Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
And what has Fletcher brought to our setup since his appointment? His literal latest update was the shamble in which Rangnick was unpleasant with Fletcher shouting from the touchline when the supposedly team manager is right there.
Which was a report from the Mirror. I do love how people choose to believe awful sources when it suits them.

And what has Fletcher brought to our setup since his appointment? His literal latest update was the shamble in which Rangnick was unpleasant with Fletcher shouting from the touchline when the supposedly team manager is right there.

I'm not sure about what this "mind for the game" from Fletcher is? If it's about his tactical sense from playing as a midfielder, what does that have to do with identifying targets for a football club when it requires network rather than some playing experience?

what hasn't he brought then to his role? i assume you know exactly everything he's done since he's been doing it? i'm curious

Can you point out which Ajax fans here want him gone?

just read any comment thread on the Ajax fansite Ajaxshowtime. A lot of fans feel that this is the end of our supremacy (together with Overmars) but also that a breath of fresh air is needed, and that Ten Hag's Ajax has gone a bit stale and he's an issue w.r.t. youth progression and some other "secure" choices in his squad selection.

Hence why this week there's also been in the news that "With Ten Hag leaving, Unuvar and Taylor (talents) are likely to sign contract extensions", because with Ten Hag here they don't feel they've been given a fair chance

Not saying that Ajashowtime is a particularly reasonable community though, but it's definitely a sentiment that exists within the supporters

Last edited:
You said City and Liverpool would suffer if some of their star players move on, while ignoring the fact that they are master at identifying targets and replacing players on time. In fact, I'd even bet that they'd get their perfect replacement BEFORE our next "good buy".

We haven't even been able to bring Paul Mitchell in yet and Fletcher is expected to be given a more enhanced role in identifying targets (Source Athletic). You expect Fletcher to go head-to-head with City and Liverpool's insanely well-run setup in identifying targets?

People used to say Liverpool would crumble without their front 3 Salah-Mane-Firmino. They simply pulled Jota out of the hat. People used to say their midfield was mediocre and their fullbacks were carrying them. They pulled Fabinho out of the hat. The list goes on and on. Even if we start our "rebuild" this summer, I still expect Liverpool and City to complete their next "rebuild" before us.

I hear what you are saying but I don't really agree. TAA is vital to Liverpool. Salah is vital to Liverpool. You can point to good signings that they have made but a large part of that is that they are a settled team which is highly coached and drilled to within an inch of its life. Is Jota that good? No. Hes a quality player but nothing else. Hes flattered by a highly effective team around him. Is Diaz that amazing? Not from what I have seen, again, a good player who is in a very good and functional team. I mean, James Milner was basically on the scrap heap before he went to Liverpool and has been vital to them over the years.

I don't disagree that their recruitment has been very good at times. Alisson and VVD being prime examples recently but I think people downplay the effect of having a very settled and well coached team. Makes it easy for new players to come in and makes identifying the type of player that will do well a lot easier.

My point is that it doesn't take much to go from the best of the best to just very good. If you simply took TAA and Salah out of this Liverpool team they wouldn't be close to City IMO this year. If you took De Bruyne and Foden out of the City team I don't think they would be close to Liverpool this season. They both have alternatives but the aforementioned are game changers and you need those to win trophies.

Its one of the things that United have got so wrong over the years. Star players are what you buy to elevate your well coached team from good to great, they don't take a team from poor to great. There are a host of well coached teams out there who are never going to go anywhere because they simply don't have the players.

Liverpool and City would still be very very good teams without their best players but they wouldn't be anything like the level they are at right now.

Really, any discussable weakness is enough to create reasonable doubt, and for that to build it doesn't take much. Especially if the majority of people have the basic instinct of blaming the manager as a digestible way to explain things.

True. But if the last few years has taught me one thing, it's that the stupidity of the board is a function of the stupidity of the fans - or at least a great number of them.

If the bulk of fans are happy to keep paying for dross then the Glazers had no incentive to give them anything else. We ultimately get the football we deserved. And if we don't back Ten Hag against both the board and the players - when we need to - then we will continue to get what we deserve.

Fortunately many of our fans are intelligent and will see that while we have been of the wrong path since SAF retired, we are now stumbling belatedly onto the right one.

I predict us giving and receiving some batterings, whilst playing markedly better football and an initially difficult and inconsistent period.

I really hope we get four players in as a minimum. In an ideal world its five. In a realistic world its three.

I think we'll look clumsy, maybe even dull at the start. In the first year tiki taka always looks blunt in the final third. People will mistake growing pains for struggles. This is before even factoring the process of eliminating who has no business playing in a sophisticated short passing system. Between Jose and Ole the club has built the squad to get goals with minimal organised build up. We're pretty much giving a Jose type team to a Pep type manager. This thing will take time to sort out so patience will be key. It will absolutely need more revolution than evolution if ETH is to succeed.

Liverpool were laughed at for putting Michael Edwards in charge of their recruitment setup at the time. Mitchell has a spotty at best track record, what makes you think Fletcher can’t do a better job? Loads of people over the years have raved about Fletcher’s mind for the game.

Excluding Andy Mitten, name some.

With City it will be difficult for the long term but with Pool they are a few mediocre buys away from losing their unbeatable aura. We've seen last season what happens with a few key injuries, the level drops enormously.
Fair enough

I imagine this is our final attempt to get back to the top. If ten hag fails here, then I don’t know what to

pains me to say but we will have to wait a couple years to get back to our rivals’ levels, if everything works out that is.

But this is a big step in the right direction and I’m happy for it.

I imagine this is our final attempt to get back to the top. If ten hag fails here, then I don’t know what to

pains me to say but we will have to wait a couple years to get back to our rivals’ levels, if everything works out that is.

If does kind of feel do or die.

I mean, if this fails, where the hell do we go?

Not sure why everything is on EtH in terms of do or die. It all starts with player identification and recruitment.

City and Chelsea have changed managers many times the past 15 years, but they've been competitive and won because of player identification and recruiting. Yes, the BS money/ownership has helped, but you can't deny they usually have quality players who prop them up most seasons and are good enough to get Top 4 at minimum and challenge for trophies. Then they were able to get better managers like Pep. Chelsea haven't won the league since Conte, but are still first and foremost a cup team.

That you're right about. There is a lot of criticism toward him that pre dates United confirmation. Just took a look :lol:

The poll on ETH they had there, 30% had sack and 30% said wait until end of season to sack.

The worrying thing is that a lot of MUFC fans are expecting ETH to be the silver bullet to cure all our on-pitch troubles.
This is ETH's first job at a big club as a manager and MUFC fans need to be aware that the likelihood of failure is actually quite high (higher than Jose or LVG, who had a track record of winning at big clubs).
IMO, the expectations which are being placed on ETH are unreasonable and many fans may be hugely disappointed.
Given what has happened with all our past managers, my expectations of ETH are rock bottom.

Hate this attitude.

Plenty thought Jose's Chelsea were unstoppable too and no one thought we'd challenge after we sold Ruud.

We can win the Prem with Klopp and Pep around.

Teams won it when we had Fergie too.

This is a winner's mentality.
Loser's reading what you wrote will read, "does not compute".

with the right structure in place then the success/failure of one manager shouldn't knock us so much off course as it has done in the past

remains to be seen if the structure we're building is the correct one and the people are the correct people, but hopefully that will be the case

I was just about to start a thread about my concerns that ETH doesn't speak very good english but I foolishly did a little research and his english is great. Why have people been saying that he would need to learn english. That was literally my biggest concern about him and it turns out I was completely wrong.

Now my biggest concern is the club/players not backing him. Business as usual. :D

I was just about to start a thread about my concerns that ETH doesn't speak very good english but I foolishly did a little research and his english is great. Why have people been saying that he would need to learn english. That was literally my biggest concern about him and it turns out I was completely wrong.

Now my biggest concern is the club/players not backing him. Business as usual. :D
He probably speaks better English than our English players. I am not sure the ones in charge now will take the same nonsense from the players because they would be going against them as well.

Because his English poor compared to most Dutch people :lol: So is his Dutch btw

So it probably originated in Dutch press and spread,

Yep. At least he definitely knows where Pep keeps his uppers.

Said it before, he's like the village idiot stung by a radioactive Pep spider. In German, the technical footballing term is "positiv bekloppt", positive-loony. You've got to love it. It's going to be awesome.

Poor man, he has no idea where he is coming to, I'll give him 6 months, they will eat him alive, if this true.

Remembering how the players cried about Rangnick's methods. First year will be ugly. Ready for the leaks amounting to "locker room doesn't feel he is good enough for them". The current crop are so deluded some are reportedly already asking for first team assurances, not even the good performers who are asking.

Remembering how the players cried about Rangnick's methods. First year will be ugly. Ready for the leaks amounting to "locker room doesn't feel he is good enough for them". The current crop are so deluded some are reportedly already asking for first team assurances, not even the good performers who are asking.
There is no current group except Ronaldo. Everyone else should fear for their future.

Most of the problematic personalities will be gone by the season end though. Lingard, Pogba, Martial, will be out the door. Possibly Rashford too.

Headline after he picks up a dozen women using his awkward pickup lines:

Ten Hag Blags Rag Tag Slag Shag

I'm assuming he'll use classic lines like "your faces are nearly symmetrical" and "who wants to play in a double pivot?"

Said it before, he's like the village idiot stung by a radioactive Pep spider. In German, the technical footballing term is "positiv bekloppt", positive-loony. You've got to love it. It's going to be awesome.
That's brilliant :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.