Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look at the fecking state of this midfield. How can this manager not see this and address it?

9km9y2c4iy3c1.jpg
Because the manager is the one who is telling them to play like that. This isn't players going rogue. It's the same every game, it's been 18 months. This is his direction. This is what he thinks will work.

Why should he ?

Then don't blame the player for sitting at his home and playing video games when it's the manager's decision.

Because he’s the manager of the football club and Sancho threw his toys out of the pram on social media. SAF would have thrown him the door. If you want to publically contradict your manager on social media, you will get disciplined in any form of employment.

Maguire has put up with more shite than him and has continued to act like a professional.

Whether we win or lose the next 10 games, it's not the be-all and end-all. What matters most is the progress and development happening under Erik ten Hag.

Serious question,
What progress or development are you seeing in this team?

Can you name on-field 3 progress, which we can all see and somehow verify.

I could understand if we had spent £40m in the last 2 seasons, but we've not, we've backed every manager going and we've fecked it up. We've had every opportunity to be successful and shite managers have done us over.

I mean Ten Hag has been backed more than anyone we've ever had as well. People can feck off blaming the Glazers for him being a shit coach

The manager should be gone because he's absolutely shite and has no idea what he's doing.

Maybe you're right, maybe they only care about the money at the top, but let me let you in on a little secret, you get way more money if you're successful and win stuff. If you think people at the club don't want to win stuff then we wouldn't have spent £400m in the last 2 seasons trying to do exactly that.

cheers for the advice ffs.

Let me tell yoI this, the glazers don’t give two fecks about winning trophies and making money the hard way.These leeches have sponged off the revenue of the club for 20 years snd the attitude transcends to the shop floor. The club is rotten to the core and that’s because of the glazers only. The commercial value is all that’s matters.

Because he’s the manager of the football club and Sancho threw his toys out of the pram on social media. SAF would have thrown him the door. If you want to publically contradict your manager on social media, you will get disciplined in any form of employment.

Maguire has put up with more shite than him and has continued to act like a professional.

If I feel I'm not wrong at something I most definitely won't apologize.

Also the board needs to systematically assess the 2nd seasons. How is it possible we look so good under Jose, Ole and ETH for many games and suddenly it all goes to shit. Why is it that under every manager we seem to have a number of games where players perform and then it all falls apart. Under one it's just something that happens but under 3 different managers it's a trend. Do we honestly have no data scientists examining this? At this point it isn't a coincidence. At some point it isn't that all these managers are so shit, or the players are only capable of 20 games under a manager before they become shit and a new manager is needed to reset the whole thing. Why is it that we can be very good for 20 games and then shite again until a new manager comes in. Any proper club or business would be working their ass off to figure this out.

The biggest one is why do players come here and instantly start under performing. Why is it we buy so many players who instantly turn shite when they come here? This has happened under every manager, so what is the club doing wrong that allows this happen. I worry that no one at the club is analysing this.
Simple: we haven't looked so good. Some of you guys are rating performances seemingly mostly by results. I don't remember seeing anything like real good football under Mou. But probably there might have been some bounce after being released from LVG. Same a couple seasons later when the team was happy they didn't have to suffer from miserable Mou anymore. The football was good for 10 games or so. When teams still had a go at us while we adapted our gameplan to play exactly for that. And under ETH the football evolution wasn't that big as well. After the first two games ETH seemingly postponed some of his ideas and we became more or less a copy from Oles team with an actual DM, better building from the back but only until the halfway line. From then on, it was Ole ball just as well.

Stop hyping up players and managers, and we don't have to be so dramatic when shit hits the fan at some point.

cheers for the advice ffs.

Let me tell yoI this, the glazers don’t give two fecks about winning trophies and making money the hard way.These leeches have sponged off the revenue of the club for 20 years snd the attitude transcends to the shop floor. The club is rotten to the core and that’s because of the glazers only. The commercial value is all that’s matters.

Yeah none of this affects Ten Hag's ability to coach a defensive structure, you're waffling about an entirely different issue.

I have some sympathy with Ten Hag, we don't have enough footballers to really play out of a press like Newcastle's.
I don't have any sympathy on that front. He's been backed heavily and hand picked his signings since arriving at the club. If he doesn't have the players he needs, it's on him. His boy Antony will be a millstone around the club's neck for years to come, whether Ten Hag stays or goes.

If I feel I'm not wrong at something I most definitely won't apologize.
It doesn't matter what you "feel". Sancho was wrong for publically rowing with his boss. End of discussion. I don't care whose side of the story about him being a lazy tosser you believe (despite all the actual evidence pointing to him being so) - it's not the issue, and not why he's been banished from the squad.

Can't wait to see what he can do with another £400m

Yup, his signings have been generally shite. But, one player that he bought started tonight. That team tonight was a culmination of shite bought from several regimes.

We need to stop letting managers buy whoever the feck they want and actually set up a proper sporting structure.

Simple: we haven't looked so good. Some of you guys are rating performances seemingly mostly by results. I don't remember seeing anything like real good football under Mou. But probably there might have been some bounce after being released from LVG. Same a couple seasons later when the team was happy they didn't have to suffer from miserable Mou anymore. The football was good for 10 games or so. When teams still had a go at us while we adapted our gameplan to play exactly for that. And under ETH the football evolution wasn't that big as well. After the first two games ETH seemingly postponed some of his ideas and we became more or less a copy from Oles team with an actual DM, better building from the back but only until the halfway line. From then on, it was Ole ball just as well.

Stop hyping up players and managers, and we don't have to be so dramatic when shit hits the fan at some point.

Only time I actually thought we played good football was the lockdown restart team in 19-20 with Rashford/Martial/ Greenwood cooking sides. But even then it was never really "structured" per se, it was just those 3 and Pogba/Bruno creating behind them improvising brilliant goals. Which is a viable way to play if the manager can make sure the back end is structurally elite (this is basically how Jose succeeded earlier in his career).

We brought in Ten Hag and I was excited because he coached an Ajax team that had visible patterns in how they built up play and approached games on the front foot. Yet he comes here and instead spouts all his bullshit about "not playing like he did at Ajax" and instead gives us some shittier version of Oleball without the elite attackers and Pogba pulling the strings.

Admittedly he has not a single worldclass player to work with. Like not a single player that played today would be on the field or even bench for your 2008 CL winning team. Standards kept dropping and dropping and none of these players should honestly play for United.

With that being said, he is partly to blame for wanting Antony, Onana etc. in the first place. And even if the players are crap, surely he would need them to operate at their best or better than this. I don’t see any progress.

He seems to have inherited that Ole level of luck by getting results just at the right time so he has some wiggle room. Rinse and repeat.

He's not the right man but he has also been cursed with legendarily lazy attackers.

One he had to exile.

One he was screaming bloody murder at tonight.

And one, well...

Today's football is all about working like dogs. You can't succeed without doing it and we don't/won't do it.

Man Utd manager Erik ten Hag, speaking to TNT Sports: "We had a tough first half and said at half-time we were pleased to be in the game. We had a good comeback in the last part of the game. We will talk tomorrow with the team about it. We go back, we will talk about this and move in to Wednesday."

Biggest concern: "As I said, I will talk with my team. We had some chances. We thought we scored a goal but it was offside. We could have scored."

On Marcus Rashford: "I will talk to him and not the media."

On Bruno Fernandes: "I think everyone has seen what happened. Before that we had a very good break to create a big chance. There was a foul. We will leave that behind us."

On fixture schedule: "This week, it was not in our advantage but we will take it as it is."

On Chelsea on Wednesday: "This team is resilient. We have seen it after City. We had a bad defeat and we stick together. We have a plan and we keep going."
Deer in headlights. Clueless.

Man Utd manager Erik ten Hag, speaking to TNT Sports: "We had a tough first half and said at half-time we were pleased to be in the game. We had a good comeback in the last part of the game. We will talk tomorrow with the team about it. We go back, we will talk about this and move in to Wednesday."

Biggest concern: "As I said, I will talk with my team. We had some chances. We thought we scored a goal but it was offside. We could have scored."

On Marcus Rashford: "I will talk to him and not the media."

On Bruno Fernandes: "I think everyone has seen what happened. Before that we had a very good break to create a big chance. There was a foul. We will leave that behind us."

On fixture schedule: "This week, it was not in our advantage but we will take it as it is."

On Chelsea on Wednesday: "This team is resilient. We have seen it after City. We had a bad defeat and we stick together. We have a plan and we keep going."
About the Bruno being fouled talking point: I think it's also about lacking of in term of coaching and ETH lack of skill in politic play against referees.

We don't foul/break play well enough further away from goal buy time to regroup. Their first goal in League Cup, you would need to question Mount for not making a necessary dirty foul to break up Livramento run (Hannibal was already on yellow) beside a host of issue like Maguire running back alone, Dalot, Casemiro was given license to push up/Mount being the deepest CM...

ETH didn't pressure referee enough. They seem to see him as meek in this aspect, being too used to shithouse managers like Klopp, Pep, Arteta, Conte, Howe... and they push it on us when they can get away. Politely speaking to the press which crowded out by ABU, and oil money love in media angle wouldn't work. Come on

Last edited:
Like with Jose and Ole, it's gotten to the point where I can't bring myself to listen to him anymore.

It baffles the mind how it's possible to make exactly zero progress since two years. Exactly the same shite. And I mean exactly the same. A failure of rare proportions. It defies belief.

Would Ole have won the Dutch league with that Ajax team?

I think we've overrated this guy, it appears he had a purple patch of players at Ajax and he's been vastly overrated. His signings, his tactics, the whole set up is no different to Ole.

The only difference is the players don't walk all over him like they did with Ole. He must be thankful he didn't have to deal with Lingard or Pogba, that would have sent him into meltdown.

I don't get the Rashford situation.

- Does ETH believe he'll suddenly burst to life?
- Does Rashford hold too much power with the owners/pr?
- Does Rashford hold too much power in the dressing room?

Does ETH have blind faith in him or is he scared of him?

Rashford is shit, but it's not just the football. His general attitude on the pitch brings the team down.

It doesn't matter if it's ETH or different manager. A team with Rashford as their star player is going nowhere.

p.s. Jose knew it

I agree with everyone saying that until the glazers are gone nothing will ever get better.

But also, ten hag has asked for what, 5 players, 6 perhaps, and every one of them is bad. Real bad. Worse than what we had bad.

If he stays, they need a director of football who makes personel choices. Ten hag should just ask for a type of player. He should be nowhere near signing them.

I mean he is probably knows he will be sacked soon so why not just enjoy the ride (sink) and get a nice payout

Rashford is shit, but it's not just the football. His general attitude on the pitch brings the team down.

It doesn't matter if it's ETH or different manager. A team with Rashford as their star player is going nowhere.

p.s. Jose knew it

Rashford’s replacements are also shit

Only time I actually thought we played good football was the lockdown restart team in 19-20 with Rashford/Martial/ Greenwood cooking sides. But even then it was never really "structured" per se, it was just those 3 and Pogba/Bruno creating behind them improvising brilliant goals. Which is a viable way to play if the manager can make sure the back end is structurally elite (this is basically how Jose succeeded earlier in his career).

We brought in Ten Hag and I was excited because he coached an Ajax team that had visible patterns in how they built up play and approached games on the front foot. Yet he comes here and instead spouts all his bullshit about "not playing like he did at Ajax" and instead gives us some shittier version of Oleball without the elite attackers and Pogba pulling the strings.
Yep we’ve never got close to that spell since.

I‘m sick of it all being made out to be so complicated. It wasn’t rocket science from a manager getting that team to play well. It was a functioning midfield of actual footballers with a decent level of physicality (Matic/Pogba/Bruno) and some exciting attackers. Why do we now play without a midfield?

There is no cohesion and I don't see it getting any better. We get results against shit teams and keep getting flattened by top teams.

We are just consistently mediocre.

Manchester United boss Erik ten Hag speaking to BBC Match of the Day: "We have to give credit to Newcastle, they played better than us tonight. We started well, had a chance with Garnacho, but then after that they were better.

"For a long period they were better than us, and we went 1-0 down. To be fair at the end of the game we came back and had some good opportunities. Reguilon, very good chance. The offside goal. So yes in the end we fought back but we need to do this over a whole game.

On workrate of the team tonight: "You could say we defended quite well [as per the statistics], but I prefer for us to stay further away from our goal. I'd prefer us to have more of the ball and play in their half. We had our moments where we could make good movements but it was not enough. We need to be more dominant in a game.

On uncertainty between goalkeeper and defence: "In the start there were a few situations, but they picked it up and it worked well.

On travel issues before the game: "You have to deal with that, it can never be an excuse."

Yeah at that time it was obvious that setup wouldn’t win things - it was basically two separate teams on the pitch given how little tracking back Rashford/Greenwood did - but at least there was an offensive threat. Then players like AWB, Maguire, Fred make a lot of sense as their role is so basic. Let’s not rewrite history, we were still crap to watch but there’s be breakaway goals to cheer and bangers from the wide men.

We do need to transition away from that though and that means so many players leaving. It will take time but if we don’t modernise we will slide down the league more and more. Issue now is we don’t have offensive threat at all.

So ten Hag calls out Sancho for not putting in a shift during training. Fair enough. But then he constantly picks players not putting in the work on the pitch where it matters.

If Ratters does end up getting the gig, I really hope the first thing he does is to reinstate Sancho and Greenwood. Varane will snap soon, if he hasn't already. I can see Casemiro being next, probably Martial and/or Rashford. VdB's already dead. Mount and Hojlund have probably got the rest of this season.

I really thought ten Hag was the guy!

So ten Hag calls out Sancho for not putting in a shift during training. Fair enough. But then he constantly picks players not putting in the work on the pitch where it matters.

If Ratters does end up getting the gig, I really hope the first thing he does is to reinstate Sancho and Greenwood. Varane will snap soon, if he hasn't already. I can see Casemiro being next, probably Martial and/or Rashford. VdB's already dead. Mount and Hojlund have probably got the rest of this season.

I really thought ten Hag was the guy!

I thought we wanted the standards to go up?

A meek coward manager with no personality on and off the touchline. Meekly accepts every wrong decision of the referees. Plays the same players with the same tactics which lets him down match after match. No instructions from the sidelines. No leadership from the sidelines. No tactics to change the tide of the match from the sidelines.

Whether we win or lose the next 10 games, it's not the be-all and end-all. What matters most is the progress and development happening under Erik ten Hag.

Is this a wind-up? How are you saying if we lose the next 10 games it doesn't matter? And for what progress? He's already admitted he feels incapable of recreating the style he created at Ajax so we have direct proof that he's purely making it up as he goes a long right now without any sort of solid plan for the future.

p.s. Jose knew it
In fairness, Rashford burst into life quite suddenly at a point last season.

I’m pretty certain history won’t repeat itself, but in the event Rashford comes good, we are a completely different animal.

Reason? The team has been shit for years and relied upon moments in order to be somewhat competitive. Rashford is of course one of those who can deliver those moments with proven history.

Obviously it’s looking increasingly unlikely, but at this point who do you back?

A meek coward manager with no personality on and off the touchline. Meekly accepts every wrong decision of the referees. Plays the same players with the same tactics which lets him down match after match. No instructions from the sidelines. No leadership from the sidelines. No tactics to change the tide of the match from the sidelines.
You could hear him shouting through the game in fairness so that’s not true but selection was wrong and Rashford starting was criminal. We all see it, we all know the effort he’ll put in, why can’t the coaching team.

Look at the fecking state of this midfield. How can this manager not see this and address it?

9km9y2c4iy3c1.jpg
Embarrassing, that is why he should obviously be sacked. I find it incredibly so many on here are saying things are starting to look bad for him when we have looked like this for sometime

Manchester United boss Erik ten Hag speaking to BBC Match of the Day: "We have to give credit to Newcastle, they played better than us tonight. We started well, had a chance with Garnacho, but then after that they were better.

"For a long period they were better than us, and we went 1-0 down. To be fair at the end of the game we came back and had some good opportunities. Reguilon, very good chance. The offside goal. So yes in the end we fought back but we need to do this over a whole game.

On workrate of the team tonight: "You could say we defended quite well [as per the statistics], but I prefer for us to stay further away from our goal. I'd prefer us to have more of the ball and play in their half. We had our moments where we could make good movements but it was not enough. We need to be more dominant in a game.

On uncertainty between goalkeeper and defence: "In the start there were a few situations, but they picked it up and it worked well.

On travel issues before the game: "You have to deal with that, it can never be an excuse."

Defended well? Was he watching another game?

Let’s see which player he picks a fight with this week. That seems to be his response to poor games.

Status
Not open for further replies.