Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone els think he’s staying? Or still reckon he’s getting sacked? If so they’re dragging it out aren’t they.

Surely they would have come out and said if he was staying to stop all this noise. Either way, yeah this is dragging on.

The problem with just sacking him for sake of sacking him means we again go back to square 1.
How many more seasons are we willing to write off? hiring a new manager just writes off next season because there will be 1st season excuses.

If Ten Hag stays there are none of those, pressure is on from pre season, he has to deliver something next season.

And if he doesn’t then what? We have to sack him anyway, hire an interim, write off another season, still go back to square 1 with a new manager having needlessly wasted yet another year when he should have been sacked this summer…

All on the off chance he improves us massively next season? (providing all our squad are 100% available and injury free, obviously)

I totally get why people want him gone, even if I disagree (on balance and it's close). I totally get and agree with the one third who wanted him to stay before Saturday. But the people who changed their minds because of the cup final - those people I have no idea what they're thinking. They shouldn't be allowed to vote.

Could see it coming a mile off if we won, like a previous post said I think fan channels have also influenced yes votes

Or not. I despise fan channels. But I’d still take ten Hag over 90% of the options.

Of those I’d take, we won’t be getting Pep, Klopp, Ancelotti, Alonso, Arteta, and they’re aren’t many others that would feel like a guarantee.

Of those left, most would need 2-3 years to access. I’d rather take any of them after another year of EtH. To suggest that isn’t stupid. It’s more a case that there aren’t many world class options available right now.

We’re a huge club. We could attract a great coach in a year when the structure is sorted. I don’t treat EtH as a messiah. He’s done ok in a tough season. The FA Cup win has of course had an effect on some. But that’s really ok. First person to beat Pep in a domestic final. It’s no mean feat. We should be celebrating it.

And if he doesn’t then what? We have to sack him anyway, hire an interim, write off another season, still go back to square 1 with a new manager having needlessly wasted yet another year when he should have been sacked this summer…

All on the off chance he improves us massively next season? (providing all our squad are 100% available and injury free, obviously)

I mean I cant see any manager on that list that will last more than 2 years anyway.

Fans favourite Tuchel doesnt last more than 2 years. Also quite funny that people want a manager that has had a poor style of play and finished so far off in a 1 team league. In both seasons he has been in charge, been quite rubbish really. So if the people who want Ten Hag sacked due to style of play and this season, how can you put a case for Tuchel based on the season just gone?

Or not. I despise fan channels. But I’d still take ten Hag over 90% of the options.

Of those I’d take, we won’t be getting Pep, Klopp, Ancelotti, Alonso, Arteta, and they’re aren’t many others that would feel like a guarantee.

Of those left, most would need 2-3 years to access. I’d rather take any of them after another year of EtH. To suggest that isn’t stupid. It’s more a case that there aren’t many world class options available right now.

We’re a huge club. We could attract a great coach in a year when the structure is sorted. I don’t treat EtH as a messiah. He’s done ok in a tough season. The FA Cup win has of course had an effect on some. But that’s really ok. First person to beat Pep in a domestic final. It’s no mean feat. We should be celebrating it.

Oh absolutely we should be celebrating it, however there is no doubt it still papers over the cracks of a terrible season. Many seem to have conveniently forgotten that since Saturday

This definitely isn't a stick to beat Ten Hag with. Casemiro's performances have been embarrassing, albeit out of position. He should definitely leave and it will be the correct decision for the club.
Correct! Playing Casemiro with his current season performance would have been a gift for City. I can see Foden being the hero of the final.

This definitely isn't a stick to beat Ten Hag with. Casemiro's performances have been embarrassing, albeit out of position. He should definitely leave and it will be the correct decision for the club.

Also, I can understand why Casemiro would have been annoyed, despite it being the right call to drop him. He played out of position to help the team, looked crap doing so, and lost his normal position for the final.

But your entire point about "no one better" is just speculation anyways? My point is we've just had 2 seasons of evidence now in what Ten Hag brings, and for the past 18 months now it's been a steady decline in performances and results (FA cup run excluded). We haven't seen "progress" in how he wants to play, in fact we saw regression with "how he wants to play". So the plan is just to hope he reverts back to our season 1 tactics? Not to mention we haven't even had a good performance that was excellent to watch since probably the Spurs 2-0 in 2022?
It's not speculation, it's my opinion, which you disagree on. Just like my opinion is EtH has had a pretty bad season, which you agree with. Both are just opinions, you're presenting it as there being some kind of alternative which isn't speculation or an opinion when obviously there isn't.

I personally think you're putting too much stock in Dutch league success with the biggest club in that league. It's a good barometer, and he did a great job there, but we aren't talking about some serial winner that's been at multiple stops and had success every where before coming to United and now recently failing. This isn't me wanting to sack Carlo fecking Ancellotti for Thomas Frank. I mean you call me disengenuous and then your best defense of keeping Ten Hag is "He has the possibility of stop being stubborn and play a sensible system", which is hilariously WHAT HE HAD AN ENTIRE SEASON TO DO. He had 8 months to do what you're hoping he does next season! Instead he burned our entire year to the ground in historically bad fashion by persisting with a god awful setup and then crying about injuries for months on end without proactively looking in any way to play around those injuries.
You are free to think that I'm putting too much weight on the Dutch league, I would counter by saying EtH has won as many trophies here as Poch has in his entire career for example, despite one managing Neymar, Mbappe and Messi, as well as Kane and Son.

None of what you describe I disagree with, it's why I think he's deservedly under consideration to be sacked. I called you disingenuous for presenting the argument as only being justified if I was "enthusiastic" about EtH remaining. I am not and do not need to be. I just need to be less enthusiastic about Thomas Frank et al.

There are two parts to sacking a manager, removing him based on his poor performance (I think he's met this criteria) and finding a suitable replacement. I think on the second category we are so far away from a suitable replacement it's actually unfunny. I think the 6 names so far are absolutely terrible and I would take Moyes back before at least half of them.

The "there's no one better" logic is just flawed in any aspect anyways and always will be no matter what we are talking about. If someone shows you they are a failure and failing at the job they have to do, you get rid of them. If a striker misses 50 sitters in a season but the striker market doesn't have some obvious star player available to replace him with, that doesn't mean you just keep the shit player because there isn't an obvious decision to be made. And acting like there isn't a manager that's out there that can improve upon 8th place with a negative goal difference is just as disengenous, especially considering we watched teams managed by fecking Ole get 2nd and 3rd while everyone here called him a buffoon that had 0 clue what he was doing.
But again, your argument is being disingenuous. We aren't talking about a star player being required. In your analogy we signed a striker from the Dutch league who filled his boots there and had a respectable first season and has been abject this season because he refuses to use his feet. We can release him but the options to replace him are Wout Weghorst, Nathan Broadhead, Antony Martial and Mario Balotelli.

Absolutely none of those options will ever be good enough, there's a tiny chance the stubborn Dutch guy who decided he would only score headers unless it was an important match might start using his feet again. Given he's only got a year left on his contract I'm of the opinion that we might as well wait and see rather than committing millions of pounds we could use on players or facilities to someone we absolutely know we wont want around in 18 months time.

I get the desire for a public declaration but I prefer the club act on their own timeline, not the media's or even the fans'. When Sir Jim came in, I understood a new system was being put in place so I chose to trust it. While I'd personally like it resolved, much of the speculation was fueled by the media who act as if they are entitled to responses from the club on every matter they raise. Good for their viewing figures but not a game the club needs to play. The only story until the Euros will be what managers get sacked/appointed, that should not affect the process the club has said is being followed. I'll support their decision and my own preference is to give ETH another season.

The King is right. We've been shit in most games this season because we can't do the basics, especially keep possession. We're awful to watch. Saturday's game went our way when it could easily have gone against us. Had Foden/Alvarez/Haaland scored one of their earlier chances, they very likely would have gone on to win. Nobody would have been praising our tactics then - in fact everyone would have been slagging us off for parking the bus.

ETH has to go, but his departure should be done with dignity.

Falling out with a player who didn't have the legs to play anymore in this league....Fergie would have done the same and not played him despite his stature as a player

The King is right. We've been shit in most games this season because we can't do the basics, especially keep possession. We're awful to watch. Saturday's game went our way when it could easily have gone against us. Had Foden/Alvarez/Haaland scored one of their earlier chances, they very likely would have gone on to win. Nobody would have been praising our tactics then - in fact everyone would have been slagging us off for parking the bus.

ETH has to go, but his departure should be done with dignity.
You can say that about any reasonably close game. The fact is United actually did get their tactics spot on and maintained a good attacking threat all game while still being defensively excellent. City can still score against excellent teams, it happens. None of that changes the fact he took a team which is man for man far worse than the opposition and turned it into a game close enough that we could actually win.

No matter what you think of EtH in general, trying to diminish that is nonsense. Everyone should have been praising out tactics even if City had managed to win.

FA cup win will mask all the damage that's been done this season, if we retain EtH then can see same shit happening next season. 2 seasons our underlyings numbers are terrible. Can't see them improving.

I hope the the new management takes some sensible decisions

FA cup win will mask all the damage that's been done this season, if we retain EtH then can see same shit happening next season. 2 seasons our underlyings numbers are terrible. Can't see them improving.

I hope the the new management takes some sensible decisions

Yeah I am hoping that's the case too

I'm not sure he will , but I'd like him to stay . Personally I think he will have learned an awful lot more about his players and the league this season than he did in his first .

Every new manager at a club , no matter who he is , is learning on the job about that particular job . It's not the same as his last job .

Throwing away what he has learned to let a new guy start a fresh and learn hasn't got us anywhere .

I'm positive that he will have a much clearer picture of the player types he needs to make it work , and also who the players are that he can't count on, but thought he could .
I believe his football played by top well suited players could be really good . There is no substitute for top players if you want to be a top team . Pep ain't coaching Burnley to league titles is he ?

Fergie would have done the same and not played him despite his stature as a player

Fergie wouldn't have bought him in the first place - but whatever.

If ETH has actually "fallen out" with Casemiro, fine - I support ETH there, because Casemiro is a player who should be moved on ASAP regardless.

ETH does know that he can’t play that way every game. The problem is his other way of playing has been terrible and we have no idea if he can fix that. Frankly, sticking with him on the back of one FA cup final would be ridiculous. Whatever decision INEOS have made in their review should be stuck to. If they truly believe he can turn things around then they will choose to give him a go anyway.

Actively campaigning for INEOS to keep ETH, rather than trusting the new structure in place to use the their best judgement is actively harmful to the club. At least give Wilcox and Ashworth when he gets here a proper chance to do their job without external pressure possibly interfering with their judgment. I still don’t trust that ETH can really turn it around, but if that’s what they go with then I’ll hope for the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.