Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
This selection of Ronaldo baffles me. Fair enough if he was getting himself in positions for clear chances, but he isn't even doing that.

The selection of VDB baffles me, because he's shit.

Starting to wonder about him after the shit show second half midweek and today's poor selections and badly timed subs!

It's because of injuries and suspensions though. It isn't that baffling really.

Okay well why are we getting injuries whilst they aren’t?

They hardly have a bigger or imo a much better squad and have had the same fixture contestion. I personally think ETH can be criticised for not rotating enough against omonia and sheriff.

Because Arteta managed that Arsenal 3.5 years which is enough to replace all players he want. How can you compare with ETH is just arrived less than half year. You should compare their 1st year result which Arsenal positioned at 8 in Arteta first year.....

I'm just not buying that we can't be better than the 9th best team in terms of performance metrics. The team can't be that bad.

Football is squad game. Its about players fitting into an effective system which in turn end up winning trophies. The original Galacticos had some of the finest players in the world. The 2003-2004 squad had Beckham, Figo, fat Ronaldo, Zidane, Raul, Cambiasso, Casillas and Roberto Carlos. Yet Beckham ended his experience at Real winning as many league titles as Ranieri's Leicester did.

United is a mess. We have a manager who play a high line defence yet most of the defence (DDG, Maguire and AWB) are unsuited for it. We only have 1 deep lying playmaker ie a 30 year old midfielder with a pacemaker, Sancho had been horrible and we have no forward line. These gaping holes are difficult to ignore.

From the Subs in the game against Sociedad to the starting line-up against Villa, not liked how EtH has done in terms of squad selection. Yes, injuries are an issue, but selecting vdB and Ronaldo together was a recipe for disaster. Fred could have easily started and you could have had a front three of Rashford, Garnacho, Elanga if needed as well.

It's because of injuries and suspensions though. It isn't that baffling really.
Fred alone would've made the midfield more functional than Van de Beek. Not to say he makes us win, but at least there's someone willing to press the opposition.

We've also been happy to drop Ronaldo for more dynamic players in bigger games. We're not talking about a Ronaldo who has shown any sign of scoring the odd goal here or there either, we're talking about the absolute worst version of Ronaldo anyone has ever seen.

From the Subs in the game against Sociedad to the starting line-up against Villa, not liked how EtH has done in terms of squad selection. Yes, injuries are an issue, but selecting vdB and Ronaldo together was a recipe for disaster. Fred could have easily started and you could have had a front three of Rashford, Garnacho, Elanga if needed as well.

Yup he's made a few mistakes in the past couple games. No problem if he learns and adjusts.

At least now he may finally realise (if he hasn’t already) that Donny has no future at this club. We desperately need depth in midfield and I don’t blame EtH for it not being there yet, man’s barely been in charge six months.

Lost his way a bit since Chelsea 2nd half, has to be demanding a first XI AND midfield depth signing in January,don't take no for an answer

I respect Ten Hag's decision to start with Ronaldo & DvB together and only have 2 midfielders against Villa's 4 midfielders, he took a risk and it backfired very quickly within 10 mins, my grieve is he didn't readjust in 2nd half when it was 2-1 and hopefully he is more decisive in the future.

Lost his way a bit since Chelsea 2nd half, has to be demanding a first XI AND midfield depth signing in January,don't take no for an answer
As much as we need signings, he also needs to be allowed to clear a couple of big names that aren’t performing. These jokers don’t like being dropped but they know at some point he’ll get sacked and they’ll still be here. Shifting Ronaldo, De Gea and Maguire would panic the lot of them into performing.

As much as we need signings, he also needs to be allowed to clear a couple of big names that aren’t performing. These jokers don’t like being dropped but they know at some point he’ll get sacked and they’ll still be here. Shifting Ronaldo, De Gea and Maguire would panic the lot of them into performing.

Yeah any of them can leave for me

It's either we believe that Ten Hag is such a dumb manager that he couldn't foresee that ridding himself of midfielders and only throw attackers would lead to us losing any control resulting in us being even more toothless or he's trying not to upset a certain diva, so resorts to doing needless shuffling which ultimately results in us playing worse than before the subs were made. That's 2 games in a row now his subs have made us worse instead of better and I for one rate Ten Hag and believe he wouldn't have made such stupid subs and shuffling if he weren't trying to compensate for something.

Prior to the incident, Ten Hag subs were helpful and impactful but ever since Ronaldo's reintegration his subs have made us worse. The difference is that before he could take Ronaldo off, getting rid of the problem or in case Ronaldo wasn't playing from the start he'd sub people in positions they are comfortable and natural to them, ultimately helping the team because no one would be shuffled out of position to accommodate an ineffective player. However, now it's all about indulging Ronaldo, so here we find ourselves 4 games since his return playing terrible football despite just 2 weeks ago, we were looking like we were about to take a leap.

Don't know what the heck he's playing at with making CR Captain.

He's not been decisive enough on him. Wouldn't have been impossible to shift him somehow during summer and get a stopgap 9 in.

It's either we believe that Ten Hag is such a dumb manager that he couldn't foresee that ridding himself of midfielders and only throw attackers would lead to us losing any control resulting in us being even more toothless or he's trying not to upset a certain diva, so resorts to doing needless shuffling which ultimately results in us playing worse than before the subs were made. That's 2 games in a row now his subs have made us worse instead of better and I for one rate Ten Hag and believe he wouldn't have made such stupid subs and shuffling if he weren't trying to compensate for something.

Prior to the incident, Ten Hag subs were helpful and impactful but ever since Ronaldo's reintegration his subs have made us worse. The difference is that before he could take Ronaldo off, getting rid of the problem or in case Ronaldo wasn't playing from the start he'd sub people in positions they are comfortable and natural to them, ultimately helping the team because no one would be shuffled out of position to accommodate an ineffective player. However, now it's all about indulging Ronaldo, so here we find ourselves 4 games since his return playing terrible football despite just 2 weeks ago, we were looking like we were about to take a leap.
It still comes down to the fact that we are missing 3 senior attackers, all of whom would be preferred to Ronaldo. There is now bowing down to him, simply bad timing and necessity.

It is frustrating as hell, but there is no conspiracy to be found.

Because Arteta managed that Arsenal 3.5 years which is enough to replace all players he want. How can you compare with ETH is just arrived less than half year. You should compare their 1st year result which Arsenal positioned at 8 in Arteta first year.....
Arteta was appointed in Dec 2019, so coming up onto 3 years (not 3.5). And he came midway in the 19/20 season. We were 11th when he arrived and we finished 8th. He definitely came into a chaotic mess but somehow managed to win the FA Cup.

I didn't like to see Ronaldo as captain, but I have to ask: Do we have a pecking order at captain? Like Maguire first, then Bruno and then Ronaldo?
Possibly. But that prick shouldn't be on the list at all.

Seeing Ronaldo as a captain made me realize he probably messed up not taking a decision on captaincy since coming on.

Some changes are needed to be made or the dressing room will walk over him again like the previous two managers.

You are probably right

Hopefully it's just my frustration talking and ETH will prove me wrong. Can understand playing Cristiano since we have too many injuries atm, but giving him captains armband for whatever reason is just plain wrong.

I am not even surprised he is giving in to the pressure as it is coming from all sides. Former players, pundits, media, everyone was immediately on him for not playing Ronaldo v Spurs despite us playing far better. We followed that with a very good performance at Chelsea but the pressure was still there and not getting any weaker so his choices are essentially play Ronaldo every game or risk upsetting him and media which is fine when we win games but will become absolutely unbearable the minute we drop points where we shouldn’t. Fortunately Ronaldo is only here for another year so we will only have to get by through the season half of season and will be able to continue building without him beyond that.

In a hindsight bringing Ronaldo back has held us as a club more than any other move in the last decade, even hiring Moyes.

This time last season
P13 W5 D3 L5 GS21 GA22 GD-1 Points 18

Today
P13 W7 D2 L4 GS18 GA19 GD-1 Points 23

I am not even surprised he is giving in to the pressure as it is coming from all sides. Former players, pundits, media, everyone was immediately on him for not playing Ronaldo v Spurs despite us playing far better. We followed that with a very good performance at Chelsea but the pressure was still there and not getting any weaker so his choices are essentially play Ronaldo every game or risk upsetting him and media which is fine when we win games but will become absolutely unbearable the minute we drop points where we shouldn’t. Fortunately Ronaldo is only here for another year so we will only have to get by through the season half of season and will be able to continue building without him beyond that.

In a hindsight bringing Ronaldo back has held us as a club more than any other move in the last decade, even hiring Moyes.

So, there is still unknown that the injury to make Ronaldo as a starting or the pressure behind screen (maybe media to make Board, sponsor ) to force ETH to do so.
We will struggle in the next few games with Ronaldo, just hope that the board can make some budget in Jan window to buy a proper CF.

Arteta was appointed in Dec 2019, so coming up onto 3 years (not 3.5). And he came midway in the 19/20 season. We were 11th when he arrived and we finished 8th. He definitely came into a chaotic mess but somehow managed to win the FA Cup.

Thank you for your correction.
I am just explaining why someone can compare a turned and turning team in the same ruler.

This time last season
P13 W5 D3 L5 GS21 GA22 GD-1 Points 18

Today
P13 W7 D2 L4 GS18 GA19 GD-1 Points 23

We're on course to hitting 65-72 points this season, which is an improvement over last year. It's a shame because we could have hit 80 without Ronaldo playing for us.

The bolded can't be stressed enough.

The team has massively gone backward with Ronaldo's acquisition. The proof is in the numbers and performances for all to see. We went from finishing second and scoring 120+ goals to finishing 6th and scoring around 70+ goals. That's a drop of 50 goals. In the last 3 weeks we went from playing some of our best football in years without Ronaldo to downright being terrible our last 3 games with Ronaldo. I don't know how he's still allowed on the pitch, starting games after such stark contrast in performances and results with and without him.

He also won the FA cup which helped.

We're on course to hitting 65-72 points this season, which is an improvement over last year. It's a shame because we could have hit 80 without Ronaldo playing for us.

Our points total so far is skewed by the first two games, since which we have improved significantly. I reckon we will be hitting 70 or so, but won't get to 80.

Okay well why are we getting injuries whilst they aren’t?

They hardly have a bigger or imo a much better squad and have had the same fixture contestion. I personally think ETH can be criticised for not rotating enough against omonia and sheriff.

I agree with this because it's influenced the squad availability. The fringe players are likely to put on better performance in Europa compared to the league.

Early signs he's just not good enough as other managers before him. Shambolic selection and absolutely no pattern of play after more than 20 games and full preseason. Ronaldo as a captain finishing the game. Absolutely not good enough and match fit VDB starting instead of Fred. The msot error prone and passive CB we had in our history Lindelof starting ahead of Maguire etc.

He's just pathetic,it's another game to the long list of the ones we fluked a goal out of nothing after not being able to create a single big chance.

Yep he will get a chance beyond this season but so far he just seems like an okay manager who dominated his One-team league because of the players founds and club structure at his disposal, rather then another big thing and talented manager who could finally implement his style for a former top club like ours. We are becoming mediocre and it's only down to managers decisions now.

I refuse to believe this is a serious post.

the main one you are missing is Jesus
Richarlison is preferred for Brazil from what I've seen. In fact Jesus won't have started a match for Brazil in over a year once the world cup arrives.

Compared to united, our whole starting XI bar De Gea, Rashford, Antony will be starting for their countries at the WC.

Richarlison is preferred for Brazil from what I've seen. In fact Jesus won't have started a match for Brazil in over a year once the world cup arrives.

Compared to united, our whole starting XI bar De Gea, Rashford, Antony will be starting for their countries at the WC.

Martinez and Dalot won't start either and it's good if Ronaldo starts every game because it will mean Bruno and Dalot will come back early.

Interesting that he noted that we were forcing "stupid crosses" towards Ronaldo from hopeless angles. Hope he sorts that - first step would be to remove Ronaldo from the starting 11

I rate ETH and think he's doing a good job........ I do think he got it badly wrong at the weekend though.

If Fernandes couldn't play, Eriksen should have played at a No10 with Fred or Mctom along side Casemiro. Also we know Rashford simply can't function from the Right. I'd rather we played Ronaldo on the left and tried Garnacho on the right.

Two really poor choices from the manger IMO.

I rate ETH and think he's doing a good job........ I do think he got it badly wrong at the weekend though.

If Fernandes couldn't play, Eriksen should have played at a No10 with Fred or Mctom along side Casemiro. Also we know Rashford simply can't function from the Right. I'd rather we played Ronaldo on the left and tried Garnacho on the right.

Two really poor choices from the manger IMO.

Yeah, I agree. He’s struggled to come up with sensible ways to cover the injuries/absences we’ve had this week. Trying DVB once seemed sensible but trying him again after the awful display on Thursday made no sense.

As for the forwards, I am a little concerned that Ronaldo has played every minute since returning from his tantrum. I hope it’s just a coincidence given the injuries but I’d have played Garnacho - Rashford - Elanga yesterday and that feels more in keeping with the approach ETH would have taken earlier in the season. Hopefully, it was just a case of making a bad choice in difficult circumstances, we will have more options for Fulham and CR7 will be back on the bench.

Another tough weekend for EtH and the team. Got quite a few big decisions wrong. It's a process of learning, I guess. Hell even Pep, who took over a better squad only managed to finish 4th (on GD as well iirc) in his first full season. No way DvB should have started over Fred/McT and Ronaldo is done at this level. That's clear as day and how he's managed to play 3 full games in a week (i think?) is mind-boggling. Granted some injury issues have forced his hand. Rashford on the right is another bad decision, especially after his possibly been our best attacker this season. So play him on the left or upfront. Let's keep our fingers crossed that Martial and Antony is fit for Fulham.

Status
Not open for further replies.