Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
So nothing to do with him playing a balanced midfield of Matić Herrera and Pogba?

Things started going pear shaped the moment he gave that up and reverted to Jose’s horrid 4-2-3-1. God knows why.
Think Herrera got injured then left in the summer.

These two were very good under LVG especially Rashford, so I’m not sure what you’re talking about.
Shaw was good for about 8 games in LvG's second season and then broke his leg. He was neither good nor bad in his first season.

I was very much concerned with his obsession of wanting players he worked with before. But I think he would have learnt his lesson as well with the success of Casemiro signing.

Yeah definitely although got no problem with him wanting De Jong but it's not reciprocated

Who was the jackass trying to throw everyone and their mom at the club under the bus with the Sancho questions?

Absolutely love the way he handles the media.

I was very much concerned with his obsession of wanting players he worked with before. But I think he would have learnt his lesson as well with the success of Casemiro signing.
The issue was that he could not rely on our scouting, so he had to revert to what he knew. Plus Martinez and Antony are huge talents so it made sense to sign them

We really play like a top team should be. Squashing the thought that manager need 1 - 2 years to implement his "philosophy".

We really play like a top team should be. Squashing the thought that manager need 1 - 2 years to implement his "philosophy".

That was always bs, as you could easily see it happen at loads of other clubs. Impossible to convince some of the people on here over the last 4-5 years though. It was always some excuse about needing a minimum of 3 seasons to even see any sort of progress

Now if people can clock onto this logic for players, that would be great.

One/two poor games and you hold bench. One poor season and you get squad status at best. Second poor/average season and you should get sold.

One/two poor games and you hold bench. One poor season and you get squad status at best. Second poor/average season and you should get sold.

Rashford?

Rashford?
My opinion on him is well documented but I suppose those thresholds are there for when we have a manager like EtH. It's been a volatile period at United as of late.

These two were very good under LVG especially Rashford, so I’m not sure what you’re talking about.

Lots of people still manage to perform very well under management that isn't the best in all walks of life.

My post was a very simple one regarding my guessing that people working under less toxic management feel more happy.

If you are actually "not sure" what I am talking about then I have no way to simplify it further I am afraid. Apologies but I do not believe that is down to my ability to write things that are easily comprehendible and I feel it would be rude to try and find specific reasons why that is which I won't do.

I think the elegant way Ronaldo was ousted was as much (if not more) down to Arnold being unafraid to take an axe to Woodward’s blunders.

I would imagine in a multi billion pound company a lot of people have a say no?

I imagine his direct line manager has some influence over how things are dealt with.

For the first time in years we've got a manager at the top of his game with the ability to compete with the very best.

Give him another window or 2 and we'll be right up there for the biggest honours again. Sensational coach, which we already knew but what's surprised me the most is how much authority he commands, everyone knows he's the boss. I think the way he handled Ronaldo sped up the process, but he has complete control.

Excited to say the least.

I would imagine in a multi billion pound company a lot of people have a say no?

I imagine his direct line manager has some influence over how things are dealt with.
Of course, but someone had to sell it to the Glazers, who had presumably been told by Woodward just over a year previously that Ronaldo was the GOAT and must be signed at all costs.

I doubt if Arnold would have left that to ETH.

Lots of people still manage to perform very well under management that isn't the best in all walks of life.

My post was a very simple one regarding my guessing that people working under less toxic management feel more happy.

If you are actually "not sure" what I am talking about then I have no way to simplify it further I am afraid. Apologies but I do not believe that is down to my ability to write things that are easily comprehendible and I feel it would be rude to try and find specific reasons why that is which I won't do.
Err, you do know LvG gave Rashford his debut and kept playing him afterwards?

Also, you know LvG sent Shaw to get back into shape and he proceeded to have an amazing season before that PoS broke his leg in the CL?

LvG had many faults (his boring football most of all) but what you wrote makes no sense. It sometimes feels like people are rewriting history in real time on here.

Was thinking the other day that if we get our shit together and can compete at the highest level every year, there’s no reason for him to leave and do all this again somewhere else.

Aye, it was clear none of our managers post-Fergie were building anything sustainable, and it was all fairly all over the place despite 3 cups and 2 second place finishes.

With ETH, it's clear that he knows his stuff and is building towards getting us back to the top. The others that came before him obviously tried too, but they made a fecking balls of it. This is a long-term project, and it's one that I'm fully on board with. I see no reason why he won't be here long-term, and hopefully it all pans out well.

Last edited:

Agreed. Unless they're young players on Garnacho's bracket or they're bought as squad player purpose, this would be my stance. We might lose some, but the upward more than makes up for it, imho.

Now it's a bit tricky when there's instability in managers. How much the player's poor season is down to manager, it's harder to evaluate.

That was always bs, as you could easily see it happen at loads of other clubs. Impossible to convince some of the people on here over the last 4-5 years though. It was always some excuse about needing a minimum of 3 seasons to even see any sort of progress

True. Just like on reverse, it only took Moyes a few months to make our players played like mid-table team. It doesn't take that long to see manager's "philosophy".

It isn’t really. We’re playing much better but we still aren’t playing like Ajax. Arteta took a good while to get Arsenal purring.

It isn’t really. We’re playing much better but we still aren’t playing like Ajax. Arteta took a good while to get Arsenal purring.
And Tuchel won the CL in 6 months. Your point being?

It's more about the available quality in the squad and Arsenal just didn't have it.

And Tuchel won the CL in 6 months. Your point being?

It's more about the available quality in the squad and Arsenal just didn't have it.
Yes, that it does fully depend on the tools a manager at his disposal. Tuchel had a fantastic defensive side that was being poorly utilised by Lampard. He made them defensively solid immediately, but again it wasn’t really a side in the mould of his PSG, Mainz or BVB sides.

Pep had a team of premier league winners and started off slowly, but they weren’t fully suited to his style / it took the few who were time to adjust.

Admittedly Rangnick was a complete failure, but when he was brought in you had managers such as Klopp and Tuchel saying that he would find it hard to instil his philosophy in the premier league as the games come thick and fast and there isn’t much time training on the grass. He so happened to just be shit, but that’s two elite managers saying it.

You even have Ten Hag coming out before the Arsenal game saying they are ahead in their process. If managers seem to say this, then maybe there’s some credence to the idea that it takes a while to get a team to play in your way. I might trust them over you.

Err, you do know LvG gave Rashford his debut and kept playing him afterwards?

Also, you know LvG sent Shaw to get back into shape and he proceeded to have an amazing season before that PoS broke his leg in the CL?

LvG had many faults (his boring football most of all) but what you wrote makes no sense. It sometimes feels like people are rewriting history in real time on here.

Yes I know Van Gaal gave Rashford his debut. He also signed Shaw which you forgot.

If you don't think that Van Gaal and Jose caused added stress to players that from all accounts Ten Hag doesn't then that is your opinion. You being intentionally obtuse is unnecessary though.

Sir Erik Ten Hag!

In future, if any fraud manager come into the club again asking for minimum 2 or 3 seasons to implement his philosophy, get him feck off out of the club immediately.

Only months as a manager and he finds 2 left footed CB's (Licha, Luke) with serious potential, just like that.

Seriously, just let one United fan criticise this man and I will hunt them down and rub their nose into my mangled underpant juices.

He's doing the best possible job that any United fan could ask for under such turbulent circumstances. Would Pep or Klopp be doing as good a job this quickly? Honestly not sure.

One of the silently great things he is doing right now is managing the squad perfectly. We are a bit short in attack specially with Sancho out but he is trying to keep everyone fresh. Just look at how Garnacho has started 2 games since the break & come on in the other 3 and now he will start Vs Charlton.

Barca fan at work said to me yesterday. “I’m surprised United aren’t doing better, I thought they would do really well with Ten Hag”.

Took every bit of restraint in my body not to clip him around the ear for being such a dumb cnut.

Barca fan at work said to me yesterday. “I’m surprised United aren’t doing better, I thought they would do really well with Ten Hag”.

Took every bit of restraint in my body not to clip him around the ear for being such a dumb cnut.

To be fair to him, when you're in a two team league, anything other than being first probably seems like you're a bit shit.

Doesn't matter how good he is, there are still obvious weaknesses in the squad; players who will never be good enough no matter what.

Status
Not open for further replies.