 4 but I think he may even choose us over Madrid..: I’m sure he’s said he wants to play in the prem 1 day. Wasn’t we close to signing him from Birmingham before Dortmund got him?

I don’t think he likes grunge music and I’ve never seen him wear flannel shirts so I don’t think he’s a hipster :wenger:

So in the context of choosing which B6 club to join, do you really think the prospect of CL football isn't a big part of what makes a "project" appealing?

Remember all those world class players Leicester signed that one season they were in the Champions League? Them, Barcelona, and Real Madrid were the three clubs every player dreamed of joining.
Awful comparison. If a player is deciding if he should join Liverpool or Chelsea or United or Arsenal, do you really think a club that was a 1/5000 to win the league club will be looked at in the same context?

So in the context of choosing which B6 club to join, do you really think the prospect of CL football isn't a big part of what makes a "project" appealing?

The project the players buy into is playing for a team that will compete with the best. Zlatan, Pogba didn’t join a CL club but both thought with Mourinho at the helm that we’d be a top club again with them in the side, and with that they’ll expect to be featuring in the top competitions. Same goes for Casemiro.

Nothing is guaranteed in football, United, Chelsea and Arsenal have all spent time out of the CL.

Put it this way, if Spurs squeeze into the top 4, and Liverpool miss out, I’d still fully expect a player given a choice of them or Liverpool in the Summer will take Liverpool. They’d trust that with Klopp at the helm, good times are coming back.

Oh ye, absolutely not. It will be either us or Madrid if we get top 4 but I think he may even choose us over Madrid..: I’m sure he’s said he wants to play in the prem 1 day. Wasn’t we close to signing him from Birmingham before Dortmund got him?
Fergie and Cantona took him round Carrington trying to convince him but he preferred Dortmund's project, rightfully so. If I was him though I'd spend the next few years at Real and then head to England in his prime to stay there til he retires.

The project the players buy into is playing for a team that will compete with the best. Zlatan, Pogba didn’t join a CL club but both thought with Mourinho at the helm that we’d be a top club again with them in the side, and with that they’ll expect to be featuring in the top competitions. Same goes for Casemiro.

Nothing is guaranteed in football, United, Chelsea and Arsenal have all spent time out of the CL.

Put it this way, if Spurs squeeze into the top 4, and Liverpool miss out, I’d still fully expect a player given a choice of them or Liverpool in the Summer will take Liverpool. They’d trust that with Klopp at the helm, good times are coming back.
You essentially paraphrased the point I was making. When a player evaluates a project, for players like Pogba and Ibrahimovic, the likelihood of CL football is a criteria in the evaluation.

You essentially paraphrased the point I was making. When a player evaluates a project, for players like Pogba and Ibrahimovic, the likelihood of CL football is a criteria in the evaluation.

Likelihood is pie in the sky though, there’s nothing tangible about it, that’s the point. Both Varane and Ronaldo didn’t sign expecting to be in the Europa League this season, Casemiro signed knowing it, but hoping the project will work and that he and the team will be successful.
I’ll make the point again, players don’t base their huge career decisions on which team just qualified for the CL. It’d be stupid as feck to do so. The likes of Zlatan, Cas, Pogba are all proof of this.

Last edited:
In retrospect we got enormously lucky ajax lost that semi final because I'm absolutely sure he would have moved to somewhere like Barcelona afterwards while wouldn't really be in for him.

Pochetino did us a favor after all.

I gotta be honest. ETH doesnt strike me as likeable for one second but if he continues like this I couldn't give a f...
From what I remember of him at Ajax, the guy has always been perceived as a bit of a quirky character, if not a bit of a weirdo.

But that doesn't mean he's not likeable in his own way. If anything, I love that he's got a different personality. He's just all business and by golly, we definitely could have used that in the summer.

He also is not just work but he's very much about that team spirit. He may not lead the dancing at parties but tbh, I wouldn't want my boss doing that.

And if you look at some of the things Pep has said (and still says), he's just as much, if not more, of a weirdo.

Status
Not open for further replies.