Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
No I disagree with that. If the decision was made to sack him, they would have been clear before the final that winning it would make no difference. They’re not going to flip their decision because of one result.

The only thing that has changed is the optics. They will let the hysteria of the final settle, plant a few stories about how things haven’t been good enough results wise but also on the training ground and in a week or so when people have come down from the win, they will explain that it’s not been an easy decision but the league campaign was not good enough and it’s time for a change.

Either that or they have decided for a while that with one year left on his contract, no stand out candidate, the people who should make these decisions on gardening leave and difficult circumstances around injuries, Greenwood and Sancho - it won’t hurt to let him see out his contract.

What won’t make a blind bit of difference to the ultimate decision is the result on Saturday. There is just no way the new owners and footballing structure are going to make an emotional decision based on one result.
Maybe. They wouldn’t be making it on one result though. Have people forgot about last season? Ratcliffe had already said when first coming in that every manager we’ve had since fergie as failed and their not all bad managers. The environment is bad. They’ll also take into account all the injuries we’ve had this season and all the off field stuff he’s had to deal with. We get Martinez and Varane back and look what happens, we beat the best team in the country. He’s shown what he can do with a fully fit squad. Ratcliffe will also be thinking about Arsenal and how Arteta finished 8th twice. Only winning 1 trophy in 5 years. Also the fact Klopp as left means Liverpool will be going through new changes which in reality should but us in a better position than them. If we bring in a new manager they have to be 1000% sure it’s the right thing to do or they’ll just look as useless as the glazers. A new manager will mean a new cycle where we may not win anything for a couple of years.

It’s little short of a disgrace the way Ineos have treated EtH these last few days, he needs immediate clarification. Less we forget he’s managed to win two trophies in two seasons and in doing so secured our place in Europe ahead of Newcastle and Chelsea. Meanwhile Arsenal have still yet to win anything and Liverpool have only won the League Cup. So it puts it into perspective when you consider the huge number of injuries with no reinforcements brought in during the January transfer window.

How do you know he hasn't been given it in private?

It was widely reported last week that he was told after the Palace game he's done. He finally gave up on the chaos ball after that game so there may have been something to that.

A shocking season, where our set-up was unchanged for most of it, despite the whole of the footballing world seeing the huge gap between a pensionable midfield and overworked defence.
Then for a one-off final, he plays Ole tactics and wins, and half of his detractors change their minds?

Thanks for the cup Erik, but one swallow does not a summer make.

We can only keep him if we give him a new contract and even then if he gets off to a bad start he’s history suggests you have to sack him.

The decision to keep him makes no logical sense except to keep fans happy who will turn on your decision anyway if ETH fails. I hope Ineos are as competent as they have been showing with changing the higher ups and give the new manager a full summer to explore this new United.

I have a question to those saying “but what are the alternatives out there?”

does that mean you would sack him if there was an alternative that you liked?

I don't personally think he can stay after how the season has played out.

But, I can also see why plenty have issues with the list of potential successors. The list seems to be: Frank, Poch, McKenna and Tuchel. It's not a list that is going to have the majority jumping for joy. There are a good few who seem to be "anyone but ETH" which is baffling. They will be the first to complain if the new man encounters any struggles. As I said, I think he should go, but I certainly wouldn't be happy if someone like Poch got the gig.

Maybe. They wouldn’t be making it on one result though. Have people forgot about last season? Ratcliffe had already said when first coming in that every manager we’ve had since fergie as failed and their not all bad managers. The environment is bad. They’ll also take into account all the injuries we’ve had this season and all the off field stuff he’s had to deal with. We get Martinez and Varane back and look what happens, we beat the best team in the country. He’s shown what he can do with a fully fit squad. Ratcliffe will also be thinking about Arsenal and how Arteta finished 8th twice. Only winning 1 trophy in 5 years. Also the fact Klopp as left means Liverpool will be going through new changes which in reality should but us in a better position than them. If we bring in a new manager they have to be 1000% sure it’s the right thing to do or they’ll just look as useless as the glazers. A new manager will mean a new cycle where we may not win anything for a couple of years.
You seem to be missing my point entirely.

I don’t get your last comment. Did you expect them to keep him?

No I just mean all of the new management team will have had input in this decision made to sack him. Sacking Ten Hag is effectively the 'new structures' first proper decision, and yet one of the most common arguments from those who want to keep him is due to deference to the new structure, and how they're going to save us by making all the right decisions now.

How is that relevant when Ten Hag has inherited a team of similar value and has spent about half a billion on it himself?

Onana had a poor Champions League campaign but the entire team was poorly set up. We relied on him saving a penalty at home to Copenhagen to stop us dropping points. We didn't lay a glove on Bayern in the final group game. The entire team collapsed after the red cards against Copenhagen and Galatasaray. 4 points from 6 games is an embarrassing record.

We lost to Newcastle's second string side at Old Trafford in the Carabao. There are countless examples of incompetence over the last 18 months, we need to oust the man responsible for that. And it's not Andre Onana.

Similar value? They've spent €1100 on transfer fees alone in the last two years.

The entire team wasn't poorly set up, we went from being comfortable against Bayern, Copenhagen and Galatasaray to completely losing our shit and playing without any confidence whatsoever, the players are fragile, it's hardly uncommon. Mistake here, mistake there, players get nervous. Remove individual mistakes directly related to goals, and there was an abundance of those, and we qualify comfortably.

You seem to be missing my point entirely.
No I did get what you was saying. I was just making a point of it won’t just be based of one game. They can’t exclude his first season aswell like it never happened.

No I did get what you was saying. I was just making a point of it won’t just be based of one game. They can’t exclude his first season aswell like it never happened.
Yes and my point was that if they have already made that evaluation then losing the final would have resulted in them sticking with him too. The result should not and will not have any bearing on his future.

Disagree re Antony. I know there was a scramble post the Brigton and Brentford thumpings and The Glazers released money late, but it is neive to think that Ten Hag would not have been kept abreast of the situation with the price going up and up. At a point, he could have said "ok, hang on, i want him, but 85+ mil is ridiculous and I have doubts he will even live up to that price tag". And looking back, was that really a position of need"
This whole deal was about desperation. Erik had asked for a striker initially and was then made to make do with a wide forward. Given our start to the season the club then became desperate to placate the fans. It was a perfect storm for Ajax to maximise the fee and our lot were too stupid and desperate to see it/stop it. I sometimes wonder if ridiculous fees are worn like a badge of honour by the Glazers “look how much we can spend”. It plays into the whole Woodward Disneyland thing.

I would say that having 4-5 young players we can build around for the next decade is a lot better than aging strikers, failed wonderkids and one dimensional defenders. Not sure how much credit Ten Hag deserves for it, but we are definitely not needing to build from the ground up again. We have a solid young core.

Hojlund
Garnacho -×- Diallo
Mainoo - ×
× -× - Kambwala - ×
Add to that elite talent like Bruno, Shaw and Martinez, and there is definitely something to build on there.
Having 4/5 talented young players means absolutely jack all if you don't have a manager that knows how best to develop a system that allows them to thrive and punch it out with the very best. It's too random and ad-hoc and that isn't the way to be bring through young players in a way that maximises their potential.

The problem is whatever 'style' EtH is providing has led to trophies across two seasons. Any new manager could provide a brilliant, innovative style of sumptuous passing but deliver nothing.

This is Ineos' real problem:

How does their guy ensure trophies continue?

I do fear Ineos will appeal for their appointment to be given time, but that really won't wash if they sack a trophy winning manager who succeeded from the off.

Also, if their chosen boss fails, will there be any repercussions at an executive level, or will they be paying themselves millions to fail upwards?

There is a serious danger of us talking ourselves into an Arsene Wenger phase of pretty-passing and 'trophy for fourth'.

Let's see.
Trophies are obviously great fun, but wouldn't it be nice to look forward to and enjoy watching United play for a fecking change? Christ, this club is supposed to be all about enjoyment and great football. Balls to a Carabao cup if the trade off if 95% of the other games are a depressing chore. It must be great to be entertained by the football your team plays.

Similar value? They've spent €1100 on transfer fees alone in the last two years.

The entire team wasn't poorly set up, we went from being comfortable against Bayern, Copenhagen and Galatasaray to completely losing our shit and playing without any confidence whatsoever, the players are fragile, it's hardly uncommon. Mistake here, mistake there, players get nervous. Remove individual mistakes directly related to goals, and there was an abundance of those, and we qualify comfortably.

The mentality/nervousness point is crucial. It pre dates ten hag and ole. We're pretty confident when on the attack, but terrified on the defence. Almost expecting to concede a goal.

I put a lot of it down to the lack of a consistent centre back partnership. When was the last time we had one? Varane and Martinez are clearly our best CBs and it shows when they play together.

We seem far more adventurous when the players have confidence that those behind them can control a counter attack if they take a risk that doesn't come off.

Tuchel and Pochettino have both just failed terribly at big clubs. Amazing how much support they're getting.
Tuchel has had to deal with issues at his club, not so much the players as the heirarchy having their say a bit to vocally. Poch had to deal with a bonkers owner who along with his cronies brought loads and loads of players in and expect it to all drop into place instantly. Poch won't have gone because of the league position it is that they don't want the manager to have any say in transfers. Tuchel has had success in the recent past. Bayern are now quite happy to employ a manager who got his club relegated, proved to be stubborn just because Pep said so.

Putting this is here aswell cause it’s how I feel about ETH and don’t mind sticking my toes in once in awhile to unsettle the lynch mob.

Since Ferguson left, I can remember an awful lot more bad than good. And as bad as things have been this season , the Barca the last year, and the FA cup chaos run (semi final and all) and beating the strongest team in the world in the final by outplaying them (not flucking) when everybody had written us off. Well it’s been some of the fondest and most rewarding games I’ve watched in a long time. Helping derail Klopps sendoff in that FA cup game is particularly sweet. Forlan is fondly remembered for just scoring against Liverpool, I’d like to think ETH navigating us past a pep and Klopp team to victory will get proper recognition, as he’s gotten none from a lot of people.

People talking about standards are kind of really talking sh/t. United are not a super club on the field since Ferguson left. Spending lots of money doesn’t make you a super club on field , I’d of thought Chelsea under Boehly and Woodwards Disneyland , half arsed Galactico transfer policy would have thought people that.

Some fans simply haven’t woken up to the reality of where we are at. If you can’t really enjoy those moments under ETH , why bother following football ? Constantly over focusing on the negatives and some weird relentless aggressive mob lynching going after the manager. It’s part of the culture of the sport , I get that, but people really lose the run of themselves.

Our manager won the FA cup really against all the odds. Everything that could go wrong , had gone wrong this season. We made it to the FA cup final in a similar “seats of your pants” way United got to and won the CL in 1999: ironically it’s closer to the Fergie football of that time cause it was chaos , beautiful chaos. (I’m not saying it’s anywhere near as strong a squad , I’m comparing the drama).

I’d like to see ETH stay. Some people said “a manager can’t come back from this or turn things around” , well the FA cup run says otherwise.

There’s been a lot of mitigating reasons why this season was so poor and while some could argue he could of played his hand better, it doesn’t change the absolute sh/8show he’s had to manage. ABUs and bias media understandably and ignorantly dismiss it out of spite and clickbait motive , but to why objective observer ETH has been given a raw deal in the 2 years he’s been here. And in my view he’s handled it with dignity and confidence that I want from all our managers.

He took over a toxic , divided dressingroom and had to navigate drama after drama from day 1. He’s really popular with most of the squad. He’s helped nurture multiple really talented looking players. He’s won a cup both years he has managed us. He’s been a part of some savage memorable moments. He’s also left us in a really good spot relative to when he took over. Lots of potential and despite the whinging about his signings they are more hit than miss. Only a moron judges an injury plagued player against a manager.

And he seems like a decent enough bloke , not charming full of sh/t manager that people seem to crave. He’s just a football man, not a character which seems to sway the popularity.

I hope he stays and we see what he can do with an injury less season and a proper bunch of professional adults helping him with recruitment and all other aspects that have been neglected under the Glazers.

Whatever happens , I will be fond of him cause he’s been a breath of fresh air.

Tuchel has had to deal with issues at his club, not so much the players as the heirarchy having their say a bit to vocally. Poch had to deal with a bonkers owner who along with his cronies brought loads and loads of players in and expect it to all drop into place instantly. Poch won't have gone because of the league position it is that they don't want the manager to have any say in transfers. Tuchel has had success in the recent past. Bayern are now quite happy to employ a manager who got his club relegated, proved to be stubborn just because Pep said so.

I get it. I recognise both are good managers. But Pochettino's reputation has taken a disproportionate boost since Christmas in my opinion. I like the guy, and always got the sense he wanted to be at united, but they just kind of ended up in sixth and benefitted hugely from their final run when some of the teams they played were in off mode. We were 3 points behind them, and won the fa cup, its undoubtedly a better season. As far as first seasons go, ten hags was infintely better. Where issues are concerned, I think ten hag has also faced more than each of them. In two seasons, aside from the injuries this year, he had:

The Ronaldo situation. A lot of revisionism going on this year, but ronaldo was well past it and looked an utter shadow of himself. Its such a difficult job for any manager to deal with a true legend of the game on the decline.

The Greenwood situation, was a travesty for the club. Not only that, but they seemed to open the door to his return, and therefore didnt sign a striker, then u-turned and left ten hag with a 20 year old up top on his own all season.

This was then exacerbated by Antony's situation.

Ownership. I think people forget how fraught this was for so long. It looked like we were about to be bought in full by qatar for a while. As a result, you have a current ownership, like the current uk government, just going through the motions at every level.

It has been a chaotic two years off the pitch, and to emerge with 2 trophies is a good return, albeit our league form this year has obviously been awful.

Putting this is here aswell cause it’s how I feel about ETH and don’t mind sticking my toes in once in awhile to unsettle the lynch mob.

Since Ferguson left, I can remember an awful lot more bad than good. And as bad as things have been this season , the Barca the last year, and the FA cup chaos run (semi final and all) and beating the strongest team in the world in the final by outplaying them (not flucking) when everybody had written us off. Well it’s been some of the fondest and most rewarding games I’ve watched in a long time. Helping derail Klopps sendoff in that FA cup game is particularly sweet. Forlan is fondly remembered for just scoring against Liverpool, I’d like to think ETH navigating us past a pep and Klopp team to victory will get proper recognition, as he’s gotten none from a lot of people.

People talking about standards are kind of really talking sh/t. United are not a super club on the field since Ferguson left. Spending lots of money doesn’t make you a super club on field , I’d of thought Chelsea under Boehly and Woodwards Disneyland , half arsed Galactico transfer policy would have thought people that.

Some fans simply haven’t woken up to the reality of where we are at. If you can’t really enjoy those moments under ETH , why bother following football ? Constantly over focusing on the negatives and some weird relentless aggressive mob lynching going after the manager. It’s part of the culture of the sport , I get that, but people really lose the run of themselves.

Our manager won the FA cup really against all the odds. Everything that could go wrong , had gone wrong this season. We made it to the FA cup final in a similar “seats of your pants” way United got to and won the CL in 1999: ironically it’s closer to the Fergie football of that time cause it was chaos , beautiful chaos. (I’m not saying it’s anywhere near as strong a squad , I’m comparing the drama).

I’d like to see ETH stay. Some people said “a manager can’t come back from this or turn things around” , well the FA cup run says otherwise.

There’s been a lot of mitigating reasons why this season was so poor and while some could argue he could of played his hand better, it doesn’t change the absolute sh/8show he’s had to manage. ABUs and bias media understandably and ignorantly dismiss it out of spite and clickbait motive , but to why objective observer ETH has been given a raw deal in the 2 years he’s been here. And in my view he’s handled it with dignity and confidence that I want from all our managers.

He took over a toxic , divided dressingroom and had to navigate drama after drama from day 1. He’s really popular with most of the squad. He’s helped nurture multiple really talented looking players. He’s won a cup both years he has managed us. He’s been a part of some savage memorable moments. He’s also left us in a really good spot relative to when he took over. Lots of potential and despite the whinging about his signings they are more hit than miss. Only a moron judges an injury plagued player against a manager.

And he seems like a decent enough bloke , not charming full of sh/t manager that people seem to crave. He’s just a football man, not a character which seems to sway the popularity.

I hope he stays and we see what he can do with an injury less season and a proper bunch of professional adults helping him with recruitment and all other aspects that have been neglected under the Glazers.

good post

*insert aggressive clapping gif*

Good post, agreed.

I will add that I have been infuriated at times with his in game management, his stubbornness in picking Anthony, his cautious/weird at times approach to Amad (who has looked fantastic when he has played). However, despite that I would much rather stick with ETH than flip a coin and hope for the best with the famously volatile Tuchel, the totally underwhelming Poch and the fully unproven McKenna. Won’t even bother suggesting Southgate, assume he’s a Liverpool fan windup.

I also really want ETH to stay and stick one to all the pundits who have written him off and partly to INEOS for treating him like a mug. The latter potentially will come with him managing a rival club and outperforming us, which will be a fecking kick in the nuts but I hope he proves them wrong at United, obviously.

I can't disagree with people who want him out, man I've wanted him gone immediately after some of our performances in some games.

That all said I do wonder if it's worth sticking with him for 1 more season. Not least because we save a sum of money from early termination.

Also for me it's a case of managers prior to him doing well until they try and change the style of play. A need to be "Manchester United" of you will. Yet success coming from how we played against City.

Another big factor for me is that I always feel players like say Amrabat are not bad players. They just aren't given the "bedding in" season because of where we are at as a club. I mean even Vidic and Evra were doubted by fans and players on arrival.

Don't get me wrong here I'm not advocating for Amrabat. Just using him as an example.

I just wonder if some kind of consistency will mean likes of Hojlund with a season under his belt, Amrabat if we keep him, they youngsters with a successful season under their belt (success as in game time and a trophy and making their respective national t ams etc) will make everything come together next season. A new manager may stall that? Maybe?

Why would we be looking to replace a manager now that Ten Hag proved he can beat Man City in a cup final? They are the yard stick.

If another manager was to come in and not win the FA cup or more in their first season the fans wouldn't forgive the Glazers/INEOS.

The squad I think the new structure should give Ten Hag for next season is:

Garnacho Hojlund Greenwood
New experienced LW, New ST, Amad

Bruno
Mount

New CDM Mainoo
Amrabat New CM

New LB
Martinez New RCB Dalot
Shaw New LCB Lindelof. AWB

Onana
Altay

22 man squad.
7 new signings including 4 squad players

Selling Rashford, Sancho, Casemiro, Eriksen, Maguire.

Releasing Martial, Varane, Heaton

Backups of Forson, McTominay, Malacia, Evans, Kambwala and Antony if we can't sell him.

No1 can tell me this isn't possible for INEOS. We're in Europa and didn't spend a thing in January either.

We could quite easily recoup £175m from the 5 sales. Rashford 80, Sancho 40, Casemiro 20, Eriksen 5 and Maguire 30.

I agree that ESPN coverage and punditry is about the worst in the business, but it’s smoke and mirrors to discount the validity of what he was saying just because of where he said it.

The fact is, Ten Hag used yesterdays game to say that having everyone fit, the game showed “what the team was capable of”, and that they were finally able to “play football they way we wanted to”. Well I bloody well hope not. What it showed, if anything was that with everyone fit he was capable of putting a game plan together that could produce a result, but the way we played and how we got that result was surely, surely, not indicative of the type of football we want to play.

This is apparently also a manager that can only produce when all his players are fit - if you listen to him - and can only produce when Martinez is fit - if you listen to the Caf - which is another huge red flag. A good manager has to be able to produce at least a competent performance during an injury crisis, even if no one is expecting you to perform at your best.

It’s also worth remembering, and I pointed this out earlier, to which no one had a reply, but at the start of the season - his second season - we lost 6 of our first 10 games with a nearly full fit squad. That kind of horrendous loss rate continued throughout the season, and was later explained away by some as the result of an injury crisis, but we came out the gate this season losing every other game. Spurs, Arsenal. Bayern, Palace, Brighton and Galatasaray, all turned us over in the first 10 games. We scored 15 and conceded 18 in that period. That run of 4 wins and 6 losses in the first ten games also included the opening day 1-0 over Wolves, where they tore us to pieces and had a stonewall penalty not given, and a very lucky 3-2 win over ten man Forest. So it could have been even worse.

Our form had been dismal since the Carabao cup final win last season, and has stayed pretty consistently poor regardless of personnel.

I think a lot of people, myself certainly, would be happy to give him another season if there were signs of actual progression in the team. There were a fair few people at the end of last season who were ringing alarms bells and saying he was shit, and I very vigorously defended him. I saw enough last season to see he had us moving in the right direction, and put the late season slump down to fatigue. Fatigue from competing on so many fronts (a consequence of success). But we came out of the gates this season looking completely clueless and disorganised with a non-sensical tactical approach. Almost every fan on this forum has been screaming for nearly the entire season about the absurdity of our midfield set up. Yet we win the FA cup with a park the bus performance, and suddenly people are all “give him time”.

I’d LOVE to give him time, IF he had shown any signs this season that he was building something, that he was moving us towards a clear style of play. But he simply hasn’t. He’s persisted with a baffling non-midfield set up, resulting in a record amount of goals and shots on goal conceded, as well as our lowest ever PL finish; and then in the final weeks of the season abandoned that approach for an ultra conservative 4-2-4-0 to win a cup. So what the giddy feck is the plan for next season? Park the bus? Back to tactical seppuku? Something new we haven’t seen yet, meaning we’ve built no foundation over his first two years? No, I’m sorry, but whichever way I shake it, he just doesn’t cut the mustard. He’s developed nothing in the last two years that can be built on. We are basically starting from scratch next season, with or without him, because there is nothing about the way we’ve set up this season that is even remotely usable for next season. That is damning.

The two things I will give him credit for, because a bad manager can do good things, is his consistent commitment to bringing through youth players in a meaningful way (vital for a United manager), and the way he’s handled disciplinary issues - which I fundamentally agree with. The problem is, if you are going to rule with an iron fist - especially in modern football where players are all over paid prima Donna’s - you have to back it up by being successful on the pitch. Otherwise it just doesn’t work.
Great post, and I agree with pretty much everything there.

Quite a few things went against ETH this season which he probably had no control over, and that does have to be taken into account when judging how he did this season (and more importantly whether to give him another season). However there were also things which he was completely in control of, and as such he has to take blame for those. I find it quite naïve when people want to wash all the issues that went on this season under the banner of 'injuries'.

Ultimately, this is how I see it:
  • I can overlook the failure of his transfers. Even though yes he did want control, ultimately he shouldn't be doing it and (more importantly) won't be doing it in the future. As such, that questionable ability will no longer be an issue going forward so it's not something that comes into the equation for me. It's an issue in the past, not for the future.
  • During most of the offseason he probably expected to have Greenwood back, and of course nobody expected the Sancho situation. I do accept that there's a chance that ETH was unfair to Sancho in a way that we don't know about, but odds are that it happened as reported. Sancho didn't train well, ETH mentioned it when asked about his absence (which I've got no problem with), Sancho reacted incredibly badly and then continued to be extremely unprofessional. As such, I won't hold that situation against ETH unless it comes out that there was more going on behind the scenes. So losing those two players, along with Martial's inability to stay fit, was always going to have an impact since we were low on bodies in attack.
  • We obviously had a significant amount of injuries this season, and that does have to be taken into account when judging our performances and results. It always meant that we wouldn't have been as good this season as we wanted to be. I do wonder whether his tactics and/or training methods are a contributing factor to the injures, but it's not something I'm confident about so I won't hold it against him
  • He changed to a new tactical system this season, and that always can have a short-term drop-off. Mistakes can happen as we get used to it, players might not be suitable, it can result in muscular injures if changing to a style that requires more high-tempo running, etc. That's all fine and expected if you can see the long-term benefits of sticking with it. The obvious example is the first 18 months when Klopp joined Liverpool.
So all of that does have to be taken into account. We were always up against it this season.

However it doesn't excuse just how bad we actually were. We weren't just inconsistent with some good performances and some bad performances. It wasn't just a case of individual mistakes by players that either weren't suitable or were learning to play a new way. What we saw, right from preseason up until ETH abandoned it for the last four games of the season, was a complete failure of the system. We spent the entire season looking like the worst coached team in the league, with a complete inability to control things even against relegated and Championship level teams. Playing so incredibly open, a deep defence with the attackers pushing high, leaving one midfielder by themselves to cover all that space in between...it just didn't make sense. But it was clear right from preseason that this was exactly how ETH was intending to play. We then saw in the last four games that we always had the option to play more compactly, and the instant we did (despite having even more injuries than we had at any other stage of the season) we looked better and got results.

As such, we have to ask ourselves two questions. Firstly, could this system have worked if we didn't have so many injuries (or just bought better players)? The answer is no. Leaving that huge amount of open space in the middle of the field is something which would never have been successful, let alone in the modern game. It fundamentally goes against everything that modern football has moved towards which is about compacting things as much as possible when the opposition have the ball, whether that is sitting deep or pressing high. It has to be done as a unit, and take the good with the bad as it develops.

The second question is whether sticking with it will at least develop patterns of play or skills which will be beneficial in the long-term. And as far as I can see the answer to that is almost exclusively no. If the idea is that we'll push the defence up in the future when we have more suitable defenders, then obviously this seasons style hasn't helped any defenders who remain to get used to it. The midfielders have spent the entire season playing chaos-ball, trying to fight fires all over the place and getting completely over-run. Then because of that, the attackers have had poor service and no attacking patterns of play, so they've got no benefit either. Some people say that pressing high with them is developing them in that sense, but I disagree. Pressing isn't just about telling your attackers to rush up and try to win the ball, which is what we've been doing this season. Pressing requires a full team effort where everybody works as a unit, using pressing traps and triggers. Doing it at the wrong time or in a individualistic way will create more negatives than positives, which is exactly what we've seen all season. The only thing we've been developing are bad habits.

The few positives we've had this season have been Dalot's development both on the individual level and learning when to invert and help out midfield, and the young kids playing quite a bit. But all of could have happened in a more sensible system as we've seen in the last four games of the season, and indeed that would have been better for them and provided them a more stable base to develop in.

So while ETH has plenty of fair excuses for things not going as we wanted, he still failed spectacularly at the things that he could control. So if it were up to me I would thank him for the last two years but move him on for someone else. The only possible exception is if INEOS and the new structure think ETH has actually been doing a lot of good things behind the scenes that will stand us in good stead in the future. I highly doubt it as we're not seeing any sign of that whatsoever, but if INEOS do keep him then that will be the thing I'm hoping for.

Last edited:
Why would we be looking to replace a manager now that Ten Hag proved he can beat Man City in a cup final? They are the yard stick.

If another manager was to come in and not win the FA cup or more in their first season the fans wouldn't forgive the Glazers/INEOS.

The squad I think the new structure should give Ten Hag for next season is:

Garnacho Hojlund Greenwood
New experienced LW, New ST, Amad

Bruno
Mount

New CDM Mainoo
Amrabat New CM

New LB
Martinez New RCB Dalot
Shaw New LCB Lindelof. AWB

Onana
Altay

22 man squad.
7 new signings including 4 squad players

Selling Rashford, Sancho, Casemiro, Eriksen, Maguire.

Releasing Martial, Varane, Heaton

Backups of Forson, McTominay, Malacia, Evans, Kambwala and Antony if we can't sell him.

No1 can tell me this isn't possible for INEOS. We're in Europa and didn't spend a thing in January either.

We could quite easily recoup £175m from the 5 sales. Rashford 80, Sancho 40, Casemiro 20, Eriksen 5 and Maguire 30.

We are talking about Manchester United still right? :lol:

RedCafe might be the only place where I see lots of people that want Ten Hag out. Everywhere else I look, match going fans included, vast majority want him to stay.

RedCafe might be the only place where I see lots of people that want Ten Hag out. Everywhere else I look, match going fans included, vast majority want him to stay.

True. I want him to stay as well. Why get another manager and start the damn process again. He gave us garnacho and kobbie. Let him have a season with a fit squad and then let's judge him.

He keeps getting us trophies as well. I honestly don't see the problem.

Clearly this is a place for sensible reason. What you’ll find is the majority of people follow the crowd. It won’t take much after he is sacked for everyone to remember all the negatives of this season and the manager. But for now the high of the cup win has clouded emotions. Fair play to Ineos for just riding this out. But I hope/expect a swift response before the end of this week.

That'll do pig.

Remember one of the big issues is injuries, now if they get rid of ETH and we still have issues that way the new manager will still have problems. I hope they are looking closely into that. Is it the training, is it the medical side or as Rooney hinted we have too many players who will not play with slight niggles.

Last seasons Premier League and Champions League campaigns were inexcusable, by every metric. Have our standards sunk so low that recording breakingly bad seasons are rewarded with another season?

No-one in their right mind can watch those Brentford and Palace games (or 95% of our games this season) and think he’s the answer to our problems.

I also find it amazing how people have suddenly glossed over his comments regarding how Ajax dealt with Overmars because we won the cup. It’s all forgotten about all of a sudden.

Sick of his excuses. A tragic manager, and one game against City doesn’t change that. Get him out.

I am neither ETH in or out. There are valid arguments on both sides

We won the FA cup and injuries didn't help. On top of that ETH did bring in some great youths to first team (Garnacho and Mainoo) and he helped bringing in some discipline back to the side. On the flip side keeping players fit is also part of the manager's job and ending 8th place with a negative goal difference is tragic. One game shouldn't save a manager's career especially since we utilized a style of game (counter attacking football) which we were always good irrespective of ETH. Then there are issues ETH had struggled with like for example

- tackling big names without ending into a drama (Ronaldo, Sancho, Rashford and at a lesser extent Maguire and Varane)
- showing favoritism to his own signings
- insisting on playing two no 10s alongside an ageing Casemiro who is, in my opinion, ridiculous.

So I am taking a back seat here and I hope that we've got good football people that can take the decision on our behalf. It's a shame that Ashworth and Berrada aren't at the club

Remember one of the big issues is injuries, now if they get rid of ETH and we still have issues that way the new manager will still have problems. I hope they are looking closely into that. Is it the training, is it the medical side or as Rooney hinted we have too many players who will not play with slight niggles.

fitness is a complex issue. Part of it can be attributed to the medical team, part of it to the players (ETH signed some of them including the vanishing man Malacia) and part of it is down to training that the manager is responsible off

Let's see what the new people in charge have in their lockers.

Lets hope so mate.

But other than that you are spot on with the outgoings, agree 110%.

The players i want in are:

LB - Maatsen (release clause)
New creative winger - Olise
Striker - Guirassy (cheap&experienced)
RCB - Todibo
CB Backup - Tosin (free)
CDM - Scalvini
CM - Joao Neves or Wirtz

Ten hag has taken us through an incredibly challenging season with grace, humility, and professionalism. He has had to handle the antics of players like Sancho and Rashford, as well as coping with a number of injuries to key players such as Shaw, Mount, Martinez, Varane and Casemiro. Moreover, he has had to endure relentless media scrutiny and constant calls for his dismissal. Despite all this, he has delivered two trophies in two seasons, against the best and most dominant team in the world currently.

Yet the media still comes for him and doesn't recognise his achievements. How much more obvious is it that they're terrified he will bring United back to the top for decades to come? The club would be wise to show patience with Ten Hag. Consider Arteta's situation. Ten Hag needs time to implement his vision and establish a sustainable winning philosophy. He is the ideal coach for the current squad, with the potential to build around key players like Bruno, Kobbie, and Garnacho. Replacing him would mean starting from scratch once again, disrupting the progress made under his leadership. Ten Hag is a proven top manager, and if INEOS were to make the regrettable decision to sack him, they would undoubtedly rue it in the long run.

I am neither ETH in or out. There are valid arguments on both sides

We won the FA cup and injuries didn't help. On top of that ETH did bring in some great youths to first team (Garnacho and Mainoo) and he helped bringing in some discipline back to the side. On the flip side keeping players fit is also part of the manager's job and ending 8th place with a negative goal difference is tragic. One game shouldn't save a manager's career especially since we utilized a style of game (counter attacking football) which we were always good irrespective of ETH. Then there are issues ETH had struggled with like for example

- tackling big names without ending into a drama (Ronaldo, Sancho, Rashford and at a lesser extent Maguire and Varane)
- showing favoritism to his own signings
- insisting on playing two no 10s alongside an ageing Casemiro who is, in my opinion, ridiculous.

So I am taking a back seat here and I hope that we've got good football people that can take the decision on our behalf. It's a shame that Ashworth and Berrada aren't at the club
I'm in the ETH out camp and personally I think he's handled these situations well.

As much as I think showing favourtism to his own signings is a criticism, it's something I do understand and is a perfectly human thing to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.