Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny that Eric Ten Hag is getting the most out of these players, his name spells 'reteaching' as an anagram.

Come February, if we're still in both cups and are looking good for top 4, I'd play weaker team against Barca in EL and focus on 3 domestic competitions. I too would love us to try and go all the way in all 4 comps but think at some point it would start hurting us. Don't care that much about Europa anyways after we won it in 2017 and managed not to win it in 2020 and 2021. Tired of it actually.
I dont like losing. That means I pretty much want all 4 trophies even though it's near impossible.

Come February, if we're still in both cups and are looking good for top 4, I'd play weaker team against Barca in EL and focus on 3 domestic competitions. I too would love us to try and go all the way in all 4 comps but think at some point it would start hurting us. Don't care that much about Europa anyways after we won it in 2017 and managed not to win it in 2020 and 2021. Tired of it actually.
Unless we're in with a shout of winning the league than we should focus on the europa, it's more prestigious than any domestic cup and it would be nice to add an European terophy, plus a seed 1 placement in the ucl.

Few months into the job, we can see discipline, style of play, team work, great signings, resuscitate deadwoods, put the prima donnas in their place and many more.

Keep this guy long term and he could be our SAF 2.0.

I was just looking at our recent results and I just kept scrolling. We've just won so many games this season.

And it's not been boring or crazy but a nice mix of control and a bit of rock and roll

I was just looking at our recent results and I just kept scrolling. We've just won so many games this season.

And it's not been boring or crazy but a nice mix of control and a bit of rock and roll

Funny enough too it’s not like we’ve had some of those phantom results where we just bury the only chances we have all game and the score line flatters us. We’ve generally been mediocre in the final third, which is encouraging.

Funny enough too it’s not like we’ve had some of those phantom results where we just bury the only chances we have all game and the score line flatters us. We’ve generally been mediocre in the final third, which is encouraging.

Yeah, it's been the opposite of Ole's start in that way, while otherwise being as good/better. This seems like it should be a hell of a lot more sustainable.

Yeah, it's been the opposite of Ole's start in that way, while otherwise being as good/better. This seems like it should be a hell of a lot more sustainable.

Nothing under Ole ever looked remotely sustainable, and alas, wasn't.

Depressing that we all argued over giving managers time, the players being mercenaries, sacking everyone to support the manager etc.

Turns out all we needed was a decent coach all along and we'd have been fine. Chelsea are having the exact same arguments amongst themselves as fans that we've been having for years right now. Feels good to finally be on the other side of that shite.

Depressing that we all argued over giving managers time, the players being mercenaries, sacking everyone to support the manager etc.

Turns out all we needed was a decent coach all along and we'd have been fine. Chelsea are having the exact same arguments amongst themselves as fans that we've been having for years right now. Feels good to finally be on the other side of that shite.
Well, I wanted OGS out in 2020, tbh but I was told I was not a believer.

Well, I wanted OGS out in 2020, tbh but I was told I was not a believer.
Yep, we all should have just come round to that idea. I truly believed they just needed time to implement their own ideas and players who were willing to buy in, turns out they just needed a good manager.

They'll get away with whatever you let them get away with so the control and standards have to start at the manager.

To be fair, Ten Hag has made some masterful signings that have truly shined this season and have been the backbone of this team. As good as he is, I don't think he would have turned McFred and Maguire-Lindelof into a winning team. That said, this is one of the greatest things about a manager - to identify good players who fit in his system and utilize them the best. This was the problem with Ole - he had no system and had no idea what kind of players he needs to buy. So he just went out and brought "good players" but simply buying good players is not enough. You need to actually identify players that will help your team, not just a bunch of individuals. This was also one of SAF's greatest strengths. Even when he didn't have much money to spend, he knew what players would fit his mold and how they can be useful even if they were not the greatest of players.

Still hilarious that we had that absurd away record at one point. That was such a smoke and mirrors record
Think it just suited our counter attacking style + we rode our luck numberous times.

The team certainly had a 'never dead' attitude under Ole that's for sure.

I often wonder what might have happened if Ole didn't disregard midfield as important, and managed to get Haaland.

Think it just suited our counter attacking style + we rode our luck numberous times.

I often wonder what might have happened if Ole didn't disregard midfield as important, and managed to get Haaland.
In fairness to Ole he was after Haaland and Bellingham long before they became superstars. Unfortunately we didn't get either but Ole's instincts were correct.

Absolutely!

Some get married to the idea that 'x' manager is right for their club, and think time and money will fix everything. With Ole, it was always clear that he was nowhere near good enough, but some had convinced themselves that he was doing a good job. Ole should never have gotten the fulltime gig, and imo, should have been sacked before he even got a chance to bring Bruno in. Us sticking with managers who clearly aren't up to it, has massively fecked us over post-Fergie.

Chelsea fans are going through the same sort of situation with Potter, where there seems to be a-lot of mental gymnastics. Tbf, it's too early to tell if he'll fail, but the signs are pointing in that direction. He deserves the summer window to see what he can do, but if they're still playing as poorly next season, he should be sacked.

To be fair, Ten Hag has made some masterful signings that have truly shined this season and have been the backbone of this team. As good as he is, I don't think he would have turned McFred and Maguire-Lindelof into a winning team. That said, this is one of the greatest things about a manager - to identify good players who fit in his system and utilize them the best. This was the problem with Ole - he had no system and had no idea what kind of players he needs to buy. So he just went out and brought "good players" but simply buying good players is not enough. You need to actually identify players that will help your team, not just a bunch of individuals. This was also one of SAF's greatest strengths. Even when he didn't have much money to spend, he knew what players would fit his mold and how they can be useful even if they were not the greatest of players.
In other words the manager has a predetermined idea of how his team will operate and builds the squad accordingly. Sounds straight forward, but Ole obviously didn’t have a tactical plan when he arrived so relied on a team packed with big names to go out and deliver.

I do not mind losing to City and Arsenal and a worst case scenario of missing out of the top 4 if that happens.

I know he will try his best to go for the win and at this moment that is all i can ask for.

I am confident he knows what he is doing and will recruit sensibly next season with not top players, but players who fit in to his system.

Changing the mentality of the club slowly. Very happy and he has been the best signing in a long long time for United.

Chelsea fans are going through the same sort of situation with Potter, where there seems to be a-lot of mental gymnastics. Tbf, it's too early to tell if he'll fail, but the signs are pointing in that direction. He deserves the summer window to see what he can do, but if they're still playing as poorly next season, he should be sacked.
To be fair to Potter though, he has been a success at every club he's been, to a large extent really because of himself, and that buys him a bit more credit than others. But at all those clubs, he had time to change things as he wanted to, while Chelsea is obviously a more difficult case that requires immediate success and might have higher expectations of very expensive signings that might fit Potter less. So I would suggest it might make sense to give him time there - but then Chelsea of course has never been a patient club that's happy to wait for things to click into place. (Which is exactly why it didn't seem like a good destination for Potter to me. But maybe their new owner changes that, too.)

It's getting a bit off topic now, but I'm just trying to say that it's not so black and white: that either no-one or everyone needs time. Instead, I would argue that the main criterion should be a sense of progress: despite possibly disappointing results (and squad quality), is a style of play emerging that is likely to lead to success? I have no idea about Potter in that regard, but I would argue that this is where Ole wasn't looking good and Ten Hag is - regardless of current results or what happens against City and Arsenal.

Last edited:
I do not mind losing to City and Arsenal and a worst case scenario of missing out of the top 4 if that happens.

I know he will try his best to go for the win and at this moment that is all i can ask for.

I am confident he knows what he is doing and will recruit sensibly next season with not top players, but players who fit in to his system.

Changing the mentality of the club slowly. Very happy and he has been the best signing in a long long time for United.
Even if we lose to both Arsenal and City it's not the end of the world. It's not yet half way through the season and we would have played the two best teams in the PL twice. We just need to continue to beat the teams at our level and below us and we will finish in the top 4 and maybe win 1 cup

To be fair to Potter though, he has been a success at every club he's been, to a large extent really because of himself, and that buys him a bit more credit than others. But at all those clubs, he had time to change things as he wanted to, while Chelsea is obviously a more difficult case that requires immediate success and might have higher expectations of very expensive signings that might fit Potter less. So I would suggest it might make sense to give him time there - but then Chelsea of course has never been a patient club that's happy to wait for things to click into place. (Which is exactly why it didn't seem like a good destination for Potter to me. But maybe their new owner changes that, too.)

It's getting a bit off topic now, but I'm just trying to say that it's not so black and white: that either no-one or everyone needs time. Instead, I would argue that the main criterion should be a sense of progress: despite possibly disappointing results (and squad quality), is a style of play emerging that is likely to lead to success? I have no idea about Potter in thiatregard, but I would argue that this is where Ole wasn't looking good and Ten Hag is - regardless of current results or what happens against City and Arsenal.

I agree with this tbf, and I do think he deserves the summer window and more time to see how it pans out.

Think ETH will have a master plan for the games against city and arsenal. He’s a manager that has a plan for pretty much every game. Be interesting what he does against city though. Will he go toe to toe with them or let them have the ball and counter? Most teams have success against them when countering like we did Under Ole. Casemiro didn’t start against them at their place so we’ll already be better of when they come to our ground.

It wasn't our best game but some of the passing and movement against Everton was scintillating, it feels like it's all starting to really click.

When I was watching clips of Ajax before he joined I thought there's no chance he gets us playing like that this season but we're not far off now.

:lol: It says between £90k to £175k on the reports I read. It was probably net and gross values on different sites.

It’s rather easy with La Liga sides, he was on £197,000 /week, which was an absolute steal. Courtois was getting 271k /week, Alaba 376k /week, Hazard over 400k, Kroos on 329k /week.

We got Varane & Casemiro because we were prepared to pay them a wage to put them on parity or thereabouts with their peers (Kante gets 290, Kroos 329, VVD 276, De Ligt almost 300k), a wage the pair would demand and receive anywhere but Real. At Real fecking Isco was getting paid better than them :lol:

Last edited:
It wasn't our best game but some of the passing and movement against Everton was scintillating, it feels like it's all starting to really click.

When I was watching clips of Ajax before he joined I thought there's no chance he gets us playing like that this season but we're not far off now.
Ye we’ll see a lot of that this season. Think we was a bit open against Everton though. Was end to end. We need more games like the one against spurs when we dominated them and kept them in their halve.

Ye we’ll see a lot of that this season. Think we was a bit open against Everton though. Was end to end. We need more games like the one against spurs when we dominated them and kept them in their halve.
Win first priority, domination second priority

Must be nice having a proper manager, eh? Oh wait! I remember. Bollocks. And some people thought Schreuder was the driving force behind ETH in 2018/2019.

Even if we lose to both Arsenal and City it's not the end of the world. It's not yet half way through the season and we would have played the two best teams in the PL twice. We just need to continue to beat the teams at our level and below us and we will finish in the top 4 and maybe win 1 cup

Yeah, makes sense.

My only worry is, losing to both badly might push us on a downward spiral which we will need to avoid and that is where players like Casemiro and Varane come in with their experience. Hope everything works out in our favour.

Just hoping that if we beat both, we can say that Ten Hag has certainly brought United a title challenge which itself is a great thing. It will surely give us wings to carry on for the rest of the season in high confidence.

We probably still would have been an undercoached side that had flashes of idiocy and no real plan about how we wanted to play.

I mean Ole was here for 3 years and up until his final day we never figured out how to play out from the back while being pressed high up the pitch, even by low level teams. The plan was "hoof it to Rashy" or just give it to Pogba and hope he pulls all worldy out of his back pocket.

Interested to see how he responds to the reverse fixture against city. Got it wrong in that game but I have faith he gets it right this weekend.

We probably still would have been an undercoached side that had flashes of idiocy and no real plan about how we wanted to play.

I mean Ole was here for 3 years and up until his final day we never figured out how to play out from the back while being pressed high up the pitch, even by low level teams. The plan was "hoof it to Rashy" or just give it to Pogba and hope he pulls all worldy out of his back pocket.
true that.

Status
Not open for further replies.