Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the end of the day he made mistakes, he will make more mistakes in the future, and he will learn from them. This is his first big club job, it was expected. He will learn and improve on it. Be patient. Or don't be patient and go watch another club.

At the end of the day he made mistakes, he will make more mistakes in the future, and he will learn from them. This is his first big club job, it was expected. He will learn and improve on it. Be patient. Or don't be patient and go watch another club.
Spot on with your assessment, and I think the same. There will be ups and downs as the season goes on and as you said he will learn as he goes along. Patience is the key but I am convinced he is the right man for the job.

I hope no Ajax fan reads this, they would go crazy :lol:

I hope no Ajax fan reads this, they would go crazy :lol:

Why? Do they not live in reality? :wenger:

That was no disrespect, you cant compare two jobs, pressure here is on a whole other level. Saying one club is bigger than the other, doesn't automatically mean former club is "small" per se.

Yeah, I agree. He’s struggled to come up with sensible ways to cover the injuries/absences we’ve had this week. Trying DVB once seemed sensible but trying him again after the awful display on Thursday made no sense.

I didn't get a chance to watch either game, but why would trying DVB twice be bad? The first could have been a 1 off. The 2nd can confirm it, or show he can play.
It was his first time in the starting lineup for sometime now, so giving him a chance or 2 doesn't seem terribly odd?

Why? Do they not live in reality? :wenger:

That was no disrespect, you cant compare two jobs, pressure here is on a whole other level. Saying one club is bigger than the other, doesn't automatically mean former club is "small" per se.
No they don't :lol:

Interesting that he noted that we were forcing "stupid crosses" towards Ronaldo from hopeless angles. Hope he sorts that - first step would be to remove Ronaldo from the starting 11

if he's in there making runs behidn and screaming for the ball, they are damn sure going to look and probably play it. Human nature a bit to try and feed him the ball given his status in football.

We've all seen it this year, they are constantly looking to play him as the first option. The team is just better without him simply b/c the focus isn't on one person and it's a group attacking in the final third.

Richarlison is preferred for Brazil from what I've seen. In fact Jesus won't have started a match for Brazil in over a year once the world cup arrives.

Compared to united, our whole starting XI bar De Gea, Rashford, Antony will be starting for their countries at the WC.
given his form....can't see them leaving Jesus out over Richarlison

Bs about Eriksen, he's still a world class player - he just sits deeper now. Were he to play higher you'd see more assists than now.

Eriksen is still a really good football player. But Eriksen was a lot quicker and better before. Just like Modric now and before. Just like Messi now before. Messi is still a really good football now. But Messi has peaked and has reached the top level.

To be really honest. Eriksen right now is on a really good football level. The world class level of a cm player right now Kevin De Bruyne. Kevin De Bruyne can sit deep and spread the ball too. But with Kevin De Bruyne offensive qualities and abilities on the ball. City and Pep need De Bruyne the way he is playing now. A more offensive and attacking role. Starting from a RCM role. Than only sit deep most of the time to spread the ball. Pep City need De Bruyne in the final third of the pitch more than in the central of the pitch.

But playing as nr.8 in a CM duo beside a nr.6. How can you pick Eriksen over De Bruyne?With De Bruyne biggest reasony why City has dominate and win so much in the last 5 years. It might go 10 -15 years each time you will find a player like De Bruyne. Same as Maradonna and Messi. It was few decade between those two. We could take similar to Scholes and De Bruyne.

But again. If you have watched Eriksen. The speed in him and turn around and long shoot. I was clearly a lot better on this top of his career. But in the end. I think this United with Ten hasn't settled yet. Example Eriksen playing for City would lift his own performance up a bit.

I didn't get a chance to watch either game, but why would trying DVB twice be bad? The first could have been a 1 off. The 2nd can confirm it, or show he can play.
It was his first time in the starting lineup for sometime now, so giving him a chance or 2 doesn't seem terribly odd?

If he was a completely new player I’d obviously agree with you. However, Donny has a history of being invisible in matches for us, particularly playing as a 10. Happy to try him as a one-off and see if he’d changed but when he then produced absolutely nothing on Thursday I don’t think you could expect anything different 3 days later and he should have been back on the bench, despite Bruno being out.

Football is squad game. Its about players fitting into an effective system which in turn end up winning trophies. The original Galacticos had some of the finest players in the world. The 2003-2004 squad had Beckham, Figo, fat Ronaldo, Zidane, Raul, Cambiasso, Casillas and Roberto Carlos. Yet Beckham ended his experience at Real winning as many league titles as Ranieri's Leicester did.

United is a mess. We have a manager who play a high line defence yet most of the defence (DDG, Maguire and AWB) are unsuited for it. We only have 1 deep lying playmaker ie a 30 year old midfielder with a pacemaker, Sancho had been horrible and we have no forward line. These gaping holes are difficult to ignore.
AWB hasn't played and Maguire has barely played.

None of this really explains why the likes of Brighton, West Ham and Newcastle have better performance metrics than us and we're sat basically level with Brentford. If we swapped our squad with these teams, we'd be moaning even more about the gaping holes in the squad.

None of this really explains why the likes of Brighton, West Ham and Newcastle have better performance metrics than us and we're sat basically level with Brentford. If we swapped our squad with these teams, we'd be moaning even more about the gaping holes in the squad.
It's starting to become a tired old trope repeated by people who observed a few ETH games, listened to his interviews, and then decided they know how to implement and troubleshoot his own style better than him.

Those teams have a thing called consistency. Brighton had been playing potter ball for a while, West ham same with Moyes. Howe has done an amazing job and Newcastle are over performing but I think people forget how awful we were last year and how much of an improvement he is making. He's already replaced 3/4 out of the starting 11. Nothing incredible but a solid B or B minus so far.

It's either we believe that Ten Hag is such a dumb manager that he couldn't foresee that ridding himself of midfielders and only throw attackers would lead to us losing any control resulting in us being even more toothless or he's trying not to upset a certain diva, so resorts to doing needless shuffling which ultimately results in us playing worse than before the subs were made. That's 2 games in a row now his subs have made us worse instead of better and I for one rate Ten Hag and believe he wouldn't have made such stupid subs and shuffling if he weren't trying to compensate for something.

Prior to the incident, Ten Hag subs were helpful and impactful but ever since Ronaldo's reintegration his subs have made us worse. The difference is that before he could take Ronaldo off, getting rid of the problem or in case Ronaldo wasn't playing from the start he'd sub people in positions they are comfortable and natural to them, ultimately helping the team because no one would be shuffled out of position to accommodate an ineffective player. However, now it's all about indulging Ronaldo, so here we find ourselves 4 games since his return playing terrible football despite just 2 weeks ago, we were looking like we were about to take a leap.

If we can see it, obviously ETH knows better than us. It's got to be ETH giving him enough rope to hang. And show the board we need to get rid of him and get a new body in

I rate ETH and think he's doing a good job........ I do think he got it badly wrong at the weekend though.

If Fernandes couldn't play, Eriksen should have played at a No10 with Fred or Mctom along side Casemiro. Also we know Rashford simply can't function from the Right. I'd rather we played Ronaldo on the left and tried Garnacho on the right.

Two really poor choices from the manger IMO.
This, it looked wrong from the moment starting lineups were revealed. Also Ronaldo starting looked wrong.

We've been missing Antony these couple of games.

Early signs he's just not good enough as other managers before him. Shambolic selection and absolutely no pattern of play after more than 20 games and full preseason. Ronaldo as a captain finishing the game. Absolutely not good enough and match fit VDB starting instead of Fred. The msot error prone and passive CB we had in our history Lindelof starting ahead of Maguire etc.

He's just pathetic,it's another game to the long list of the ones we fluked a goal out of nothing after not being able to create a single big chance.

Yep he will get a chance beyond this season but so far he just seems like an okay manager who dominated his One-team league because of the players founds and club structure at his disposal, rather then another big thing and talented manager who could finally implement his style for a former top club like ours. We are becoming mediocre and it's only down to managers decisions now.
People like you don't deserve to support this club, seriously. You must have a miserable take on life, I feel sorry for the people close to you.

Were currently looking like this for the mini season prior to the World Cup starting in the

PL:

LLWWWWLWDWDWL (23 from 39 which is tracking for just under 70 points)

EL:

LWWWWW (That L was due to farcical peno)

That’s really without a top level striker. Scoring is our issue, the platform is slowly being built but we have to sign a striker.

People like you don't deserve to support this club, seriously. You must have a miserable take on life, I feel sorry for the people close to you.

No surprise I had to click “show ignored content” to view his post. Absolute waffle.

It must be so annoying as a manager to have a plan and see it undone by your defenders. Villa had 4 shots on target yesterday and scored 3. The first and third goal should simply not happen if Lindeloff defends them properly. Take those 2 away you are left with 2 shots on target with one being a free kick.

Martial, Antony, Bruno, Casemiro, Martinez, Varane are essential for us to play well. If two of them are missing, it basically breaks down.

Part of me commends ETH for trying VdB again as you want to give a player more than one chance to impress, but I think it was unwise to do so with Eriksen in the same midfield. Both looked way off the pace yesterday and basically left Casemiro on an island to shield the defense. Only one of the two should have started and then Fred should have taken the place of the other to provide the necessary energy. Couple that with Ronaldo offering nothing and playing Rashford off the right (where he's about as useless as one can be) and it's clear ETH got it wrong yesterday.

I stayed off the cafe post-match because I knew there would be some disgusting overreactions, but it's quite clear how vital it is to have at least two of Martial, Sancho, or Antony fit to add that technical quality into our attack. Without any of them able to start, we didn't really have a player to relieve the pressure, and added to the lack of legs in midfield we basically were overrun by Villa on the break.

All in all, we need to get fit in attack and figure out an ideal secondary midfield when the first choice isn't available. It's also quite clear how finished Ronaldo is (but that's already been mentioned), and it's also clear that we need to bring in another CB (please Ndicka). Neither Maguire nor Lindelof are good enough to step up in the absence of our top 2, and it would be smarter to have a third rotational CB that's young/athletic that can use those minutes to develop.

I rate ETH and think he's doing a good job........ I do think he got it badly wrong at the weekend though.

If Fernandes couldn't play, Eriksen should have played at a No10 with Fred or Mctom along side Casemiro. Also we know Rashford simply can't function from the Right. I'd rather we played Ronaldo on the left and tried Garnacho on the right.

Two really poor choices from the manger IMO.

Erik ten Hag plays Eriksen next to Casemiro to start the attacks. Eriksen is the player who has the responsibility to bring the ball from a defensive situation to the attacking players. There is no replacement for Eriksen for that role. McT prefers to not receive the ball and passing really isnt his thing either. Fred cant receive the ball close to goal because he has a bad touch/not the most reliable touch (i think Troy Deeney once said that Watford had Fred receiving the ball as a pressing trigger for them) and also isnt great at passing. ETH needs Eriksen as a central midfielder, its not a mistake but part of the way how he wants to play. The problem is that Eriksen has no proper replacement who can play his role as centre mid and another problem is that Donny, during his Manchester United period, hasnt shown anything that suggests he can play for Manchester United.

I still believe that Eriksen was supposed to be more of a rotation option. An option to play CM instead of Frenkie or to play AM instead of Bruno. Frenkie didnt join and now Eriksen always has to play as CM and the cover for Bruno is the not very good playing Donny van de Beek.

I dont think Ronaldo is a serious option for the left wing. He doesnt run enough for that. No way he is going track back. He has never done that. There is a reason Ronaldo basically became a striker instead of the inside forward which he was during the prime of his career. Rashford has been on the right wing before, he runs to the right wing when he plays as centre forward. He swaps places with the right winger during matches when he plays as a striker or left winger. Rashford just didnt have a good game.... Rashford isnt a world class player, Rashford will have bad games. You dont know what you get from him.

I would expect more from Rashford on the right wing than from a youth player or from Elanga who just isnt good. Its just unfortunate the two better options for the right wing were both out at the same time.

I dont think ten Hag made any mistakes, i dont see it as strange decisions but because the score people will call it poor choices. Playing Eriksen in midfield or Rashford on the right doesnt change Lindelof storming out of the defense, not making a tackle or anything and just leaving a huge hole for an extremely quick player to run into or Shaw causing a free kick that goes in. After getting behind 2-0 that quickly it was never going to be turned around with this current team against a defensive Aston Villa.

Both players are leaching on our payroll and are useless to the present system. Let's have a look at what ETH has in disposal

GK: DDG is half decent but he's not the GK ETH needs
RB: Dalot is squad player level at best
CB: Martinez and Varane are good but they are being run to the ground. The rest are useless
LB: we're sort of ok

DM: we're ok
DLP: We only have 1 player who can play that role ie a 30 year old with a pacemaker

RW: We only have 1 decent RW. Sancho is shit
AMC: Bruno is good, the rest are useless
LW: Rashy is decent

STK: We have no strikers

As much as we need signings, he also needs to be allowed to clear a couple of big names that aren’t performing. These jokers don’t like being dropped but they know at some point he’ll get sacked and they’ll still be here. Shifting Ronaldo, De Gea and Maguire would panic the lot of them into performing.

Shifting DDG for what reason? He’s improved with the ball at his feet and was hardly at fault for Villa’s goals.

It must be so annoying as a manager to have a plan and see it undone by your defenders. Villa had 4 shots on target yesterday and scored 3. The first and third goal should simply not happen if Lindeloff defends them properly. Take those 2 away you are left with 2 shots on target with one being a free kick.

Martinez doesn't have a poor 1st touch or whatever it was he was doing the 2nd goal doesn't happen too

Erik ten Hag plays Eriksen next to Casemiro to start the attacks. Eriksen is the player who has the responsibility to bring the ball from a defensive situation to the attacking players. There is no replacement for Eriksen for that role. McT prefers to not receive the ball and passing really isnt his thing either. Fred cant receive the ball close to goal because he has a bad touch/not the most reliable touch (i think Troy Deeney once said that Watford had Fred receiving the ball as a pressing trigger for them) and also isnt great at passing. ETH needs Eriksen as a central midfielder, its not a mistake but part of the way how he wants to play. The problem is that Eriksen has no proper replacement who can play his role as centre mid and another problem is that Donny, during his Manchester United period, hasnt shown anything that suggests he can play for Manchester United.

I still believe that Eriksen was supposed to be more of a rotation option. An option to play CM instead of Frenkie or to play AM instead of Bruno. Frenkie didnt join and now Eriksen always has to play as CM and the cover for Bruno is the not very good playing Donny van de Beek.

I dont think Ronaldo is a serious option for the left wing. He doesnt run enough for that. No way he is going track back. He has never done that. There is a reason Ronaldo basically became a striker instead of the inside forward which he was during the prime of his career. Rashford has been on the right wing before, he runs to the right wing when he plays as centre forward. He swaps places with the right winger during matches when he plays as a striker or left winger. Rashford just didnt have a good game.... Rashford isnt a world class player, Rashford will have bad games. You dont know what you get from him.

I would expect more from Rashford on the right wing than from a youth player or from Elanga who just isnt good. Its just unfortunate the two better options for the right wing were both out at the same time.

I dont think ten Hag made any mistakes, i dont see it as strange decisions but because the score people will call it poor choices. Playing Eriksen in midfield or Rashford on the right doesnt change Lindelof storming out of the defense, not making a tackle or anything and just leaving a huge hole for an extremely quick player to run into or Shaw causing a free kick that goes in. After getting behind 2-0 that quickly it was never going to be turned around with this current team against a defensive Aston Villa.

This bit would make sense if this was Rashfords 1st game at right wing. I think I have ever only seen him play well from there once and he has had his fair share of games from the right . There's a difference between drifting to a position during matches and starting from the position.

Martial, Antony, Bruno, Casemiro, Martinez, Varane are essential for us to play well. If two of them are missing, it basically breaks down.

They have had literally a handful of games together which is the most frustrating thing

Part of me commends ETH for trying VdB again as you want to give a player more than one chance to impress, but I think it was unwise to do so with Eriksen in the same midfield. Both looked way off the pace yesterday and basically left Casemiro on an island to shield the defense. Only one of the two should have started and then Fred should have taken the place of the other to provide the necessary energy. Couple that with Ronaldo offering nothing and playing Rashford off the right (where he's about as useless as one can be) and it's clear ETH got it wrong yesterday.

I stayed off the cafe post-match because I knew there would be some disgusting overreactions, but it's quite clear how vital it is to have at least two of Martial, Sancho, or Antony fit to add that technical quality into our attack. Without any of them able to start, we didn't really have a player to relieve the pressure, and added to the lack of legs in midfield we basically were overrun by Villa on the break.

All in all, we need to get fit in attack and figure out an ideal secondary midfield when the first choice isn't available. It's also quite clear how finished Ronaldo is (but that's already been mentioned), and it's also clear that we need to bring in another CB (please Ndicka). Neither Maguire nor Lindelof are good enough to step up in the absence of our top 2, and it would be smarter to have a third rotational CB that's young/athletic that can use those minutes to develop.

Yeah rotational athletic CB is absolutely essential to cope when Varane is injured again or Martinez suspended like Barca

Okay well why are we getting injuries whilst they aren’t?

They hardly have a bigger or imo a much better squad and have had the same fixture contestion. I personally think ETH can be criticised for not rotating enough against omonia and sheriff.
Because Arsenal players have adapted to Arteta's training after being coached and managed for years. In contrast to ETH, players might not get used to ETH's intense training. Arteta used to have lot of injuries as well back then, the same I remember with Klopp during his early years.

Although, it seems the ones who are heavily affected with injuries are only Martial and Varane. While Sancho for some reason got ill not injured. Bruno got suspended. I'm not too sure what is Antony's injury though, it seems we haven't hear any news of the injury he suffered. Overall, looks like it is more the fact the luck wasn't on our side vs Aston Villa that when we had injuries is when Sancho and Bruno also not available due to illness and suspension.

Because Arsenal players have adapted to Arteta's training after being coached and managed for years. In contrast to ETH, players might not get used to ETH's intense training. Arteta used to have lot of injuries as well back then, the same I remember with Klopp during his early years.

Although, it seems the ones who are heavily affected with injuries are only Martial and Varane. While Sancho for some reason got ill not injured. Bruno got suspended. I'm not too sure what is Antony's injury though, it seems we haven't hear any news of the injury he suffered. Overall, looks like it is more the fact the luck wasn't on our side vs Aston Villa that when we had injuries is when Sancho and Bruno also not available due to illness and suspension.

What does this say about the training standards at United in the last few years with Ole if the players are now unable to cope?

Just on Arsenal though - the players we've had injured this season at one time or another include Partey, Zinchenko, Elneny, Odegaard, Smith-Rowe, Tomiyasu, Tierney (coming back from injury at end of last season) and Saka (briefly). Though, we haven't had too many significant injuries all at the same time. Still, our squad is thinner than yours IMO, at least on paper.

What does this say about the training standards at United in the last few years with Ole if the players are now unable to cope?

Bad and that's why we don't make progress under previous managers and hence why they are all fired.

Just on Arsenal though - the players we've had injured this season at one time or another include Partey, Zinchenko, Elneny, Odegaard, Smith-Rowe, Tomiyasu, Tierney (coming back from injury at end of last season) and Saka (briefly). Though, we haven't had too many significant injuries all at the same time. Still, our squad is thinner than yours IMO, at least on paper.

That's why in my post, I mentioned the luck plays part of it. The time when we had injuries was also the time when our players got illness and suspended. Thus, the Aston Villa game, we missed too many key players.

The main key position is Jesus, he is still no injury who is the main part to transform Arsenal attacking side this season. He has a decent ability to hold up the ball and dribble past the opposite in small area which is help Arsenal playing Arteta tactic. And we have one suit with ETH but he is injury prone.....

The main key position is Jesus, he is still no injury who is the main part to transform Arsenal attacking side this season. He has a decent ability to hold up the ball and dribble past the opposite in small area which is help Arsenal playing Arteta tactic. And we have one suit with ETH but he is injury prone.....

Yeah Jesus misses very few games

Rio again defending Ronaldo and sending a message to ETH that it will be "huge call to drop Ronaldo for game vs Fulham".
Pressure by media and FC Mates on ETH because of Diva no7 is insane. Board (Murtough) must sell Ronaldo in january to give Erik chance to do what is the best for team.

And yeah, FC Mates (not Gary) can feck off already. They are embarrassing. Instead trying to be positive regarding team and Erik they chose to defend their pal Ronaldo. Pathetic stuff.

Last edited:

Obviously that it wasn't up to scratch, which is why he's not manager anymore? You're not saying or revealing anything that United fans themselves haven't criticised and discussed ad nauseam on this very forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.