Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
He‘s the perfect manager and I‘m astonished that some still have doubts or are not sold yet.
We are doing much better than I think it would be possible. I thought the turnaround takes a full season, hence my expectations were low. He outperformed on all levels, no doubt

I'll take a win and a draw, but I'll go full muppet if we manage to win both, if any of this happens we stand a go chance to clinch the league.

I would bathe in the tears of rival fans all summer if it happened. Would be crazy!

With Ole we started very well but gradually it became worse, much worse.

With ETH actually we did not start well, we were all worried after the first two games, and gradually we are getting better and better. We don't know if this improvement will last, it is still early, but all the signs point out to a serious manager with high standards.

I agree, everything he has shown has just felt so sensible and sustainable. Even when he speaks he is just utterly drama free and you could just as easily be listening to a top level manager or director in a giant company. He is not a cult of personality, he is sensible, classy and extremely intelligent.

He just feels so stable and reliable also being very talented.

For players like Shaw or Rashford who played under Jose's mood swings or Van Gaal's absolute insanity it must feel so nice to work with someone that sets a tone of stability throughout the entire club.

I just keep thinking how much drama would we have had to sit through if Ronaldo did what he did under Van Gaal. Some idiotic protracted power struggle with endless soundbites whilst opposition fans all looked at us for amusement.

Once Ronaldo decided to go full homelander it was quick, swift and clean with nothing but classy comments and then we move one.

No it was not. I and others kept telling others that the football did not resemble modern sides like Klopp or Pep, or even Ten Hag's Ajax sides. The only reason why many have this belief is because Ole kept talking about it initially and fans kept repeating it. In other words, you were gaslit. If Ole brought back United's attacking football because it was our tradition and he kept saying he wanted to do that, then it must be true right?

This does not mean that there weren't good performances. Any performance where United score a few goals is good and Ole definitely had those. I would definitely credit Ole for bringing back those entertaining wins, of which I did not think United had with Moyes, LVG, or Mourinho. However, I would not say the football was amazing. United largely relied on counter attacking, which isn't even bad on its own and can be entertaining. The problem is that it mostly just relied on our superior individual talent to make something from nothing, and of course when those players have lots of space on the counter, can score goals. But when out of possession, or with possession United under Ole wasn't all that good.

This is where Ten Hag has United playing better. I see the side playing better in possession, I see more verticality in our passing, and the quickness in how we progress the ball and win the ball back is much better.

And I'm not one to blindly defend Ten Hag. Earlier this season I was defending him because I felt that he should be given more time to prove his ability to get United playing modern football. I was defending him, but at the same time I also noted that United reverted back to a more boring side. I call it as I see it. It's now clear that Ten Hag purposely had United revert to a more pragmatic side to instill confidence because slowly but surely we can see this United side start to display what we saw in preseason but against better sides.
The superior individual qualities stuff is a bit of nonsense for me. It’s part of football. When Rashford passes to Bruno then receives it and manages to handle the defender before scoring, it’s his qualities that allows him to do it and not all players could score. Almiron scored a similar goal but in the Rashford situation against Wolves may not be able to handle the defender. So that use of the player is a full credit to Ole for me.

And as I said, our positioning was fantastic in some games to get out of pressure and bring the ball, that was fast transition and amazing ball control. Look up the games against City or those goals under Ole that had 20+ passes from back to front and left to right before scoring. That’s structure.

Modern football or not, knowing where to pass and how to confuse opposition defense is just what’s needed and under Ole we were able to do it because we did score great goals altogether.

Ole didn't let his standard drop, he's clueless as to why his first 15 works so well.

He spend close to another 500m and still can't replicate his first 15 games
What does that mean even? How could he be second if he couldn’t replicate anything?

Can tell the players love him already and enjoy his methods as we’re seeing everyone pull together and we all know when they don’t like managers as they drop their performance levels. Things are going smoothly so far. ETH is such a calm and classy person too, doesn’t cause any trouble with other managers in press conferences. Making us a lot more enjoyable to watch and likeable.

We won 3-0 and ETH was talking about about how lucky we were and how we need to improve. Ole would have been too busy creaming Shaw and Casemiro to see any fault.
Mourinho would have shut up shop at 1-0 and we'll have been under immense pressure the final minutes.
No way goal number two happens under Van gaal, that kind of fast play is prohibited.

Yes but Ole let standards drop, he isn’t strict. He’s mr nice guy. Ten Hag won’t accept anything less than perfect every game and whoever doesn’t do as he’s told will be dropped.
Nah, Ole wont be able to keep that flying start. Tactics wise he is far inferior compared to ETH which makes even comparing them tactically is an insult to ETH. Personally I have seen far more cohesion in our play (including the often memed pattern of play) during ETH few months in charge compared to Ole's whole reign. Under Ole we always looked like a clueless team who never played together. It's so rare for me to say "what a well crafted team goal/move". The goals mostly came from individual brilliance or counter attack. I dont think there is a move/goal like the one Shaw scored last match under Ole tenure

We won 3-0 and ETH was talking about about how lucky we were and how we need to improve. Ole would have been too busy creaming Shaw and Casemiro to see any fault.
Mourinho would have shut up shop at 1-0 and we'll have been under immense pressure the final minutes.
No way goal number two happens under Van gaal, that kind of fast play is prohibited.

I think ETH was objective and the team losing concentration in vital periods presented the opportunity for Bournemouth to score on more than one occasion. It's good, can't fault anything the manager has said concerning his analysis of the team and individual performances.

He just feels so stable and reliable also being very talented.

For players like Shaw or Rashford who played under Jose's mood swings or Van Gaal's absolute insanity it must feel so nice to work with someone that sets a tone of stability throughout the entire club.

These two were very good under LVG especially Rashford, so I’m not sure what you’re talking about.

No point slagging off past managers. The club hierarchy was at fault too firstly for appointing the wrong profile of managers secondly for sanctioning obvious doomed to fail transfers. Lets enjoy Ten Haag he’s a different breed and very few of his elk are left in the modern game. Strict disciplinarian with modern tactics. So happy we have him at the helm.

No point slagging off past managers. The club hierarchy was at fault too firstly for appointing the wrong profile of managers secondly for sanctioning obvious doomed to fail transfers. Lets enjoy Ten Haag he’s a different breed and very few of his elk are left in the modern game. Strict disciplinarian with modern tactics. So happy we have him at the helm.

Yeah our best appointment in years

Two draws wouldn't be enough
2 draws would be a very good outcome from the next game. Realistically, we aren't title challengers. We need a ridiculous run including 6 points from the next 2 to stand a chance. It's ok that we aren't there yet. Looking at our progress, 2 draws would be excellent. Even if we lose both it's not exactly that big of a deal, but it just says we aren't there yet.

2 draws would be a very good outcome from the next game. Realistically, we aren't title challengers. We need a ridiculous run including 6 points from the next 2 to stand a chance. It's ok that we aren't there yet. Looking at our progress, 2 draws would be excellent. Even if we lose both it's not exactly that big of a deal, but it just says we aren't there yet.

3/4 would give us a tiny chance but only if Spurs take something from Arsenal

Just had a look at the Jim Moxon thing. Apparently he left Liverpool in the Summer - since that time theyve looked leggy and not at the races. Could be a good hire.

Actually we are making a lot of these good moves I mean we are even starting to score from set pieces!

I reckon we get a couple of moose in and ship DDG off. Would save on wages and the manure would do wonders for the pitch.

Yep, you are correct. Look at AWB for example, not a great player but how many times under Ole or any other manager have we seen when we make a change like that, they look undercooked.

I'll give you a few examples, FA cup games V Norwich when Ole made wholesale changes, or even Villareal when Dalot played and got rinsed. AWB has played and we still play the same style.

I agree with the post match bit, he said we were lucky against Bournemouth, which we were, they had chances to score goals and we all know when its 2-1, its nervy, it gives opposition motivation, courage.

He knows there is alot to improve, I still think we are a bit too easy to play against, yes I know our record defensively but the eye test.

I still dont think we are that compact, Wolves had many many pre opportunities, their LWB was in acres of space all game. Against City and Arsenal, we need to be more compact.

I think it's difficult to be compact while also pressing and looking to dominate possession, but it's similar to City or any top side that it's better to snuff out every opportunity early and really only have to defend 3-4 dangerous moments in a game than sitting in a compact shape and allowing more chances for the opposition to put balls in the box or potentially create danger.

I think it's difficult to be compact while also pressing and looking to dominate possession, but it's similar to City or any top side that it's better to snuff out every opportunity early and really only have to defend 3-4 dangerous moments in a game than sitting in a compact shape and allowing more chances for the opposition to put balls in the box or potentially create danger.

Agreed, the thing is I dont think the team is there yet to limit the dangerous attacks to 3-4 at the moment, we are still giving out 8/9 of those opportunities.

Obviously, I have faith that under Ten Hag we will get there, a few more signings and work on training ground is still required.

Ronaldo actually did us a massive favour by dragging the team down last year otherwise we may have got a top 4 spot with ole again and still be stuck with him for another season going nowhere instead of having ten hag clearly moving us in the right direction

I think one of the more significant changes ETH has implemented is how there seems to be accountability and meritocracy in the team selections. We are no longer seeing underperforming players continually getting games. I suppose it's easier to change players around when you actually have know what kind of system you want to play as a coach.

It's amazing to see literally every player giving it their all on the pitch and fighting for the badge, especially when out of possession

I think one of the more significant changes ETH has implemented is how there seems to be accountability and meritocracy in the team selections. We are no longer seeing underperforming players continually getting games. I suppose it's easier to change players around when you actually have know what kind of system you want to play as a coach.
Agree. And furter more he does this with a weak squad. Ole didn’t trust his squad.
Hope people remember this when we hit a bump, because we will.

We still have a lot of players in our squad capable of downing their tools and drop form rapidly, and few to replace them. No need to get to exited just yet, albeit he’s doing a good job.

A bit of luck this year too, with Tottenham, Liverpool and Chelsea not being consistent. Guess it all comes down to how the club will manage backing him.

I just keep thinking how much drama would we have had to sit through if Ronaldo did what he did under Van Gaal. Some idiotic protracted power struggle with endless soundbites whilst opposition fans all looked at us for amusement.

Once Ronaldo decided to go full homelander it was quick, swift and clean with nothing but classy comments and then we move one.
I think the elegant way Ronaldo was ousted was as much (if not more) down to Arnold being unafraid to take an axe to Woodward’s blunders.

Agreed, the thing is I dont think the team is there yet to limit the dangerous attacks to 3-4 at the moment, we are still giving out 8/9 of those opportunities.

Obviously, I have faith that under Ten Hag we will get there, a few more signings and work on training ground is still required.

Yeah won't see that until first XI is sorted then can focus on squad depth to provide required cover for CB, Casemiro and Bruno

I was very much concerned with his obsession of wanting players he worked with before. But I think he would have learnt his lesson as well with the success of Casemiro signing.

So happy he's our manager.
Me too. Saw his press conference today and he was totally cool.

He has that thing where he knows how to show compassion to his players and give them the love and, at the same time, be full-on Godfather ruthless, at will.

Knows how to fookn good play football, too, which is a bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.