Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
He will do well to last this season, if he keeps things the way they are.

He needs to show some humility, and admit that his approach isn't working. He doesn't know his best team, or how he wants the team to play. He doesn't trust any of his players and they do not trust him.

City were strong today, but did not need to be great. It's almost as if ETH doesn't really appreciate what is going on. He's lost, deluded.

I would use this season to get some youngsters in and change the energy at the club. And secondly, I would make sure, make sure, he gets rid of a lot of players, because they are changing the nature of the club. Sack the poor players, Pay them off if neccesary but get them out of the club.
At this point I would be more than happy to see rough diamonds every week if they are, in essence, more suited to the system than the experienced players. Trouble is, we have a lack of elite quality in every position, in one way or another, which, I’m afraid, extends throughout the whole squad. The players we have could be set up and drilled in a way so as to maximise points, minimise defeats, minimise goals conceded. The football would be regressive and the end result would be marginally different.

Looking at the teams we’re up against, fourth should be possible but nothing we can do with these players will make that easy. They are not good enough.

Back to your point, I’d rather EtH sticks to his principles even if he “crashes and burns” than any realistic alternative I can think of.

There have been missteps and there are mitigations, however, the club really needs to ask itself what it wants from the future and how Ten Hag figures into that.

This decision can't just be about: Do we stick with Ten Hag. It has to be about where we want the club to go.

Ten Hag has tried to take the club towards a more possession based, patient and pressing football. This requires a massive reshaping of the squad, which has only just started. Clearly, lots of the players we have either don't want to do what he wants to or don't believe it'll work. You can see that, particularly in games where we're pressing super high, they fear being caught on the counter. To make this style of football work we need faster, better ball playing defenders (and more besides).

So if we're going to keep on going with this style of football that should have a big impact on if we stick with Ten Hag. There's no point in firing him and getting a coach who wants to do similar things, if we're not committed to this way of playing and this style.

However, if the club feels like this experiment with Ajax style football has run its course and we need to be a bit more direct and play differently, then clearly Ten Hag isn't the guy for that. He's just not the right coach.

It has to be a conscious decision though, made by the club's executive. That we want to play in a different way and we're going to be recruiting to suit that. Otherwise we just end up lurching between different approaches, as we have since Sir Alex retired. We need a Director of Football who really has a plan for the club, has the buy-in of the higher ups and can make that call.
To be fair we pressed well 3 times in the first half and had perfect opportunity to capitalise but kept choosing the wrong option (McTominay weak shot rather than play Hojlund in). There's a distinct lack of conviction in what we do

i love the ‘who else’ narrative over sacking Ten Hag.

literally any football manager who could get us putting 5 passes together, scoring a few and a bit more organised at the back would be a huge improvement at this moment in time. The pool is huge

I'm just not sure anyone can with this group of players. They're beyond shite, and stupid to boot.

Go to Google, Google who the top 20 young managers are in the world right now and take your pick from any of the reasonable options in those lists. If that doesn't tickle your fancy then there's always Potter, Zidane, Valverde, Bielsa, or if you like something more home grown, Big Sam.

Sorry, Im not gonna do your homework for you.

You said there “loads of options”.

So nail your colors down…who’s doing a better job at the minute ?

Hojlund is a 20 year old kid. If you have a serious scoring problem you don't bring a 20 year old kid to solve it. It is elementary.

Hojlund might be a great scorer someday (or he might be not) but ETH will be sacked long before that.
Massive mistake. And that is not hindsight, it was. As was the £60m for Mason Mount who we didn't need. And the £47.2m for Onana, when we had a good keeper in De Gea. A club that has to borrow to spend, could use that £47.2m on Onana and the £85m on Hojlund and get a proven player in .... Harry Kane. And still have money to spare. £70m for Casemiro I always felt was a mistake mainly because of the length of his contract. A four year contract for a 30-year-old with an option to extend to a fifth is absolutely mental. And it is not the first time we have made sensationally crazy recruitment decisions. Weghorst anyone? The showpony that is Antony for an eyewatering £82m who had worse stats than Gakpo at a better club in the same Dutch league at the time.

Only Chelsea have a more crazed vision on recruitment. But even Chelsea are not spending stupid money on old players. Actually, Chelsea are not a good example of a club spending wisely, as we all know..

Potter? Yikes.

Would struggle to do worse than Southgate and Potter. Give Carrick a crack before those 2 jokers.

De Zerbi for me.

They haven't won any of their last four league games, have conceded more goals in the league than any team higher than 17th, and he does weird pointless squad rotation every game.

i love the ‘who else’ narrative over sacking Ten Hag.

literally any football manager who could get us putting 5 passes together, scoring a few and a bit more organised at the back would be a huge improvement at this moment in time. The pool is huge

Who then? Who from this huge pool are you replacing him with ?

It will cost more to replace the team so just replace him with someone good instead. One fix can improve multiple players.
Do you think if Postecoglu or De Zerbi or Unai Emery came in now (and I don't know they would touch the club with a barge pole if it wasn't for the money) that they would do anything with this bunch of prima donna misfits?

Why is anyone talking about options to replace Ten Hag. Things need to change but I have always said it is a top to bottom thing. The club is toxic. Good players and managers come here to die - and laugh all the way to the bank.

That doesn't mean he's lost the players :lol:
You know you've lost the players when they literally stop bothering to run and play. Not when they still hunt for wins, win 3 on the bounce despite lacking confidence and then lose comprehensively today.
Come on, they gave up after 60 minutes today and resorted to sulking and charging around trying to nail people- and that's his skipper!

These players down tools all the time and it is getting boring now it really is. No manager has a chance.

He shouldn’t be on the list.

Whoever is on the list will need YEARS to sort this mess out. We all need to wake up to that.
It might, but it will improve year on year like it should and we'll all be fine with it. Instead of this one step forward, two steps back approach we currently do.

They haven't won any of their last four league games, have conceded more goals in the league than any team higher than 17th, and he does weird pointless squad rotation every game.

Yeah he’s managing Brighton who sell their best player every 6 months yet continues to play good football regardless of having to start Welbeck, Lallana and Milner regularly

They’re still 7th in the league by the way, above us.

Fraud unfortunately. Hugely overrated, based solely off of a UCL run four years ago. In reality one game, two legs with one of the best individual performances ever.

Has zero nouce, tactically inept, cannot manage a game, huge nepotism in his transfers, just all round awful.

I'm out.
it is very unfortunate because I thought he is the one. i thinks that Ajax team made him look good. but looking back now how he lost those Spurs, Chelsea and Banfica games, it demostrate his obvious poor game managment.

reliance on two players who can produce a class moment. Dropping them doesnt work when your team cant pass a football and theres no gameplan.

this is exactly what Ole did

The only time we've looked remotely decent this season is when those two weren't playing though. It's also the game in which we scored the most goals. So, what's the logic in not trying that lineup again?

And replace him with who exactly ?

Someone who can actually coach players at the top level. We signed David Moyes, two coaches who were well past their best (one who was 15 years past their best) and an ex-player with no experience whatsoever.

This is not a good pool from which to draw the conclusion “it won’t work with anyone”

This is awful and has been for some time. He can’t coach the players to carry out instructions on the pitch. He can’t even have them going into a season fit. He is failing at the very basics.

He got his players, spent his 400 million and made the team worse. There is absolutely no way anyone can say, despite the problems at board level, that no one could have done any better.

Top organizations need to be decisive. He should be sacked this evening. It’s ridiculous he is still here.

Do you think if Postecoglu or De Zerbi or Unai Emery came in now (and I don't know they would touch the club with a barge pole if it wasn't for the money) that they would do anything with this bunch of prima donna misfits?
Could they be worse? For whatever reason the players aren't doing what Ten Hag wants them to (his words). Maybe they will for someone they don't dislike?

Because they're set up to look shite. The gaps between the defence and midfield, or midfield and forwards are huge and we're relying on individual brilliance to get us a result.

That's assuming they're not too thick to properly execute what they're being told to.

I'm not denying we're unbelievably shite now, but I'm just beyond expecting anything different from these players with a different manager.

Come on, they gave up after 60 minutes today and resorted to sulking and charging around trying to nail people- and that's his skipper!

These players down tools all the time and it is getting boring now it really is. No manager has a chance.
After 60 mins today, yeah. A circumstance of the drubbing rather than them not giving Sa shit about the manager. Which is why it's not happening in general YET.

I think he’d actually be a good youth coach, that’s also where he originated from and is probably what he’s best at. His coaching methods seem to be akin to a PE teacher, asking his players to run 14 km after a loss, trying to play his favorites into form and persisting with older, more experienced group leaders because he dare not question them, but occasionally standing up to those that question him in order to gain some authority among the rest of group.

He’s definitely not a manager for a top club, and the amount of time we give him is not going to change that. I expect him to finish the season, and probably even get a new contract in the meantime, and we may actually get on a decent run of form at some point but in the long run we will never win anything relevant with him. May get another cup here and there if we don’t have to play anyone good on the path to final, mind.

It's not the time to replace him. We have to let him get through this season. Plenty of time to make top 4. Need to get key players back.

Sacking him achieves nothing at this point. You think some other manager is going to come in and get the team working with that XI, against City? Please.

Hes here for the foreseeable, the players need to start playing for him.

Fraud unfortunately. Hugely overrated, based solely off of a UCL run four years ago. In reality one game, two legs with one of the best individual performances ever.

Has zero nouce, tactically inept, cannot manage a game, huge nepotism in his transfers, just all round awful.

I'm out.
Yep, I think more people are going to come around to this in the coming weeks. Will be very difficult for him come Christmas time.

Ten Hag needs to go now. It's his 2nd season

no style of play

Ang and Brighton manager are doing it in their 1st season. That's nothing to do at board level but coaching on the training ground.

Yup; fecking shocking.

This could be the months he's sacked as we binned Ole and Jose in November. It'll be more of the same for the next man, though.
It will be more of the same because the squad is a mess and not fit for purpose. Was vital he got recruitment right and he's blown it.

Graham Potter that won 38% of his games at Chelsea is your first choice ?
I am willing to write off one or two seasons for Potter to create the foundation when I voted him here then. Why not?
Keeping to wash and rinse every two years is more damaging than a true reset.

That's assuming they're not too thick to properly execute what they're being told to.

I'm not denying we're unbelievably shite now, but I'm just beyond expecting anything different from these players with a different manager.
They're not that bad, some of the players have proven before that in the right setup and environment they can do great things. Right now he's playing to no one's strengths because he doesn't trust the defence or his new signings. It's panic stations football every game. There's zero trust.

Status
Not open for further replies.