Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
You said no one in our current squad is worth 200k.

Are you accepting now that you were wrong?

If so we can draw a line under this and move on
Nope, £200k is the limit. I don’t care what any other clubs are paying. We shouldn’t pander to daft wages, it has to stop. No one with worth over £200k and I don’t care what VVD, Salah, De Bryune or Jesus is making. More fool their clubs for paying it.

Nope, £200k is the limit. I don’t care what any other clubs are paying. We shouldn’t pander to daft wages, it has to stop. No one with worth over £200k and I don’t care what VVD, Salah, De Bryune or Jesus is making. More fool their clubs for paying it.

Okay but you’re living in a fantasy land

I’ve googled it as suggested and found his Madrid wage to be 202k per week.

I’m surprised you thought he was on 90k a week tbh.
Well he’s on £350k at United and most reports say he doubled his wage, some even say he was on £90k back in 20/21 but I don’t know if there was add ons etc involved.

There’s not a single player in our entire squad that is worth more than that or would get more than that elsewhere, this has been a long time coming. If they don’t like it, I hear Burnley’s nice this time of year.

If you don’t think there’s not a single player in our squad that is worth more than 200k or would get more elsewhere you’re clearly wrong.

As already pointed out with rival wages.

Okay but you’re living in a fantasy land
Fine mate, I’ll accept that but something has to give. We’ve become a retirement home for playboy millionaires and face it, last season we thought we’d been robbed again for Varane and Casemiro could have easily been another Sanchez situation under a different manager. We’re only having this debate because they’ve both come good, but history suggests we’d be stuck with more overpaid, semi retired shite any other season.

If you don’t think there’s not a single player in our squad that is worth more than 200k or would get more elsewhere you’re clearly wrong.

As already pointed out with rival wages.
Great, join Chelsea then, join arsenal, I’d rather those players go there and feck those teams up instead of playing for us on £350k a week and being absolutely shite.

Fine mate, I’ll accept that but something has to give. We’ve become a retirement home for playboy millionaires and face it, last season we thought we’d been robbed again for Varane and Casemiro could have easily been another Sanchez situation under a different manager. We’re only having this debate because they’ve both come good, but history suggests we’d be stuck with more overpaid, semi retired shite any other season.

Come good? they are proven world class players. You get what you pay for.

If we want to compete for the best players then we have to pay comparable to our rivals.

Look @crossy1686 I actually agree with your principle that we’ve been quick to hand out big wages to less deserving players in recent times.

That said you can’t wade in with a statement like Varane and Casemiro aren’t worth 200k per week and neither have done anything similar to KdB, Kane, Jesus, Salah etc.

It’s just utter nonsense.

When you have VVD being paid 220k, Koulibaly 300k, Trent 180k, Reece James 250k of course Varane is worth at least 200k in the current market given his CV.

The same for Casemiro when you consider KdB is on 400k, Grealish 300k, Kante 295k.

Yes salaries in football are ridiculous. Totally agree but the fact is the market is what it is currently and United do have at least two players worth more than 200k.

I think people are slightly on the wrong track with the salary cap thing, I haven't had a chance to read the article but I'm going to assume 200k as the base salary will be the cap but to go above that will include all sorts of bonuses and such depending on the player. Personally I only see this as a good thing, this club has massively overpaid players in the past that have had absolutely no right to be paid as much as they have considering the output. Some of them still play for us for christs sake.

If it means getting in a higher influx of young hungry players as opposed to primadonnas joining us only for money i'll take that everyday of the week.

Varane is worth £100 million a every month if the Glazers are worth £1 billion over the last decade.

I think people are slightly on the wrong track with the salary cap thing, I haven't had a chance to read the article but I'm going to assume 200k as the base salary will be the cap but to go above that will include all sorts of bonuses and such depending on the player. Personally I only see this as a good thing, this club has massively overpaid players in the past that have had absolutely no right to be paid as much as they have considering the output. Some of them still play for us for christs sake.

If it means getting in a higher influx of young hungry players as opposed to primadonnas joining us only for money i'll take that everyday of the week.

Yeah I agree.

It seems over the last 12-24 months the club has moved towards heavily adding incentives in to contracts. This was something Liverpool did and was the reason they had the highest wage bill in the season they won the CL and then the League.

A number of players took paycuts this year of up to 25% due to failure to qualify for the CL.

Casemiro only gets the top bracket of his wage if we hit all of our targets too for example.

He was on 200 Pesetas, a Mars bar and a packet of Skips.

Perez is one sneaky son of a bitch.
That's because players want to play for Real Madrid and are willing to be paid below their worth for the opportunity.

I think this wage discussion deserves its own thread. While it has its merits, its just taking away from the general discussion about Ten Hag (yeah I know he's part of this decision too).

i think the 200k max salary is a brilliant move on their part...if players or the club feel they need or deserve more then you make it performance related bonuses just like every other sport in the world does

He's building something special here, I can feel it.

If he was to get us a European cup and a domestic cup then he should be in the running for the manager of the year.

forget 2013-2019 and just the sheer shit we bought that made little to no contribution for most of them....here are just the last three windows which is about 400m spent. Not a player on the list, bar Bruno, that has done fuk all for this club and actually is a contributor right now. Varane will get there if he stays fit and healthy as will Sancho, IMO. I mean it's shocking and you see why EtH made the comments that he did on just how poor the transfer business has been done by this club.

2019/20
TRANSFERS IN:
  • Harry Maguire: £80m
  • Aaron Wan-Bissaka: £50m
  • Dan James: £15m
  • Bruno Fernandes: £47m
  • Hannibal Mejbri: £9m
  • Odion Ighalo: Loan
2020/21
TRANSFERS IN:

• Donny van de Beek: £35m
  • Alex Telles: £13m
  • Amad: £19m
  • Facundo Pellistri: £7m
  • Edinson Cavani: Free
  • Willy Kambwala: £3m
2021/22
TRANSFERS IN:

• Cristiano Ronaldo: £12.8m
  • Jadon Sancho: £73m
  • Raphael Varane: £34m
  • Tom Heaton: Free

honestly the more and more i've looked at the list...the more frusttrating and annoying it is that cvnts like Peter Kenyon were allowed to make transfer decisions for this club. As much people want to harp on Fergie, losing David Gill was as bad if not worse for the club

Man it feels so good going in to games knowing you have a modern manager who can handle difficult problems and also cultivate standards at the same time as the Glazers are fecking off, there is legitimately genuine hope for the future again i was practically hate watching under the last two or three managers. Just so vindicating watching it blossom especially with all the week to week back and forth arguments about the manager/s not being the problem.

We were being scammed for the last 10 years with excuses to hide our failure and incompetency of the board running Man Utd.

"We need to be patient and give the manager time, he needs at least 3 years to implement his philosophy" bullshit.

ETH is a real world class manager. It's night and day. Not just smiling and let the player enjoy themselves on the pitch.

And now the fecking Glazers try to make his life difficult again by only allowing to sign a cheap stop gap striker in Jan. ETH success is in spite of the incompetent Glazers and the board.

Hang on, how does the club reinforce this structure, if true? Players with contract in-place won’t renegotiate their wage, so this will only apply to contract renewal and new signings? If so, how can we retain and attract top-class players if there’s a wage cap that is not competitive to what other clubs are willing to pay? A real time example, when we need to renew Rashford’s contract and he‘s been scoring for fun, would we just offer him 200k per week when he could have better offer elsewhere? So if he decides to go elsewhere, we’ll need to find someone else of similar caliber for that same money, plus transfer fee? Sounds like an incredibly dumb business decision to me (to put it lightly). At the end of the day, it will be case-by-case just like it ever has been.

This wage capping sounds all good and idealistic but not realistic. Wages will always be dictated by the market.

If the rate for top players salaries is 300k + then that's what they'll get otherwise none will be coming here nor would the ones here renew their contracts. No one will be willing to play for a salary under market value.

So unless there is more to this story then it would never work.

Hang on, how does the club reinforce this structure, if true? Players with contract in-place won’t renegotiate their wage, so this will only apply to contract renewal and new signings? If so, how can we retain and attract top-class players if there’s a wage cap that is not competitive to what other clubs are willing to pay? A real time example, when we need to renew Rashford’s contract and he‘s been scoring for fun, would we just offer him 200k per week when he could have better offer elsewhere? So if he decides to go elsewhere, we’ll need to find someone else of similar caliber for that same money, plus transfer fee? Sounds like an incredibly dumb business decision to me (to put it lightly). At the end of the day, it will be case-by-case just like it ever has been.
Imo if the cap is applied there'd be still exception. But the player has to earn that exception with their performance on the field.

The new cap rule will simply allow the club to negotiate better with players imo. For example if we renew with Sancho we can tell him hey there's a 200k cap here if you want more you have to earn that like Rashford. If you don't agree ok fine we'll sell you in the summer. The important thing here is we'll need to renew with players basically each or two years. Never wait till their last two years.

This approach would motivate our players as well imo. If you want more money you'd need to play better. And we'd know if a player doesn't plan or want to be here anymore so we can sell them before their contracts expire.

Curious to know what people think his plan B will be. My guess is we'll see it a bit by the end of the season, but not solidly establish it until next year.

Potter's Brighton 3-6-1 maybe, with Malacia or Dalot or Shaw firmly in the role Rico Lewis plays in midfield when we have the ball?

This wage capping sounds all good and idealistic but not realistic. Wages will always be dictated by the market.

If the rate for top players salaries is 300k + then that's what they'll get otherwise none will be coming here nor would the ones here renew their contracts. No one will be willing to play for a salary under market value.

So unless there is more to this story then it would never work.
The system will change, but that means players can make as much as before. But the fix part will decrease while bonuses will increase. Makes total sense and I am sure more clubs will follow.

ETH admitted he wants to sign Jude Bellingham. He was signing autographs for fans and one asked can you sign Bellingham and he said ‘want to’ then they asked for mbappe he said have you got penny’s for me :lol: :lol:

That wage thing, certainly at that price, has to be nonsense. I get we've got plenty over paid players, but it would be a step backwards at this point, and basically not exactly further us. Just pay players what they're actually worth.

I understand where you’re coming from.

I think you need to consider the possibility that the interview was given with the club’s blessing though. The club’s own TV station broadcast an interview with Ander Herrera recently in which he was openly critical of the previous regime.

Richard Arnold seems happy to throw Ed Woodward under the bus, and frankly I don’t blame him. If he can get others to fire the bullets that’s fair enough.

Ronaldo’s interview was openly critical of the current regime, which is an altogether different matter.
You are right, that’s a valid comment. It is possible that it is part of United’s strategy to either strengthen ETH’s brand or to send a message that they have taken measures to improve. It still done on the expense on other people who served/serve the club and I don’t like it either way.

Another thing on the topic, It is also putting unnecessary pressure on himself and some players to reach success soon. What we need is continuity; not that he is replaced after two years if he doesn’t improve from the “average” past . Mourinho and OGS managed to get two PL 2nd place, 1 EL trophy, 1 EL final as their biggest achievements. These achievements are not good enough for United. However by saying this is average, poorly executed and the average people didn’t have what it took, he basically says he should also be sacked after two seasons if he doesn’t improve from the average achievements, ie he must win PL next season or at least the season after that. And that his players didn’t have what it took.

I understand that in the long run, the only acceptable outcome from ETH is winning the PL. But I have a lot of patience since I like what I see. I can easily wait 2-3 more season before wanting him to be sacked, even though I doubt he will get much more time than Mourinho and OGS.

ETH admitted he wants to sign Jude Bellingham. He was signing autographs for fans and one asked can you sign Bellingham and he said ‘want to’ then they asked for mbappe he said have you got penny’s for me :lol: :lol:

Come February, if we're still in both cups and are looking good for top 4, I'd play weaker team against Barca in EL and focus on 3 domestic competitions. I too would love us to try and go all the way in all 4 comps but think at some point it would start hurting us. Don't care that much about Europa anyways after we won it in 2017 and managed not to win it in 2020 and 2021. Tired of it actually.

That wage thing, certainly at that price, has to be nonsense. I get we've got plenty over paid players, but it would be a step backwards at this point, and basically not exactly further us. Just pay players what they're actually worth.
It's from the mail so certainly rubbish

Status
Not open for further replies.