Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Completely on him this today and he lost lots of my respect today. How many games he needs to understand that we look shit with Ronaldo in attack? 10, 20, 40?
And on top of that, he gives him captain armband and puts Rashford (our only attacking player in form) on the rw.

Yeah, he showed Ronaldo who is the boss indeed. Here is captain role for you, 90 minutes and i will change whole my philosophy for you. That will teach Ronaldo a lesson

Can't start Ronaldo, Rashford (especially on the right) and VDB. We're basically playing with 7 outfield players as none of those three provide anything to the team. Combine that with both Casemiro and Eriksen looking a bit tired, and we just had a massive lack of legs and hunger.

I recognise we're down a lot of attackers so it's not easy, but Elanga (or Pellistri) should have started instead of Garnacho so that Rashford could play on the left, and Fred should have played instead of VDB. Those were both understandable mistakes, but leaving it so long to make changes compounded the issue.

Today loss is on him entirely for his wrong selection. Ronaldo should never have started, less playing full time. He should be limited to impact sub since Martial is back.
Dvb starting is pointless. We should start mct or fred to protect the midfield and push eriksen to be the 10 instead.
ETH has the players to win the game but he placed undeserved faith in players who has not been performing up to standard.

Ronaldo returning to play is probably due to external pressure, probably the board or his agency (most probably the board for me as Ronaldo is way too precious for them to lose). He gave up under pressure and crumbled. If it's that I mostly can't blame managers for being cowards when pressed by outside forces. They will end up getting sacked if they didn't.

And let's be honest for our board Ronaldo is far more important than Ten Hag anyway. He's a nobody for United and United fans while Ronaldo sell ton and ton of merchandise.

This selection of Ronaldo baffles me. Fair enough if he was getting himself in positions for clear chances, but he isn't even doing that.

The selection of VDB baffles me, because he's shit.

Starting to wonder about him after the shit show second half midweek and today's poor selections and badly timed subs!

Throwing down the Gauntlet to him, it's weird that no one see it. He's even said himself, it will take time.

Absolutely embarrassing. The amount on here who shit the bed so easily and simply don't have the stomach for a rebuild are quite frankly a joke.

If you believe that throwing games to make a point to the board is acceptable - you're the embarrassment.

Many of you need to stop asphyxiating on the managerial penis, take a deep breath and realise you follow Manchester United. Not some little Sunday league pet project.

To be be fair it’s in him. Ten Hag should have rested players for EL but went strong so now instead of fresh players we’re forced to play that imagined EL side in important league games. He couldn’t have managed it much worse
He clearly doesn't trust the options we have to change it a lot. The drop in quality from starting to second choice affects our game play and even some of our other starters.

Right now we don't have somebody to carry us through games with a magical moment. So we need the full compliment it seems

Ronaldo and VDB are done. The club should back ETH in January or this will end in tears. Meanwhile I'd like to see us giving kids a shot. I'd rather see us play Mc Neill that Ronaldo.

You're not the only one, but I think that ship has sailed.

Cristiano got what he wanted just like with Ole and Ragnick and there's no way he leaves in January. First no one will want him, second who would captain this side with such authtorit apart from out sweet Portugese prince.

People keep saying that Ronaldo shouldn't have started. Who else was there?

I still think he'll eventually get it right but he has absolutely crumbled on his handling of Ronaldo after handling it so well initially. Ronaldo isn't the sole reason we lost today obviously but he is so incredibly bad now and ETH decides to start and play him the entire game 3 days apart? Even if he was playing well he's 38 years old, that's obviously too much but he's apparently scared to take him off now.

I’d have started Elanga, Martial and Rashford personally. Ronaldo has no right to be playing twice in 3 days. Neither does VDB or Eriksen but fact is the lack of rotation cost us and only one team turned up today.

Away game he plays a soft midfield of vdb and Eriksen is borderline criminal. Midfield is the one area where we have decent depth and yet he decides to start the same players every game. The heck has vdb even done to get 2 starts in a row.

I am cautious and optimistic at the same time, the cautious part is for days like these and the optimistic side is the signs of improvement with how we want to play in the future and where we are in regards to that journey, Ronaldo is a major issue but i know we wont have him for long and that issue will solve itself, we will recruit new attackers to improve our attack come January or the summer that is almost certain. This is the only manager i have had faith in since Fergie and i hope given the time he will repay that faith.

Don't expect much too from this season and look to were we might be next season when the major problems are sorted, he has already sorted 2 by getting rid of Maguire and AWB from the starting line up who were from everyone with eyes one of the major issues from last season, have faith and keep trooping on.

He could play Rashford and play Elanga or anyone else on the right. Bruno has only been missing one game anyway. What's the point in playing Ronaldo if he's absolute garbage? You'd get more out of anyone else.

So Elanga is the alternative all these posters who are moaning want.

You think Elanga makes the difference today or midweek?

Get a grip man! How long did it take Sir Alex to turn it round. Hes only had one transfer window.
Please brush up on your history and re evalate what you just told me. Different era, different team, different problems. I don't agree with you that you can be manager of Manchester United, spend 200 mill and not finish top 4 when your main competitors are this version of Chelsea, Spurs and Newcastle.

I'm not saying ETH out but we have a good enough team to finish top 4 comfortably and no one can convince me otherwise, team selection was bad today, tactics were bad, Aston Villa do not have a better team than us, we should not have lost this game and definitely not in the manner we did.

The worrying thing is after Brentford and City this is the 3rd time in 13 games that we've been thumped away from home and conceded 2 in the opening 7 minutes.

Away game he plays a soft midfield of vdb and Eriksen is borderline criminal. Midfield is the one area where we have decent depth and yet he decides to start the same players every game. The heck has vdb even done to get 2 starts in a row.
Aye, could’ve even done with Scotty today or Fred. We can’t play the game he wants us to play with some of those guys out there today. Just glaringly obvious that we were carrying too many passengers today.

A reminder that we're 9th in xPTS

Our performances have been so so poor all season with the exception of the Spurs game.

We need to sort out our performance levels to have a prayer of top 4 - we're a ticking time bomb and todays loss was so predictable. You can't keep scraping 1 goal wins forever.

Love the guy but this one is on him. Playing and VbD together is like playing with 9 men. We can possibly carry 1 of them, no way we carry both.

You're not the only one, but I think that ship has sailed.

Cristiano got what he wanted just like with Ole and Rangnick and there's no way he leaves in January. First no one will want him, second who would captain this side with such authtorit apart from out sweet Portugese prince.

If that's the case then ETH should simply resign. There's no point ruining his reputation for such badly managed club.

Rashford on RW I can understand, but going with van de Beek was criminal.
He's very naiive if he think we can get away playing that midfield two against high energy teams.

No it won't be don't be an idiot.

His lineup was down to injuries and suspensions. Takes a simple glance to understand that.

Contrary to what you and other Ten Hag fans want to believe, the reality is the board can sack him any time they want. He hasn't achieved anything for United so far for the board to protect him if the results went shit. Ole had his playing career legacy and reputation among fans to shield him when he was awful shit. Ten Hag doesn't.

So yeah, his assessment will be results oriented.

I'm not saying the results are now awful or he should be sacked but claiming the board won't have his job in danger if he doesn't achieve his main goal as if you are an insider in the board is weird to me.

Last edited:
Shouldn’t have taken Shaw and Garnacho off. Our right wing side was the real issue. And the obvious VDB mistake.

Hopefully this first half of the season has been an eye opener for him and he gets the backing we need in January to do something about it.

His pandering to Ronaldo is seriously disappointing. Also starting VDB after that train wreck of a performance on Thursday was daft.

mostly think he’s done a really good job though and is more hampered by us having a piss poor squad once we get injuries.

A reminder that we're 9th in xPTS

Our performances have been so so poor all season with the exception of the Spurs game.

We need to sort out our performance levels to have a prayer of top 4 - we're a ticking time bomb and todays loss was so predictable. You can't keep scraping 1 goal wins forever.

That was always going to happen. The only way we can switch from a typical Ole cowardly counter attack team to a high defence line team is to buy a horde of players. Most of what we've got are unsuited to such game. Rangnick said so as well.

Could anyone tell me why Ronaldo was playing full 90' ? And why Martial is playing as #10? And why no Fred or McT starting when it's clear VDB was shit last match?

I was of the opinion we should play with a 433 with Erkisen Casemiro Fred because we'd need some energy in the midfield. VDB and Eriksen would offer very limited energy and we'd got outrun and outwork in the midfield. Especially with Ronaldo up top which means no pressing against their CBs we'd be very easy to play against. VDB is no Bruno he doesn't even track back or running much. Imo ETH got the line up wrong and surely his subs were wrong too. Shaw and Garnacho was the only wing that offered any sort of attacking threat and he took both out. Ronaldo and VDB should be hooked off by second half. We're down to 2-1 and it's clearly not working yet he kept the same XI in the second half. Big surprise we conceded again.

Ronaldo has played full 4 matches since his "chat" with ETH. I'm a big fan but this is so worrying. ETH might well is on the same road with Ole. Let's hope he would grown some balls to drop Ronaldo the next PL match.

Contrary to what you and other Ten Hag fans want to believe, the reality is the board can sack him any time they want. He hasn't achieved anything for United so far for United for the board to protect if the results went shit. Ole had hs playing career legacy and reputation among fans to shield him when he was awful shit. Ten Hag doesn't.

So yeah, his assessment will be results oriented.

I'm not saying the results are now awful or he should be sacked but claiming the board won't have his job in danger if he doesn't achieve his main goal as if you are an insider in the board is weird to me.
And I think it's fair of the board to expect that, especially given the fact that they've given him 200+ mill. People on here are either too defensive or too offensive, at the end of the day we have the right to criticise ETH as do the board. Considering the competition (Spurs, Newcastle and Chelsea) I'd say that's a fair expectation, especially considering how we've beaten our 'competition' for the top 4 places so far this season.

I admire the confidence of Ten Hag: He set up to dominate. We were 2-0 down before you could blink. At that point whatever plan he had was in the dustbin. However, you have to wonder at the thinking of bringing in Van de Beek for Fernandes. Whatever you think of Bruno, he does a lot of running. Its not always effective but it does help us on transitions. Van de Beek is just not that and, alongside Eriksen, we set ourselves up to be attacked through the middle. Either we were going to completely control the game or completely fold. We folded like origami.

Whoever thinks/expects Cristianos departure in January is about to enter world of pain.

He made ETH his bitch by walking out on the team only to get captains armband 3 weeks later, there's no way he leaves or gets benched anymore, United will do everything possible to accommodate him in the starting eleven.
This

A dumb feck for endorsing that petulant man child and making him captain. Shit and naive team selections. Disastrous in-game management. Spent 200m and he have a negative fecking goal difference after 13 games. How many reality checks does a supposedly 'top class' manager actually need?

Enough is enough now. We need to raise our standards as a fanbase. We need to demand more from every single person earning a big wage at the club. That includes the manager. No more sugarcoating or hiding behind a 3 year project. Show improvements and learn from your mistakes instantly or get the feck out of the club. That's how things work at big an successful clubs.

Hopefully this first half of the season has been an eye opener for him and he gets the backing we need in January to do something about it.
Probably only if the Glazers have another mass fan backlash to deal with

That was always going to happen. The only way we can switch from a typical Ole cowardly counter attack team to a high defence line team is to buy a horde of players. Most of what we've got are unsuited to such game. Rangnick said so as well.
I'm just not buying that we can't be better than the 9th best team in terms of performance metrics. The team can't be that bad.

People keep saying that Ronaldo shouldn't have started. Who else was there?
He doesn’t offer anything. Literally would be better to have another midfielder on, or go 352/343 to grind out a draw/try and hit them on a counter. Some of the goals could have been prevented with another midfielder/defender out there.

Not enough rotation and you can't be playing Eriksen and Donny together away from home.

Bad day at the office let's leave it at that.
But i must say that the drop off in quality from our starting players is alarming.

Status
Not open for further replies.