Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
The results are one thing but the main issue for me are the transfers. He’s blown a load of money on absolute shite.

If he keeps his job until the summer do we then give him yet another 200m? I mean what’s his argument he needs players for his ‘system’ that doesn’t seem to exist?

The league table doesn’t lie but I can’t help but feel we got lucky last season with Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs having a shocking year.

Its a mess from top to bottom, its not like we’re even unlucky we’be been crap and the football is shite
Are there any players left in Eredivisie or the league has ceased to exist cause all of its players now play for Man United? If the latter, he won't know what to do with the money and will put them in an index fund.

Our best game this season (the only decent one?) has been without Rashford and Bruno, ETH needs to let those two ride the bench or he'll be jobhunting by January.
He won’t drop those two. They’re too big at the club right now. If it comes down to that he’ll be gone soon.

The club already briefing statements of support shows how bad things have got.

I hope ETH can turn this around by putting more faith in the younger, hungrier players.

Many are talking about him being too stubborn, but I wish he had been stronger when it came to nailing a brief for the team of “the best transition team in the world”. That was an alarm bell/red flag for me.

There is a concerning atmosphere/momentum of inevitability at the moment

Why does Erik ten Hag always shake his head from side to side? It happens every time I see him talk. Does it signify some sort of implicit association with negativity?

I don't know, my feeling is rather that Ten Hag adapted his system toonmuch tonthe expectations with all the "we want tonbecome.the best transition team in the world" stuff. He didn't achieve what he achieved with Ajax playing transition football. If the club wanted that, they could have sticksd with Rangnick or signed a coach who actually stands ford this philosophy, say Roger Schmidt, Marco Rose or Hasenhüttl or something like this.

One reason for Ten Hag adapting is that he tried to keep what was working, I guess. The best players at United over the last years were Bruno and Rashford. But I'm not sure their play style is suitable for the very top teams at all as they play very risky and wasteful. It may lead to them having excellent statistics when in form but the team itself would probably score more (and concede less) when they played more grounded. Meanwhile, you see that players like Antony and Sancho who like to go for the simple option and play more patiently struggle to make an impact. While I'm sure this has much to do with them being out of form (when not suspended, that is), it's only natural that in a team that consists of "patient" and "impatient" players, the impatient ones will stand out more as they go for the risky option and finish off a passing sequence earlier than the patient players would. Hence the "all he does is passing it back, he never challenges his full back or makes something happen" criticism directed at Sancho and Antony.

Whatever you want to do, you should do it with consequence. If you want to play transition football, build a team consisting of players who excel at it. But then you should sign the players for it as well. I don't think a transition can challenge City, Liverpool or Arsenal over the course of 38 games but iif the club insists on the "United way", then fine.
Liverpool are/were a transition team. However they could also keep the ball very well too. It's ok to have 'impatient' players as you call it so long as they're balanced out by patient players. Trent, Mane, Salah, Robertson were the risk takers in their team but they were balanced out by Henderson, Fabinho, Firmino and Wijnaldum. At United right now there's only 1 midfielder in the entire squad that is proven to be able to keep the ball at PL level (Eriksen) and he has no legs. Right now we have Casemiro, Bruno, Rashford all constantly trying to force the issue but no one else can reliably slow the play down and keep us ticking. Mount is not that player, Eriksen doesn't have the legs. We need Reguilon back ASAP so we can start Amrabat in midfield.

De Gea, Ronaldo and Sancho must be pissing their pants.
Hows that?

De Gea can't get a team, Sancho has been exposed as a waste of space and likely won't play for a big club again and the only place Ronaldo could go on a free was to some tin pot saudi team because no one else was interested.

Yeah, all three are having such great success stories in comparison they must be "pissing their pants"

To add to the points made above, I'd love to ask EtH why he gave up on the idea of having a high volume, high pass success rate midfielder in the team to retain possession and create pressure.

I look at the current elite teams in the league and all of them have a midfielder hitting 90% completion with either high carrying or progression abilities.

Rodri, Bissouma, Rice, Jones/Mac Allister are all hitting these marks and are supported by a more "creative" passer.

His first choice Midfields pass completion stats are

Mount 83%
Casemiro 82%
Bruno 70%

We give the ball away far too often. We treat the ball like a hot potato and our attacking positions are so extreme, we're wide open on the break.

Amrabat was a last minute signing to plug the gap, but I don't understand why it wasn't a priority.

When do one of the LBs return? Shaw Malacia or Reg?

One of them returning, Amrabat moving to midfield makes us so much better.

To add to the points made above, I'd love to ask EtH why he gave up on the idea of having a high volume, high pass success rate midfielder in the team to retain possession and create pressure.

I look at the current elite teams in the league and all of them have a midfielder hitting 90% completion with either high carrying or progression abilities.

Rodri, Bissouma, Rice, Jones/Mac Allister are all hitting these marks and are supported by a more "creative" passer.

His first choice Midfields pass completion stats are

Mount 83%
Casemiro 82%
Bruno 70%

We give the ball away far too often. We treat the ball like a hot potato and our attacking positions are so extreme, we're wide open on the break.

Amrabat was a last minute signing to plug the gap, but I don't understand why it wasn't a priority.
Jesus 70%.

One of Casemiro, Onana or Dalot would have hit the ball long 10 seconds into that video

Because they lack the confidence/awareness/technique to stick to the plan so they panic/rush it.

The positions of the players there pretty much match up to what we do in build up. RB and CB working together create an angle with the GK to release to the dropping CM. Playing it through the lines to the RB, back infield, 4 attackers pinning the back line, etc...

Rather then sacking ETH and appointing an interim Id rather the club writes the season off a different way (as that’s exactly what they’d be doing by sacking ETH).

A root an branch restructure to how the club is run from a footballing perspective. An actual plan for the club that isn’t “sign that manager and buy players he wants”. An actual joined up football strategy where the manager is the final piece , not the one who has to make it all work.

This is what successful clubs do. They don’t just rely on a manager making everything work.

Keep ETH, tell him of your overhaul and that he has to accept it but he will have input and go and look to see what all other successful clubs are doing. And then do what Roman Abramovic did, poach all the best people from all the best clubs to make the most of this new structure.

or we sack ETH and hope the next manager just works which is the equivalent of putting an umbrella over the parts of the leaking roof of old Trafford.

I'd do all of the bolded plus change manager. Restructure but bring in a new manager that felt he could provide something good with what we have, for the time being. I would be grilling managers on what they can do with these players, how much of us they have watched and why they feel they can use players in certain ways and what they feel ETH has got wrong. What their tactical set up would look like and what the style of football would look like in year 1, 2 and 3 (if they get that far). I think ETH isn't getting a fraction of the output that these players are capable of, and we need somebody that will.

Then the restructure can happen in the background whilst, hopefully, something tangible to work from starts happening on the pitch. I think both of these things can happen concurrently.

I personally think Mount, Hojlund and Amrabat will end up being good signings in the end. Onana needs a solid defense in front of him first before we can truly judge.

Agree with you.

Stupid mistakes aside, I think Onana is heavily exposed by the fact that we play with a makeshift defence at the moment. With the first XI back four, we would’ve easily avoided the first 2 goals.

Because they lack the confidence/awareness/technique to stick to the plan so they panic/rush it.

The positions of the players there pretty much match up to what we do in build up. RB and CB working together create an angle with the GK to release to the dropping CM. Playing it through the lines to the RB, back infield, 4 attackers pinning the back line, etc...
Yes the set up is similar but the way we play is different. I doubt the excessive long balls we always do are because of a lack of something. I think it’s a tactical instruction when you factor in some of what ETH has said about how he wants us to play.

Give him a new deal and let him get to the bottom of the mess.

Sir Alex was saved by the good work he was doing in the background and changing the culture.

I have tried to be patient with ETH, and always accepted that he inherited one of the most difficult jobs in world football. The expectations at our great club are like no other, which is as it should be. .
Are the expectations here really like no other? He'd have a job for life if he finished 4th every season.

He'd be out on his arse at the elite clubs who target winning the CL

It’s their mess.
12 of the players in our team have been signed by ETH. Add the promotions of Hannibal, Garnacho and co and it is half of the squad.

When does it become ETH’s mess? I guess we know it. When we sack him, and the current cultists build a new cult towards the new manager while simultaneously declaring ETH a clown.

Are the expectations here really like no other? He'd have a job for life if he finished 4th every season.

He'd be out on his arse at the elite clubs who target winning the CL
Exactly. It's unbelievable how many fans have dropped their standards while still thinking they are fans of an elite club.

12 of the players in our team have been signed by ETH. Add the promotions of Hannibal, Garnacho and co and it is half of the squad.

When does it become ETH’s mess? I guess we know it. When we sack him, and the current cultists build a new cult towards the new manager while simultaneously declaring ETH a clown.
Do you believe Erik is the actual problem?

That’s not really how it works though is it. The people still in love with Ole, slate Ten Hag. The people still in love with Jose, slate those who came after him. The idea of backing the manager and finding fault in the organization around him is now a cult is hilarious.

Exactly. It's unbelievable how many fans have dropped their standards while still thinking they are fans of an elite club.
Let’s be brutally honest here. We were an elite club. We are now far from that. Historically yes. But not currently.

Of all the excuses being made for him I think my favorite one is that our struggles are down to the fact that he’s trying to get our players to play this incredible, complex and beautiful possession style football and they are struggling with the demands of it.

The excuses for all of our managers post-Fergie have been quite something.

He needs to bite the bullet and drop one of Bruno or Mount. Play Amrabat and Casemiro in CM with one of Bruno or Mount ahead of them.

Casemiro, Bruno and Mount isn’t going to work, at least not now. We need some stability in the team and that starts from midfield.

As a manager, how do you stop individual errors? Serious question. Because our individual errors led to last night's loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.