Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Manchester United boss Erik ten Hag speaking to BBC Match of the Day: "We have to give credit to Newcastle, they played better than us tonight. We started well, had a chance with Garnacho, but then after that they were better.

"For a long period they were better than us, and we went 1-0 down. To be fair at the end of the game we came back and had some good opportunities. Reguilon, very good chance. The offside goal. So yes in the end we fought back but we need to do this over a whole game.

On workrate of the team tonight: "You could say we defended quite well [as per the statistics], but I prefer for us to stay further away from our goal. I'd prefer us to have more of the ball and play in their half. We had our moments where we could make good movements but it was not enough. We need to be more dominant in a game.

On uncertainty between goalkeeper and defence: "In the start there were a few situations, but they picked it up and it worked well.

On travel issues before the game: "You have to deal with that, it can never be an excuse."

Keeps spouting the same shite as if nothing actually depends on him.

Ten Hag is starting to make really strange decisions, which are going to get him sacked if he isn't careful. Tonight's tactics were by pass midfield and go long to McTominay. It didn't work, at all. McTominay being there altered the entire structure of midfield, for the worse, that's on him. He seems to have lost confidence in his ability to get football out of the team. Honestly, if the way we progress the ball is go direct to the big fella, why did we sack Mourinho?

Starting? He has been doing that for the last couple months. Since McTominay scored twice against Brentford on the 7th of October. He has started every League and CL game since, always playing in this more advanced position. That’s 9 games on the trot. He only missed the cup game against Newcastle.

The fact our tactics have devolved to “play McTominay as #10 and hope he nabs a goal”, is a sackable offence on its own.

In the summer, we needed a top striker and a good defensive midfielder to help/replace/sub Casemiro.

We got Hojlund who is only 20 and can't score, and Mount who is not a defensive midfielder and basically has no role in this team. The result is that we can't score, and our midfield is constantly being overrun. Injuries, or no injuries, these two problems were present last year, and he did nothing to solve them.

I don't know what ETH had in his mind, but his transfers have been atrocious and it is one of the main reasons he will be shacked.

Of course, this may also be an indication he doesn't know what he is doing. Everybody was asking "where will the goals come from?". I'd like to hear what ETH was thinking about this.

As an outsider, it is really strange that teams like Newcastle which was just an average team until a couple of years ago finds a new identity right after the money begins to flow and consistently produces great performances right-away, and United struggling despite all these expensive players, new managers etc. after SAF.

Initially, I was thinking this was mostly a managerial fit issue, but I feel the problem may not be about the manager or even the owner, it's quite a puzzle to be honest, nothing seems to be working... even the young stars that United brought, Sancho vs Bellingham vs Haaland, all were promising stars, but only one failed badly. It is impossible to be that unlucky, really looks like a big puzzle with many moving parts.

On workrate of the team tonight: "You could say we defended quite well [as per the statistics], but I prefer for us to stay further away from our goal. I'd prefer us to have more of the ball and play in their half. We had our moments where we could make good movements but it was not enough. We need to be more dominant in a game.
If you want us to keep more of the ball and stay higher up the pitch, maybe play with midfielders that like to keep the ball...and if you want a highline maybe also play players suited to a highline. Unacceptable.

I think we've overrated this guy, it appears he had a purple patch of players at Ajax and he's been vastly overrated. His signings, his tactics, the whole set up is no different to Ole.

Yep. All his Ajax spell showed us was that he was a promising manager at best who may have gone up a level if he was in a top club and his time here so far has only dispelled the "promising" aspect and showed he's not up to the task.

The only difference is the players don't walk all over him like they did with Ole. He must be thankful he didn't have to deal with Lingard or Pogba, that would have sent him into meltdown.

At least Ole could handle personalities like that. Erik would have shipped off anyone who didn't want to become his yes-man. This approach works when you're Pep or Sir Alex but you're not going to earn anyone's respect when you do it as an unproven manager.

Funny how the only way Rashford can see himself dropped is being late for a team bus or throwing a birthday party. It’s like The Disciplinarian genuinely cares more about that than on the pitch effort and performance.

Yeah at that time it was obvious that setup wouldn’t win things - it was basically two separate teams on the pitch given how little tracking back Rashford/Greenwood did - but at least there was an offensive threat. Then players like AWB, Maguire, Fred make a lot of sense as their role is so basic. Let’s not rewrite history, we were still crap to watch but there’s be breakaway goals to cheer and bangers from the wide men.

We do need to transition away from that though and that means so many players leaving. It will take time but if we don’t modernise we will slide down the league more and more. Issue now is we don’t have offensive threat at all.

The revisionism over that post lockdown spell is hilarious. We were a disjointed mess literally relying on the front 3 to do something or Bruno to put away one of the million penalties that we got. It was a bit of fun in a crazy time for everyone, but nah, it was unsustainable and sloppy.

Last edited:
Starting? He has been doing that for the last couple months. Since McTominay scored twice against Brentford on the 7th of October. He has started every League and CL game since, always playing in this more advanced position. That’s 9 games on the trot. He only missed the cup game against Newcastle.

The fact our tactics have devolved to “play McTominay as #10 and hope he nabs a goal”, is a sackable offence on its own.

He's desperate as hell in very ironic way. Once Scott scored 2 goals he put him immediately as a permanent starter and benched his own signing just because in his own mind Scott managed to save his job once so let's try it again every game. It's the biggest proof the guy has no clue and his only target is to survive the next game.

Look at the fecking state of this midfield. How can this manager not see this and address it?

9km9y2c4iy3c1.jpg
Mainoo seems way to high on this.

The revisionism over that post lockdown spell is hilarious. We were a disjointed mess literally relying on the front 3 to do something or Bruno to put away one of the million penalties that we got. It was a bit of fun in a crazy time for everyone, but nah, it was unsuitable and sloppy.
Exactly

"This team is resilient. We have a plan and we keep going. I will talk with my team but we stayed in the game at the end. We had some good chances. We scored a goal, but it was offside so it could have been a draw."

:lol::wenger:

The way he sets up the team is scandalous

Yup, his signings have been generally shite. But, one player that he bought started tonight. That team tonight was a culmination of shite bought from several regimes.

We need to stop letting managers buy whoever the feck they want and actually set up a proper sporting structure.
And 4 of them were on the bench. So that's even worse.

As an outsider, it is really strange that teams like Newcastle which was just an average team finds a new identity right after the new ownership and consistently produces great performances right-away, and United struggling despite all these expensive players, new managers etc. after SAF.

Initially, I was thinking this was mostly a managerial fit issue, but I feel the problem may not be about the manager or even the owner, it's quite a puzzle to be honest, nothing seems to be working... even the young stars that United brought, Sancho vs Bellingham vs Haaland, all were promising stars, but only one failed badly. It is impossible to be that unlucky, really looks like a big puzzle with many moving parts.
Don't think it's that complicated. The lunatics took over the asylum as soon as Ferguson retired, and a toxic culture has been allowed to manifest itself since. Our only chance of escape is for Ratcliffe to clean house and show some leadership and direction to reset it all

But it's become another of those RedCafe myths. I guarantee if some actually went back and watched full games from that era, they would get a serious smack of reality.
I don’t understand if you read my post? Me and the other poster were saying the same thing.

And 4 of them were on the bench. So that's even worse.

For him, sure.

For the fanbase? It's fairly depressing that we literally are starting with players from the Ole, Jose and even the fecking LvG era. Shows the absolute state of how this club has been run.

Whoscored agrees on average position.

According to my eyes too, Mainoo was a bit too high and getting caught out at times. He’s good with the ball in his feet but he needs more positional awareness.

Anyway, the tactics are indeed shite.

He turned out to be the biggest conman in my eyes. Every other manager we hired I knew what they were and expected exactly what they would bring to the table. Whether it was moyes, LVG, Jose or Ole. With this guy, he portrayed to be something else at Ajax, got hired based on that and turned out to be something else.

He was given total control on transfers based on that reputation at Ajax as a modern progressive manager who was just right for Manchester United but he wasted hundreds of millions signing dross after dross when it became clear to everyone as soon as they started playing for us that they weren’t good enough at all even the players he worked with. Now he doesn’t trust them and thinks that they aren’t good enough to start for us.

In fairness, Rashford burst into life quite suddenly at a point last season.

I’m pretty certain history won’t repeat itself, but in the event Rashford comes good, we are a completely different animal.

Reason? The team has been shit for years and relied upon moments in order to be somewhat competitive. Rashford is of course one of those who can deliver those moments with proven history.

Obviously it’s looking increasingly unlikely, but at this point who do you back?

I don’t back anyone that chooses to do nothing but sulk and walk around the pitch, especially not an overrated and overpaid “starboy” that in reality has had about 2 good seasons in his 9 years with us. This isn’t prime CR7 who is in a goal drought we are talking about.

The manager is the one who banished him from the team and refused to let him back unless he gets on his knees and apologizes.

The Ten Hag cultists really think Sancho, a grown man with family responsibilities and the ability to have a career outside United, is going to drastically worsen his own career prospects with a PUBLIC apology to Ten Hag that essentially says “yes, the manager is right, I am not a good professional and I do not put in any effort”.

They expect Sancho to put his career on the line to save the ass of a man who had no need to throw him under the bus in front of the world media, which subsequently exposed him to a social media pile on before the club had to brief journalists with character assassinations on Sancho, when Ten Hag could have kept these concerns private.

Either the Ten Hag cultists are totally deluded or they think that we are still in elementary school. This Sancho issue and its consequences vis-a-vis Ten Hag losing the dressing room would never have happened if Ten Hag kept his mouth shut. But ultimately it’s a good thing it happened. It exposed Ten Hag’s true self - an insecure control-freak hiding behind this disciplinarian persona. First it was Cristiano, then it was Sancho, today it was Martial, and Varane, Rashford and Casimero are all visibly unhappy. He has alienated the whole spine of his team but his cultists think that he is the victim! It makes me laugh.

Not really. It's passing map. So compare to Newcastle midfielder pass receiving and releasing position, it's not different if not to say more conservative. Total football team should have pushed that defensive line higher where passing map/position alone would already indicate control of the game (closer to the half way line), than nearer to their own goal and more involvement with the GK.

Whoscored agrees on average position.

According to my eyes too, Mainoo was a bit too high and getting caught out at times. He’s good with the ball in his feet but he needs more positional awareness.

Anyway, the tactics are indeed shite.

That looks very different to the other one overall. Is the first one average position + passes?

at least Mainoo got more minutes. I would like to see Hannibal and Mainoo paired together.

So ten Hag calls out Sancho for not putting in a shift during training. Fair enough. But then he constantly picks players not putting in the work on the pitch where it matters.

If Ratters does end up getting the gig, I really hope the first thing he does is to reinstate Sancho and Greenwood. Varane will snap soon, if he hasn't already. I can see Casemiro being next, probably Martial and/or Rashford. VdB's already dead. Mount and Hojlund have probably got the rest of this season.

I really thought ten Hag was the guy!

He would not be able sort out the midfield (which is the main issue) , but the attack would be perfectly balanced between Garnacho, Hojlund and himself. Rashford dropped. Casemiro perhaps back until the rest of the season, Martinez back and you have stronger spine to the team. Mount in for added depth in the midfield.

We would look so much better.

That looks very different to the other one overall. Is the first one average position + passes?
This one is more purely positioning aka running with or without the ball. Passing map is solely focused on the passer, and pass receiver average "still" position.

Chelsea (H), Bournemouth (H), Bayern (H), Liverpool (A), West Ham (A), Villa (H), Forest (A).

If we can get positive results in some of these games (like win vs Bournemouth, West Ham, one of Chelsea/Villa, Forest) and not get too much embarrased at Anfield again, then with Martinez, Casemiro, Mount, Eriksen coming back ten Hag may survive. If not, I wouldn't be surprised to see him gone. I hope we won't do too bad over this month, for his and our season's sake.

This one is more purely positioning aka running with or without the ball. Passing map is solely focused on the passer, and pass receiver position.
Yes but how is the position of the player calculated on the passing map? No worries if you don’t know it’s just very different to the average positón map.

Losing faith to be honest.
That passing network map sums it up.
We have no tactical plan in building up from the back through midfield.
Brighton are way ahead of us in that area.

Yes but how is the position of the player calculated on the passing map? No worries if you don’t know it’s just very different to the average positón map.
IIRC, it is taken by the position of every single players. Map out all the position these individuals release the ball. Then average the position. The calculation the volume and direction of the pass, to draw those arrows.

Passing map is good to analyze pattern of passing. Whereas positioning map is better at comparing two teams formation/key tactical exploit. In this example: without even watching the game, this positioning map shows that Garnacho is our only optimal attacking outlet. Shaw was often pulled to the left flank. We're stuck in our half. Whereas Newcastle was be able to to push the defensive line higher up near the half way line, spread and balance their positioning nicely.

Last edited:
Chelsea (H), Bournemouth (H), Bayern (H), Liverpool (A), West Ham (A), Villa (H), Forest (A).

If we can get positive results in some of these games (like win vs Bournemouth, West Ham, one of Chelsea/Villa, Forest) and not get too much embarrased at Anfield again, then with Martinez, Casemiro, Mount, Eriksen coming back ten Hag may survive. If not, I wouldn't be surprised to see him gone. I hope we won't do to bad over this month, for his and our season's sake.

That's the thing isn't it? I can actually see a potential lucky draw against Chelsea, an unconvincing win against Bournemouth and maybe even a draw against a weakened Bayern. But, I suspect performances will remain as bad as they have been.

Every post-Fergie manager always manages to pull a few results out of the bag to just about keep their head above water, until the luck wears off and it all comes crashing down.

Beginning to have major doubts. We are one of the weakest teams in the league, we can't play through midfield and struggle to create chances. Buildup play non-existent, and no fight or intensity in the team. Players can quite literally jog through our midfield and challenge our defenders. Wouldn't be so worrying if our next opponents weren't Chelsea, Liverpool and Bayern. He might actually be gone by January.

It's disheartening to see the calls for his dismissal and the constant demand for immediate success. Let's take a step back and appreciate the journey we're on with him.

Football is a process, and developing a winning team doesn't happen overnight. I believe we should be patient and enjoy the ride rather than succumb to the pressure of wanting instant results. Trusting the process is crucial, especially when it comes to the development of our players.

There seems to be this obsession with winning every game, but is that truly healthy for the growth of our players? We need to recognize that setbacks are a part of the journey, and the focus should be on improvement. Erik ten Hag is working on refining our playing style, and that takes time.

Let's not forget the values that make Manchester United special – a family-oriented club with a rich history. Ten Hag's approach aligns with our core principles, and it's important to maintain that identity. A knee-jerk reaction to every loss doesn't serve the club well.

In the grand scheme of things, success will come, but it's more meaningful when it's achieved through a sustainable and long-term approach. Trust in Erik ten Hag, support our players, and let's remain united in our journey.

Whether we win or lose the next 10 games, it's not the be-all and end-all. What matters most is the progress and development happening under Erik ten Hag.

What progress?? What development??
That’s the biggest issue right now, there isn’t any progress whatsoever. We’re a comfortably worse team this season then last. If we weren’t winning games but a clear playing style was developing, with an obvious end goal in sight, then yes you absolutely want to back the manager to get to that final product. But there isn’t. There’s no style, no pattern, no plan. How can you put faith in a manager who has been unable to put his stamp and authority on a team after 18 months in the job? The only way you can still have faith in ETH is though pure blind optimism. Nothing we are seeing suggests he will eventually get it right. Everything this season from the signings, to the pre-season, to the results to the playing style has been an unmitigated disaster.

Not particularly a Ten Hag issue but we’re now in a position where our 3 best paid (?) players (Rashford/Sancho/Varane) aren’t even first choice in their position.

Such a mess of a squad.

There were a couple of games in the middle of that run where Scott played a bit deeper, but yes the rest of them have been ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.