Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was speaking sense after the Cup Final yesterday too. And he's not just a journalist, he's a huge Man Utd fan. He said everything yesterday to ESPN that he's just said there, but also pointed out that for all those saying he should stay after winning the FA Cup, "is this really the style of football and approach that you think is good enough for Man Utd?". United won the game with 27% possession, they played the second half with all their players in their own half, desperately defending in backs to wall stuff. Is that repeatable? Is that the sort of thing you want to see United doing? United should be dominating games, or at least trying too. Playing on the front foot. Fact is that United have had their worst league campaign in something like 34 years, and yes you can point to injuries, but the tactical decisions, and the way the team has been set up is almost independent of injuries. There was just a sense of chaos, of no-one knowing what they were supposed to be doing, and United suffered a record number of defeats. Now they've won the FA Cup, but they've done it by essentially playing park the bus football and hardly getting out of their own half. It's a nice victory for the club today, but it's not a brand of football or a basis on which you can build a winning team moving forwards. So I don't think there's any sense from people in the know, that anyone feels Ten Hag is the man to carry the club forwards.

Those are his words paraphrased. And I have to agree with all of it.
He's absolutely spot on

yeah I think the main issue is the setup, that much is clear, and that's why I think we need to move on. To persist with it for so long is/was a clear mistake. The PL adapted to his tactics and he just stayed put.

must be incredibly demotivating for a player to have to keep playing when it obviously isn't working, and you're getting battered by the likes of Brentford, losing 7-0 etc..

we've started so many games this season where it looks like the entire team just don't give a feck I'm surprised anyone could think motivation isn't an issue

I haven't seen that in the main, especially in midfield he was giving players an impossible amount of space to cover, 1 pass was leaving 50 yards of space between attack and defense. A great example of this is the cup game against Liverpool, Utd started quite well, put a huge amount of running into the 30 mins, constant high intensity sprints, then fell off a cliff for the next 40 mins of the game because they just blew up, Liverpool dominated and wasted a ton of transition chances with terrible execution, game should have been long over before Utd started to recover and get some energy back.

That has happened all season, shape of the team being a mess was just giving the players no chance, exposing all their weaknesses. Ten Hag was setting up a shape that required huge mobility, running power, pace with midfield options like Casemiro, Eriksen, Amrabat and Mainoo(brilliant but not an athlete at this stage) all of whom he brought in or through, with guys like Maguire and Evans behind.

None of it made sense or suited the players he had available.

If we're letting ten Hag leave, I'd prefer McKenna and a project. Or another coach looking to make the big step up. Has Zerbini been sorted?

Lauri Whitwell said one of the negotiating points between Ineos and ten hag this season was a request to hire a young English assistant with premier league experience but he didn’t want to do it out of loyalty to Van der Gaag. So there was a push for McLaren to be more assertive in his role and they wonder how much of the impetus to change the tactics in the final month come down to that.

So a way to find a compromise might also be to shake up his back room staff.
Not surprised to read this especially the bolded part.

Ineos have boxed themselves into a corner to sack him anyway.

Imagine tapping up replacements, their plans getting leaked, having the whole world know they planned to sack him. Then 180 on that decision due to mindless sentiment. Then he goes on to fail next season and they have to sack him anyway, but have missed out on their managerial target.

They'd look so stupid it wouldn't be recoverable. Worse than anything Woodward had done.

He was speaking sense after the Cup Final yesterday too. And he's not just a journalist, he's a huge Man Utd fan. He said everything yesterday to ESPN that he's just said there, but also pointed out that for all those saying he should stay after winning the FA Cup, "is this really the style of football and approach that you think is good enough for Man Utd?". United won the game with 27% possession, they played the second half with all their players in their own half, desperately defending in backs to wall stuff. Is that repeatable? Is that the sort of thing you want to see United doing? United should be dominating games, or at least trying too. Playing on the front foot. Fact is that United have had their worst league campaign in something like 34 years, and yes you can point to injuries, but the tactical decisions, and the way the team has been set up is almost independent of injuries. There was just a sense of chaos, of no-one knowing what they were supposed to be doing, and United suffered a record number of defeats. Now they've won the FA Cup, but they've done it by essentially playing park the bus football and hardly getting out of their own half. It's a nice victory for the club today, but it's not a brand of football or a basis on which you can build a winning team moving forwards. So I don't think there's any sense from people in the know, that anyone feels Ten Hag is the man to carry the club forwards.

This is exactly my point highlighted in previous posts, Ole was in the same position he couldn't shake off the counter attack from the team, Erik spent all season attempting to modify it but he failed to make acute adjustments when the team was consistently being overrun in the midfield.

The good dimension about INEOS is they are business orientated so will read in-between the lines. The sentimental fan reacts emotionally but as I have mentioned it's how do United move forward as a collective? saying we will sign better players or there's a different structure doesn't change the instructions on the pitch, we have to critically assess and dissect the season to come up with solutions.

A cup win doesn't gloss over context.

I think it's based on the fact that he was a goner before the game. All the journalists were reporting that he was getting the sack. It wouldn't be the first time we kneejerk and abandon a plan though. What would make it worse is that we've apparently been reviewing this for weeks now, so to abandon it all after one game? It's not a good look if that is the case.
It’s all conjecture though. We don’t know any of this definitively. All we know for sure is that the board will perform a season review (rightly so) and they have explored other candidates (again common sense). I don’t necessarily think that means they ever committed to letting him go until due process has been conducted. Regardless of what some are saying, it Is more than just one game. It’s another trophy and perhaps more importantly European football now.

Ineos have boxed themselves into a corner to sack him anyway.

Imagine tapping up replacements, their plans getting leaked, having the whole world know they planned to sack him. Then 180 on that decision due to mindless sentiment. Then he goes on to fail next season and they have to sack him anyway, but have missed out on their managerial target.

They'd look so stupid it wouldn't be recoverable. Worse than anything Woodward had done.
Let's hope these apparent experts they've hired aren't advising them to listen to what Mark Goldbridge and Redcafe have to say then.

I'm mostly seeing "if we do sack him now it's a disgrace" kind of posts? If the club do believe he's the best man for the job then fair enough. If they made that decision based on one cup game then it would be the same thing as when we gave Ole permanent job. We do know pretty much for a fact that we've approached other managers so we know they were at least thinking of letting him go as recent as a few days ago.
I don’t think approaching managers is anything other than part of the process. We’d be stupid not to at least be asking around. Personally I think the vast majority of people have said the opposite, he can’t really complain too much if he’s sacked based on the league performances, however I personally will be gutted.

So many of us have done the logical postings. I have written near essays on here about why it would be a terrible idea to keep him. Broken it down using data, facts, and calm dispassionate thinking. One rarely gets a response to a lengthy and well thought out post like that. Mainly because when presented with the full gamut of reasoning behind his dismissal, it is very hard to argue against. Yet, short, off the cuff comments like the ones you've cited, get used of evidence of emotional reactionary thinking. I wouldn't even bother posting short, succinct takes like that, if I ever got a response to longer, more detailed orientated ones. To be frank, almost all the emotional, reactionary responses to his potential firing, have been from people frothing at the mouth about the need to keep him because of an underdog/minnows, backs to the wall, FA cup final victory.
I’ve said myself for ages I don’t have a problem with people wanting a change, after a season as poor as this one it’s vital you have due processes in place. Personally I hope they judge him to have done enough because I still think he’s a very good coach and he’s had some rough hands this season. All of that said, what irks me the most is this holier than thou attitude some people have that if you dare to back the manager you’re somehow an idiot, or putting managers on a pedestal. It’s just nonsense, I just happen to rate him differently to others and that’s all there is too it really.

I don't agree. Ten Haag built a great footballing side with Ajax whereas Ole never had the experience or knowhow to do so.

The issue is the players are good enough to be a possession dominant side. Our best players suit a more counter attacking style and a new manager won't change that. We need better players on the ball first.
This is a blatantly obvious point. All the fuss about ETH avoids scrutiny on the transfer strategy. The DOF delay might make a big difference. Balance of power and influence at the decision making stage would be different of all these elements were integrated,

I haven't seen that in the main, especially in midfield he was giving players an impossible amount of space to cover, 1 pass was leaving 50 yards of space between attack and defense. A great example of this is the cup game against Liverpool, Utd started quite well, put a huge amount of running into the 30 mins, constant high intensity sprints, then fell off a cliff for the next 40 mins of the game because they just blew up, Liverpool dominated and wasted a ton of transition chances with terrible execution, game should have been long over before Utd started to recover and get some energy back.

That has happened all season, shape of the team being a mess was just giving the players no chance, exposing all their weaknesses. Ten Hag was setting up a shape that required huge mobility, running power, pace with midfield options like Casemiro, Eriksen, Amrabat and Mainoo(brilliant but not an athlete at this stage) all of whom he brought in or through, with guys like Maguire and Evans behind.

None of it made sense or suited the players he had available.

yeah I agree with you

he had his tactics, they clearly weren't working with these players but persisted with it for way too long

the PL is going to eat you alive with that approach

if you have injuries, you adapt and play a different style to get the best out of what you have. Not just keep getting cnuting all season then blame injuries at the end.

As far as I can see the emotional ranting is coming from people desperate for Ineos to change their mind and keep him, based off a single match.

Pretty sure most of us are rational enough to see the reality of the situation. Ineos have made up their mind and Ten Hag is going. Which is exactly how it should play out. We need decisive owners with a long term vision, not emotional knee jerkers.
Agree with your second paragraph that’s exactly what we need. Doesn’t mean I won’t disagree and be disappointed with the decision if he’s sacked, but I’ll also give INEOs the benefit of the doubt if they can get in a superior manager.

So not the same situation after all. Thanks for the confirmation

You seem to have missed the point of the comparison. Yes, he wasn’t sacked after the FA cup wins, only being sacked much later after not doing well enough in the league - ultimately being deemed not the right man for the job despite his cup wins.

But that still reveals a very obvious parallel with Ten Hag right now in that the club again faces a decision on whether domestic cup wins are enough to keep retain a manager despite disappointing league performances, or whether they persevere with him in the hopes things improve in the league, with the risk being having to sack him mid season if things don’t improve.

Ultimately both scenarios come down to the question of whether domestic cup wins are enough to compensate for poor league campaigns, and whether it makes more sense to bring in a new manager in the summer or risk having to do it mid season. Just because they did the latter with Atkinson does not necessarily mean that’s the right call now.

If we're letting ten Hag leave, I'd prefer McKenna and a project. Or another coach looking to make the big step up. Has Zerbini been sorted?

Agreed, back to back promotions and if he gets top four / fith with some new recruits and forms a respectable playing identity it's a good basis to build from.

I think there's a real opportunity with these young managers, Eddie Howe for me is a good defensive lineup away from challenging for the league when you consider Newcastle's xG for the season and their defense in the last campaign.

The era of football being determined by the managers CV is beginning to diminish it's the data that creates optimism and hope that club's are beginning to latch on to.

He was speaking sense after the Cup Final yesterday too. And he's not just a journalist, he's a huge Man Utd fan. He said everything yesterday to ESPN that he's just said there, but also pointed out that for all those saying he should stay after winning the FA Cup, "is this really the style of football and approach that you think is good enough for Man Utd?". United won the game with 27% possession, they played the second half with all their players in their own half, desperately defending in backs to wall stuff.

the-sun-22-23-match-stats-6d602e90-d5fd-47da-92fd-db410d20747d.png

This is how Real Madrid qualified against Man city ( the biggest club in the world you know), they did what united did for not 1 half, but 4 halves. Donkeys like Ogden "armchair experts" are not worth listening to.

Last edited:
I think he should stay with modifications to his role, but will 100% understand if he goes also. But would not enjoy us getting a Potter or a Southgate to replace. McKenna on a project or De Zerbi on a project would be exciting. Tuchel would have us playing but at same time burn bridges and be controversial and demanding.

If ETH can adapt and change some of his ways I think it can work. He would have to let recruitment go out of his hands, but realistically still think he is goner. The negative GD is just too shocking to handle, he should have hardened the mid a lot sooner than a FA final and grind results but decided to be stubborn and fundamentalistic.

The average IQ for those employed at ESPN leaves a lot to be desired. They've been banging the same drum consistently during the good times and the bad times. You say elsewhere that those that want him out are the logical posters and everything else is based on emotions, which, no disrespect intended, is rubbish. There's quite a lot of in-between there. I'm not avidly in his camp, but I lean more towards keeping him on, and definitely if the alternative is Tuchel or Poch (McKenna excites me though). I see serious flaws in our midfield setup from February-April mainly, but it was a risky approach he took to play the percentages of forcing turnovers in the attacking third. Needless to say, it didn't work. And he took a long while to change tack. My two biggest gripes with him are his reluctance to give some younger player chances (Mejbri, Fernandez, Amad) and his dealing with the media saying throughout "we're Man Utd and we have to win every game" even when the house was on fire. It's placing even more expectation upon a squad - that this season - was not close to top level. He may have thought that was the way to increase the standards, but I've said elsewhere, that should be kept in-house.

In terms of transfers he's got a very mixed record. Not all terrible like some have us believe, and not stellar either. Something that I have no worries about now that Ashworth and co will be in situ. I think Onana has completely changed our buildup play but we are completely reliant upon Martinez, and to a lesser degree, Luke Shaw. Without them two we've had players with a very low technical level which has almost negated the positives Onana brings (first half of the season was alarming, but I think he'll come good).

When people say "yeah they won, but that's not how they want to win" I think that's about as lacking in context as it possibly can be. Not logical in the slightest. Do they imagine that in the course of two years we are supposed to be playing City level football and go toe to toe with them? A team that's spent a decade getting to this level? I think because of their stance all along they are incapable of saying "fair play, outstanding tactical work and execution" which unbiased people can say. Everyone knows that this is not where we ultimately want to be, but it takes time, it takes squad building, and yes, it also requires the availability of key players, especially when a few of them are absolutely fundamental to our style of play.

The average IQ for those employed at ESPN leaves a lot to be desired. They've been banging the same drum consistently during the good times and the bad times. You say elsewhere that those that want him out are the logical posters and everything else is based on emotions, which, no disrespect intended, is rubbish. There's quite a lot of in-between there. I'm not avidly in his camp, but I lean more towards keeping him on, and definitely if the alternative is Tuchel or Poch (McKenna excites me though). I see serious flaws in our midfield setup from February-April mainly, but it was a risky approach he took to play the percentages of forcing turnovers in the attacking third. Needless to say, it didn't work. And he took a long while to change tack. My two biggest gripes with him are his reluctance to give some younger player chances (Mejbri, Fernandez, Amad) and his dealing with the media saying throughout "we're Man Utd and we have to win every game" even when the house was on fire. It's placing even more expectation upon a squad - that this season - was not close to top level. He may have thought that was the way to increase the standards, but I've said elsewhere, that should be kept in-house.

In terms of transfers he's got a very mixed record. Not all terrible like some have us believe, and not stellar either. Something that I have no worries about now that Ashworth and co will be in situ. I think Onana has completely changed our buildup play but we are completely reliant upon Martinez, and to a lesser degree, Luke Shaw. Without them two we've had players with a very low technical level which has almost negated the positives Onana brings (first half of the season was alarming, but I think he'll come good).

When people say "yeah they won, but that's not how they want to win" I think that's about as lacking in context as it possibly can be. Not logical in the slightest. Do they imagine that in the course of two years we are supposed to be playing City level football and go toe to toe with them? A team that's spent a decade getting to this level? I think because of their stance all along they are incapable of saying "fair play, outstanding tactical work and execution" which unbiased people can say. Everyone knows that this is not where we ultimately want to be, but it takes time, it takes squad building, and yes, it also requires the availability of key players, especially when a few of them are absolutely fundamental to our style of play.

His posts are dripping in self adulation :lol:

Lauri Whitwell said one of the negotiating points between Ineos and ten hag this season was a request to hire a young English assistant with premier league experience but he didn’t want to do it out of loyalty to Van der Gaag. So there was a push for McLaren to be more assertive in his role and they wonder how much of the impetus to change the tactics in the final month come down to that.

So a way to find a compromise might also be to shake up his back room staff.
Bet he did it with a Dutch accent.

the-sun-22-23-match-stats-6d602e90-d5fd-47da-92fd-db410d20747d.png

This is how Real Madrid qualified against Man city ( the biggest club in the world you know), they did what united did for not 1 half, but 4 halves. Donkeys like Ogden "armchair experts" are not worth listening two.
This has always been how you qualify vs Pep in a cup since Barca days too. Destructive high octane countering football, ideally with a high but not suicidal line and fast counters, fast defenders and tons off destructive mid workhorses to block their playmaking ability. It's common knowledge in 2024. I'm very surprised EtH abandoned his suicidal principals to do it. Makes me all the more perplexed why we didn't harden the mid much sooner to get a top 4.

It's small things though. If Solskjaer won the Europa league final (a match we were the better team I'd argue) does he keep his job? I think yes.
?? United finished 2nd with Ole the season we lost that final. He was fired for a horrible first third of the season after, Europa league had nothing to do with it.

You seem to have missed the point of the comparison. Yes, he wasn’t sacked after the FA cup wins, only being sacked much later after not doing well enough in the league - ultimately being deemed not the right man for the job despite his cup wins.

But that still reveals a very obvious parallel with Ten Hag right now in that the club again faces a decision on whether domestic cup wins are enough to keep retain a manager despite disappointing league performances, or whether they persevere with him in the hopes things improve in the league, with the risk being having to sack him mid season if things don’t improve.

Ultimately both scenarios come down to the question of whether domestic cup wins are enough to compensate for poor league campaigns, and whether it makes more sense to bring in a new manager in the summer or risk having to do it mid season. Just because they did the latter with Atkinson does not necessarily mean that’s the right call now.

I understand very well what you want to compare, but it's false equivalence. They are not comparable at all. Ron had been at the club for 5 years, Eric 2. Ron was sacked because we were near relegation after 3rd of the season gone, Eric has never been in relegation zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.